Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Oct 2014, 18:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.6!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 12 of 14 [208 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun 2014, 08:12    Post subject:  

That's a lot of stuff to be running off one USB port on the server machine.

Do you have a machine with more ports to try? Just load up Samba-TNG and hook up your USB hard drive.
drblock2

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun 2014, 07:47    Post subject: Problem with Lucid Revitalized as Server  

The practical problem - accessing my music collection seems to have been solved. Both remote over the network and direct from the USB drive to the server connected to the hi-fi system in the library are working with Quirky 6.1.4.

There are a number of hardware adjustments I could try - switching the USB hub, removing the USB stick except for the few minutes a week when it is needed for my remote back-up, connecting the USB drive directly through one of the two USB ports, using the touch pad rather than the mouse, etc. And I may try these out of curiosity. The difficulty is that the present configuration worked flawlessly for two months and now flawlessly again with Quirky.

I have heard that Puppy registers complaints about drive failures in log files somewhere, but have no idea where to look. Perhaps, this would be a good place to start.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun 2014, 08:15    Post subject:  

Try the dmesg command.
drblock2

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014, 11:37    Post subject: Problem with Lucid Revitalized as Server  

Sometimes, when all else fails, pouring out ones heart to a search engine can get useful results. So, I googled: "linux external usb hard drive disconnects during data transfer".

All the results led ultimately to this link:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/349767, which describes the symptoms just as I did in my first post.

This bug was first reported in March 2009 with the 2.6.28-11.37 kernel. It is confirmed for Lucid by Thorsten Hesemeyer:

Quote:
Have the same issue with Lucid on Lenovo Thinkpad W500 with external Hitachi HTS72101 0G9SA00 hard drive when copying data from the external drive to local hard drive and vice versa.

Kernel 2.6.32-22-generic-pae
Description: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Release: 10.04
Codename: lucid

This issue highly depends on the hardware combination.
1. other external hard drives like Lenovo secure hard disk 160GB do not show this issue
2. same Hitachi HDD attached to a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p does not have this issue.

/var/log/messages entries when copying fails:
May 11 16:33:20 user-laptop kernel: [ 5060.404169] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 5

Apparently, a patch was released for the 2.6.38 kernel in Natty and a fix with the 3.0.1 kernel.

Dealing with this is definitely beyond my capabilities. I hope one of the developers will find time to look into it.

In the meantime, I will experiment with lupu3hd and the superlupus, which offer other kernels.

Edit: Meanwhile, first results are in - if you have the problem, lupu3hd will not solve it. This is not very surprising since lupu3hd is based on kernel 2.6.37.6, and the patch was not introduced until kernel 2.6.38. Nevertheless, worth a try. On to superlupus

Edit 2: As promised, installed lupusuper1 with the 3.0.25 kernel (latest version 20140321). I reused the save file from lupu3hd by renaming it to sulusave.2fs. This seems to have solved the problem. I have tested the new kernel with two music files (37 min., 36.6 MB and 30 min., 51.9 MB) and an avi-file (simple transfer: 33 sec., 367.9 MB).

I will continue to test over the next few days and report back if there are any problems.
n0ukf

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jun 2014, 18:10    Post subject: Re: Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.6!
Subject description: Lupu-528-005 upgraded with recent versions of many components.

rerwin wrote:
The popular Lucid Puppy has been upgraded with its major components brought up to date. Although links to the individual disk image (ISO) files are provided below, the initial download site is:

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dc28t2rkua3kw/Disk_Images-5.2.8.6

This thread is intended as the maintenance center for further support of Lucid Pup.

I don't feel like going through all 12 pages of this thread to find an answer...
Will these disk images do an upgrade install without losing my installed extra apps? I'd rather not have to go through and reinstall them again after an update (perhaps forgetting some).

bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jun 2014, 20:51    Post subject:  

n0ukf,

What version of Lucid Puppy are you using now?
How is it installed?
Full or frugal?
Installed on what?

Do you understand how to upgrade for different type installs?

n0ukf

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2014, 19:57    Post subject:  

Lucid 5.2.8.0, full install from thumb drive live image on Asus Eee900A

How to upgrade and not lose my installed apps (like what happens with a Windows 'Restore' install) is what I was hoping to find here.

bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2014, 23:25    Post subject:  

n0ukf,

I assume your full install is on a hard drive partition.
The steps below should update and still retain any programs you have installed.

There is a chance you may have an even newer version of a program or file, already installed, and it gets replaced by a version that is in the Lupu5.2.8.6 iso

If you are using Lucid 5.2.8.0 you should be able to upgrade the full install using the main Lupu 5.2.8.6 iso.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/60k6t8x53yld4a2/lupu-5.2.8.6-20140321.iso

That one has the same Linux kernel.

The Lupu3hd version and the Lupusuper versions use different Linux kernels, from the original Lucid Puppy.
Not sure if they would do a clean update to a version of Lucid Puppy that was not using the same kernel.

To upgrade a full install (FULL INSTALL ONLY).

To upgrade burn a new CD of the newer version or a live USB flash drive.
Boot with this new version.
Use boot option (puppy pfix=ram).
Run the Puppy Universal Installer.
Select the same location for install as the Puppy you are upgrading.
Select Full Install.
Choose "upgrade", not "wipe".
No need to reinstall grub.
It will save your previous settings.
(may want to edit Grub menu.lst to change title info to newer version)
Shutdown computer.
If you are asked if you want to make a save file.
Answer no.
Remove live Puppy CD or USB drive.
Boot computer.
At boot menu select your upgraded Puppy.

Quote:
Notes: 1) If you have previously used the Lucid 5.2.8 Live CD, it may have copied the lupu_528.sfs file to your hard drive. When the new CD boots it will use that lupu_528.sfs without telling you, so you need to delete it from your drive, or rename it, before you boot the new CD. This will happen even if the lupu_528.sfs is in a directory. 2) If you use a frugal install,. a simple trick is to download the ISO, click it to open it, and copy the lupu_528.sfs into the directory that holds the frugal install, replacing the old one.

There is always the standard warning.
Backup anything you can not afford to loose. Exclamation Exclamation

sindi

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun 2014, 09:02    Post subject: midori in /usr/local/bin (nonfunctioning)  

If I type midori from a terminal I get a list of libraries then 'Aborted'.
2.5MB file. I deleted it.
There is also an fmradioshell.
So far everything else works perfectly
even on my Thinkpad 390E 400MHz (PIII) with
256MB. I kill Rox, cupsd, etc. to save RAM
but it still runs out online even with Opera.
384MB is adequate if you are careful.
256MB works with GTK-Youtube-Viewer
and 400MHz with 240p.
sindi

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun 2014, 09:22    Post subject: meeboview, yad, xkbconfigmanager  

meeboview directs to wwwm.meebo.com, which if corrected to
www.meebo.com tells you meebo was bought by
google. I would delete meeboview.

yad - can't recognize image file format

xkbconfigmanager points to /usr/local/apps/Xkb...
There is no xkb in lupu. Doesn't the
xkb package come with these pieces?
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun 2014, 17:40    Post subject:  

sindi,
Thanks for your report and cleanup suggestions. I have worked some of them. The next release of 5.2.8.6 will have fmradioshell and meeboview removed.

I would not delete midori because I see that it is used for managing CUPS printing -- essential, I'd say. The messages are only warnings that do not appear to impact the use of midori for CUPS. Running programs from the command line may often produce insignificant warnings.

I know nothing about yad or xkb. But there are components of xkb in the directory you mention. The xkbconfigmanager appears to get run as part of the mouse/keyboard wizard, Advanced Xorg keyboard configuration. Does it not work as you expect?

Although you do not say which lupu version you are using, I would assume lupumini-5.2.8.6. You should also be using a swap file or partition, with 256 megs of RAM.
Richard
rmcellig

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul 2014, 07:18    Post subject:  

At the moment I am using Lucid 5.2.8 (005) on my old Dell 3000 desktop (frugal install, 512MB save file).

All I need for this machine that I use all the time is Audacity, Filezilla, Audacious or similar lightweight audio player. Pretty basic.

What would you recommend I use from the various lucid derivatives that you offer that would make a better alternative to Lucid 5.2.8 that I am currently running?

I LOVE Openbox for it's lightness and flexibility.
rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2014, 13:29    Post subject:  

rmcellig,
Thanks for your inquiry. The simplest upgrade would be to use one of the "lupus" (instead of the 3HD or supers). Download the one that matches your current setup -- lupumini if you are currently using a zdrv SFS file, otherwise lupu itself. If you are using lupulibre 005, then take lupulibre 5.2.8.6.

Whichever .iso file you choose, instead of burning and installing it, copy it to /tmp, right-click on it to see its contents, then copy the corresponding files to your frugal installation (initrd.gz, lupu_528.sfs, vmlinuz, zl528332.sfs), replacing the originals. Or, you might rename the originals first, so you can go back to them if necessary.

You should then be able to reboot and see your puppy as before. If you have added some puppy-related packages to 005, you may see a popup advising uninstalling some of them, if they have been updated for 5.2.8.6. Most likely, the popup should just say that no uninstallations are necessary.

Once you have that worked out to your satisfaction, you might consider upgrading to lupusuper2, using the same technique, substituting sulu_002.sfs for lupu_528.sfs (and, optionally, zs002248.sfs for zl528332.sfs). However, in that case you would also need to rename your pupsave file(s) from "pupsave..." to sulusave...".
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014, 15:53    Post subject:  

The pet_packages_Lucid directory at ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/ seems to be broken.
Also, seems to be down at other repositories.
Any idea why?

Moat

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014, 16:51    Post subject:  

^^ Confirmed here - and same goes for the pet_packages-slacko14.1 and pet_packages-slacko6414.1 directories on that page. Updating?

Bob
Page 12 of 14 [208 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: