Joined: 29 Jun 2008 Posts: 10557 Location: SwedenEurope
Posted: Sun 01 Dec 2013, 08:40 Post subject:
Want Firefox to open a .txt file with Geany [Solved]
Thanks to cimarron for all the effort put into finding a solution
Three stars in Heaven No wonder I name myself Nooby
Edit okay back to my original post.
I have this link in a HTML page that I have as local "start page "
Can I somehow tell Firefox that it should open Geany text editor
instead of as now it just open it as FF text and I can not edit it? _________________ I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though Last edited by nooby on Sun 01 Dec 2013, 13:27; edited 1 time in total
Looks like it's a little tricky, but doable. First, set up Firefox to automatically open page sources in your external editor (geany):
1. In a new tab, type about:config in the address bar
(If you get a warning, click "I'll be careful")
2. In the search field at the top of the page type view_source.editor.external
3. Double-click on the "false" value entry to set it to true
4. In the search field type view_source.editor.path
5. Double-click on the empty value entry and in the pop-up box enter the path for your text editor (i.e. /usr/bin/geany)
6. Click OK and close the tab
But to get Firefox to open any (non-page source) text file in your editor, you have to do an extra step each time. After you open the text file in the browser window, right-click on the page and select "View Page Source." That should now make your text file open in your external editor (Geany).
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum