Slacko 5.7 final - 8 March 2014

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mavrothal

#301 Post by mavrothal »

Trying o find issues with slacko-5.6.5.6 some time now and finally managed it :twisted:

Fresh install - no issues :D

Updating fom 5.6.5.2 -no issues :D

Updating from 5.6 however, fails to load tray applets (even if I symlink /root.config/autostart to /root/Startup -which is not). Applets however run fine if started manually.
It also fails to update the Shutdown menu to the new one and some icons are missing (see pic)
Finally (and strangely) /usr/bin/firefox was not there although it is in the SFS and I had to manually copy it up.
I guess the rc.update script should be looked up (or maybe provide a specific 5.6 to 5.7 script), particularly if this is going to go out as "5.7"

LATTER: Copying up etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc solves the JWM issues (shutdown, icons, applets).
Attachments
Screenshot_menu.png
(97.22 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

01micko

#302 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal wrote:Updating from 5.6 however, fails to load tray applets (even if I symlink /root.config/autostart to /root/Startup -which is not). Applets however run fine if started manually.
It also fails to update the Shutdown menu to the new one and some icons are missing (see pic)
Finally (and strangely) /usr/bin/firefox was not there although it is in the SFS and I had to manually copy it up.
I guess the rc.update script should be looked up (or maybe provide a specific 5.6 to 5.7 script), particularly if this is going to go out as "5.7"

LATTER: Copying up etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc solves the JWM issues (shutdown, icons, applets).
Yeah this will be an issue. But I think a one off script is the go. However there is no way of telling what the user has installed. The whiteout system is certainly not ideal for upgrading.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#303 Post by 01micko »

About firefox (and seamonkey) cache.

I refuse flatly to release with a template in /root. This is a hassle for setting cache and homepage. There is supposed to be a mechanism to set cache but it doesn't work. I have a file at /usr/lib/firefox*/defaults/preferences/local-settings.js

Code: Select all

//
//defult home page
pref("browser.startup.homepage", "data:text/plain,browser.startup.homepage=file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm");
pref("browser. cache. disk. capacity", 40000);
It's broken because of a copy paste error for cache. Home page works. However, even without spaces its still broken.

Mozilla has deprecated setting cache in preferences!!! You can do it from about:config.. a hassle for noobs.

I discovered though that if the offending line is deleted in the profile then it gets fixed. This is a bug in mozilla, but I don't think they care because disk space is cheap these days.

I have came up with a script that fixes it.. but the worst part is that mozilla in their wisdom changed the path where said local-settings.js lines :roll: .

Anyway, once firefox (or seamonkey) is started then I have a script that can fix it.. so future versions should be able to limit cache.

Here is the script<

#!/bin/sh
[ -f ~/.config/fixcache ] && echo "already done" && exit
# fixes browser cache for mozilla
[ "$DEFAULTBROWSER" = firefox -o "$DEFAULTBROWSER" = seamonkey -o "$DEFAULTBROWSER" = mozstart ] || exit
BROWSER=$DEFAULTBROWSER
[ "$DEFAULTBROWSER" = mozstart ] && BROWSER=seamonkey # BK uses that
# check if distro builder has set the cache
ARCH=`uname -m`
[ $ARCH = x86_64 ] && lsuffix=64 || lsuffix=
PREFDIR=`find /usr/lib${lsuffix}/$DEFAULTBROWSER* -type d -name preferences`
[ -z "$PREFDIR" ] && exit
grep -q 'pref(\"browser.cache.disk.capacity' $PREFDIR/* || exit
BPID=`pidof $DEFAULTBROWSER`
[ "$BPID" ] && exit # wont work if running
CACHEFILE=`find ~/.mozilla -type f -name prefs.js -maxdepth 3`
[ "$CACHEFILE" ] || exit
sed -i '/user_pref(\"browser.cache.disk.capacity\".*/d' $CACHEFILE #delete the offending line
[ $? = 0 ] && echo success || echo failure
echo -e "check with 'about:config' to see if\n \
'pref(\"browser.cache.disk.capacity\", 60000);'\n \
which means cache is set at 60 MB" >/.config/fixcache

Sage

#304 Post by Sage »

This is a bug in mozilla
Opera!

01micko

#305 Post by 01micko »

Sage wrote:
This is a bug in mozilla
Opera!
Unsupported on linux for over a year.. so many sites just don't work with it :(

mavrothal

#306 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:
mavrothal wrote:Updating from 5.6 however, fails to load tray applets (even if I symlink /root.config/autostart to /root/Startup -which is not). Applets however run fine if started manually.

Yeah this will be an issue. But I think a one off script is the go. However there is no way of telling what the user has installed. The whiteout system is certainly not ideal for upgrading.
What about this?

--- a/etc/rc.d/rc.update	2014-02-07 02:02:49.000000000 +0200
+++ b/etc/rc.d/rc.update	2014-02-08 11:17:25.000000000 +0200
@@ -253,6 +253,10 @@
  cp -af $NEWFILESMNTPT/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown /etc/rc.d/
  cp -af $NEWFILESMNTPT/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit /etc/rc.d/
  cp -af $NEWFILESMNTPT/etc/rc.d/rc.update /etc/rc.d/
+ if [ -f $OLDFILESMNTPT/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc -a \
+ "`grep logout_gui $OLDFILESMNTPT/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc`" = "" ]; then
+  cp -af $NEWFILESMNTPT/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc /etc/xdg/templates/
+ fi

#110119...
  cp -af $NEWFILESMNTPT/etc/rc.d/rc.services /etc/rc.d/
Would be applicable in other woof puppies upgrading from the old woof to woof-CE.
If the user has changed /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc will revert the changes but then system files are fair game in updates :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Colonel Panic

#307 Post by Colonel Panic »

01micko wrote:
Sage wrote:
This is a bug in mozilla
Opera!
Unsupported on linux for over a year.. so many sites just don't work with it :(

Opera's changed the engine it works from, so the 12.15 / 12.16 versions of Opera are the last of the "old line" and haven't been updated for over a year now. The "new line" of Opera has had very mixed reviews from what I've seen.

12.16 still works for me (I generally use it alongside either Firefox or Seamonkey), but maybe I don't go on enough "challenging" sites to be able to give a definitive opinion as to how suitable it is for a main browser in 2014..
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Sage

#308 Post by Sage »

..how suitable it is for a main browser in 2014..
Indeed! Always a good idea to have several browsers. I have continued to use Opera 12.16 with FP v10, which is not newest either. Moz has an extremely chequered track record this last couple of years. Chrome/chromium can have issues, too, along with Midori.
At least, with Opera, one doesn't get those stupid (fatal for neophytes!) messages with the Yahoo/BTinternet/Sky axis-cartel to upgrade Firefox/Safari - click - oh dear, it's the devil's OS version they're trying to upgrade!
So, it's back to the browser wars again, then...

Any road up - nice beta, micko, thanks. Would be nice if it came with FP preloaded - lah, lah, lah, click, click (broken record).
[Technical note for readers under half-a-century old: shellac records used to 'click' when damaged or broken.]

mavrothal

#309 Post by mavrothal »

Sage wrote:Would be nice if it came with FP preloaded
Flash player distribution by other than Adobe, requires Adobe's permission.
They usually provide it but a) is a hassle b) the web is moving to html5 video c) flash is a security threat d) is a resource hog e) (thus) not everyone wants it by default.
Maybe is time to lobby your favorite sites to provide html5 video versions too, a la youtube. :wink: (most of them have it but provide it only in smartphone/tablets)

Sage

#310 Post by Sage »

the web is moving to html5 video
Longest gestation in history?! Yes, of course, agree in principle with all you say, except if you live in GB. BBCiPlayer is sine qua non in this domain. 'Auntie' (as BBC is referred to) is run by a bunch of chinless wonders stuck in C20th. To boot, there is tacit political interference of the old school tie variety. We had a previous PM who publicly admitted to not knowing how to switch on a PC. He, Blair, was also taken to the cleaners by the (Hon)Sir William a decade ago, thereby forcing the Beeb, as well as legions of public services to use the world's worst and hideously expensive closed OS. Nothing wrong with our IT engineers (don't forget, we invented the programmable computer!), it's just that the Establishment ignores them on account of crass ignorance. You cannot force a young person to become intelligent by sending them to posh public(US: private) school. Intellect regresses towards the mean according to the prevailing psychology. That's why clever rich folks who got there by dint of effort as well as innate ability tend to breed dumb kids. Statistically, smart kids will be randomly scattered throughout a society. A well-organised society will seek them out. Scandinavians tend to be more successful in this kind of strategy: GB and US tend to be especially bad in this respect, leaving aside the morass of other corrupt and despotic nations that abound.
'The end is nigh' as the billboards proclaim...

mavrothal

#311 Post by mavrothal »

Sage wrote:if you live in GB. BBCiPlayer is sine qua non in this domain. 'Auntie' (as BBC is referred to) is run by a bunch of chinless wonders stuck in C20th......
So you think puppy should conform to all this or have its intelligent, 21st century GB users click "get flash" if they really need it?

Sage

#312 Post by Sage »

So you think puppy should conform to all this or have its intelligent, 21st century GB users click "get flash" if they really need it?
Your deduction fails to recognise the perversity of British humour. My (frivolous?) comment was deliberately placed as a footnote and accompanied by some nonsense in the expectation that it would be interpreted in the intended manner. Don't worry - I have never been able to laugh at what passes for humour in the US, either. Notwithstanding most of RoW seems to enjoy the comedy we produce. Benny Hill is/was favourite in Japan, Fawtly towers is still in repeats in many countries, etc., etc.
Tells us what makes you laugh?

ally

#313 Post by ally »

fresh frugal install to lenovo t500

unable to use 'network wizard' to connect to 'net as no wpa option appears (greyed out); uses iwlwifi

switched to simple network which works ok (nb 5.6.0.5 was able to connect using both utilities)

would like to see screensaver control back, seems very stable so far and fibonacci speed in hardinfo is faster than 5.6.0.5

looks really nice - appreciated!

:)

peebee

Broadcom wl driver

#314 Post by peebee »

Hi Mick

Rerwin's patch:

grep -q ' wl:' /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG || sed -i "/^PREFLIST=/ s/ '$/ wl:ipw2100:ipw2200:iwlwifi&/" /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG
hasn't made it into 5.6.5.6.....

The Broadcom 6.30.223.141 driver compiles fine for 5.6.5.6 - will you be adding it to final Slacko5.7?

No problems with nouveau driver and hardinfo on 5.6.5.6

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Billtoo

#315 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to hard drive.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sat 8 Feb 2014 on Slacko Puppy 5.6.5.6 Linux 3.4.78 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1082 (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (602x343 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 334.16

No problems so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(26.05 KiB) Downloaded 375 times

mavrothal

Re: Broadcom wl driver

#316 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote: Rerwin's patch:

grep -q ' wl:' /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG || sed -i "/^PREFLIST=/ s/ '$/ wl:ipw2100:ipw2200:iwlwifi&/" /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG
This does not look like a patch.
Does not even say which file should be modified.
Will make life much easier if you could provide a real patch.
If a patch is not possible the file to be modified or a link to rewind's original, would be helpful (to me)

peebee

Re: Broadcom wl driver

#317 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:
peebee wrote: Rerwin's patch:

This does not look like a patch.
Does not even say which file should be modified.
Will make life much easier if you could provide a real patch.
If a patch is not possible the file to be modified or a link to rewind's original, would be helpful (to me)
Hi

Perhaps I should have said fix rather than patch....

Came to me during a pm discussion from rerwin about a wifi problem reported by marv

file fixed is /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG

pet with fix attached.

Cheers
p
Attachments
woof_update-20140104-MODULESCONFIG.pet
(490 Bytes) Downloaded 258 times
Last edited by peebee on Sat 08 Feb 2014, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

oldyeller

#318 Post by oldyeller »

Slacko 5.6.5.6

video report
video-info-glx 1.5.1 Sat 8 Feb 2014 on Slacko Puppy 5.6.5.6 Linux 3.4.78 i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
oem: Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 8.0.4

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU U7700 @ 1.33GHz
Core 0: @800 1: @1333 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/video-info-glx'.

So far everything that I have done works great :D :D
keep it up doing a great job

Cheers

01micko

#319 Post by 01micko »

ally wrote:fresh frugal install to lenovo t500

unable to use 'network wizard' to connect to 'net as no wpa option appears (greyed out); uses iwlwifi

switched to simple network which works ok (nb 5.6.0.5 was able to connect using both utilities)
Maybe an older wag-profiles.sh script got dragged in, I'll have to check. Anyway, that scripts (function library actually) needs updating. It's really not good enough that it isn't smart enough to detect that a chip is wpa capable (which 99% or more are these days). I might need some feedback on the output of modinfo for various wireless modules. If I can come up with something across the board maybe we can automate this process.

-----
peebee wrote:Hi Mick

Rerwin's patch:
Code:
WIll be going to woof, sorry for missing it.
peebee wrote:The Broadcom 6.30.223.141 driver compiles fine for 5.6.5.6 - will you be adding it to final Slacko5.7?
Yes, just need to get a broad idea of kernel stability first as the f2fs patches are getting old and this kernel is rather new in comparison.
peebee wrote:No problems with nouveau driver and hardinfo on 5.6.5.6
Good :)

------

I'm attaching an experimental wag-profiles.sh. Hopefully it will fix ally's issue and be future proof.
Attachments
wag-profiles.sh.gz
gunzip wag-profiles.sh.gz #, make executable and move to /usr/sbin over writing old version
(19.74 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

zigbert

#320 Post by zigbert »

The multiple soundcard wizard is in the setup menu.
I suggest we skip it here as it is a part of the ALSA sound wizard.

Btw, shouldn't the multiple soundcard wizard been a part of woof-CE?

Sigmund