Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 00:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 62 of 68 [1007 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 Next
rerwin

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 16:33    Post subject:  

belham2,
Thank you for your good feedback and kind comments about my efforts. I am not planning to abandon lupu, but it is getting harder to keep up with browsers for it. (I depend on watchdog to deal with their challenges.) I suspect that more and more people will feel they should move on from lupu because of security concerns, although I assume there are uses where that is not important.

Regarding redshiftGUI, I look forward to hearing the results of your attempt to get it working. I am surprised that none of the backends work on the laptop, but don't know what to do about it.

Regarding the sound card, if you give us the details about it and the driver that works for it in other pups (wary? precise? racy?), I could look into maybe finding or compiling a version for lupu if there is no other solution.
Richard
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 17:26    Post subject:  

rerwin (in part) wrote:
.. I am not planning to abandon lupu

Sorry to bother you; maybe someone could help me boot this updated LuPu.
I hope this link is correct:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=969064#969064
Thank you.

rerwin

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 21:04    Post subject: Re: Lucid Pup 2017 release beta available  

sheldonisaac wrote:
I've not been able to boot it on this Dell E6410.

Most recently, I have put the files on an ext3 partition
Code:

/mnt/sda2> ls -l vmlinuz initrd.gz  lupu_528.sfs
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root   1922867 Sep 23 16:16 initrd.gz
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 198594592 Sep 23 16:16 lupu_528.sfs
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root   2228976 Sep 23 16:16 vmlinuz

and did a grub4dosconfig which resulted in this in menu.lst
Code:
title Lupu 528 (sda2)
  uuid 4bdf9ac9-3f53-484c-b768-a129c2671ff6
  kernel /vmlinuz  pmedia=atahd  pfix=fsck
  initrd /initrd.gz

Does it work if you replace
with
rootnoverify (hd0,1)

Also, try the newer version of grub4dos (grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.2) which supports grub2, available from shinobar:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=384995#384995

I plan to add that to the next release.
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Wed 04 Oct 2017, 10:16    Post subject: Re: Lucid Pup 2017 release beta available  

rerwin (in part) wrote:
sheldonisaac (in part) wrote:
I've not been able to boot it on this Dell E6410.

Does it work if you replace
with
rootnoverify (hd0,1)

No, Richard. It still did the red "pausing" near the beginning of the boot sequence, then proceeded all/most of the way, before hanging, with two indicator lights flashing in the strip above the keyboard.

But I apologize for a blunder!

I just now copied the 3 essential files to an ext4 partition on an older computer, the Dell Mini 9, with BIOS A06 of 12/29/2009. On that computer, it booted normally with the rootnoverify. I think it'd work OK also with a menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig.

I kind-of vaguely recall a similar problem a few years ago; maybe it was that LuPu did not boot on this Dell E6410 with BIOS A11. But SuLu does.

Oh, is it perhaps something related to video? Maybe I should try with booting nox, and then try xvesa?

UPDATE: Yes, that worked, in this Dell E6410. I'm on now with Dillo.
How could I arrange to use something other than xvesa? And what is supposedly the reason why xvesa is "not as good" as the video produced by xorg? Please excuse my ignorance.

Thank you,
Sheldon

charlie6

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct 2017, 03:54    Post subject:  

Hi Richard ! Smile

Tons of thanks for this revitalization !

1. The latest at now iso lupu-5.2.8.7-20170923-beta.iso runs OOTB here on an HP 2530p elitebook 2nd hand bought.
I'll look for installing gnumeric 1.10.17 (don't know if it could be ever possible).

report video reports:

Quote:
# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid , version 528

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe ddc dri dri2 extmod fb glx i2c kbd mouse ramdac record vgahw

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

2. I also got a try on lupusuper4 lupusuper4-5.2.8.7-k3.9.9-20161228.iso on the same laptop: X fails to start automatically; only the vesa driver works (manually selected when launching xorgwizard when prompted - there are one or two posts in this thread reporting the same issue with lupusuper4 installed on another laptop Dell 620).
On the other hand, I have Pemasu's upup-raring-3.9.9.2 still running on these very same laptop using the intel driver (I plan to copy its intel video driver onto lupusuper4 to see what happens...)

Best regards, Charlie
TwoPuppies

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 00:42    Post subject: Seamonkey-2.48 modifications  

I have GQview 2.0.4 installed in Lucid-5.2.8.7.

It has always worked just fine, but the other day I clicked on the Help button in GQview to open the User Manual (something I haven't done for a while), and nothing happened. The User Manual is in HTML format, and usually opens in Seamonkey.

I have Seamonkey-2.48 installed, including the modifications provided here to enable it to run and update correctly in Lucid. A bit of further investigation revealed that the User Manual opens without any problem in Seamonkey-2.46. Trying to open it in version 2.48 results in the following error:
Code:
(gconftool-2:29773): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_engine_get_local_for_addresses: assertion `addresses != NULL' failed
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/seamonkey/libxul.so:
libxcb-shm.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

This would seem to indicate that the problem lies with the glibc219_runtime modifications that have been applied to get Seamonkey-2.48 working

Any idea how I might get the GQview User Manual up and running in Seamonkey again without needing to revert to Seamonkey-2.46?

Edit: I probably should make it clear that the User Manual displays perfectly well in Seamonkey-2.48 if I go to the actual HTML Index page and click on that. Using the same method, it also works with Midori, Dillo, and presumably any other Browser. It just will not open from within GQview any more.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 04:13    Post subject:  

@Richard/anyone:-

Been running lupusuper2-5.2.8.7-k3.2.48-20150702 for quite a while now. Very much enjoying it, too. Now, then...

A question:-

Would you (or anyone else, for that matter) happen to have, or know where I can get hold of, the correct devx for this particular build? I've tracked down the kernel sources package in Ally's superb archives.....but I'd like to have both, obviously (and the devx is more often needed for 'straight-forward' compiling.)

TIA!

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 05:48    Post subject: Re: Lucid Pup 2017 release beta available  

belham2 wrote:
rerwin wrote:
I have assembled the next version of 5.2.8.7 for 2017. The 2017 release disk images are here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5il6yef4h3sdj

Hi Rerwin,

Just wanted to give you feedback on this latest release. Mostly all good. Only two issues I can find after using it all weekend and again tonight: redshiftgui loads and runs, but nothing happens (I'll later find the problem with this easily, not a big deal right now) and, second, on this core i3 laptop that I 'frugal' installed lupu too, it cannot find any sound. I know the sound works as many other pups have used this laptop. It's a bit of a problem, but I am not sure what to do to fix it. Thought I'd ask you first before I go rooting around trying my fixes. Also, I will flop this 'frugal' install over to my P4 machine tomorrow and see if the sound (and redshift) problems appear there.

As a side note, I'm sure gonna hate to this lupu end. Why? Simple: it still runs great and I can see your hard work and touches everywhere. It's nice to see a pup creator/ maintainer be like this. You've done great with this, Richard, and deserve credit Wink . Anyhow, here's some pics, the titles explain them, Palemoon installed from the Menu script so fast I couldn't believe it, and the pop-up boxes for everything that you do in Lupu, like I said, your touches & attention to detail are everywhere:

@belham2:-

With regard to your redshift 'problem', it sounds like it might be your hardware that's causing the issue. However, have a look here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111450

SCT simply allows you to set the colour 'temperature' directly, in the terminal. I've tried this out in a few Pups, and it's as easy as pie to set up. It doesn't have redshift's automatic bluer/redder back-and-forth with the sunrise/sunset and your location, it's true.....but it does work.

Just load your devx, enter the line given in the 'Read.me' into the terminal, hit 'Enter', and it should compile the binary without issue. Then move the binary into /usr/bin, and enter the colour temp value you want directly into the terminal.

Works a treat; it's worth a try.....and it's a long-standing, pre-existing *nix tool that's been around for a long while, apparently.

Mike. Wink

rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 15:22    Post subject: Re: Seamonkey-2.48 modifications  

TwoPuppies wrote:
I have Seamonkey-2.48 installed, including the modifications provided here to enable it to run and update correctly in Lucid.
glibc219_runtime is already part of the beta iso. Please uninstall the pet, to use the embedded version, which might contain a subtle difference.
rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 15:39    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

Would you (or anyone else, for that matter) happen to have, or know where I can get hold of, the correct devx for this particular build?
The kernel source and devx SFS files are in "Supplemental SFS Files" in the third message of this thread. The devx file is for all releases of all sulus:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/pbqakqs1piqf1pq/sulu_devx_002-4.sfs
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 17:33    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:

Would you (or anyone else, for that matter) happen to have, or know where I can get hold of, the correct devx for this particular build?
The kernel source and devx SFS files are in "Supplemental SFS Files" in the third message of this thread. The devx file is for all releases of all sulus:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/pbqakqs1piqf1pq/sulu_devx_002-4.sfs

Thanks for that, Richard. Much appreciated.

Cheers!

Mike. Wink

TwoPuppies

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 02:31    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
glibc219_runtime is already part of the beta iso. Please uninstall the pet, to use the embedded version, which might contain a subtle difference.

I was actually using the previous (December 2016) version, not the current 2017 Beta version. So, following your advice, I started from scratch by booting the 2017 Beta version. I then installed GQview 2.0.4 and Seamonkey-2.48, and found that the GQview User Manual issue was solved. It seems that you were right regarding a difference in the embedded version of glibc219_runtime. Thanks for your help.

The above is actually the first time that I have tried out the new 2017 Beta version. I guess you would value some feedback:

There is a display issue. I have an Acer Aspire 5741 with a display resolution of 1366x768 (see below for more details).

The December 2014 release of Lucid booted straight to the desktop with the correct display resolution and without any issues: x-server: versa

The December 2016 release did likewise: x-server: fbdev. The intel driver also works here if it is chosen manually. Both the 2016 and 2014 versions also work OK if I download and install Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid.pet.

By contrast, the current 2017 Beta release boots to a blank screen, and then hangs. The only way to proceed is to turn off the computer and then start again. By booting to the command prompt instead, and then playing about with Xorgwizard, I can make it to the desktop, but only by using the versa driver with a low display resolution of 1024x768. I can't obtain a higher resolution using any method that I have thought of.

Any ideas?

Display details:

Code:
  2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) 
  oem: Intel(R)Ironlake Mobile Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
  product: Intel(R)Ironlake Mobile Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg   Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.7.6
  dimensions:    1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
  depth of root window:    24 planes

By the way Richard, I just wan to say how much I appreciate all the time and effort that you (and presumably a few others, I guess) have been putting into keeping Lucid going. Don't ever feel disheartened when things get hard. You are doing a great job. Lucid is easily the best version of Puppy Linux that was ever created. That's why so many of us continue to use it. Keep up the good work.

rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 09:57    Post subject:  

TwoPuppies wrote:
By contrast, the current 2017 Beta release boots to a blank screen, and then hangs. The only way to proceed is to turn off the computer and then start again. By booting to the command prompt instead, and then playing about with Xorgwizard, I can make it to the desktop, but only by using the versa driver with a low display resolution of 1024x768. I can't obtain a higher resolution using any method that I have thought of.
Thanks very much for your feedback and encouragement. Curiously, the xorg drivers for your card are unchanged between the 2016 lupu and the beta. Since your graphics is Intel, please try booting afresh using the boot argument:
i915.modeset=0

If it still hangs, also use pararmeter pfix=nox and then xorgwizard to choose the intel xorg driver (as you have been doing).

To give me more to work with, please post the result of the command:
lspci -nn | grep 'VGA'

Also, run pupscan and post the entry for the VGA PCI interface, to confirm which kernel driver/module is used.
Richard
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 10:46    Post subject:  

rerwin (in part) wrote:
.. the xorg drivers for your card are unchanged between the 2016 lupu and the beta. Since your graphics is Intel, please try booting afresh using the boot argument:
i915.modeset=0

If it still hangs, also use pararmeter pfix=nox and then xorgwizard to choose the intel xorg driver (as you have been doing).

To give me more to work with, please post the result of the command:
lspci -nn | grep 'VGA'

Also, run pupscan and post the entry for the VGA PCI interface, to confirm which kernel driver/module is used.

Quote:
Thanks, Richard; I'll try those on this computer

---------
UPDATE Oct 8
I did all those tests, and got the same results as TwoPuppies, at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=970243#970243. I guess our video hardware is similar.

Is it something to do with drivers? firmware? (I don't understand exactly what they are),

Last edited by sheldonisaac on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 09:54; edited 4 times in total
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 22:46    Post subject:  

I have uploaded Lucid Super 2 as version 20171007 and made updates to the change list on the previous page here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=968772#968772

I found that my GeForce 6150SE graphic card was not handled correctly in sulu2 even though it works in lupu. It sometimes used the newer nv xorg driver but if probed for, would use the older version, which worked.

To get it to work with the newer version, I implemented "modeset0" rules for that card family but only for the sulu2 kernel (k3.2.48). If anyone else has problems with the nVidia cards, please report them here, including the output from the command:
lspci -nn | grep 'VGA'

But also try the "nouveau.modeset=0" kernel parameter to see if that makes it work. If it does, I can add that to the list of cards requiring KMS mode 0, to make the kernel parameter unnecessary.
Richard
Page 62 of 68 [1007 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: