No system sounds but can play MP3s CDs etc. (SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
fitzhugh

No system sounds but can play MP3s CDs etc. (SOLVED)

#1 Post by fitzhugh »

I ran the ALSA wizard and it found the integrated intel 18x0 sound card (which I know nothing about beyond it being there and that it isn't great). It does bark when the wizard finishes and runs a test, and playing CDs, MP3s and such is no problem. However, I've not heard any system sounds like from emptying trash or barking twice on boot... just came across a post refering to these - didn't even know there were such sounds set up!

I'm generally happy with a quiet computer - often don't even have speakers plugged in - but I'd like to know what is going on. I'd previously driven myself crazy trying to set a crontab entrry to initiate a beep as an alarm when my alarm clock broke late at night and I had to get up early... thought I was surely doing it right but getting no results until I finally tried playing a wav file instead. Now I think perhaps I was doing it correct after all and puppy just wasn't cooperating.

Please help,
Fitzhugh
Last edited by fitzhugh on Thu 06 Jul 2006, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

what kind of sound file wasn't working?
.au? I just tested this, it works:
aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.au
i've got that same intel driver.

fitzhugh

yup, that works.... I'llaplay /usr/sh investigate from here.

#3 Post by fitzhugh »

Barry, thanks for the suggestion. That does make him bark bark, so I'll play around. It seems to have no problems playing sounds when I explicitely tell it to, as in mplayer, wavplay, gxine, aplay command, etc. It does not make noises when I empty trash, as I've read somewhere here it should, or on boot (or is it when x or the window manager starts?) I wasn't aware of the .au format - shows what I [don't] know - so I didn't have any luck skimming for where it called this on boot, assuming it using this line in the code. I would guess you only put one bark bark on puppy so I'll grep for anything that refers to it.

Now I just need to learn my way around searching in linux a bit better - always got by without much of a clue back in unix. I've been wondering if there is a file system indexer for super fast searching. Since mine is a slowly changing system in comparision to what many computers are it would likely be efficient - and I have extra space. Wonder what is out there... not posting this as a question because I want to look before opening a topic and shouting out that I'm lost yet again... rtfm applies here big time.
Barry, your responsiveness to these little things as well as the large system issues is cool; thanks.

I'm having too much fun, just like many others have said. It is great to have a new hobby, especially one that involves learning and exploring since learning is one of the greatest joys in life for me. Went from highschool dropout to junior college to top of my class in cognitive science at UCSD, and after a short decade of programming became... gasp... a teacher! THAT was a turnaround! Now this has reintroduced me to the love of computers, something I'd lost years back. Hmmm, think I should post this in the kudos section.

Fitzhugh

MU

#4 Post by MU »

davec51

Barking on bootup

#5 Post by davec51 »

Like Fitzhugh I can get 2barks.au to play when I call it from the console, but it doesn't play on bootup. I would dearly love it to play on bootup. I would rather go into a pit of vipers than delve into code, but I'll do it if someone can tell me what and where.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Puppy2 only barks on the first boot, not subsequent boots. This was by popular demand as many people would rather bootup is quiet.

You can put your own 'aplay' line into /etc/rc.d/rc.local

fitzhugh

#7 Post by fitzhugh »

Thanks Mark and Barry... and davec51: don't worry, it really isn't going to hurt. In most cases you will want to mess with it really is rather like just editing a memo to a co-worker, only it is the computer and not the coffee-lackey you are telling what to do. Of course there are huge amounts of stuff impenetrable to most of use mortals, but I'm finding it possible to do a lot more than I realized. Of course I'm enjoying it,which does help immensly.

As for the lack of sound... I'm sure that is all it was, just didn't have speakers set up when booting after installs each time. They have a loose connection in the volume knob so they can easily not work when I think they are, but I'd been sure they were when I tested booting sounds yesterday.

slocate: I'll take the discussion to the forum Mark linked to.
Fitzhugh

davec51

Puppy Heaven

#8 Post by davec51 »

"You can put your own 'aplay' line into /etc/rc.d/rc.local"
Did it. It worked. Now I can feel I have a friend whenever I boot up -- great!