Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Oct 2014, 14:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
usb-creator-gtk analog in puppy
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
kamatozrost

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec 2013, 08:12    Post subject:  usb-creator-gtk analog in puppy
Subject description: Tool to easy write iso images on usb drives

The question is in topic. I need a software, that can operate like usb-creator-gtk in ubuntu in writing an iso image to usb drive.
Due to my small experience in linux administration it is better if this tool'll be with gui, but a command line soft is also welcome.
josejp2424

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec 2013, 08:46    Post subject: unetbootin
Subject description: unetbootin

you could try unetbotin

test, precise.
https://www.wuala.com/josejp2424/puppy-es/programas/sistema/unetbootin-585.pet
kamatozrost

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec 2013, 03:30    Post subject: Re: unetbootin
Subject description: unetbootin

josejp2424 wrote:
you could try unetbotin

test, precise.
https://www.wuala.com/josejp2424/puppy-es/programas/sistema/unetbootin-585.pet

Thank you four advice, the program runs ok. But it was unable to identify my ondiskmodule (mounted as /dev/sda1) to write an image on it. I can use only '/' filesystem. How can ifix this problem?
peterw

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec 2013, 16:44    Post subject: Making bootable usb sticks
Subject description: Options for making a bootable usb stick

Hi

I can remember that UnetBootin did work in Puppy at one point some years ago, but it has not for me since. I get the same problem as you and have never resolved it. However, there are other options:

Under the install process you can run the Puppy USB installer and this works very well for the particular Puppy version, but it is not a general installer allowing you to install Linux distro’s such as Ubuntu.

As alternatives. If you click on a distro’s iso (mount it) you get one of two sets of files:
1. As in for example Puppy Slacko you get: intrd.gz, vmlinuz, etc.
2. Or as for example Clonzilla you get: EFI, EFI.imgs, isolinux, etc.

If you have an iso as in 1 above, then using gparted you can prepare your usb by formatting it to any file system you like such as E2, E3, E4 and set the flag to make it bootable. You can then just copy all the iso files intrd.gz, etc to it. You then need a boot loader and under System Puppy there is GrubforDos. Launch it and click your usb stick device. It will probably have the name sdb if you only have one usb device, and it also gives information about the device that helps. Also click “Search within only this device". Click OK and install the boot loader. Don’t worry about the reference to the Windows system. Exit the programme and you have yourself a bootable usb stick. AND don’t forget to unmount the iso file by clicking on it again.

If you have iso files as in 2 above then its most probably a hybrid iso which can be installed to the usb with unetbootin or usb creator. OR it can be installed to the usb stick using the dd command. This is what I often use when in Puppy. The advantages of using unetbootin is that apparently you can get persistence (this means it can be set to remember WPA setting, keyboard, etc.) I have never needed this. The advantage of the dd method is that the usb will boot on a Windows 8 PC with uefi and older bios systems presuming its got a key such as Ubuntu and our Fatdog has. With unetbootin it can’t unless you switch to legacy mode in the “uefi bios”. Unfortunately, the dd method involves an instruction line in the terminal. And it will wipe out anything that you have on the usb so make sure you have copied anything you want to keep.

dd if=/route/to/your/iso of=/dev/sdx bs=512

Example of /route/to/your/iso is /mntsdb1/isos/clonezilla-live-2.1.2-20-i486.iso since my isos are on an external usb drive.
And x is the usb drive reference on your screen. Note we do not include the 1. We only type sdc not sdc1 for example.
I understand that bs=512 is code that speeds up the process. Sometimes instructions use bigger values but it appears to be entirely optional.

The process does not give any indication of how far it has got. It can take a while to write to the whole usb stick, especially if you have a big one.

It is very important to get the usb stick reference right. Check and recheck that the icon on the window is indeed the correct device. dd will carry out its instructions without question even if that is to wipe you hard drive!

And don’t forget to unmount your iso file again.

Hope this helps

peterw
don570

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013, 19:51    Post subject:  

Barry Kauler has written two scripts for Quirky 6
that apparently can be used to install any Linux distro,
but he hasn't tested the scripts on anything
other than Quirky 6 and I haven't either Crying or Very sad

The scripts would probably need quite a lot of modifications.

http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00024
peterw

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013, 05:43    Post subject:  

Hi don570

Yes, Barry's scripts have the potential to be developed into an excellent usb or partition installers for any distro and be a very good tool in Puppy or Quirky's basket. I have tried the usb tool and can confirm that it works well for Quirky. I have a look at the scripts and, as you say, they would need much modification to be generally usable: they are targeted at "img" files. Whilst I can read the basic intention of the script, changing it and enhancing it is beyond my capabilities. Perhaps it would make a good project for someone.

Regards
peterw

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013, 06:34    Post subject: installing distros to usb stick or partition
Subject description: references to a solution

Hi

Have spotted a set of solutions to the request.
http://www.extix.se/
gives reference to scripts to do what is wanted and good instructions on how to do it.

peterw
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
Jump to: