Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mcewanw

#3886 Post by mcewanw »

I can't myself find any problem with big shutdown icons. It is for shutdown afterall and makes it easy to click the correct button! :-)

But I don't mind smaller icons either... not an issue either way

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#3887 Post by fredx181 »

Hi stemsee, anikin,

Ok, two strong opinions I can't resist :) I'll make the icons smaller (and total size smaller) for next release.
Transparency, I don't think it's possible but I'll have a look at it.

Fred

stemsee

#3888 Post by stemsee »

anikin

#3889 Post by anikin »

Fred wrote:Ok, two strong opinions I can't resist :) I'll make the icons smaller (and total size smaller) for next release
Mine wasn't a strong opinion! :)
Well, guys, I don't have an issue with large icons, either. What I'm saying is that one particular component of the desktop is way out of proportion relative to other parts of the desktop GUI. BTW, it's not only the icons but font size also. Don't get me wrong, I'm not demanding or insisting on anything. Just some humble user feedback.

sklimkin

remasrering filesystem

#3890 Post by sklimkin »

Hi All.

In our topic a few months ago someone suggested a script to re-create the system. I liked the simplicity and reliability of this script. Thanks to the author for this nifty idea.
I took it when experimenting with different systems based on Debian, Ubuntu and Debian Dog.
Then decided to add to the author's script the GUI.
But in the GTK-dialog I have failed.
Then do it in C using GTK+

1 version: remaster-filesystem.zip - more user-friendly, but it does not correctly display lists in DebianDog (see screenshots 1-2-3-4)
2 version: 12remaster-filesystem.zip - made earlier, it is easier, but it works fine in DebianDog (see screenshots 5-6).
For the program needs a file 'remaster.sh.txt' to the original settings.
After the user changes in the three drop-down lists have to press the "write file".
User settings are stored in the file 'remasterout.txt' (for reuse).
Then, create a new (remastered) system image 'squashfs' file.
The file is created in the directory /tmp

This application I made to create a container squashfs-file from standard installed operating systems such as Ubuntu. But then decided to test the application of the established Frugal system (Ubuntu. Runtu, Debian, Debian Dog).
Application should be finished (correctly identify the names of user directories, exclude external file presets, etc.), but now it can be used for certain experimental tasks.

Source code and the compiled binary file attached - for both versions.
If someone wants to improve or correct something - read the source code, I commented on in detail.
I would be grateful for guidance on the errors found in the source code.

Sergey.
Attachments
remaster-filesystem.zip
1-st variant
(35.53 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
12remaster-filesystem.zip
2-nd variant
(31.34 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
1_scrot.png
(34.37 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
2_scrot.png
(130.36 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
3_scrot.png
(52.64 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
4_scrot.png
(47.19 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
5_scrot.png
(91.6 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
6_scrot.png
(105.52 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

stemsee

#3891 Post by stemsee »

Hi @sklimkin

I am the author of sfs-direct-remaster. First let me say 'Great Work'. I am so surprised someone worked on this to make a great gui app. Secondly you have realised the universaility of the script.

But let me provide you with the most up-to-date version of the script in case you don't have it. And also sfs-unattended-remaster in case you feel like making a gui for that too!! :D

Also here is the full package with bootfiles for various linuxes - yet to add ubuntu and fedora and generic debian boot files.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... sp=sharing
Attachments
sfs-unattended-remaster.gz
fake .gz sfs-unattended-remaster with post remaster utilities
(32.47 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
apprc.gz
fake .gz
also in ~/my-applications/.apprc (not essential)
(798 Bytes) Downloaded 150 times
exclude.gz
this should be in ~/my-applications/.exclude
it is a fake gz extension
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
sfs-direct-remaster.gz
fake gz sfs-direct-remaster-v4.9
(16.15 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

saintless

#3892 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:There's only ktsuss package for SID, AFAIK.
A possibility maybe is to include the ktsuss-sudo in the gsu.deb, then you solve the problem of the yad dependency (since yad is not in Debian repo)
Yes, ktsuss is only in SID at the moment but it is possible to be added in Jessie also later. We can use ktsuss for Wheezy and skip yad now for gksu package. But yad is a dependency anyway for other scripts and will be dependency of GUI scripts from you in the future.
If we use ktsuss now we will have similar problem for Jessie and Sid upgrade later, because moded ktsuss will be part of gsu package and we need to add now ktsuss as conflicting package in gsu Control. Installing gsu will ask to remove ktsuss first (if it is already installed and this is not really needed because gsu yad version, gksu and ktsuss can be used together on the same system without problem). If someone wants to install or keep official ktsuss (or ktsuss is dependency of some packages) - then the user will have to choose to keep gsu programs or official ktsuss (and the programs depending on ktsuss). No way to have both if we add ktsuss in gsu package and conflicting with official ktsuss.

I think it is best to slolve the problem now for all DD versions using yad as dependency and yad added in DD repository. Yad has its own repository but it is better to have it included in DD repository. Then adding DD repository in sources list will auto-install yad and all other DD packages.

Toni

anikin

#3893 Post by anikin »

Hi Sergey, stemsee and everyone,

DD has two remastering tools (cli & gui), let's discuss them here. Your work, due to its scope deserves its own thread. As Russians love to say - let's keep the flies separate from the cutlet. (Сергей, не в обиду будь

sklimkin

remasrering filesystem

#3894 Post by sklimkin »

To stemsee:
thanks again for the idea of creating a universal squashfs.
Thank you for the new scripts.
I'm not a programmer, so I will study them slowly.
Along the way, I want to add that tool GTK(+) is very limited in their capabilities.
Such as its widgets (all graphics primitives) not have properties that are clearly needed.
Therefore, when writing a program have to invent 'workarounds' for such restrictions.

I also hope that I have posted the source code to help someone understand that C-programming is not such a scary and difficult as it may seem at first glance at the subject.
So I detailed comment on their source.
Of course it is very clumsy English, but if you wish you can understand.

Sergey.

sklimkin

remasrering filesystem

#3895 Post by sklimkin »

Hi anikin.

I agree with you.
But the script from stemsee has great potential for experimentation.
Debian Dog also experimental in nature.
In the sense that the system allows the user to develop it in any desired direction.
Based on this, I think one more tool to modify the system will not hurt development.
If it would be quite unnecessary, my message will be forgotten.

If Toni deems it necessary, it will simply remove my post.

Sergey.

Edit In Russian:
Мен

sfs

Re: remasrering filesystem

#3896 Post by sfs »

RussianDD1411
Your 'yad' is very old (can not cairo <b> & ...)
View my 'ymenu' , 'cow-notify' & 'tint2'. It may be useful ...
[url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppyrusa/]PuppyRus-Arch[/url]

saintless

#3897 Post by saintless »

Hi, Sergey!

Nice to read posts from you here again :)
I had to do quick test before I can answer properly.

1. No problem for me to post here and share experiment results with DebianDog or any other Debian based system. But like Anikin I think separate thread will help you and Stemsee much more to make the script better.

2. I can't remaster in /tmp and I can't test properly the gui script. Note /tmp size is only 50% of RAM in DebianDog and using Swap file/partition or save file does not make /tmp size larger. My main machine has /tmp size 128 Mb for example. It is better to have choice in GUI for partition instead /tmp.

3. Reading the txt files I see -comp xz line is after -e (excluded list) and the compression will be gzip instead xz. Fred pointed this problem some time ago. Stemsee fixed this in later versions so it is better to use his latest scripts.

4. I'm not sure why you use /live/cow subfolders. This is a bit different from what I remember from testing Stemsee's script. I guess you add only the changes from /live/cow in separate squashfs module in some way like RemasterCow does that. But /live/cow and /live do not exists in Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid and Ubuntu.

5. I think it is not easy to use universal script by selecting what files to include or exclude. This is good advanced user option but not for new linux user. At least for me it is easier to edit RemasterDog or RemasterCow for different distro.
Edit In Russian:
I'm not sure why it works in different Debian but this is what I see when i open remasterout.txt in geany or leafpad for remaster-filesystem:

Code: Select all

.../var/* /cdromǶ /media/*e /mnt
Last edited by saintless on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#3898 Post by stemsee »

@sergey

Here is my latest thread for StemseeS-Remastering-Suite, (includes sfs-direct-remaster and sfs-unattended-remaster and details how to use).

However posting here is wise, because saintless will surely find the faults to the iota, whereas I am too lazy and eager to share even an untested/unfinished idea!! Feedback from Fred and saintless is exceedingly useful and not just dealing with the superficial aspects of the programme, indeed very few bother to leave feedback of any programming nature at all. And indeed I specifically included DebianDog (puppy boot method), which works well enough for some of us, though not , understandably, so well (at the moment) as to gain endorsement from the maintainers of DD (Fred & Saintless), nor a foothold with the user-base (mostly Anikin). :D

I too am not a programmer, and I think it helps in being more creative in thought, perhaps, and not knowing programming limitations, helps to find other unorthodox solutions ... perhaps!

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96315

saintless

#3899 Post by saintless »

sfs wrote:RussianDD1411
Your 'yad' is very old (can not cairo <b> & ...)
View my 'ymenu' , 'cow-notify' & 'tint2'. It may be useful ...
Thank you, Sfs!
I keep your pfs mods on my hdd but fixing other problems and lack of time preventing me from testing how to translate and include them properly. I like cow-notify as option but couldn't make it work on Jwm version by simple loading the moduule and restarting dbus. I have to explore better the iso from you first to see how cow-notify daemon is used there.

Fred, can you test yad 0.25 and 0.27 from here if you can find any problem?
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... s/Testing/
Just install the debs. From quick test I can't find problem to upgrade to 0.27 version.

Toni

sfs

#3900 Post by sfs »

saintless wrote:I have to explore better the iso from you first to see how cow-notify daemon is used there.
look ~/.config/cow-notify/config
[url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppyrusa/]PuppyRus-Arch[/url]

fredx181

#3901 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Anikin,
Mine wasn't a strong opinion! Smile
No, I didn't feel like you were insisting something.

See screenshot for the smaller dialog I made (icons 48x48 and smaller fonts).
And thanks for the (strong :) ) user feedback! You were right.

Fred

anikin

#3902 Post by anikin »

Looks elegant.
Thank you, Fred.

fredx181

#3903 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
I think it is best to slolve the problem now for all DD versions using yad as dependency and yad added in DD repository. Yad has its own repository but it is better to have it included in DD repository. Then adding DD repository in sources list will auto-install yad and all other DD packages.
Ok, let's use the yad gsu.
About creating and updating own repo, it can be done recursively for all files and folders in http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/
Shall I make script and small guide how I would do it?
So then it's a matter of cloning http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/ folder to your hdd, run the script and do some more commands in terminal for creating .gpg
Then once in a while (if something changed) sync the files on the site with the ones one the hdd, and only thing to do then is run the script (to update the repo) and upload (replace) e.g Packages.gz and Release on the site).
There are some ways/programs to do it, I like apt-ftparchive, it's is simple and effective.

About new yad version.
Both newer versions gave me small problems, for example for pureftpd FTP server, the list width is not fully expanded (can be solved easily by editing the script and set a width but version 0.20 included does this automatically somehow)
I don't mind staying at the version as it is now but If you think it's needed we can upgrade to latest and I'll change some scripts.

Fred

saintless

#3904 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Ok, let's use the yad gsu.
OK, I will start working on the packages.
About creating and updating own repo, it can be done recursively for all files and folders in http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/
Shall I make script and small guide how I would do it?
Thanks, making instruction will be best. Maybe in HowTo thread so we can find it easy.
I don't mind staying at the version as it is now but If you think it's needed we can upgrade to latest and I'll change some scripts.
I also do not mind. We keep the old version.

Edit: BTW I will need your solution for smaller obshutdown buttons in 021-apps-porteus.squashfs. Already added in next version changes post.

Toni

sklimkin

remasrering filesystem

#3905 Post by sklimkin »

Hi Toni.

Fixed bug: strings in the array of structures before using it was necessary to fill with zeros.
In the archive included 2 version of the program with corrections.

The template with presets for exceptions (file remaster.sh.txt) present directories /home/puppy/ and /home/user/
The program replaces the 'user' to the real name.
If there are no /home/puppy/ it does not hinder the program to create the right squashfs file.

I tested the program from Debian Dog and boot the system with a modified (stored) a new 01-filesystem.squashfs file, (see remasterout.txt).

Sergey.
Attachments
remaster-filesystem.zip
corrected remaster-filesystem
(71.35 KiB) Downloaded 189 times