Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
greengeek

#4141 Post by greengeek »

I believe the forum now accepts images up to 700 pixels wide. Or maybe 800? More than 640 anyway...

saintless

#4142 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

First tests with new portablesfs. I can't test yet full install, sorry, but I will do it soon as I can.
Seems to work well for user and root and the information is explained very well.

I get some harmless warning in DD-Wheezy but it is from the wheezy unionfs-fuse version (fuse: warning: library too old, some operations may not not work):

Code: Select all

puppy@debian:~$ /gnumeric-portable
[sudo] password for puppy: mount: warning: /mnt/appsfs_4097 seems to be mounted read-only.
fuse: warning: library too old, some operations may not not work
non-network local connections being added to access control list

(gnumeric:3570): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Object class GnmExprEntry doesn't implement property 'editing-canceled' from interface 'GtkCellEditable'

(gnumeric:3570): Gdk-WARNING **: Native Windows wider or taller than 65535 pixels are not supported

(gnumeric:3570): Gdk-WARNING **: Native Windows wider or taller than 65535 pixels are not supported

(gnumeric:3570): Gdk-WARNING **: Native children wider or taller than 65535 pixels are not supported
umount: /mnt/unionsfs_19875/tmp: device is busy.
        (In some cases useful info about processes that use
         the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))
umount: /mnt/unionsfs_19875/dev: device is busy.
umount: /mnt/unionsfs_19875: device is busy.
Forced unmounting of /mnt/unionsfs_19875
I don't get this warning if I install unionfs-fuse in DD-Squeeze with apt-get but I get at the end:

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/unionsfs_7594': Device or resource busy
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/appsfs_10095': Device or resource busy

[sudo] password for puppy: non-network local connections being added to access control list

(gnumeric:2473): Gdk-WARNING **: Native Windows wider or taller than 65535 pixels are not supported

(gnumeric:2473): Gdk-WARNING **: Native Windows wider or taller than 65535 pixels are not supported

(gnumeric:2473): Gdk-WARNING **: Native children wider or taller than 65535 pixels are not supported
umount: /mnt/unionsfs_7594/tmp: device is busy.
umount: /mnt/unionsfs_7594: device is busy.
umount: /mnt/appsfs_10095: device is busy.
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/unionsfs_7594': Device or resource busy
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/appsfs_10095': Device or resource busy
I guess it is also from the older unionfs-fuse squeeze version. Or something in my Squeeze setup is different from Wheezy. No need to test or fix anything for Squeeze.

Edit: First post updated with information about no more Porteus-Wheezy iso updates. If you like something to be added or changed I will do it.

Toni

fredx181

#4143 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote: ......
I get some harmless warning in DD-Wheezy but it is from the wheezy unionfs-fuse version (fuse: warning: library too old, some operations may not not work):
Code:
[sudo] password for puppy: mount: warning: /mnt/appsfs_4097 seems to be mounted read-only.
fuse: warning: library too old, some operations may not not work
Thanks, Toni, Yes I think also the libfuse warning is harmless, seems like a bug btw.

Edit: First post updated with information about no more Porteus-Wheezy iso updates. If you like something to be added or changed I will do it.
I couldn't have described it any better, thanks.

Fred

stemsee

#4144 Post by stemsee »

Hey guys

DebianDog works extremely well with a touchscreen. Better than FatDog64 700. Touching the desktop and the menu opens. Scrolling through the menu is effortless and smooth. Everything behaves correctly.

What a pleasant surprise. One of the best touchscreen linuxes I have discovered!

Well done.

EDIT: I just installed jackd jackctl and jackkeyboard. i can play only one note at a time. The touchscreen is capable of ten simultaneous touch points. Any ideas of how to activate all ten points in DebianDog ??

saintless

#4145 Post by saintless »

Hi, Stemsee.

All credits go to Debian team and Debian xorg builders.
I think the touchscreen support is included in xserver-xorg-core package because it conflicts and replaces the older package xserver-xorg-input-evtouch.
Also xinput is installed in DD and I read here it needs custom calibration for each device:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=116628
Maybe it will help you to find the answer.

Toni

fredx181

#4146 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, All,

Got something nice, check it out please!
It's another way of loading *.squashfs or *.sfs on the fly.
I think this will be my favorite way of loading a module.

It works similar as portablesfs "Chroot mode" so it depends on unionfs-fuse
Works with full and frugal install.

How to use it:
. from the commandline:

loadsfs /path/to/module
loadsfs --help gives some more info.
. Drag and drop the module (*.squashfs, *.xzm or *.sfs) onto the script /opt/bin/loadsfs (I tested this only on Openbox version)
. Probably works on Openbox version only, there's SFSdrop launcher in /root/Desktop, just drag and drop the module on to it.
For Jwm version such a Drag'nDrop icon should be possible on the Desktop also, but I didn't find out how yet.

A yad window appears with choice of applications, see pictures.
An Xterm launcher also added in this list so this way it's possible to use the terminal, e.g. loading the DEVX to compile (I tested and it works!)
A minor thing is that yad doesn't resize the icons to the same size so that could be a strange effect. (see 2nd picture)
When closing the yad window, the module will be unloaded: the temporary directories unmounted and removed (in /mnt)

Attached load-drop-sfs.tar.gz

Fred
Attachments
051-smo-freeoffice.png
freeoffice loaded
(27.93 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
024-goffice-lupu-528JP-1.png
goffice loaded
(21.94 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
load-drop-sfs.tar.gz
load or drop sfs module
(19.34 KiB) Downloaded 266 times

saintless

#4147 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

I was sure you will try to make sfs load/unload work for full install after portablesfs chroot change :)
I still don't have time for full install setup and test but I will do it later.
Works on DD-Jwm Wheezy and Squeeze. Drag and drop on desktop icon works for XFE and Rox. See the picture.
Great job! Thanks!

Toni
Attachments
loadsfs.jpg
(30.85 KiB) Downloaded 355 times

fredx181

#4148 Post by fredx181 »

saintless wrote: I was sure you will try to make sfs load/unload work for full install after portablesfs chroot change :)
Ah, you know me by now :)
Glad you like it!
I still don't have time for full install setup and test but I will do it later.
No problem, Toni, I know you will eventually but I tested already so I know it works.

I think you copied the script to the Desktop, looking at your picture, is it also possible to have a real icon for dropping module on Jwm Desktop?

Maybe I'm a little over-exited but I have some other ideas, first of all why:
1) portablesfs: I think it's not very user friendly because you have to type in the command to be executed by the portable script.
For example in case of freeoffice, how would I know the commands "textmakerfree, planmakerfree etc..
Only way is to look in the mounted module to find out then.
2) Sfs-load as we have now (loadmodule). Often I have to restart X to find the program(s) in the menu after loading sfs.
3) loadsfs (new), it works with most modules but not all (e.g. virtualbox-light fails (probably because /etc/init.d/virtualbox won't run properly this way in chroot))

I'd like your opinion about what I plan to do:
For 1): Remove the entry for typing a command in portablesfs.
Then the name of created portable script will be <name-of-module>-portable (e.g.051-smo-freeoffice-portable) and should be run from same folder as module.
When running it, the same yad "Applications" window appears as loadsfs, with the choice of different apps.
For 2) and 3): Make a new additional script similar to loadsfs (with the yad "Applications" window) but then using the SFS-load mode as we have already (instead of "Chroot mode"), this will guarantee that it works with every module but doesn't work with full install.

No need to hurry replying, I'm rather busy the rest of the week so no plans to work on things much in the next days.

Fred

saintless

#4149 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
I think you copied the script to the Desktop, looking at your picture, is it also possible to have a real icon for dropping module on Jwm Desktop?
Yes, very easy to set icon with right click menu and drag and drop from Rex. And the desktop icon could be symlink to /opt/bin/loadsfs insead copy.
Sfs-load as we have now (loadmodule). Often I have to restart X to find the program(s) in the menu after loading sfs.
I don't know if this helps but I have update-menus command in loadmodule. This was suggested a long time ago in the thread. update-menus runs also jwm -reload for Terry's menu and the icons appear always. But OpenBox is different.
I'd like your opinion about what I plan to do:
For 1): Remove the entry for typing a command in portablesfs.
Then the name of created portable script will be <name-of-module>-portable (e.g.051-smo-freeoffice-portable) and should be run from same folder as module.
When running it, the same yad "Applications" window appears as loadsfs, with the choice of different apps.
For 2) and 3): Make a new additional script similar to loadsfs (with the yad "Applications" window) but then using the SFS-load mode as we have already (instead of "Chroot mode"), this will guarantee that it works with every module but doesn't work with full install.
For 1): I don't mind changing portablesfs as you see it best.
For 2) and 3): Is this means you want to change loadmodule with different script? Or this will be extra script without removing/changing loadmodule?
The problem I see is we have set right click options in every file manager (thunar, rox, xfe for user, root and inside /etc/skel) and will be a pain to fix them if something breaks the right click "load/unload-sfs" option.
My opiniojn is do not break something that already works. If restarting X is the only problem it is not enough reason to change loadmodule adding yad application choice window. Keep the old setup and add extra loadmodule moded script is OK. But I'm not sure I understand what you suggest exactly yet.

Toni

fredx181

#4150 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Yes, very easy to set icon with right click menu and drag and drop from Rex. And the desktop icon could be symlink to /opt/bin/loadsfs insead copy.
Ok, Thanks, I'd like a SFSdrop icon on the Desktop for Openbox new release. Maybe you want on Jwm version also, if not, you can document how to do it?
I think best for this drop icon is for loading sfs the official way (not using unionfs-fuse), I'm working on that.
(it will be loadsfs with "SFS-load mode with the yad 'Applications' window)
I don't know if this helps but I have update-menus command in loadmodule.
Yes, I tried but it doesn't work on Openbox version, I'll have to find other way.
For 1): I don't mind changing portablesfs as you see it best.
I will.
For 2) and 3): Is this means you want to change loadmodule with different script?.
But I'm not sure I understand what you suggest exactly yet.
I could have been more clear, just meant as additional script (with drop icon) not to replace loadmodule.
Loadmodule needs to stay as it is IMO because it loads the module for the whole session, loadsfs is just temporary loading.

Fred

saintless

#4151 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:I'd like a SFSdrop icon on the Desktop for Openbox new release. Maybe you want on Jwm version also, if not, you can document how to do it?
I will add it as desktop icon also in Jwm version. Just attach here or name the icon of your choice.
I could have been more clear, just meant as additional script (with drop icon) not to replace loadmodule.
Loadmodule needs to stay as it is IMO because it loads the module for the whole session, loadsfs is just temporary loading.
It is fine this way in my opinion.

Toni

fredx181

#4152 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
I will add it as desktop icon also in Jwm version. Just attach here or name the icon of your choice.
Just the application-x-squashfs.png from /usr/share/pixmaps will be fine I think.

Talking about drop icon on desktop, I'd like to add picdrop to OB version in next release.
I noticed it depends on mediainfo and some libs, but these are not officially installed in Jwm version.
You like to keep it this way?
If so I'll do it the same as on Jwm version.

Edit: Wrong, sorry, I see now that the dependencies for picdrop are installed on Jwm version.

Fred

saintless

#4153 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote: noticed it depends on mediainfo and some libs, but these are not officially installed in Jwm version.
You like to keep it this way?
I can't remember the details but I think mediainfo, libmediainfo0 and libtiff5 was all needed for picdrop to work and they are all in status file in Jwm version.
What are the not installed libs? If the size is not much bigger after installing it is better to install them with apt-get.

Edit: I read your edit now :)

Toni

fredx181

#4154 Post by fredx181 »

:)
Attachments
drop.png
(138.14 KiB) Downloaded 219 times

stemsee

#4155 Post by stemsee »

Here is beta of nicons-DD.sfs. ONly includes Draw icon selection and path. Save layout/Load layout, strip icon labels, and icon repo, apps in rox side panel (non permanent /per session but saved) . Extra wallpaper (solid colours). To implement full nicons functionality is a big task. Even changing wallpapers is a big rewrite. So this is versatile. Please test. Fake .gz
Attachments
nicons-DD.sfs.gz
(12 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

saintless

#4156 Post by saintless »

Hi, Stemsee.
I can only guess what should the script do. This is first test result after renaming and loading the sfs. Both scripts have permissions problem:

root@debian:~# nicons
bash: /opt/bin/nicons: Permission denied
root@debian:~# niui
bash: /opt/bin/niui: Permission denied
root@debian:~# chmod u+x /opt/bin/nicons
root@debian:~# chmod u+x /opt/bin/niui
Then:

root@debian:~# nicons
/opt/bin/nicons: line 29: xdotool: command not found
/opt/bin/nicons: line 29: [: =: unary operator expected
root@debian:~# niui
/opt/bin/niui: line 52: check_prep: command not found
I need to install xdotool but check_prep command is still not found. I don't know what check_prep command should do.
Anyway from quick test strip (remove) icon names work. I don't know how to reverse back the names.
Apps in rox side panel works (in grey background color). I don't know how to remove the side panel.
Draw button opens yad empty window (I guess it should have icons to choose from). I don't know how to put icons there. Drag and drop in yad window does not work.
Attachments
2015-01-15-192522_468x505_scrot.jpg
(37.57 KiB) Downloaded 938 times

stemsee

#4157 Post by stemsee »

Thanks for testing. It was working for me, but from development.

The only way to replace labels at the moment is to reselect those icons anew. I will have to retest on a pristine frugal.

To remove rox side panel must restart X. I will add code to kill pid. BTW you can drag icons to the side panel. Even after closing panel the next time you use it the icons will still be there.

Yad icons list should be populated by linking /usr/share/applications/* to /usr/share/renamed/*

check_prep is part of niui: I need to remove that as it is only useful for show/hide icons /9not implemented for DD version yet.)

regards stemsee

stemsee

#4158 Post by stemsee »

I must have been tired yesterday! Anyway hopefully this will be functional on your system. Depends on gtkdialog, yad, xdotool.

If this is ok then I think I can implement the full nicons script simply by changing path argument in a test function. Except wallpapers and pin per desktop.
Attachments
2015-01-16-143206_212x272_scrot.png
(12.9 KiB) Downloaded 855 times
nicons-DD-0.3.sfs.gz
(12 KiB) Downloaded 349 times

saintless

#4159 Post by saintless »

Hi, Stemsee.

Thank you for your effort, but I have other things to test and fix for DD. All I can do is quick testing by following your instructions.
Yes, if I create /usr/share/renamed folder and link there all files from /usr/share/applications and pick some of them - Draw function works.
From root account all seems to work.
"Apps in Rox Side panel" and "New Side Panel" buttons do the same thing. You can make many panels to switch with "rox --right=PANEL" command replacing PANEL with different name for each one. Maybe it will be better to rename the buttons to "Side panel 1" and "Side panel 2" or similar. Then everyone will understand each button loads different named side panel.

From user account only Drawing and Side panel buttons work.
Restore original Icons button breaks the desktop. Haven't tested this but I guess you are using /root/... as path in the script. Maybe using $HOME/ instead (as I posted the path here) will fix this.

Toni

fredx181

#4160 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, All

Here's .deb package for portablesfs (thoroughly tested this time, :) )
I think I did the packaging right but it's not easy these days with the new "rules" (for gsu/gksu))
Attached portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb.tar (remove dummy .tar extension)
Included loadsfs-fuse and loadsfs-fuse-writesfs scripts (see further below)

Changes for portablesfs:
- Removed the entry for entering command to be executed.
- Instead of above (running a command) a "Applications" menu will appear when running created portable-script.
- Name of created portable script will named after *.squashfs or *.sfs module, e.g. "023-abiword-2.8.6-docx-portable"
- Depends on unionfs-fuse for the "Chroot mode"
- Took over some commands from Sfs-load mode to add to the Chroot mode, this way Chroot mode is just as reliable as Sfs-load mode (works the same with any module I tested)

Also in the .deb:
- loadsfs-fuse. Same as (before posted) previously named 'loadsfs' (with some fixes that makes it work with all modules I tested) Can be used for Drag'nDrop a module using "Chroot mode" , which depends on unionfs-fuse.
- loadsfs-fuse-writesfs. Same as above, but different, from included /usr/local/bin/Readme_loadsfs-fuse-writesfs:

The 'loadsfs-fuse-writesfs' script doesn't leave any traces behind in the filesystem / but:
It writes the config files (or any other) that a program creates to: /root/writesfs directory
When loading a module using 'loadsfs-fuse-writesfs' a program will read the content of /root/writesfs.
So, to start fresh everytime you need to delete /root/writesfs
Ok, last :)
Attached loadmodule_loadsfs.tar.gz:
Includes:
. New 'loadmodule' script, fixes:
- When (sometimes) a module fails to unload, added forcing unmount (in case it doesn't normally)
- Added workaround for OpenBox version to show the application in the menu after loading.
Toni, I found that on Jwm version there's no problem at all so you can keep the older version if you want.
. Script "loadsfs"
It is using the default "Sfs-load mode" and I think this will be best to use for the SFSdrop icon on the Desktop.
Disadvantage is that it doesn't work with full install.
Advantage is that it doesn't need unionfs-fuse package
loadsfs-fuse can also be used, I'm not sure yet what's best.

Please test when you have time, Toni, no hurry, I know it's a lot to test.
Btw, looking at all changes, I think the new release of DebianDog will be great, lots of useful innovations!

Edit: Small disadvantage for portablesfs "Chroot mode", loadsfs-fuse and loadsfs-fuse-writesfs:
When using it when logged in with normal user account, sudo and su doesn't work (when running Xterm from "Applications" menu and trying to use sudo or su). Can't figure out why.

Edit: New portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb uploaded with sudo fix
Edit2: Attachment removed, See for new portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 787#823787

Fred
Attachments
loadmodule_loadsfs.tar.gz
New loadmodule + loadsfs
(3.8 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 19:48, edited 2 times in total.