Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 13:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Dec., 2016; 2017 RC
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 65 of 66 [979 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 63, 64, 65, 66 Next
keniv

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 16:41    Post subject:  

@rerwin
I installed your pet then ran usr/local/bin/netsurf in a terminal. Netsurf did not run. Below is the output from the terminal.

Code:
+ '[' -x /usr/bin/netsurf ']'
+ '[' -e /usr/lib/glibc219/lib/ld-linux.so.2 ']'
+ export LC_ALL=C
+ LC_ALL=C
+ /usr/lib/glibc219/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /usr/lib/glibc219/lib:/usr/lib/glibc219/usr/lib:/usr/lib/glibc219/libstdc++:/usr/X11R7/lib /usr/bin/netsurf
/usr/bin/netsurf: /lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by /usr/bin/netsurf)
/usr/bin/netsurf: /lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by /usr/bin/netsurf)
/usr/bin/netsurf: /usr/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)
/usr/bin/netsurf: /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)
Script completed hit RETURN to close window.

Regards,

Ken.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 17:58    Post subject:  

Testing a post to the forum from NetSurf 3.7 in Lucid 5.2.8.7
Including a screenshot attachment.
GLib-GObject terminal warnings (which I do not get in later Puppies with later glib) look like this:-
Code:

# netsurf

(netsurf:30808): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GObject'

(netsurf:30808): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(netsurf:30808): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GObject'

(netsurf:30808): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

I am unable to use the buttons such as "code" tags.
It gives me a warning in status bar that "button can not be activated"
Limitation in the javascript implementation?
Code tags added manually.

NetSurf looks OK and is performing reasonably well in brief initial tests.
netsurf-3.7-lucid.jpg
 Description   Test attempt to attach screenshot of NetSurf 3.7 in Lucid
 Filesize   53.63 KB
 Viewed   411 Time(s)

netsurf-3.7-lucid.jpg

watchdog

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 05:54    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:

Obviously you need ca-certificates installed for many common websites.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks

Install the ca-certificates in the above rep and run in console:

Code:
update-ca-certificates

Summarily tested. Netsurf for lucid can come useful for some very old hardwares.
keniv

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 09:01    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
OscarTalks wrote:

Code:
update-ca-certificates

Have done this and here's what I get. It looks OK to me.

Code:
# update-ca-certificates
Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs...
0 added, 0 removed; done.
Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d...
done.
#

However when I try to run netsurf in a terminal I get the same as before.

Code:
# /usr/local/bin/netsurf.sh
+ '[' -x /usr/bin/netsurf ']'
+ '[' -e /usr/lib/glibc219/lib/ld-linux.so.2 ']'
+ export LC_ALL=C
+ LC_ALL=C
+ /usr/lib/glibc219/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /usr/lib/glibc219/lib:/usr/lib/glibc219/usr/lib:/usr/lib/glibc219/libstdc++:/usr/X11R7/lib /usr/bin/netsurf
/usr/bin/netsurf: /lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by /usr/bin/netsurf)
/usr/bin/netsurf: /lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by /usr/bin/netsurf)
/usr/bin/netsurf: /usr/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)
/usr/bin/netsurf: /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)
#

I've checked for the presence of the mentioned files with pFind. See the images bellow. I hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Ken.
image-7.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   43.13 KB
 Viewed   370 Time(s)

image-7.jpg

image-6.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   45.19 KB
 Viewed   370 Time(s)

image-6.jpg

image-5.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   38.9 KB
 Viewed   370 Time(s)

image-5.jpg

image-4.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   36.58 KB
 Viewed   367 Time(s)

image-4.jpg

keniv

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 09:14    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
Netsurf for lucid can come useful for some very old hardwares.

I should have said above that while I would like to get netsurf to work with the latest update of lucid I have found that palemoon is very good on very limited hardware like mine and the method of updating suggested was fairly easy to do. I think even those with not much experience of using lucid could do it without much trouble. That's not to say it wouldn't be nice to have two.

Regards,

Ken.
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 10:25    Post subject:  

My netsurf wrapper package omitted some links to the "missing" libssl and libcrypto files. I have updated it here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=971334#971334

EDIT: Because the new package includes netsurf.desktop, do not install it after installing OscarTalks' Lucid version of netsurf-3.7.

EDIT: Although the wrapper part is unused by OscarTalks' Lucid netsurf package, the links I added are needed.
Because the added .desktop file conflicts with that in the netsurf package, please be sure to install OscarTalks' Lucid netsurf-3.7 after installing the new netsurf wrapper.

Last edited by rerwin on Fri 20 Oct 2017, 14:54; edited 3 times in total
watchdog

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 10:44    Post subject:  

keniv wrote:
watchdog wrote:
OscarTalks wrote:

Code:
update-ca-certificates

Have done this and here's what I get. It looks OK to me.

Code:
# update-ca-certificates
Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs...
0 added, 0 removed; done.
Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d...
done.
#

I think we can also install in puppy ca-certificates from debian sid (unstable):

https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/ca-certificates/download

ca-certificates are needed to bypass a lot of warnings about ssl certificates when browsing the web with netsurf. Install the new wrapper by rerwin but it is not needed: the OscarTalks netsurf-3.7-lucid.pet is all what you need to start with netsurf in lucid.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 10:48    Post subject:  

keniv wrote:
However when I try to run netsurf in a terminal I get the same as before.

Hello Ken,

Did you try to use my freshly compiled (in Lucid) version of NetSurf 3.7 ?
It should run without the need for Richard's wrapper script so do not start with the command /usr/local/bin/netsurf
Remove any previous versions of NetSurf
Install the .pet
Start from the menu entry or from terminal just use
Code:
netsurf

rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 11:21    Post subject:  

OscarTalks,
Thank you very much for providing your Lucid version of netsurf. I have tried it both with and without my wrapper. The resulting messages are the same although netsurf comes up and is usable. I am posting from it now. The messges:
Code:
netsurf: /usr/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)
netsurf: /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)

(netsurf:28474): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GObject'

(netsurf:28474): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(netsurf:28474): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `(null)' to `GObject'

(netsurf:28474): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
keniv

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 12:22    Post subject:  

Hello Gentlemen,
I have followed all the instructions and I now have netsurf 3.7 installed and working on the updated lucid. I am posting from it now. I have only been using it for a short time but I agree it seems to render better than 3.6 though there are still a few odd things. Bold, Italics and Underscore on this page look different to that in palemoon but it is still obvious what they mean. I still cannot see how to import bookmarks but I found before it was reasonably easy to convert those from QtWeb and edit the "Hotlist" file in .netsurf (see image 9). Can I again thank you all for your help and the work you have done to make this work in lucid. For those of us with old hardware getting a useable browser to work was a big issue. Now for the updated lucid we have two.

Regards,

Ken.

Regards,

Ken.
image-9.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   26.4 KB
 Viewed   319 Time(s)

image-9.jpg

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct 2017, 22:19    Post subject:  

Evening, all.

Okay, it might be an older version, but following a successful install of Openshot-1.1.3 to Lucid, following smil99's instructions from here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=426888#426888

.....I thought it would make more sense to combine everything into one single, easy-to-use package. For some reason, smil99 found it necessary to install MPlayer (and Gnome-MPlayer!!) in order to correct a lack of colour output in Openshot. It's quite likely that only certain components of these two were needed to correct the problem, but I haven't researched that far into it, I'm afraid... (BAD Mike; *slapped wrists*) Embarassed

No, I've simply created an all-in-one package out of the assorted .pet packages. If you're at all concerned that it may interfere with existing installs of Mplayer/Gnome-MPlayer, refer to the post in question and use the necessary separate .pets. Frankly, I'm amazed the files are still available, since smil99 hasn't been heard from for over 4 years now.....

Anyway, for anyone who wishes to avail themselves of this very useful video editor, there are .pet and SFS packages available. You can find them here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xno026wsmgb2d/Openshot_for_Lucid

Hope y'all find it useful. In the event that the .pets from smil99's MediaFire a/c become non-accessible, I've mirrored them at mine.....in the 'Components' sub-directory.

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 22 Oct 2017, 11:52; edited 2 times in total
Smithy

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct 2017, 08:12    Post subject:  

Rerwin, since you have done a fantastic job of revitalising the Lucid,
might it be a good idea to put all the pets, upgrades and sfs in a central repository?
I know that if I need a few bits for Dpup Wheezy, I usually go to OscarTalks smokey01 repository and there are always a few browsers and system stuff readily available.

I do remember the three headed dog (529) and the 528, it was a cracking distro because as Playdayz said it was massively tested by loads of forum members.

Does it pick up newer hardware or is there some kind of sweet spot for it in terms of hardware year?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct 2017, 11:40    Post subject:  

Hey, Smithy.

Y'know, that's quite a good idea, mate. I originally only installed Lucid to help out TwoPuppies with a query about browsers....and, well.....it's still here. Along with all the other occupants of the kennels, I keep coming back and modifying a bit, here & there, adding things, tweaking a bit; I have to confess, I quite like it!

Haven't yet figured out a way to install a newer Chrome than 26, but that still works very well.....apart from not being able to sync with my bookmarks & extensions, 'cos of its age (no longer 'supported'!), but I can live without 'em (just added bookmarks manually). It'll work with the newest PepperFlash, too. Having used Chrome from the start, I'd kinda forgotten just how lean & mean (and bloody fast!) Chrome used to be. Like all of them, it's become a bloated 'supertanker'.....and. of course, it's 64-bit only nowadays.

I guess the 'sweet spot' would be 2-3 years ago, in terms of app compatibility. It's that elderly glibc that's the kicker, y'see.....which is why I can't run Chrome 48, the last 32-bit Linux version. Lucid has 2.11.....Chrome wants at least 2.15. And that's the main reason most newer apps/programs won't run correctly, if at all. That and the fact that many libs'n'stuff need upgrading, too.....you can end up on a never-ending 'lib-chase' if you give into it. I also run watchdog's 'tweaked' PaleMoon, with an isolated glibc 'upgrade' built-in.....but I'm not a Mozilla fan,.!

Watchdog's also built a 'tweaked' version of SimpleScreenRecorder for Lucid.....which also works in Racy 5.5 (I'm pleased about that!) I understand Richard's been developing a 'tweaked', up-to-date SeaMonkey package, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be more than happy to donate some storage space, if Richard's interested; I have several gigs to spare, between a Google Drive a/c, and my MediaFire one. If he lets me know what he'd like to do, I can soon set up access to a 'shared' folder for him.....and make it public 'read-only', for general access.

Can't say fairer than that, now....can I?

Mike. Wink

Robert123

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct 2017, 18:27    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

I wonder how easy it is to tweak chrome like Watchdog's magic - it is so wonderful to be able to still run old Pups and have a modern Browser. Recommend Watchdog for a knighthood.

watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 23 Oct 2017, 00:40    Post subject:  

Robert123 wrote:

I wonder how easy it is to tweak chrome like Watchdog's magic - it is so wonderful to be able to still run old Pups and have a modern Browser. Recommend Watchdog for a knighthood.

Recent chrome and chromium require gtk+-3: lucid and other old puplets are gtk+-2 distros: mission impossible in my opinion. A better way for using recent chrome-chromium is to upgrade to a recent puppy. Peebee has provided sfs packages and instructions to run recent chromium in modern puppies in development. I do not like chrome: it's on the edge of development and requires very recent stuff every time a new version is released. It's an update-upgrade nightmare!
Page 65 of 66 [979 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 63, 64, 65, 66 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: