NEW Dpup Wheezy-EmCE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

NEW Dpup Wheezy-EmCE

#1 Post by stemsee »

Here is another Dpup Wheezy I built. not much different from the previous one. It has:

kernel-3.14.2-EmSee-pae
wine-1.7.17, QQ2013
Jack
Jack-rack/eq/mixer
python2.7
cups 1.5.3
vlc
zarfy
about 406mb

It is a stepping-stone build. But very functional.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... edit?usp=1

QQ2013 is normally a .deb package which decompresses to 500mb as it has a 200mb tar.gz compressed and patched wine prefix, I got rid of the tar.gz saving 200mb....plus some optimisations so that wine (36mb pet) uses the same prefix - by making ~/.wine a symlink to ~/.longene/qq, so you can see it is a relatively small puppy!

EDIT: I found that jackd is running on startup so in order to get sound with vlc etc open a terminal and type killall jackd !

:D
Last edited by stemsee on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

charlie6

#2 Post by charlie6 »

Hi stemsee !
thanks for this :) !
It is a stepping-stone build. But very functional.
looks great !

Would like to know shortly the advantages of kernel-3.14 ÷ 3.5 ..?
As also if a devx-wheezy-3.14.2 would follow ?

Installed: the xf86-input-wacom driver (i.e. wacom_drv.so ) compiled for wheezy-3.5.2.11 (version 0.17.0): running OK together with a wacom MTE-450 tablet.

About sound: did alsa been wiped off and replaced by jack ?
...etc open a terminal and type killall jackd !
the usual loudspeaker applet is missing ... :shock:
Are some jack dependencies missing ? and need to be installed?
I tried to use timidity without succes; i believe i should have to adapt the timidity server launch command for jack:
i'll try this code

Code: Select all

timidity -iA -B2,8 [b]-Oj[/b] -EFreverb=0&
in place of

timidity -iA -B2,8 [b]-Os[/b] -EFreverb=0&
I appreciate FF29.0.1 !
I don't miss Abiword wordprocesor, because using another one.

Thanks anyway!
Charlie

stemsee

Thanks for feedback

#3 Post by stemsee »

Alsa is still there, you can use alsa-mixer in a terminal. retrovol is gone. on my laptop i use Fn key +F8 vol up and F7 vol down. I intend to use qasmixer as default mixer at next stage of development..

All I know about newer kernels is that they have more of the realtime patch integrated, and also have better management of memory, also use of id handles, and a lot more hardware supported, plus deprecated stuff removed. I am all for frequent updates of the kernel ... for me that means a ew build for each new kernel ... it is much quicker than messing around with the initr and base sfs.

DevxWheezy: I accidentally deleted the wrong woof-ce folder with the iso and devx in it....but later I built a new DpupWheezy with kernel 3.14.4-EmSee-pae and I am using the devx-wheezy-3.5.*-18 from that I will post a link after uploading.

Jack is fully functional just type jackd -d alsa in a terminal; jack-mixer has missing dependencies - there are other apps which i removed from the menu which also lack deps! I though i had removed jack-mixer from the menu!!!

I have never used timidity. So I cannot advise!

Cheers for the feedback, glad you can use it.

ally

#4 Post by ally »

hey stemsee

I have mirrored all published ISOs, which ones did you delete?

:)

stemsee

inventory

#5 Post by stemsee »

I'll let you know soon, but maybe only one was deleted.

The more I use this latest Dpup the more I love it - solid as anything, Nothing fancy but reliable and sublime!

It's a keeper folks!

charlie6

#6 Post by charlie6 »

Hi stemsee,
Just curious to know where to download the zzwheezy-utilities.pet package that comes embedded?

As also if a kernel-3.14.2.pet or -3.14.4.pet would be in the possibility to be downloadable in a while .. :) ?

Thanks for any answer
Charlie

stemsee

Saucy Salamandar EmCE kernel 3.15-rc6

#7 Post by stemsee »

I just built Saucy Salamandar EmSee community Edition with kernel 3.15-rc6

I stripped quite a lot of progs out so it's 145mb iso. I am trying to get down to a base system i can use to load any base sfs from any puppy wihout duplicate drivers/files messing up the system.

This is a first run and the kernel only sees 800mb (i missed the pae button i guess)

But it runs fast, really fast - like a grey hound.

Charlie6
When I have finished uploading that i'll upload your requested pets and devx. My poor google drive is going to be worn out!
Last edited by stemsee on Thu 29 May 2014, 07:56, edited 2 times in total.

stemsee

#8 Post by stemsee »

Last edited by stemsee on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 09:52, edited 2 times in total.

charlie6

wheezy-3.5.2.12 need to press return while booting

#9 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Stemsee,

tons of thanks for the above links ...as also for your time !

Whatever a frugal or a full install of wheezy-3.5.2.12, here needs to press return while booting: the boot process stops after the comment

Recognizing media devices ... optical input                          done
at that step, need to press return to complete the boot; otherwise the system seems to wait for something. :roll:

thanks for any further follow-up :D
HTH
charlie

Pelo

Pupjibaro Wheezy and Jessie (americanos del sur)

#10 Post by Pelo »

Pupjibaro Wheezy and Jessie (americanos del sur)
Debian Lovers, try these two from Argentina, pretty and No bugs. Our Canadian cousin Musher0 is tasting Jessie and seems happy enough to cooperate with 'El gaucho' Josejp2424 :!: Union between north and south often gave nice babies.
Attachments
joseph2424.jpg
The wheezy version is replaced by its Jessie sister.
(24.92 KiB) Downloaded 409 times