Peasy Firewall Monitor

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
belham2

#76 Post by belham2 »

Hi rcrsn51,

I am trying to get Peasy Firewall Monitor to work in Barry's latest Quirky 8.1.94 (since it doesn't have a firewall with a tray icon). I installed the .pet from the 1st page of this thread. It seemed to install fine, and it seems to run fine from the Menu. But when I tick the choice of "Install the tray applet" when PFM is open, it won't be applied & nothing happens.

I also even tried this in the .jwmrc-tray file, hoping it would help the peasy icon to appear:

Code: Select all

<JWM>
	<Tray  autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" height="28" >
		<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
		<TrayButton label="Menu" icon="mini-dog.xpm">root:3</TrayButton>
	<!--	<TrayButton popup="Run commandline" icon="gexec.xpm">exec:gexec</TrayButton> -->
	<!--	<TrayButton popup="Free space in drives" icon="mini-hdisk.xpm">exec:partview</TrayButton> -->
		<TrayButton popup="Rox" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/rox.png" border="false">exec:rox</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Urxvt" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/terminal.svg" border="false">exec:urxvt</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Conky" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/conky.png" border="false">exec:/usr/local/bin/conkytoggle.sh</TrayButton>		
		<TrayButton popup="Seamonkey" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/seamonkey.svg" border="false">exec:/usr/lib/seamonkey-2.48/seamonkey</TrayButton>
	<!--	<TrayButton popup="Run commandline" icon="gexec.xpm">exec:gexec</TrayButton> -->
	<!--	<TrayButton popup="Free space in drives" icon="mini-hdisk.xpm">exec:partview</TrayButton> -->
		<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
		<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
		<TaskList/>
		<Dock/>
		<!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->
	<!--	<Swallow name="blinky">
			blinkydelayed -bg "#DCDAD5"
		</Swallow> -->
	<!--	<Swallow name="xtmix-launcher">
			xtmix -launch
		</Swallow> -->
	<!--	<Swallow name="asapm">
			asapmshell -u 4
		</Swallow> -->
	<!--	<Swallow name="freememapplet" width="34">
			freememappletshell
		</Swallow> -->
	[b]<!--	<Swallow name="Peasy Firewall Monitor" width="34">
			peasyfwmon[/b]
		</Swallow> -->		
		<Swallow name="xload" width="32">
			xload -nolabel -bg "#888888" -fg red -hl white
		</Swallow>
		<Clock format="%a %d %b %H:%M:%S %P">minixcal</Clock>
	</Tray>
</JWM>

The tray icon tries to load, as jwmrc-tray flashes and restarts, but alas the tray icon doesn't appear.

Is it possible to get the PFM tray icon in Barry's Quirkies?

If so, how should I go about it??

Thanks for any help and/or tips

[Update] Ok, I installed "firewallstatus" from phil's XenialPup64 (it was in /usr/bin) and now Barry's latest Quirky has a functioning tray firewall status indicator.

rcrsn51

#77 Post by rcrsn51 »

The PET on page 1 is 32bit. The 64bit version is on page 3. Which one did you need for Quirky 8.1.94?

belham2

#78 Post by belham2 »

rcrsn51 wrote:The PET on page 1 is 32bit. The 64bit version is on page 3. Which one did you need for Quirky 8.1.94?

Arrrrrgh...sorry, rsrcn51, for being an idiot. I blindly downloaded the 32-bit and then wondered like a fool why it wouldn't launch in Barry's 64-bit. So, just now downloaded the 64-bit version, and it fired right up in the tray.

Wish there was a way in the 1st msg of this overall thread that there could be both downloads: one for 32 bit and one for 64-bit, for idiot-proofing it for people like me who sometimes go too fast :oops:

rcrsn51

#79 Post by rcrsn51 »

belham2 wrote:Wish there was a way in the 1st msg of this overall thread that there could be both downloads: one for 32 bit and one for 64-bit, for idiot-proofing it for people like me who sometimes go too fast
I added a note to the Description field of the attachment box on page 1.

bigpup

#80 Post by bigpup »

Both versions 32 and 64 are small in size.

You should be able to put both of them in the first post.

As long as something is no bigger than 256K, the forum should allow it to be attached to a post.

I am not sure how many attachments the forum will allow as long as none of them is bigger than 256K.
I have attached 5 or 6 items to a post. None was bigger than 60K. Not sure if they cannot total more than 256K.
But again, your 3 pets should have no problem being attached to the same post.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rcrsn51

#81 Post by rcrsn51 »

bigpup wrote:Both versions 32 and 64 are small in size.

You should be able to put both of them in the first post.

As long as something is no bigger than 256K, the forum should allow it to be attached to a post.

I am not sure how many attachments the forum will allow as long as none of them is bigger than 256K.
I have attached 5 or 6 items to a post. None was bigger than 60K. Not sure if they cannot total more than 256K.
But again, your 3 pets should have no problem being attached to the same post.
If I had wanted to organize the project that way, I would have done it.

bigpup

#82 Post by bigpup »

OK, your choice!

However, from experience, this is humans you will be dealing with. :shock:
You will have more of this in the future! :lol:
belham2 wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:The PET on page 1 is 32bit. The 64bit version is on page 3. Which one did you need for Quirky 8.1.94?

Arrrrrgh...sorry, rsrcn51, for being an idiot. I blindly downloaded the 32-bit and then wondered like a fool why it wouldn't launch in Barry's 64-bit. So, just now downloaded the 64-bit version, and it fired right up in the tray.

Wish there was a way in the 1st msg of this overall thread that there could be both downloads: one for 32 bit and one for 64-bit, for idiot-proofing it for people like me who sometimes go too fast :oops:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rcrsn51

#83 Post by rcrsn51 »

V2.1 recognizes multiple networks. For example, you could raise the maximum firewall against your main network while treating a WiFi Direct printer as a trusted LAN.

Or you could leave your wired network open for sharing but raise a firewall against a wireless connection.

Pelo

What a firewall is used for ?

#84 Post by Pelo »

What a firewall is used for ? never i install it regarding to topic 2008 attemps to violation here
"NOTE: You don't actually need to worry about people brute-forcing your SSH unless you have installed SSHD and turned it on. Puppy doesn't come with it. "
Firewall will slow your system. You will be asked to authorise so many sites, as you don't know, you always answer 'yes', ignoring what they are. So useless, lost time for nothing.
Puppy has pets to get everything pass trough. I will not do the contrary. The only person punished would be myself.

musher0

#85 Post by musher0 »

Hello, rcrsn51 and all.

I tried to install the "Linux firewall" that goes with the PFM, but each time I get
a message saying "/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall missing."

Also, I get the attached when starting PFM from the tray. Context: DPupBuster-7.9.0.2.

Thanks for any pointers.
Attachments
PeasyFM-DPBuster7902.jpg
(43.4 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rcrsn51

#86 Post by rcrsn51 »

Cannot find iptables command. Did you forget to install iptables?
That message means what it says. Run: which iptables.

watchdog

#87 Post by watchdog »

In Dpup Buster alpha I have installed iptables_1.8.2-3 and I have symlinked /usr/bin/iptables to /usr/sbin/xtable-legacy-multi. Is that correct? My firewall seems to work.

rcrsn51

#88 Post by rcrsn51 »

watchdog wrote:My firewall seems to work.
How are you testing it?

A firewall that just "seems" to work doesn't have much value.

musher0

#89 Post by musher0 »

watchdog wrote:In Dpup Buster alpha I have installed iptables_1.8.2-3 and I have symlinked /usr/bin/iptables to /usr/sbin/xtable-legacy-multi. Is that correct? My firewall seems to work.
Hi watchdog.

You installed those through the PPM?

TIA.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

watchdog

#90 Post by watchdog »

musher0 wrote:
watchdog wrote:In Dpup Buster alpha I have installed iptables_1.8.2-3 and I have symlinked /usr/bin/iptables to /usr/sbin/xtable-legacy-multi. Is that correct? My firewall seems to work.
Hi watchdog.

You installed those through the PPM?
Yes. I did.

watchdog

#91 Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51 wrote:
watchdog wrote:My firewall seems to work.
How are you testing it?

A firewall that just "seems" to work doesn't have much value.
I have installed peasyfwmon-2.1.pet and peasyfwmon_2state_tray-1.0.pet and the tray shows that firewall is installed. I have not errors in console. I did not any other testing. Dpup buster alpha2 is out so there is no more problem with firewall.