Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Sep 2014, 09:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
My report on Quirky 6.0
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 50 [740 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 48, 49, 50 Next
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec 2013, 07:42    Post subject:  

eowens2 wrote:
I am trying to install quirky6.0.1 on to a laptop 32GB SSD drive, selecting a f2fs format. I am installing from a 16 GB USB stick running quirky6.0.

The install process reported no errors and resulted in a 16 MiB /dev/sdb1 with apparent required files (including a syslinux.cfg with a valid UUID for partition 2, and a boot flag present), and a 28.5 GiB /dev/sdb2 with what appears to be a normal root file system.

When I try to boot I get "This is not a bootable disk. Please insert a bootable floppy and try again". I checked on my version of syslinux and it is 5.10.

BK warned that syslinux 5.10 has problems, and when I try to install syslinux-4.05-86.pet I get "Error, package 'syslinux-4.05-86.pet' failed to install."

I found a copy of "syslinux-3.73.pet" but when I clicked on it, it also failed to install.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

I have had no trouble with installing PETs in Quirky 6.0. You just download the syslinux-4.05-x86.pet, then click on it. Then it gets installed.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec 2013, 07:50    Post subject: Re: Google Chrome on Quirky 6
Subject description: Google Chrome on Quirky 6

mavrothal wrote:
BarryK wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
BarryK wrote:

In most cases we will have to compile apps especially for Quirky, and some apps might not be compilable without addition of extra packages.

Indeed video drivers fail to compile because some xorg devel files appear to be missing (xvmc in one case and xaa.h in another).

Is full xorg support in future plans by anyone?

There is a video upgrade PET, see the "zcombo_xorg_glsoft" here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/x86/packages/pet_packages-quirky6/

These (and its DEV pet) where installed. Sorry for not mentioning it.

Another little issue is that PPM opens to a blank window (no packages shown) and when you try to get a pet defaults to local folder with no remote repo options available to download from.

Latter: Trying to boot quirky this morning failed to start X because xkb module failed to initialize. xorgwizard could not solve this.
Apparently the zcombo_xorg_glsoft pet broke X. Crying or Very sad

Latter latter: Removing the pet manually brakes X tottaly Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Obviously some of the original X files where clobbered and being a full install they are gone after removal.
Oh, well...

Yes, you can't just delete a PET in a full installation, when they are critical files. Later, when my audit-trail is fully implemented, you will be able to.

The zombo PETs had a bug, I fixed them, look at ibiblio (names now have "-1":

The problem is /usr/X11R7/share/xkb should be a symlink to /etc/X11/xkb.

Well, you can manually fix it. Running another distro, open up the two fixed PETs and manually copy the files into the Quirky partition.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec 2013, 07:53    Post subject:  

See my post on xf86-video-intel accelerated driver:

http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00030

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec 2013, 07:58    Post subject: Re: Quirky
Subject description: Install HD problem

rameshiyer wrote:
I am unable to install quirky quirky - partition.sh. It should be ext2,ext3 or ext4 partition. However, Please note that I trying to install quirky 6.0.1 from Precise 5. 7.1. Barry Sir, Please help me

One of the guys reported an error when the 'xz' utility tried to expand the quirky*.xz file in a fat partition. Which is why I put in that check, that you are running the script in a Linux partition.

However, there is another later report, see above, that xz is ok in a fat32 partition.

So, where the script stops and says that you don't have a Linux partition, but gives you the option of going ahead anyway, choose to go ahead, and let me know if it works.

rameshiyer

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec 2013, 10:53    Post subject: Quirky 6.00
Subject description: Hardk Disk Installation

Barry Sir

In both machine at office and home PC, your script for install in partition is not working while running at Precise 5.7.1. It is able to proceed after entering some character, however, it is reporting some other problems. Anyway I will try again and let you know the status.

Whereas in Fatdog Puppy, I would like to inform you Sir, that I was able to install Quirky 6.0.1 in my office Desktop.

The working of Quirky also seems to be good Happy X'mas and very Happy New Year. Expecting many more interesting stuff from you in 2014.,

This is N.N. Ramachandran from Kerala ( God's own Country)
eowens2

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec 2013, 11:21    Post subject:  

Quote:

eowens2 wrote:
I am trying to install quirky6.0.1 on to a laptop 32GB SSD drive, selecting a f2fs format. I am installing from a 16 GB USB stick running quirky6.0.

The install process reported no errors and resulted in a 16 MiB /dev/sdb1 with apparent required files (including a syslinux.cfg with a valid UUID for partition 2, and a boot flag present), and a 28.5 GiB /dev/sdb2 with what appears to be a normal root file system.

When I try to boot I get "This is not a bootable disk. Please insert a bootable floppy and try again". I checked on my version of syslinux and it is 5.10.

BK warned that syslinux 5.10 has problems, and when I try to install syslinux-4.05-86.pet I get "Error, package 'syslinux-4.05-86.pet' failed to install."

I found a copy of "syslinux-3.73.pet" but when I clicked on it, it also failed to install.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

BK wrote:
I have had no trouble with installing PETs in Quirky 6.0. You just download the syslinux-4.05-x86.pet, then click on it. Then it gets installed.

Turns out I had a bad download on syslinux-4.05-86.pet (thought I had checked the sha1sums...apparently not!). Re-downloaded the PET and it worked fine.

The f2fs installation to the 32 GB SSH drive is now booting smoothly.

Thank you.
rameshiyer

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec 2013, 11:34    Post subject: Quirky
Subject description: Hard Disk Install

Dear Barry Sir

Now I am able to install quirky in Hard Disk after increasing the save file Precise Puppy. 5.7.1.( Precise says not able to Mount Point, etc) Still it is not recognizing the Linux Partition. I don;t know the connection between file size of "save file" in Precise and installation of Quirky in other partition. Finally Quirky installed in both machine. Thank you Very much.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec 2013, 11:36    Post subject: Re: Google Chrome on Quirky 6
Subject description: Google Chrome on Quirky 6

BarryK wrote:

The zombo PETs had a bug, I fixed them, look at ibiblio (names now have "-1":

On a fresh quirky-6.0.1 install with the zcombo -1 pets xvmc is sitill missing.
Also now SeaMonkey segfaults.

Season Greetings

drblock2

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec 2013, 12:06    Post subject: booting Quirky 6.0.1  

I attempted to install Quirky 6.0.1 to an 8 GB USB stick from an ntfs partition. The install script admonished me to use a linux partition. As the only one I had handy was a reiser partition on another machine, I copied the files to that machine and attempted to install from the reiser partition, using Precise 5.7.1 (which was located on another FAT32 partition).

Everything seem to go well, except for a strange warning to the effect that the FAT16 sdb1 partition on the USB drive "seems to be write only."

Attempting to boot from the USB stick failed with an error message saying that the disk was not bootable.

I moved to Slacko 5.6.1 and checked sdb1 on the USB stick. There were five files listed:

boot.msg
file.lst
help.msg
logo.16
syslinux.cfg
vmlinuz

So, the partition was certainly not read only (at least at the point when these files were copied).

I removed these for safe keeping since I was now venturing into don't-know-what-I-am-doing territory and ran
Code:
syslinux -s /dev/sdb1

This wrote a single file to the partition: ldlinux.sys. I copied back the files listed above and rebooted.

Voilà! Perfect boot on my ThinkPad R400.

Could this problem be eliminated by loading an appropriate ldlinux.sys (I used SYSLINUX 3.73 2009-01-25 ) along with the other five files?
zekebaby

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec 2013, 13:32    Post subject: Re: Quirky
Subject description: Install HD problem

BarryK wrote:
However, there is another later report, see above, that xz is ok in a fat32 partition.

One explanation may be because I used 'xz' from Upup Precise 3.8.3.1, which might be a different version than the one in Quirky.

If I have time, I'll do some tests tonight; sending the compressed image file to md5sum or sha1sum using both Quirky and Upup and see if there are differences.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec 2013, 14:16    Post subject: Re: booting Quirky 6.0.1  

drblock2 wrote:
I attempted to install Quirky 6.0.1 to an 8 GB USB stick from an ntfs partition. The install script admonished me to use a linux partition. As the only one I had handy was a reiser partition on another machine, I copied the files to that machine and attempted to install from the reiser partition, using Precise 5.7.1 (which was located on another FAT32 partition).

Everything seem to go well, except for a strange warning to the effect that the FAT16 sdb1 partition on the USB drive "seems to be write only."

Attempting to boot from the USB stick failed with an error message saying that the disk was not bootable.

I moved to Slacko 5.6.1 and checked sdb1 on the USB stick. There were five files listed:

boot.msg
file.lst
help.msg
logo.16
syslinux.cfg
vmlinuz

So, the partition was certainly not read only (at least at the point when these files were copied).

I removed these for safe keeping since I was now venturing into don't-know-what-I-am-doing territory and ran
Code:
syslinux -s /dev/sdb1

This wrote a single file to the partition: ldlinux.sys. I copied back the files listed above and rebooted.

Voilà! Perfect boot on my ThinkPad R400.

Could this problem be eliminated by loading an appropriate ldlinux.sys (I used SYSLINUX 3.73 2009-01-25 ) along with the other five files?

Yes syslinux can not be just copied.. some cases it will work but not all. A corrupted filesystem would act just like you described. You should reformat and duplicate just to be safe.
rameshiyer

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec 2013, 21:32    Post subject: Quirky
Subject description: Internet connection

In both Precise and Quirky, my 3G Internet connection is working perfectly. During booting, it says 3G modem detected. No more settings required and network connection established . My modem is Huawei Hi-Link Modem. I am very much impressed. Thanks.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec 2013, 09:38    Post subject: My report on Quirky 6.0  

I compiled Wine 1.7.9 and installed the windows version of Vlc 2.1.2,
Vlc works okay for sound but videos don't play smoothly although they
are viewable.
Also VLC doesn't work on some of my other Quirky installs for some
reason,the install with the intel driver for one.
Just having fun anyways Smile
winescreen.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   43.98 KB
 Viewed   802 Time(s)

winescreen.jpg

ETP

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec 2013, 10:25    Post subject: How to do a manual frugal install to a hard disc partition.
Subject description: Quirky 6.0.1 No additional boot-loaders needed on hard disc

Background.

I only ever boot my pc from a 8GB USB2 stick which remains permanently plugged in. It is split into two partitions FAT32 and EXT4 which provides a working partition for Linux files to preserve permissions.
Syslinux 4.04 is used on the first FAT32 partition to provide the boot. The kernels and initrds of several pups are installed in separate directories on this partition. The relevant main sfs’s and save files are installed in dedicated directories on the first NTFS partition of my SSD. XP Pro is also installed on that volume.

The hard drive has a second f2fs partition containing the savefile and main sfs for Thin Slacko. The 3rd partition (sda3) is a 2GB Linux Swap partition available to all pups.

This setup can be described as a manual mixed frugal install. You get the speed of boot from the hard disc but none of the risks associated with installing other boot-loaders on your C: drive. NTLRD is sacrosanct and all too easily upset.

STEP1:

Follow BK’s instructions and perform an install of Quirky to a USB stick. I opted for f2fs as the format for the second partition on the stick as I intended ultimately to utilise the existing f2fs partition on my SSD. (sda2)

STEP2:

Test that it works and fill in the usual first-run fields. Shut down and put it to one side.

STEP3:

Prepare a fat32 boot stick or card using syslinux 4.04. Creating a second (ext4) partition is optional.

STEP4:

Shrink your NTFS partition using Gparted in an f2fs aware Pup such as Precise 5.7.1.
Obviously you need to have the free space to shrink the volume and I would suggest minimising the shrinkage to say 8-16 GB which will be sufficient to then create a 2GB swap partition plus either an f2fs or ext4 partition if you prefer. If you already possess a suitable partition you can use that. It is strongly advisable to perform a disk check within Windows before shrinking an NTFS partition.

STEP5:

Create a “quirky” directory on the boot stick and copy vmlinuz (2991kb) into it from the 16Meg fat partition on the stick you made in STEP1.
Copy the complete contents of the second f2fs partition on that stick to the root of the f2fs partition that you have created on your hard drive. Do not create a directory.

Notes:

A full copy of my syslinux.cfg is reproduced below. Note that the boot syntax is very different for Quirky. From pressing enter on the vesamenu a fully working desktop is reached in 20 seconds. I must say that Quirky is very nice. It certainly has the best out of the box desktop of any Puppy to date with exceptional clarity.

If there is any demand I will produce a 16 Meg image that could be flashed onto any card or stick with Win32diskimager v0.7 to produce the “boot” stick. It would contain all the syslinux files plus the current vmlinuz from Quirky.
Code:
# Boot using 8GB Nano USB2 with main sfs & savefile on NTFS HDD (sda1)and(sda2)for f2fs
# Splash screen with RED text & beaker2 background (1024x768)
UI vesamenu.c32
DEFAULT 543SSD
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 220
MENU RESOLUTION 1024 768
MENU BACKGROUND /splash/beaker2.jpg
# MENU BACKGROUND /splash/beach.png
# MENU BACKGROUND /splash/bart9splash.jpg
# MENU BACKGROUND /splash/puppy.jpg

MENU WIDTH 32
MENU MARGIN 0
MENU ROWS 30
MENU HELPMSGROW 26
MENU TIMEOUTROW 27
MENU TABMSGROW 28
MENU CMDLINEROW 29
MENU HSHIFT 46
MENU VSHIFT 5

menu color screen   37;40      #00000000 #00000000 none
   menu color border   30;44      #00000000 #00000000 none
   menu color title   1;36;44    #00000000 #00000000 none
#   menu color unsel   37;44      #ff6a6a6a #00000000 none
   menu color unsel    1;36;44    #fc0000 #00000000 std   
   menu color hotkey   1;37;44    #ff6a6a6a #00000000 none
   menu color sel      7;37;40    #ffffffff #ff6a6a6a none
   menu color hotsel   1;7;37;40  #ff808080 #ff6a6a6a none
   menu color scrollbar   30;44      #00000000 #00000000 none

menu color tabmsg   31;40      #aaaaaaaa #00000000 none
   menu color cmdmark   1;36;40    #ffff0000 #00000000 none
   menu color cmdline   37;40      #aaaaaaaa #00000000 none
   menu color pwdborder   30;47      #ffff0000 #00000000 std
   menu color pwdheader   31;47      #ffff0000 #00000000 std
   menu color pwdentry   30;47      #ffff0000 #00000000 std
#   menu color timeout_msg   37;40      #aaaaaaaa #00000000 none
   menu color timeout_msg   37;40      #fc0000 #00000000 none
   menu color timeout   1;37;40    #ffaaaaff #00000000 std
   menu color help      37;40      #aaaaaa00 #00000000 none
   menu color msg07   37;40      #90ffffff #00000000 std

LABEL 543SSD
MENU LABEL Precise 543     SSD 06/02/13
KERNEL /p543/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/p543/initrd.gz pmedia=atahd pupsfs=sda1:/p543/puppy_precise_5.4.3.sfs pfix=fsck pdev1=sda1

MENU SEPARATOR
LABEL Obepup
MENU LABEL ObedientPup V3  SSD 04/11/13
KERNEL /obepup/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/obepup/initrd.gz pmedia=atahd pupsfs=sda1:/obepup/puppy_precise_5.6.1.sfs pfix=fsck pdev1=sda1

MENU SEPARATOR
LABEL Precise561
MENU LABEL MouseCamPup V6  SSD 20/06/13
KERNEL /p561/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/p561/initrd.gz pmedia=atahd pupsfs=sda1:/p561/puppy_precise_5.6.1.sfs pfix=fsck pdev1=sda1

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL 5504SSD
MENU LABEL Thin Slacko     SSD 10/05/13
KERNEL /p5504/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/p5504/initrd.gz pmedia=atahd pupsfs=sda2:/p5504/puppy_slacko_5.5.04.sfs pdev1=sda2

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL quirkSSD
MENU LABEL Quirky 6.0.1    SSD 20/12/13
KERNEL /quirky/vmlinuz
APPEND root=/dev/sda2 rw

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL 533SSD
MENU LABEL Slacko 533      SSD 14/09/12
KERNEL /p533/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/p533/initrd.gz pmedia=atahd pupsfs=sda1:/p533/puppy_slacko_5.3.3.sfs pdev1=sda1

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL 5411SSD
MENU LABEL Magoo Pup V6    SSD 10/12/12
KERNEL /p5411/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/p5411/initrd.gz pmedia=atahd pupsfs=sda1:/p5411/puppy_precise_5.4.1.1.sfs pfix=fsck pdev1=sda1

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL windows
MENU LABEL Windows XP Pro
COM32 chain.c32
APPEND hd1 1 swap

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL reboot
MENU LABEL Reboot
COM32 reboot.c32

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL off
MENU LABEL Power Off
COMBOOT poweroff.com

Edit 22/12/13

Upon reflection it is likely to be STEP3: (The production with syslinux 4.04 of the boot stick or card) that may cause issues here for anyone not well versed in that area.

I have therefore produced such an image that can be flashed onto a card or stick >=16MEG. It contains the current 6.0.1 vmlinuz and prior to making it bootable I also used the HP utility on it which should ensure that it will boot even on a difficult bios.

Depending on your particular bios it will appear either as a hard disc or removable drive. In either case it should be placed at the top of the bios boot order. When you boot from it you will see a menu and may or may not see a splash screen depending on the vesa abilities of your hardware.

The image file (16MegQuirkyBoot601.img) together with the XP utility to flash the image on to the target device (win32diskimager-v0.7-binary) are available on:
www.mydrive.ch

Guest login name = maddog@puppy4
Password= maddog

The files are in the root together with their md5sums.

Win32diskimager is in ZIP form & just needs extracting. It does not require installation. To launch it click on Win32DiskImager.exe in the extracted directory.
Please note that any files on the target device will be erased.

Before you boot from the card or stick so produced, you may need to change the partition reference in syslinux.cfg which currently points at sda2.

Code:
APPEND root=/dev/sda2 rw

If for example you have all the Quirky files in sda3, change to that reference.

Edit 02/01/14

A 14Meg bootable image file for Quirky 6.1 is now available on my server. It contains the kernel (vmlinuz) from 6.1 plus all the syslinux files. Syslinux.cfg will need editing if your files are not on sda2.

Last edited by ETP on Thu 02 Jan 2014, 02:54; edited 3 times in total
starhawk

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec 2013, 22:33    Post subject:  

Followed directions exactly, installing to a 2gb SD card in my ASUS 1000HEB.

Quote:
This is not a bootable disk. Please insert a bootable floppy and try again.

Sad

How do I fix? All files appear to be there... the ASUS is currently running a frugal install of Upup Raring 3992.

Page 6 of 50 [740 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 48, 49, 50 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: