My report on Quirky 6.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Volhout

Re: My report on Quirky 6.0

#856 Post by Volhout »

Billtoo wrote:I installed PClinuxOS 64 bit to a usb3.0 hard drive on my mac mini.
Wrong Forum ... ???
Billtoo wrote:I vote PClinuxOS.
Definitely wrong forum.....!!!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#857 Post by BarryK »

Quirky Unicorn is not satisfactory on my laptop.

It is the screen rendering. When I scroll, white gaps appear on the age sometimes, and other "artifacts".
Not just in SeaMonkey.

Then there are characters that just disappear. Like, one particular letter will stop rendering, leaving a gap where it should be.

I don't know what can be the cause of this. The intel xorg driver?
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

ETP

#858 Post by ETP »

Hi Barry,

It may be that the rendering is not the problem but the symptom of something else that is hogging resources.
Monitoring in HTOP might show something and it may also be worth checking connectivity with continuous pings to both the router gateway & google.com.
This is pure conjecture.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Keisha

Netflix on Google Chrome under Quirky Unicorn 6.2.1

#859 Post by Keisha »

BarryK wrote:Quirky Unicorn is not satisfactory on my laptop...I don't know what can be the cause of this. The intel xorg driver?
Hello, first time on this forum. Quite a distro you've got here.

I have a desktop with i5-3770K cpu on an Asus P8H77-I mainboard, so its built-in graphics are intel 915. Quirky Unicorn 6.2.1 with the devx and kernel source is installed on hard drive partition sdb3. It was necessary to put vmlinuz on sda1/boot to get grub4dos to boot it, apparently grub4dos cannot see the second drive when both drives are size 500 GB, but the kernel can.

I found that, by upgrading libnss and the intel xorg driver, and then by loading Google Chrome 40.0.2214.6 from the dev channel, I am able to use Netflix. Unfortunately it was late at night when I was fiddling and I did not take notes as to exactly *which* libnss and intel xorg driver Ubuntu packages I used. I google'd "netflix on ubuntu libnss" and one of the search results produced the answer on libnss. Probably version 3.17. As for the Intel xorg driver, I suspect it was either

intel-linux-graphics-installer_1.0.7-0intel1_i386.deb
or
xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.99.910-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

as both are in my download subdirectory.

The resultant /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so is 1755 K in size.

Screeny:
Attachments
Netflix_on_Google_Chrome.png
Netflix on Google Chrome under Quirky Unicorn 6.2.1
(193.53 KiB) Downloaded 415 times

umair

#860 Post by umair »

HI Everyone.
I just downloaded the quirky 6.0. but can anybody tell me how to install it using
FRUGAL method ? what will be the menu entry for that as I am using GRUB4DOS.
Thanks.
(UMAIR)

trio

#861 Post by trio »

umair wrote:HI Everyone.
I just downloaded the quirky 6.0. but can anybody tell me how to install it using
Thanks.
(UMAIR)
You need to install quirky. I can't point you to a link now, you can google it. Barry guide the steps

trio

#862 Post by trio »

trio wrote:
Thanks.
(UMAIR)
You don't do frugal quirky

You need to install quirky. I can't point you to a link now, you can google it. Barry guide the steps

Keisha

You cannot install Quirky 6.0 as a frugal install like Puppy

#863 Post by Keisha »

Thanks.
(UMAIR)
Frugal install is not possible. To quote from
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... ky-6.x.htm

"...there are no SFS files, no session save-file, no initrd.gz, no frugal install. So, all discussion of these topics on the Forum is not relevant!"

Quirky 6.0 /6.2/6.21 is not available as a frugal install, only as a full install. It is installed via the script which comes with it, either

install-quirky-to-drive.sh

to put it on a usb stick or similar media, booted with syslinux,

or

install-quirky-to-partition.sh

to put it on a hard disk, booted with grub4dos.

install-quirky-to-partition.sh, at the end of the procedure, lists the commands to put into menu.lst so grub can boot it.

Once you have a working install of quirky 6.n to a hard disk partition, you can move the install to anywhere you like. Just move the entire filesystem (minus the lost+found subdirectory) to any ext3 or ext4 empty subdirectory, and point grub4dos to it by changing the entry in menu.lst

I found that grub4dos would not boot my full install of Quirky, because it exists on a partition too far from the beginning of sdb for grub4dos to find it. So I moved the kernel to sda1. My grub4dos menu.lst entry is:

Code: Select all

title Quirky 6.2.1 Unicorn (full install on sdb3)
  uuid (the uuid shown at the end of the install script)
  kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=PARTUUID=(the partition uuid shown at the end of the install script) rw i915.modeset=1
The (hd0,0) part tells grub to look for the kernel in sda1/boot.

The "i915.modeset=1" is because I have Intel 915 graphics.

You can also explicitly tell the kernel line where the filesystem is, without using uuid and PARTUID, but then if you swap disk drives around you will need to revise the line, such as:

Code: Select all

title Quirky 6.2.1 Unicorn (full install on sdb3)
root=(hd1,2)  
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb3 rw i915.modeset=1

ozsouth

Erik

#864 Post by ozsouth »

Interested in the progress of Quirky Erik, BK's latest venture. I think ffmpeg will probably be unavoidable if wider usability/appeal is desired.
Barry, as you enlightened the world with Puppy, I am hoping you can continue in that vein with a systemd-less Quirky, but not under anything like the pressure Puppy eventually brought to bear on you, i.e. pick up the bone when you feel like a chew, put it down when you don't.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Erik

#865 Post by BarryK »

ozsouth wrote:Interested in the progress of Quirky Erik, BK's latest venture. I think ffmpeg will probably be unavoidable if wider usability/appeal is desired.
Barry, as you enlightened the world with Puppy, I am hoping you can continue in that vein with a systemd-less Quirky, but not under anything like the pressure Puppy eventually brought to bear on you, i.e. pick up the bone when you feel like a chew, put it down when you don't.
Yes, I have started another compile with Buildroot this morning, with ffmpeg back in.

Buildroot can be quite temperamental. It is sensitive to the host-Linux that is running. Anyway, I am documenting it carefully, so others should be able to follow the same steps and have success.

My previous build had the full Samba, but then I realised just how big samba is, so pulled it out.

I do hope to create a live-CD soon, for anyone who is interested to play with Quirky Erik.

Incidentally, the "Erik" part of the name is in honour of the creator of Buildroot, Erik Anderson.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

don570

#866 Post by don570 »

In the version of tahrpup that I use, avconv is used rather than ffmpeg.

So I had to change my audio tools package to look first for ffmpeg

Available:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70759

umair

#867 Post by umair »

Hi Trio and Keisha:

thnx for your replies. I am interested to set this in my usb drive
along with others puppies.

I will try that.

Thnx again ;)

broomdodger

QE crash on gmail.com

#868 Post by broomdodger »

Barry wrote in `http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00120`:
The desktop of QE works, I can go online with Midori,
except it crashes when I go to gmail.com.

Barry, I recently had a problem with the Chrome website,
crashing Linux Mint 17. I wonder if there is connection.
Seems to be the video driver for certain graphics controllers.

Others have the same problem, see:
`http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2703`

Using Firefox on both machines.

Re-tried this site:
`http://www.google.com/chrome/`
that crashed the Toshiba Satellite M205 notebook.

With this HP Compaq nc6220 notebook – NO crash.

HP Compaq nc6220 notebook
Linux Mint 17.0 32-bit
CPU 32-bit single core – Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.00GHz
RAM 1gb (512×512)
Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (1400×1050)

Toshiba Satellite M205 notebook
Linux Mint 17.0 64-bit
CPU 64-bit – Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz
RAM 2gb (1024×1024)
Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (1280×800)

Bill

Billtoo

My report on Quirky 6.0

#869 Post by Billtoo »

Installed Quirky Unicorn to the 2nd hard drive of my compaq presario
S6700NX desktop pc.
Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory 1553MB (69MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Quirky Unicorn
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue 25 Nov 2014 08:38:43 AM EST
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI R200 (RV280 5960) x86/MMX/SSE2 DRI2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
Input Devices
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Chicony 2.4G Multimedia Wireless Kit
Chicony 2.4G Multimedia Wireless Kit
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
Printers (CUPS)
CUPS-PDF Default
SCSI Disks
ATA ST3160021A
ATA WDC WD1600BB-00G

Added many applications with PPM, no problems and runs well on this
older pc.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(143.41 KiB) Downloaded 630 times

Sage

#870 Post by Sage »

BK writes:
I am thinking of creating a "Long Term Supported" Quirky.
Great!

Rodney Byne

Quirky: proposed LTS version

#871 Post by Rodney Byne »

BK writes:
Quote:
I am thinking of creating a "Long Term Supported" Quirky.

If possible,
suggest also doing this via the current Q 6.1.4 Version Upgrade Manager to proposed v6.3.x,
so the existing downloaded application content on a flash drive wouldn't be disturbed.

Thanks Barry.

roadkill13

Quirky 6 LTS

#872 Post by roadkill13 »

I enjoyed testing Quirky 6 in the T2 and Woof build varieties. When the hard drive on my Dell Optiplex 755 ultra small form factor pc ground to a halt I inserted an 8 gig SDHC card and installed Quirky 6.14 to it using the f2fs filesystem.

It was the only version I could use as I do not have a another drive to store the files on during installation with the provided install scripts. I needed to install from a live CD and T2 is the only one that would install. Quirky Tahr install failed when the last bit of memory was eaten up. The pc has 2 gigs of RAM with about 950mb left over for use after the live cd boots into RAM.

I haven't looked back though. I still have plenty of space (almost 6 gigs) after adding some software. The OS is very fast and very stable. I installed Chrome 26 after installing some missing deps. I launch it with a script that identifies Chrome as the Midori (make that firefox) browser. This has caused sites to stop delivering "your browser is no longer supported message".

I would love to see continued work on the T2 build of Puppy! 6.14 is awesome.
Last edited by roadkill13 on Wed 03 Dec 2014, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.

Keisha

Quirky 6.2->6.2.1 devx pet conflicts with Intel 1.07 driver

#873 Post by Keisha »

After upgrading the intel 915 driver using the Intel® Graphics Installer for Linux™, and having first done the regular upgrade from 6.2 to 6.21, I tried then upgrading the devx. The result was that, upon reboot (immediately after installing the .pet), X would not start. Nothing I could think of, as far as rolling back xorg.conf, re-probing et cetera, would work.

(I should hasten to add, that nothing was lost, as I have created backup images of the Quirky partition at every turn).
Attachments
screencap4.png
Showing Intel 1.07 driver correctly functioning
(111.35 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
Last edited by Keisha on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

ozsouth

#874 Post by ozsouth »

BK:
My thinking is that I will create something that I will stick with for a few years.
Yes, please. Currently intending to stick with Slacko 5.7.0, but a new Quirky could change that.

slavvo67

#875 Post by slavvo67 »

Barry wrote:
The latest Quirky, Quirky Unicorn 6.2.1, built from Ubuntu 14.10 binary DEBs, is OK, except that I have graphics rendering issues with my Intel graphics chip, plus, as usual, I very much dislike the bloat.
I must say that even with my ancient Dell, I am not experiencing the graphics rendering issues that Barry is experiencing. QU seems to be the best distro, yet. It boots quickly, it auto-saves, it runs just about anything I can thing of installing and it's ugly green (ok, I changed that part). I'm not sure if I agree on the FreeOffice choice (still trying to like it more than Libre) but this is an extremely solid distro.

Barry, I hope you continue with this one for a while... In my opinion, it's far from just "ok" and may, in fact be the best overall distro to date. I upped to a 32G usb and I can just jam this puppy with everything. It's fast and light. - Thanks again.

Best,

Slavvo67