#61 Post by bruno »

Yes now I deleted also 2.23, it was in usr/local
But where would 2.46 be hiding?

anikin

#62 Post by anikin »

We unpacked it to /usr/lib/seamonkey

Code: Select all

rm -rf /usr/lib/seamonkey && tar jxvf seamonkey-2.46.tar.bz2 -C /usr/lib
Is it there? Can you run the ./seamonkey command in the terminal from that directory? If it works, move that directory to /opt and follow the steps in the portable thread.

bruno

#63 Post by bruno »

in /usr/lib/seamonkey I found the 2.19, the old original Seamonkey from Upup Raring, it was still functional, but not updating, I deleted that already.
I have no idea where the 2.46 went to.

anikin

#64 Post by anikin »

OK, delete /usr/lib/seamonkey and let's do it once again ... let's make it portable, that is :)

1) Right-click in the directory where you saved the downloaded Seamonkey > window > terminal here and run this command

rm -rf /opt/seamonkey && tar jxvf seamonkey-2.46.tar.bz2 -C /opt
We are unpacking Seamonkey to /opt.

2) Once the unpacking process is complete, run this command from the same terminal:

cd /opt/seamonkey
and

./seamonkey
We are trying to start Seamonkey from the terminal - does it work?

edit - It should.
Last edited by anikin on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 08:23, edited 2 times in total.

bruno

#65 Post by bruno »

I did all that, and then he sais: ./seamonkey: No such file or directory

bruno

#66 Post by bruno »

when I do that in /opt, he says: seamonkey is a directory haha
so i open that, and there is Seamonkey, I just click on it and... poof, there is Seamonkey 2.46
:D

bruno

#67 Post by bruno »

Thanks anikin!
Now i have a working and updating Seamonkey in Upup Raring :D
I can open it through ./opt, but maybe I can make a shortcut or access it through the menu? Because the menu entrance now for Seamonkey are dead links to the old version.

anikin

#68 Post by anikin »

Glad you did it, now have a look here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 274#936274
and here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 280#936280
to complete the whole process - it is really easy.

anikin

#69 Post by anikin »

bruno,

It didn't work for you, because one little step had been left out in my post: change to the seamonkey directory. I edited it to read:

cd /opt/seamonkey
and then

./seamonkey

bruno

#70 Post by bruno »

Yes you are right, I had first change to ./opt

Can I now just leave it like it is?
And always start it from ./opt/seamonkey and click on the Seamonkey with the gearwheel icon?
Because I'm afraid if I start to copy things and move files around, I will mess it up and then I have to start all over again. :cry:

anikin

#71 Post by anikin »

Of course, you can leave it that way, but that will be an unfinished job. All that's needed now is to copy 3 little files to your Puppy and you will not even touch your /opt/seamonkey directory.

1) Download this <sm.tar.gz> archive
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 274#936274
- it's a file structure with those 3 little files. Right-click on it and remove the fake .gz extention, so that it becomes sm.tar (We can't post archive files here on this forum, that's why this fake .gz). Now unpack the archive: In a Rox window where you saved <sm.tar.gz> right-click > menu > window > terminal here and run

tar xvf sm.tar
you will see something like this

root@debian:/tmp# tar xvf sm.tar
seamonkey_2.40/
seamonkey_2.40/usr/
seamonkey_2.40/usr/bin/
seamonkey_2.40/usr/bin/seamonkey
seamonkey_2.40/usr/share/
seamonkey_2.40/usr/share/applications/
seamonkey_2.40/usr/share/applications/seamonkey-mozillabinaries.desktop
seamonkey_2.40/usr/share/pixmaps/
seamonkey_2.40/usr/share/pixmaps/seamonkey-mozillabinaries.xpm
seamonkey_2.40/opt/
seamonkey_2.40/opt/seamonkey/
root@debian:/tmp# 
2) Open the unpacked seamonkey_2.40 directory, go to /usr/bin, there's a file there (a symlink) - copy it to /usr/bin in your Puppy.

3) Go to /usr/share/applications and copy <seamonkey-mozillabinaries.desktop> file to /usr/share/applications in your Puppy.

4) Go to /usr/share/pixmaps and copy <seamonkey-mozillabinaries.xpm> to /usr/share/pixmaps in your Puppy.

Now for the sake of convenience, let's create a desktop icon: go to /usr/share/applications and drag/copy the <seamonkey-mozillabinaries.desktop> file to the desktop. Right-click on it, select edit and delete that long and ugly name, or edit it to your taste - and that's it. You can now start Seamonkey by clicking on a nice looking desktop icon.

slavvo67

#72 Post by slavvo67 »

Anikin:

I hope this works for RU Xerus64, as well. Been trying to update Seamonkey for the next release.

Slavvo67

Jody Thornton

#73 Post by Jody Thornton »

If I'm posting this in the wrong forum, let me know. :)

Can anyone tell me why after upgrading to SeaMonkey v2.46, I can no longer use the system UI font for menus and and dialog boxes? I was using a Helvetica font, but not it uses a plain Sans Serif font. I can't change it to Helvetica.

Meanwhile, all other applications, including the new Pale Moon I installed, use Helvetica as the system UI font.

Any help would be tremendous.
:)
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

bruno

#74 Post by bruno »

Wow thanks Anikin, I did all those things, and now I have a working and updating Seamonkey, and a link on the desktop, and I didn't crash and burn the Puppy. :P
Sorry that I waited a few days, but i had to collect all my courage :D

anikin

#75 Post by anikin »

You are welcome, bruno. I'm glad you followed through the whole process.

anikin

#76 Post by anikin »

Jody Thornton wrote:I can't change it to Helvetica
Where exactly and what settings are you trying to change? As a matter of fact, Helvetica IS a (plain) Sans Serif font - it doesn't have a Serif variant.

Jody Thornton

#77 Post by Jody Thornton »

anikin wrote:
Jody Thornton wrote:I can't change it to Helvetica
Where exactly and what settings are you trying to change? As a matter of fact, Helvetica IS a (plain) Sans Serif font - it doesn't have a Serif variant.
Well I have made Helvetica Bold 9-pt a system font a long long time ago. All applications (up until recently - including SeaMonkey) used the font for menus and titlebars, etc... When I upgraded SeaMonkey it went to a bolded sans serif font. I used the "global UI font code" in userChrome.css to specify a smaller font size, so it reads fine now. But it's not the system font. I'll grab a screen capture to show you.
:)
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

michel804

Sfs seamonkey file

#78 Post by michel804 »

watchdog wrote:I think it's useful to give this pet for the guys who are still using wary or puppy 4.3x. I have tested it in wary 5.3 but it should work in all such old puppies. It needs only dbus and dbus-glib: in wary you can install them by PPM. In puppy 4.31 there are in this forum suitable dbus and dbus-glib from old debian. The reason because I made this pet is to help some forum's users after a manual test. See for example:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 099#745099

This browser is updateable but it remains shown in menu as seamonkey2.23. Be careful making backup before testing. Enjoy.

Seamonkey 2.23:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

EDIT:

Newly packaged seamonkey version 2.25 (with flashplayer) not yet tested. Report your testing after backup your savefile. Download from:

https://copy.com/rdey9jlZWzIU
Hi,
Is there an sfs file for slacko64?
Thanks
Michel

watchdog

#79 Post by watchdog »

What slacko are you using? This is a very old seamonkey...

LATER: got it! You are using slacko64 6.3.2. I think you can run the latest seamonkey in it but seamonkey is not my current browser and so I would need some time to test it. If anyone is using seamonkey it would be appreciated if he gets in this thread or another thread to help.

mikeslr

Seamonkey --neither Pet nor SFS required

#80 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Seamonkey can be run from a folder. For 32-bit* follow the link at the bottom of this page for the old version you want. https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/ Download the Linux version (far-right) in the language of your choice. Decompress the tar.bz. I used UExtract which resulted in a folder within named just seamonkey. I run seamonkey from /mnt/home so moved it there. But if you prefer you can you could move it to /opt (or anywhere else).

The attached pet will create a menu entry. Other than /usr/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop, the other 2 files are in /root/my-applications/bin. You can substitute any "png" icon for the one included. Just name it seamonkey. Open the bash script in geany/text editor. It now reads:

#!/bin/sh
exec /mnt/home/seamonkey/seamonkey "$@"

Change the path to that where you've located the seamonkey folder, e.g.

#!/bin/sh
exec /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey "$@"

Mozilla does not include flashplayer in its seamonkey package. After you've set up seamonkey, open a web-browser to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/. Step 1: Select Linux 32-bit. Step 2: Select the tar.gz NPAPI package. Download and unpack. Within the unpacked folder you'll find a file named libflashplayer.so. Move it into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder. Restart-X. The rest of the package can be discarded/

The newest versions of seamonkey may require gtk3. The link to Mike Walsh's pet is here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 764#989764. Disregard the "precise" label. It functions in any 32-bit Puppy which doesn't already include the gtk3 libraries.

Theoretically, seamonkey versions thru 40 should be able to make use of "pre-firefox-quantum" addons. But, I had a problem with version 40 so reverted to 39. Could have been just me/my computer.

mikesLr

* I couldn't find a 64-bit Seamonkey built by mozilla, but kind-of recalled that the Fatdog team may have produced one.
Attachments
seamonkey_external-.9.pet
Seamonkey Menu Pet -- read post on how to edit it to Seamonkey' location.
(165.56 KiB) Downloaded 178 times