My report on Quirky 6.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Billtoo

Re: Q6.1.2

#321 Post by Billtoo »

bobtron wrote: My test notes: in Q6.1.1 downloaded repo {Billtoo} VLC and ibiblio QT stuff...worked a couple times then it would only load file but refused to play.
Started over clean partition sda6, loaded Quirky 6.1 then took service pack update to Q6.1.2..installed VLC from repo and QT from ibiblio files..same symptoms..worked fine a couple times then it would load file {proper time counter} but would not play..also tried to uninstall VLC / QT stuff but i don't know. still had menu entry in Multimedia. Am I missing something or doing it wrong?
I have to tell VLC which audio device to use every time that I start
it and there may be some video formats that won't play but I haven't
found one yet.
Maybe Smplayer will work better for you, it's in the repo, it needs qt
but if you use puppy package manager it will install qt as well as
smplayer.
Hope this helps.
Attachments
smplayer.jpg
(93.65 KiB) Downloaded 733 times

sszindian

RAM

#322 Post by sszindian »

james C wrote:
Haven't noticed any difference in performance between the Quirky versions and overall it seems to use less ram than other Pup's ....... at least on my hardware.

----------------------------------------------------
'Thanks James C'

I guess the RAM build-up in Lina-Lite is specific to that build... Will have to look there for further problem... at first, I thought it might be 'T2' related but it doesn't appear that's the case?

Again thank's

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

James C

#323 Post by James C »

Quick little problem report....... just burned a cd (Slacko64-5.8.6) and the icon for the optical drive never appeared on the desktop.
The burn was performed correctly....just no icon.
Quirky 6.1.2 from earlier posts.

bobtron

Q6.1.2

#324 Post by bobtron »

Tnx Billtoo!..that maybe key intel for me to make VLC play ball with Q..i tried this once in VLC{"tools/preferences"reset defaults"} and that worked once but failed next attempt..file would load..timer indicated proper count..but reverted to a stuck white screen..i dunno....running Slacko 5.5XL now {VLC works flawless, no troubles found}..When i get back in to Q land, i will give all the lads and lassies my full report..
-many tnx to you and the team.

bobtron

Q6.1.2

#325 Post by bobtron »

I am back {less than 1 hour}..in Q6.1.2..many tnx to Billtoo for the "heads up"..I downloaded SMPlayer from repo..working well {currently rocking and and rolling to METRIC in the USA by a band from Canada [oh, the irony]..some youtubes or music clips have skipped ahead ~1 to 3 minutes into the groove as start point..any ideas?

broomdodger

#326 Post by broomdodger »

EeePC 701, 1gb ram, 4gb ssd, display 800x600

+ boot Quirky 6.1.2 from 4gb usb drive
- try to install Quirky 6.1.2 to INTERNAL 4gb ssd
- failed device in use by system ???
? is it possible to install Quirky 6.1.2 from Quirky 6.1.2 usb drive

+ try to boot Precise 5.7.1 from EXTERNAL usb cd
- boot screen... but could not find sfs ???
? this seems to happen often, sfs not found in EXTERNAL cd

+ install puppy_precise_5.7.1.sfs, initrd.gz, vmlinuz on 1gb sd card
- boot Precise 5.7.1 from EXTERNAL usb cd
- install Quirky 6.1.2 to INTERNAL 4gb ssd !! success
- install devx-6.1.2-quirky6.pet success
- compile vim7.4.141 success
- compile sylpheed-3.4.0beta7 success
- still 2.1gb free

- look for dead links
# find -L /lib /usr -type l -exec ls -latr {} +
- none after clean install
- the following after devx install
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Dec 1 10:19 /lib/libtermcap.a -> libncurses.a

- other problems
Menu > Setup > Adobe Flash Preferences
clicking Playback tab crashes Adobe Flash Preferences

The Storage, Camera and Mic, and Advanced tabs are ok.

Starting in urxvt:

# flash-player-properties
Segmentation fault

Bill
Last edited by broomdodger on Sun 12 Jan 2014, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Re: Q6.1.2

#327 Post by Billtoo »

bobtron wrote:..some youtubes or music clips have skipped ahead ~1 to 3 minutes into the groove as start point..any ideas?
No, I've never seen it do that before.

Rooey

quirky-to-usb-success

#328 Post by Rooey »

@ James C: Did you try to install to usb while in precise561? That was my downfall (I had same problem as you on page 8 ) I planned to test 571 & try from there, but I installed while testing raring3992, with the script method, onto a cruzer blade
Successfully booted, & like ubuntu12.04 etc. on acer AL1717 monitor, screen jumps way over to the right, & have to use the monitor's auto adjust button repeatedly until it jumps back into place (personal issue with linux kernel & my hardware I believe)
After selecting settings, with the following little window ‘changed host name’ was also “processing, please wait

8-bit

#329 Post by 8-bit »

What are all of you that have installed Quirky to drive using the script doing that I am not?
I tried to used the script and first, I got a notice that mkfs.f2fs did not exist on Slacko 5.5. I created a link to mke2fs and then got a notice of no configuration file found or something like that with the crated partition showing up in Gparted as unknown.
I then tried the script in Lupu 520 and again, no mkfs.f2fs found.

This is frustrating after reading Barry's comments that the script should work running it from Puppy and yet it does not.
Is he, Barry using some modified Puppy we all do not know about to write the scripts?

I should not have to modify/edit an install script to get Quirky installed to a 4gig flash drive!

So what versions of Puppy is everyone using with the install scripts.
Or are they bypassing the scripts and doing it manually step by step?

adi

locked f2fs partition

#330 Post by adi »

I tried to make a fat32 partition at the end of usb stick after install to have a bit of room for others os to see it but the partition is locked. Gparted said that canoot resize because f2fs tool is missing. A 16g usb is too expensive here... 8g 2.0 is 8 euro.

Rooey

PAY ATTENTION

#331 Post by Rooey »

@ 8-bit, did you read my post, just before yours?? (the 1st paragraph) i can confirm it works from the latest raring. I can unofficially confirm it works from precise571, from previous posts of this thread.
A list of pups that the script does & doesn't work for would be nice, but N-E-W-E-R pups. Slacko5.7 is about at release status, which I assume will/does work too. Then there's ovprecise 5.8
Extracting the usb image also failed from precise 561 for me. I probably tried a larger usb stick, after a "small" 8gb/(7.5gb) may not have been big enough..
Just installed the pet to update 6.1.2 to 6.1.3 i would recommend installing at the end of your session, as it asks to reboot straight away
Last edited by Rooey on Sun 12 Jan 2014, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

timothyli

#332 Post by timothyli »

After a night "pet" hunting for missing shared libraries (libgconf, libgcrypt, libgpg-error, libudev, libdbus, libdbus-glib), I was able to make some progress in getting google-chrome to run on Quirky6. I was using 6.1.2.

I found google-chrome pets at http://yadi.sk/d/zTshLczR4wHj8

However, I could only get goolge-chrome-26 to run, but not google-chrome-31 (the latest). Version 31 complains about undefined symbol:

When I do "ldd -d -r /usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome" on a terminal, I get:

undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_screen (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_display (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_width (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_pixmap_get_size (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_x11_window_lookup_for_display (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_visual_get_depth (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_drag_context_get_source_window (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gtk_button_get_event_window (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_height (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)

Any ideas? I don't know enough about gdk to fix. Is it to do with gdk include headers, or the particular version of gtk used in Quirky6? I compared the files for gtk installation Puppy Precise 5.7.1 (google-chrome runs fine out-of-the-box) against that of Quirky6 and they are quite different.

By the way, google-chrome-26 runs very fast under Quirky6 (faster than Seamonkey) and the problematic video podcast I mentioned earlier http://twit.tv/show/this-week-in-google/231 which was choppy in Seamonkey fullscreen now plays very smoothly in google-chrome-26 fullscreen.

I need the latest version of google-chrome to run so I can play with the Chromecast I recently bought. Version 26 is too old and does not support the Chromecast extension. Any help to get google-chrome to run would be appreciated.

I love Quirky6!

timothyli

#333 Post by timothyli »

gcmartin wrote:Hi @Timothyli

And, as suggested, if could be a video driver issue on the local PC. My ignorance in this matter suggest that it could be the fact of HTML5 (Chrome) vs Flash (Seamonkey) or it may be a codec issue (version). Again, my ignorance suggest this.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the suggestion. It is definitely a Seamonkey (or rather Mozilla) issue, For a test, I did a fresh install of the latest version of Ubuntu (13.10) on a fast SSD and the default browser, which is Firefox, has the same issue with this particular video, i.e. choppy when in fullscreen. This problem has been reported by other people but so far I could not find a solution that works. Strangely enough, Firefox has no problem with this video in fullscreen when running under Windows 7.

(update) Apparently this is a known flash problem http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/972749. Google Chrome uses a special version of flash called pepper flash which is immune to this problem.
Last edited by timothyli on Sun 12 Jan 2014, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

#334 Post by L18L »

8-bit wrote:...So what versions of Puppy is everyone using with the install scripts....
not any Puppy
not any Precise Puppy
just recent Puppy Precise 5.7.1

James C

#335 Post by James C »

Used Upgrade Manager to upgrade from 6.1.2 to 6.1.3.......all appears to be functioning normally.

-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory : 2065MB (172MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Quirky - 6.1.3
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 12 Jan 2014 09:33:27 AM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

Code: Select all

# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       2065684       310544      1755140            0         4468
-/+ buffers:             306076      1759608
Swap:      2150396            0      2150396
# 

Billtoo

My report on Quirky 6.0

#336 Post by Billtoo »

I applied the service_pack-6.1.2_TO_6.1.3-quirky6.pet to my ((early) not
latest) Quirky 6.1.2 install and it seems to be working well.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sun 12 Jan 2014 on Quirky 6.1.3 Linux 3.12.6 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (602x343 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-01-12_105522.jpg
(48.57 KiB) Downloaded 3192 times

timothyli

#337 Post by timothyli »

timothyli wrote:After a night "pet" hunting for missing shared libraries (libgconf, libgcrypt, libgpg-error, libudev, libdbus, libdbus-glib), I was able to make some progress in getting google-chrome to run on Quirky6. I was using 6.1.2.

I found google-chrome pets at http://yadi.sk/d/zTshLczR4wHj8

However, I could only get goolge-chrome-26 to run, but not google-chrome-31 (the latest). Version 31 complains about undefined symbol:

When I do "ldd -d -r /usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome" on a terminal, I get:

undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_screen (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_display (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_width (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_pixmap_get_size (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_x11_window_lookup_for_display (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_visual_get_depth (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_drag_context_get_source_window (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gtk_button_get_event_window (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)
undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_height (/usr/lib/google-chrome/chrome)

Any ideas? I don't know enough about gdk to fix. Is it to do with gdk include headers, or the particular version of gtk used in Quirky6? I compared the files for gtk installation Puppy Precise 5.7.1 (google-chrome runs fine out-of-the-box) against that of Quirky6 and they are quite different.

By the way, google-chrome-26 runs very fast under Quirky6 (faster than Seamonkey) and the problematic video podcast I mentioned earlier http://twit.tv/show/this-week-in-google/231 which was choppy in Seamonkey fullscreen now plays very smoothly in google-chrome-26 fullscreen.

I need the latest version of google-chrome to run so I can play with the Chromecast I recently bought. Version 26 is too old and does not support the Chromecast extension. Any help to get google-chrome to run would be appreciated.

I love Quirky6!
In case someone is interested in those missing libraries for google-chrome to run in Quirky6 (i.e. libgconf, libudev, libdbus, libdbus-glib, libgcrypt, libgpg-error), I have packaged them in a pet here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwtdfQ ... sp=sharing

Billtoo

#338 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Quirky 6.1.2 to a 32gb usb 3.0 lexar flash drive, applied
the service_pack-6.1.2_TO_6.1.3-quirky6.pet.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Mon 13 Jan 2014 on Quirky 6.1.3 Linux 3.12.6 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (602x343 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Booting when the drive is plugged into a usb 3.0 port takes about 15
seconds, booting from a usb 2.0 port takes about 35 seconds.

It's working well on either port.

EDIT:
I did another install of Quirky 6.1.2 to a 16gb usb 3.0 flash drive.
Attachments
flashdrive2.jpg
(58.45 KiB) Downloaded 2883 times
flashdrive.jpg
(72.17 KiB) Downloaded 2925 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 13 Jan 2014, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

slenkar

#339 Post by slenkar »

Using this as my main distro,
Nice and fast esp.file browsing

slavvo67

Quirky 6.1.3 USB

#340 Post by slavvo67 »

I am running Quirky 6.1.3 with the upgrade package from 6.1.2 (which I installed fresh before upgrading to 6.1.3). I zeroed out the USB as the default option on the install script. Now, my USB is not always being recognized as bootable when left in the USB port of my computer. It still boots to Quirky but not always.

I realize this could be a ME issue and not a Quirky one but I wanted to put it out there in case others are also seeing the same issue in Quirky.

Regards,

Slavvo67