Joined: 29 Jun 2008 Posts: 10557 Location: SwedenEurope
Posted: Sun 01 Dec 2013, 08:40 Post_subject:
Want Firefox to open a .txt file with Geany [Solved]
Thanks to cimarron for all the effort put into finding a solution
Three stars in Heaven No wonder I name myself Nooby
Edit okay back to my original post.
I have this link in a HTML page that I have as local "start page "
Can I somehow tell Firefox that it should open Geany text editor
instead of as now it just open it as FF text and I can not edit it? _________________ I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though Edited_time_total
Looks like it's a little tricky, but doable. First, set up Firefox to automatically open page sources in your external editor (geany):
1. In a new tab, type about:config in the address bar
(If you get a warning, click "I'll be careful")
2. In the search field at the top of the page type view_source.editor.external
3. Double-click on the "false" value entry to set it to true
4. In the search field type view_source.editor.path
5. Double-click on the empty value entry and in the pop-up box enter the path for your text editor (i.e. /usr/bin/geany)
6. Click OK and close the tab
But to get Firefox to open any (non-page source) text file in your editor, you have to do an extra step each time. After you open the text file in the browser window, right-click on the page and select "View Page Source." That should now make your text file open in your external editor (Geany).