VLC upgrade for Tahr

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
nic007

VLC upgrade for Tahr

#1 Post by nic007 »

Those of you using VLC will know that the new VP9 (currently used by youtube) and probably also H265 videos can only be played with VLC version 2.20 and newer. The official releases of Tahr Puppy have an older VLC version. Now, there is a Tahr .pet for version 2.2 but it's huge (over 40mb). The latter works if you install the .pet over the existing VLC. I've made a much smaller upgrade (6MB) and packaged it as an sfs file. I also removed some corresponding files from my base sfs however this should not be necessary if you load this sfs as an adrv/ydrv with your builtin vlc intact. Rename the sfs file to that of an adrv/ydrv or add the contents of the sfs to your existing adrv/ydrv. Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16mpIb ... jtosh_duq-

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

Not starting a new thread but have just realised how feature rich the VLC player is. I was playing a video and realised that all text in the video (like names on display boards, names of shops, etc, were spelt backwards and upside down. I also noticed that people were shaking hands with their left hands. Otherwise, the video seemed "normal". So, first reaction was that this must be some trick to sidestep copyright laws. However, much to my surprise, I found that doing a horizontal flip in video effects, solved the issues. Ha, ha.

zagreb999

#3 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

your vlc works great
in tazpuppy,

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113255

but can not play video and audio

do you know what to do?

thanks

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

zagreb999 wrote:regards

your vlc works great
in tazpuppy,

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113255

but can not play video and audio

do you know what to do?

thanks
Do you mean it plays the video track but not the audio track? This could be a common problem with youtube videos because mostly the video and audio tracks are kept seperate on the server and needs to be merged.

zagreb999

#5 Post by zagreb999 »

no, no it can not play any video
any audio

...no video, no audio

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

You say it works great but doesn't play video and audio? I don't understand, too little information. Could be a specific video, specific Puppy or specific version of VLC related. I'm also not familiar with the Puppy you are using. I suggest you post your problem on the Tazpuppy thread so that people who use that Puppy may be able to assist.

zagreb999

#7 Post by zagreb999 »

nic,
greetinks

sorry for late replay...

if you have a time,
please, can you install tazpuppy
and test your vlc version?

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

zagreb999 wrote:nic,
greetinks

sorry for late replay...

if you have a time,
please, can you install tazpuppy
and test your vlc version?
You need a VLC package specifically compiled for Slitaz. Sorry, I can't help you with that.