Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 04:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Dec., 2016; 2017 beta
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 63 of 64 [954 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 61, 62, 63, 64 Next
TwoPuppies

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 01:23    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
please try booting afresh using the boot argument: i915.modeset=0

Result: Same as before. Boots to a blank screen and then hangs.

...and also wrote:
If it still hangs, also use pararmeter pfix=nox and then xorgwizard to choose the intel xorg driver (as you have been doing).

Result: Same as above.
I can still only reach the desktop using the Versa driver at 1024x768.

...and also wrote:
To give me more to work with, please post the result of the command:
lspci -nn | grep 'VGA'

Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02)

...and also wrote:
Also, run pupscan and post the entry for the VGA PCI interface, to confirm which kernel driver/module is used.

Code:
DESCRIPTION: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
VENDOR: 8086  DEVICE: 0046

I have also just downloaded and tested lupusuper2-5.2.8.7-k3.2.48-20171007-beta, and that is working perfectly, so I'm not really getting all that bent out of shape about lupu-5.2.8.7-20170923-beta. Even without the display issue, I would probably end up using lupusuper2 anyway, so don't feel that you need to invest too much time and effort in this.

rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 15:08    Post subject:  

TwoPuppies,
Thanks for the good news of success with sulu2!

Quote:
DESCRIPTION: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 0046
Was there no line showing the kernel module for it?

Anyway, this card seems to be common. So we can maybe help those who need to stay on lupu by working this problem. Could you still get me a pdiag file after starting a fresh ('pfix=ram,nox' or pupsave 0) lupu bootup to the black screen, entering xorgwizard, choosing i915, testing it and starting xwin? If that fails, without rebooting, use xorgwizard to use xvesa (however you have been doing that -- the xvesa button or 'choose' selection -- tell me which).

I need that file so I can look in the logs and other places for clues. TIA
Richard
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 15:30    Post subject:  

rerwin (in part) wrote:
TwoPuppies,
Thanks for the good news of success with sulu2!

Quote:
I need that file so I can look in the logs and other places for clues. TIA

Richard, I'll do those tests also, hopefully today. And will try the new SuLu2, and it'll probably work.
I'm in tahr just now, and did pupscan; here's part of the results:
Quote:

DESCRIPTION: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 0046 KERNEL MODULE: i915

Acer Aspire One: Windows XP, Puppy Linux 5.2
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 19:33    Post subject:  

@rerwin can you apply additional CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS when you do the Puppy build? I'm thinking specifically of "-fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables". This noticably reduces the size of object files and binaries. See messages http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2012-September/078326.html and http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2012-September/078331.html for details. The "busybox" maintainers have incentive to produce smaller binaries, because busybox is often used in memory and space-constrained environments.

Older machines targetted by Puppy linux could use this help too. Executables/libraries will load faster, due to being smaller. And once loaded, they chew up less memory... win-win all around. This does not sacrifice speed like the "-Os" option. The only downside is that it might interfere with advanced debugging. BTW, I've been using this option on my Gentoo linux machines at home for years without problems. Gentoo builds almost everything from source. If this option caused problems, I would've found out "the hard way" a long time ago.
keniv

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 08:38    Post subject:  

@rerwin

I have just installed your updated beta version of lucid from the beginning of this thread. So far I've always been able to run the updated versions of lucid on what is a very limited old laptop (800MHz 320MB). I know there has been some discussion as to which browser can be used in such a limited machine. I cannot run Seamonkey 2.48 supported, using watchdog's technique with glibc 2.19 as I get what seems to be random distortion of drop down boxes and unreadable text previously mentioned. I know glibc 2.19 is included in the beta version of lucid. I have tried with both the glibc 2.19.pet uninstalled and installed but get the same result. I am posting using the Seamonkey 2.46.pet which you provided but is a bit slow. I have used QtWeb in the past which has it's problems but is fast and OK for my use of a browser. However, it won't run on this updated version of lucid. I also like netsurf 3.6 which is still being supported. There is a pet for version 3.0 but this crashes all the time. There is also a deb for this. Is it possible to get one or other of these "lite" smaller browsers to run on the new updated lucid?

Regards,

Ken.
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 13:08    Post subject:  

keniv wrote:
I cannot run Seamonkey 2.48 supported, using watchdog's technique with glibc 2.19 as I get what seems to be random distortion of drop down boxes and unreadable text previously mentioned. I know glibc 2.19 is included in the beta version of lucid. I have tried with both the glibc 2.19.pet uninstalled and installed but get the same result. I am posting using the Seamonkey 2.46.pet which you provided but is a bit slow. I have used QtWeb in the past which has it's problems but is fast and OK for my use of a browser. However, it won't run on this updated version of lucid. I also like netsurf 3.6 which is still being supported. There is a pet for version 3.0 but this crashes all the time. There is also a deb for this. Is it possible to get one or other of these "lite" smaller browsers to run on the new updated lucid?

I ran into the same problem with SM 2.48 and have no solution for it. I reported that here (2 messages):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=963510#963510

That's why I have reverted to 2.46 in my main pupsaves and why I added support for palemoon, which does not (yet) require the glibc219 addition. Please try palemoon via: menu > Internet > palemoon installer. It seems to need about 100MB of pupsave space. I also upgraded sylpheed in case it can replace SM mail.

Taking a cue from your posting here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=952461#952461
I experimented with the netsurf 3.6 Wheezy package. So far, it does not complain about needing glibc 2.17. It indicates the need for libssl and libcrypt 1.0.0 and apparently detects that the link to 0.9.8 won't do. I expect to try to find them, soon, to see if that helps. I am avoiding all of the chromium-based browsers because that just looks like a "can of worms" beyond my capability to troubleshoot.
Richard
Robert123

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 13:23    Post subject:  

Just a quick note regarding upgrading Seamonkey to latest version from previous ones. There is a warning regarding upgrading to 2.48 from previous versions so a fresh install of Seamonkey 2.48 is required.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.48/

keniv

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 17:15    Post subject:  

Helo rerwin,
Thanks for your quick reply. You must have a better memory than I have as I did not remember making the post you quoted from but it does illustrate the difficulty in getting a usable browser
rerwin wrote:

Please try palemoon via: menu > Internet > palemoon installer. It seems to need about 100MB of pupsave space.

I was able to download and install palemoon using the installer but it will not run from the menu. I tried running it from a terminal but the output was illegal action. I also tried 3.6 Wheezy package and as you said it wants libssl and libcrypt 1.0.0.
I have also tried to install netsurf 3.6 from debs without success. I am not sure if I've got all the dependences. Thanks for the help in trying to get a lite browser to work with this latest update of lucid.

Regards,

Ken.
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 17:20    Post subject:  

Robert123,
That page is displayed whether or not you upgrade or install the full package. I found when upgrading from 2.46, an "update" was downloaded but after restarting SM the update is reported as "failed". But then a full package gets downloaded and installed. On restart, the big red message is still shown.

It didn't always do that, but 2.48 seemed to work except for sometimes showing drop-down lists or pages slanted.
Richard
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 17:29    Post subject:  

keniv,
I found a reason for the libssl problem with netsurf, so am continuing experimentation. So give me a little more time to work it.

I am surprised that palemoon fails for you. Please copy the last few lines of /tmp/xerrs.log (into a reply), which should have any error messages about it.

UPDATE: I resolved the libssl and libcrypto issues but am stumped by an undefined symbol message:
Code:
netsurf: symbol lookup error: netsurf: undefined symbol: g_static_resource_init
It appears to tolerate these messages:
Code:
netsurf: /lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by netsurf)
netsurf: /lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by netsurf)
netsurf: /usr/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)
netsurf: /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)

I use watchdog's glibc219 wrapper technique, but that does not help with the undefined symbol. I'll have to "sleep on it".

Last edited by rerwin on Mon 09 Oct 2017, 22:59; edited 1 time in total
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 17:39    Post subject:  

Walter Dnes wrote:
@rerwin can you apply additional CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS when you do the Puppy build? I'm thinking specifically of "-fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables".
I don't actually "build" lucid puppy, just a set of updates and remasters. I have not gotten into real puppy builds.

But one thing I have been lazy about is "trimming the fat" from deb installations. It just seems that it doesn't gain much space, for the effort involved. My process involves downloading the new debs and installing them with a script. So the PPM trim-the-fat option is not available. But I could add a script to my process to accomplish at least some of the trimming.
R
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 19:27    Post subject:  

keniv wrote:
I was able to download and install palemoon using the installer but it will not run from the menu. I tried running it from a terminal but the output was illegal action.

Was that actually something like "illegal opcode" or "illegal instruction"? The mainline Pale Moon build requires at least a Pentium 4 cpu to run on; older cpus error out. Can you post the output of the following command from a terminal...
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

If you're running a Pentium 3 class cpu, there are a couple of alternate builds available. I do an SSE "contributed build" of Pale Moon for Pentium3 class machines. Because it's not the mainline build, it has to be downloaded and installed manually. The current version and URL are listed at or near the end of the thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530 The current download URL is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.5.0SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2 The install instructions are in the first post of that thread... the following works if you only have 1 Pale Moon tarball in your current directory. Otherwise, you have to spell out the specific name.. The first time you install Pale Moon...

Code:
mkdir $HOME/pm
tar -C $HOME/pm -xvjf palemoon*.bz2

Point your program launcher at "$HOME/pm/palemoon/palemoon". To upgrade to future versions...

make sure you've downloaded the tarball first
    killall palemoon (from a terminal)
    blow away the older pm/palemoon directory
    tar -C $HOME/pm -xvjf palemoon*.bz2 (from a terminal)

Steven Pusser also does "nonsse2" Pale Moon builds for Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, 16.10, 17.04, Debian 7, 8, 9. See near the end of thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11466 Maybe @rerwin could repackage the "nonsse2" .deb for Puppy
TwoPuppies

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 20:23    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
Quote:

Do you mean like in the similar material in the post by sheldonisaac? No, there was nothing else. I posted everything that was there.

rerwin also wrote:
Could you still get me a pdiag file after starting a fresh ('pfix=ram,nox' or pupsave 0) lupu bootup to the black screen, entering xorgwizard, choosing i915, testing it and starting xwin? If that fails, without rebooting, use xorgwizard to use xvesa...

No, sorry, that does not work. The only way that I am able to successfully reach the desktop is to manually select the Versa driver (resulting in a resolution of 1024x768). See below for more details.

The following alternative methods all fail to work:
(A) Allow the computer to boot up without any intervention on my part.
(B) Boot up using pfix=ram,nox, run xorgwizard, select Probe, and then choose any of the available options.
(C) Proceed as for method (B), but select Choose instead of Probe in Xorgwizard, then select any specific driver, and subsequently continue from Probe again.

All of the above methods ultimately result in a black screen, and then the computer just hangs and will do nothing else. The only was to get out of it is to kill the power and start again. I understand that you require test results after the Black Screen has occurred, but the problem is that once I reach the black screen, nothing else is possible.

rerwin also wrote:
...use xorgwizard to use xvesa (however you have been doing that -- the xvesa button or 'choose' selection -- tell me which).

Here, in detail, is the only method that succeeds:
1. Boot the computer using the boot parameter pfix=ram,nox. (I don't know if "ram" here is strictly necessary, but I have other Lucid Frugal installations on the Hard-Drive, so I use it just in case.)
2. Keyboard choice (choose default US keyboard, then click OK).
3. At the command prompt, type xorgwizard, then press Enter. (For some reason, step 3 then needs to be repeated before anything happens.)
4. Xorgwizard opens.
5. Choose Versa. (Selecting Probe or Choose eventually lead to the Black Screen.)
6. Choose a Monitor type.
7. Choose a Video mode.
8. OK (to apply the selected settings).
9. Back at the command prompt again, type xwin (press Enter)

This the takes me to the Desktop, with a display resolution of 1024x768.
Back in Steps 6 & 7, choosing a lower resolution applies the chosen resolution, whereas choosing any higher resolution (such as the correct 1366x768) just defaults back to 1024x768.

rerwin also wrote:
Could you still get me a pdiag file after starting a fresh ('pfix=ram,nox' or pupsave 0) lupu bootup to the black screen...

So, given that I can do nothing more once I am at the Black Screen, do you still want me to provide you with a pdiag file after successfully booting up using the described Versa method, or is that of no use to you?

Edit:
rerwin also wrote:
bootup to the black screen, entering xorgwizard, choosing i915, testing it and starting xwin

As I have already explained, this is not possible, but you say to choose the i915 driver. I have just noticed that there is no i915 on the list. Does that have any bearing on why things are not working?

rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 22:17    Post subject:  

I seem to be asking the impossible, to get a pdiag if you cannot get to the desktop. Just get one when you get to the desktop using your vesa technique.

The absence of i915 as the kernel driver concerns me. Try booting with pfix=nox and then type: lsmod
Does i915 show in the list?

If it does, then the intel xorg driver would be the one to choose in xorgwizard. (I was confused about the xorg driver being i915.)

Also, since you have multiple frugal lucid pups, does that mean there are multiple versions of the lupu_528.sfs files (in different directories)? If so, you need to rename all but the 2017 version, so that we are sure you are using the lupu you think you are. I rename the ones I don't want active, to Xlupu_528.sfs.
TwoPuppies

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2017, 04:53    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
Just get one when you get to the desktop using your vesa technique.

OK. Done. I will PM that to you.

...and also wrote:
Try booting with pfix=nox and then type: lsmod. Does i915 show in the list?

No.

...and also wrote:
Also, since you have multiple frugal lucid pups, does that mean there are multiple versions of the lupu_528.sfs files (in different directories)?

Yep.

...and also wrote:
If so, you need to rename all but the 2017 version, so that we are sure you are using the lupu you think you are.

OK. Did that. But it made no difference to the results.

Page 63 of 64 [954 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 61, 62, 63, 64 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: