Dropbox Filemanager

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
fredx181

#106 Post by fredx181 »

Hi mikeb, any reason for not updating dropbox-gui with my latest proposed improvements ?

Fred

mikeb

#107 Post by mikeb »

Hi fred

I did I think a while ago but forgot to announce at the end of this thread :oops: ... assuming we are talking about the needed script update for curl and the fix for name spaces.

If its something else let me know.... my befuddled brain is a bit distracted at the moment.

mike

fredx181

#108 Post by fredx181 »

mikeb wrote:Hi fred

I did I think a while ago but forgot to announce at the end of this thread :oops: ... assuming we are talking about the needed script update for curl and the fix for name spaces.

If its something else let me know.... my befuddled brain is a bit distracted at the moment.

mike
Ah, sorry Mike, I assumed that you'd announce it and I forgot to look at first post. :oops:

Fred

mikeb

#109 Post by mikeb »

Worry not... at least I am not going mad in spite of pressure to do so :D

mike

Jake Grey

#110 Post by Jake Grey »

Hi. Slightly embarrassing problem here. I managed to get your program installed, but when I get to the part where I'm supposed to input the access token, I can't copy and paste it: Ctrl+V and Ctrl+Shift+V just make a ^ symbol appear.

The obvious workaround would seem to be running "dropbox_uploader.sh" in LXTerminal, but I have no idea where to find it in /root.

mikeb

#111 Post by mikeb »

Ah yes... paste with middle mouse button OR shift insert might work for you.

mike

mikeb

#112 Post by mikeb »

Seems my notifications have stopped again and my newly created email address is banned.. very odd.
So I may take a while to respond.

Mike

Jake Grey

#113 Post by Jake Grey »

Shift + Insert did the trick. Much obliged.

sfeeley

awesome!

#114 Post by sfeeley »

This is great!

I agree with the above poster that cut/paste instructions in the help section might be handy for those who don't normally touch a terminal

ALSO: This is just what I was looking for, and actually ADDS functionality to dropbox. I was looking for an easy way to download my entire dropbox to an external harddrive.
DB actually recommends against this, since disconnecting a harddrive can break synchronization and result in loss of files. They suggest downloading everything to an Internal HD first, and then copying to an external HD.
But my internal HD isn't big enough--I felt stuck!

But this allows a simple download to an external HD without the middle steps. And no auto synchronization (I suspect) means that this can't corrupt the web-stored files.

As such, I see this as handy to use in addition to, not as substitute for regular DB, which I plan to continue using for regular synchronization of more select files

Package this as a standalone and market to the masses?
(maybe this already exists but I didn't see it)

sfeeley

unexpected selective sync

#115 Post by sfeeley »

Noticed one quirk, related to selective sync

On most of my computers I use the "selective sync" dropbox option, which allows me to choose which folders I want to have downloaded to my computer. This allows to have large files/directories only on DB cloud storage that are not filling up local drive on computer's small HD.

last night I used Computer A to upload files to DB using the filemanager.

On Computers B and C these files were automatically added to the list of directories for selective sync, and downloaded.
-When I look at the selective sync control, under settings, they appear with "check boxes" next to them that I did not add.

Any way to prevent this?

mikeb

#116 Post by mikeb »

Any way to prevent this?
Hmm I am assuming the default behaviour is to include newly added files to be synced.

I understand what you would like to happen and there may be a switch with the upload api but I do not know off the top of my head... one I will look into.

No notifications again :(

And yes a handy tool... its just a couple of bash scripts in essence. I also made a similar functioning web interface with again simplicity in mind.

As for cut and paste help that's a good idea.

Watch this (vacant) space

mike