usb-creator-gtk analog in puppy

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
kamatozrost

usb-creator-gtk analog in puppy

#1 Post by kamatozrost »

The question is in topic. I need a software, that can operate like usb-creator-gtk in ubuntu in writing an iso image to usb drive.
Due to my small experience in linux administration it is better if this tool'll be with gui, but a command line soft is also welcome.

josejp2424

unetbootin

#2 Post by josejp2424 »

you could try unetbotin

test, precise.
https://www.wuala.com/josejp2424/puppy- ... in-585.pet

kamatozrost

Re: unetbootin

#3 Post by kamatozrost »

josejp2424 wrote:you could try unetbotin

test, precise.
https://www.wuala.com/josejp2424/puppy- ... in-585.pet
Thank you four advice, the program runs ok. But it was unable to identify my ondiskmodule (mounted as /dev/sda1) to write an image on it. I can use only '/' filesystem. How can ifix this problem?

peterw

Making bootable usb sticks

#4 Post by peterw »

Hi

I can remember that UnetBootin did work in Puppy at one point some years ago, but it has not for me since. I get the same problem as you and have never resolved it. However, there are other options:

Under the install process you can run the Puppy USB installer and this works very well for the particular Puppy version, but it is not a general installer allowing you to install Linux distro’s such as Ubuntu.

As alternatives. If you click on a distro’s iso (mount it) you get one of two sets of files:
1. As in for example Puppy Slacko you get: intrd.gz, vmlinuz, etc.
2. Or as for example Clonzilla you get: EFI, EFI.imgs, isolinux, etc.

If you have an iso as in 1 above, then using gparted you can prepare your usb by formatting it to any file system you like such as E2, E3, E4 and set the flag to make it bootable. You can then just copy all the iso files intrd.gz, etc to it. You then need a boot loader and under System Puppy there is GrubforDos. Launch it and click your usb stick device. It will probably have the name sdb if you only have one usb device, and it also gives information about the device that helps. Also click “Search within only this device". Click OK and install the boot loader. Don’t worry about the reference to the Windows system. Exit the programme and you have yourself a bootable usb stick. AND don’t forget to unmount the iso file by clicking on it again.

If you have iso files as in 2 above then its most probably a hybrid iso which can be installed to the usb with unetbootin or usb creator. OR it can be installed to the usb stick using the dd command. This is what I often use when in Puppy. The advantages of using unetbootin is that apparently you can get persistence (this means it can be set to remember WPA setting, keyboard, etc.) I have never needed this. The advantage of the dd method is that the usb will boot on a Windows 8 PC with uefi and older bios systems presuming its got a key such as Ubuntu and our Fatdog has. With unetbootin it can’t unless you switch to legacy mode in the “uefi bios

don570

#5 Post by don570 »

Barry Kauler has written two scripts for Quirky 6
that apparently can be used to install any Linux distro,
but he hasn't tested the scripts on anything
other than Quirky 6 and I haven't either :cry:

The scripts would probably need quite a lot of modifications.

http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00024

peterw

#6 Post by peterw »

Hi don570

Yes, Barry's scripts have the potential to be developed into an excellent usb or partition installers for any distro and be a very good tool in Puppy or Quirky's basket. I have tried the usb tool and can confirm that it works well for Quirky. I have a look at the scripts and, as you say, they would need much modification to be generally usable: they are targeted at "img" files. Whilst I can read the basic intention of the script, changing it and enhancing it is beyond my capabilities. Perhaps it would make a good project for someone.

Regards

peterw

installing distros to usb stick or partition

#7 Post by peterw »

Hi

Have spotted a set of solutions to the request.
http://www.extix.se/
gives reference to scripts to do what is wanted and good instructions on how to do it.

peterw