Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 08:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking
Peasy Firewall Monitor
Page 6 of 6 [84 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
belham2

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul 2017, 18:31    Post subject:  

Hi rcrsn51,

I am trying to get Peasy Firewall Monitor to work in Barry's latest Quirky 8.1.94 (since it doesn't have a firewall with a tray icon). I installed the .pet from the 1st page of this thread. It seemed to install fine, and it seems to run fine from the Menu. But when I tick the choice of "Install the tray applet" when PFM is open, it won't be applied & nothing happens.

I also even tried this in the .jwmrc-tray file, hoping it would help the peasy icon to appear:

Code:
<JWM>
   <Tray  autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" height="28" >
      <!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
      <TrayButton label="Menu" icon="mini-dog.xpm">root:3</TrayButton>
   <!--   <TrayButton popup="Run commandline" icon="gexec.xpm">exec:gexec</TrayButton> -->
   <!--   <TrayButton popup="Free space in drives" icon="mini-hdisk.xpm">exec:partview</TrayButton> -->
      <TrayButton popup="Rox" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/rox.png" border="false">exec:rox</TrayButton>
      <TrayButton popup="Urxvt" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/terminal.svg" border="false">exec:urxvt</TrayButton>
      <TrayButton popup="Conky" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/conky.png" border="false">exec:/usr/local/bin/conkytoggle.sh</TrayButton>      
      <TrayButton popup="Seamonkey" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/seamonkey.svg" border="false">exec:/usr/lib/seamonkey-2.48/seamonkey</TrayButton>
   <!--   <TrayButton popup="Run commandline" icon="gexec.xpm">exec:gexec</TrayButton> -->
   <!--   <TrayButton popup="Free space in drives" icon="mini-hdisk.xpm">exec:partview</TrayButton> -->
      <!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
      <!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
      <TaskList/>
      <Dock/>
      <!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->
   <!--   <Swallow name="blinky">
         blinkydelayed -bg "#DCDAD5"
      </Swallow> -->
   <!--   <Swallow name="xtmix-launcher">
         xtmix -launch
      </Swallow> -->
   <!--   <Swallow name="asapm">
         asapmshell -u 4
      </Swallow> -->
   <!--   <Swallow name="freememapplet" width="34">
         freememappletshell
      </Swallow> -->
   [b]<!--   <Swallow name="Peasy Firewall Monitor" width="34">
         peasyfwmon[/b]
      </Swallow> -->      
      <Swallow name="xload" width="32">
         xload -nolabel -bg "#888888" -fg red -hl white
      </Swallow>
      <Clock format="%a %d %b %H:%M:%S %P">minixcal</Clock>
   </Tray>
</JWM>

The tray icon tries to load, as jwmrc-tray flashes and restarts, but alas the tray icon doesn't appear.

Is it possible to get the PFM tray icon in Barry's Quirkies?

If so, how should I go about it??

Thanks for any help and/or tips

[Update] Ok, I installed "firewallstatus" from phil's XenialPup64 (it was in /usr/bin) and now Barry's latest Quirky has a functioning tray firewall status indicator.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul 2017, 20:48    Post subject:  

The PET on page 1 is 32bit. The 64bit version is on page 3. Which one did you need for Quirky 8.1.94?
belham2

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul 2017, 09:07    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
The PET on page 1 is 32bit. The 64bit version is on page 3. Which one did you need for Quirky 8.1.94?

Arrrrrgh...sorry, rsrcn51, for being an idiot. I blindly downloaded the 32-bit and then wondered like a fool why it wouldn't launch in Barry's 64-bit. So, just now downloaded the 64-bit version, and it fired right up in the tray.

Wish there was a way in the 1st msg of this overall thread that there could be both downloads: one for 32 bit and one for 64-bit, for idiot-proofing it for people like me who sometimes go too fast Embarassed
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul 2017, 09:27    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Wish there was a way in the 1st msg of this overall thread that there could be both downloads: one for 32 bit and one for 64-bit, for idiot-proofing it for people like me who sometimes go too fast

I added a note to the Description field of the attachment box on page 1.
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul 2017, 11:54    Post subject:  

Both versions 32 and 64 are small in size.

You should be able to put both of them in the first post.

As long as something is no bigger than 256K, the forum should allow it to be attached to a post.

I am not sure how many attachments the forum will allow as long as none of them is bigger than 256K.
I have attached 5 or 6 items to a post. None was bigger than 60K. Not sure if they cannot total more than 256K.
But again, your 3 pets should have no problem being attached to the same post.

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul 2017, 12:49    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Both versions 32 and 64 are small in size.

You should be able to put both of them in the first post.

As long as something is no bigger than 256K, the forum should allow it to be attached to a post.

I am not sure how many attachments the forum will allow as long as none of them is bigger than 256K.
I have attached 5 or 6 items to a post. None was bigger than 60K. Not sure if they cannot total more than 256K.
But again, your 3 pets should have no problem being attached to the same post.

If I had wanted to organize the project that way, I would have done it.
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul 2017, 13:14    Post subject:  

OK, your choice!

However, from experience, this is humans you will be dealing with. Shocked
You will have more of this in the future! Laughing

belham2 wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:

Arrrrrgh...sorry, rsrcn51, for being an idiot. I blindly downloaded the 32-bit and then wondered like a fool why it wouldn't launch in Barry's 64-bit. So, just now downloaded the 64-bit version, and it fired right up in the tray.

Wish there was a way in the 1st msg of this overall thread that there could be both downloads: one for 32 bit and one for 64-bit, for idiot-proofing it for people like me who sometimes go too fast Embarassed

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul 2017, 03:48    Post subject:  

V2.1 recognizes multiple networks. For example, you could raise the maximum firewall against your main network while treating a WiFi Direct printer as a trusted LAN.

Or you could leave your wired network open for sharing but raise a firewall against a wireless connection.
Pelo

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug 2017, 03:46    Post subject: What a firewall is used for ?
Subject description: The only person punished would be myself.

What a firewall is used for ? never i install it regarding to topic 2008 attemps to violation here
"NOTE: You don't actually need to worry about people brute-forcing your SSH unless you have installed SSHD and turned it on. Puppy doesn't come with it. "
Firewall will slow your system. You will be asked to authorise so many sites, as you don't know, you always answer 'yes', ignoring what they are. So useless, lost time for nothing.
Puppy has pets to get everything pass trough. I will not do the contrary. The only person punished would be myself.

Page 6 of 6 [84 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking
Jump to: