New mplayer problem /dev/rtc?

Using applications, configuring, problems
fitzhugh

New mplayer problem /dev/rtc?

#1 Post by fitzhugh »

Hi... mplayer was working great, but I've been partitioning my drive and moving things around... surgically removing puppy from the original windows partition and moving him into an ext3 partition, as well as moving my documents to a seperate partition. That is the major change I can think of...

Now, mplayer runs ok, but gmplayer doesn't start fully. I get a black sillouette of the control window and in the xterm window I started it from I get
Failed to open /dev/rtc: Device or resource busy (it should be readable by the user.)

[edit - mplayer is not working, same problem as gmplayer, though I think it was before just now?? ack. makes more sense for it not to work than for one to work while the other does not since it is a timing thing, not a gui thing]

I looked up /dev/rtc and read how it is the real time clock device and the mplayerhq docs on the topic:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/rtc.html
I tried what was suggested but with no luck.
Suggestions?

fitzhugh

More details...

#2 Post by fitzhugh »

Ok, it DOES work if I click on a file to open it. It only happens when started from command line, which I like to be able to do. No answer on the mplayer site docs :(

I was confused because it will NOT play real audio files, which I am trying to do. I want to be able to listen to NPR streams. So, any suggestions how to do that? I've not been able to get it to work at all for real audio, streams or saved files. gxine did work, but I have issues with gxine... if I kill it I get a moment of maximum volume of whatever is playing right as it closes; like a petulant child pissed about being told to shut up, it screams! It does close, but only after making me jump and waking Abi, my wolfhound. She gets a rather cute irked look but I'd prefer to let her sleep.

Kal

Gxine player

#3 Post by Kal »

I am somewhat hesitant to post this. The problem with the sound blasting in Puppy's version of Gxine is fixable with an upgrade to xine-lib-1.1.1 and gxine-0.4.9.

Until the newest Mplayer came out in my opinion, they were beating out on sound, off the internet. They are now a tie. Draw back is you have to compile them, no one has made a dotpup for them, and I am not qualified.

On Mplayer I use Kplayer as the gui and have of course, KDE 3.5.3 install from KDE slackware contrib. I am at the time, running Puppy 2.01 with a coexist install. Size of the used personal storage is 566mb, memory is 512mb and a one gig swap partition.

With an AMD XP 3000+ compiling is no big thing to me, but a few minutes. Not so with a lesser machine. under a gig. If interested in the gxine and xine, let me know and check out this post thread.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9108

Good Luck, Kal
Last edited by Kal on Thu 06 Jul 2006, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.

fitzhugh

#4 Post by fitzhugh »

Thanks, I'll check that out. I have just a one G PIII but don't mind compiling. I've not have trouble, though not done it many times... not true, did have unknown problems a few times at first. I'll have to read the thread about the configfix.pup (or whatever the name is) to see how that relates. Running 2.01.
Going to try Mark's magapup with KDE anyhow, so I'll also check out kplayer gui. Not thrilled with the default skins fo mplayer, though I really don't like xgine's look - that alone kept me from trying too hard when it didn't work well. Have not compared output at all since my computer speakers are as weak as can be - little empty plastic cases that sound like tin cans. Worse, the amp built into them picks up LOTS of noise... can 'hear' what my computer is doing :P

Why were you hessitant to post that? Not sure what you meant by that. If you meant it was too obvious or something then never fear - the obvious often is sitting right in front of me unnoticed for days on end :)

I appreciate the help, thanks,
Fitzhugh

Kal

gxine

#5 Post by Kal »

Most folks run for the hills, if you say the word "compile" and maybe for good reason, if they have under a gig of cpu speed. If they hit a problem while compiling, all that time may be lost.

Gxine(xine) nor Kplayer(mplayer) are not pretty, but they are user friendly. If you go, the KDE route, Kaffeine is another frontend for xine. Xine has a gui too, that I have liked. I never liked Mplayer's own gui, but I am sure some love it. I usually compile Mplayer without the gui, just seem to run a little better, than pre-packaged on my machine, maybe just a dream.

Gxine-0.4.9 and xine-lib-1.1.1 have never given us problems. We generally don't get to fancy on the options (./configure --help), the defaults, work out pretty well. Xine does, in terminal require a "./configure --prefix=/usr/X11R6" at a minium, because of the location of Puppy's files. Gxine is a simple: "./configure", "make", "make install". Cleaning is "make clean" and "make distclean", if you have to try it again. There should be no missing libraries. If you place devx_201.sfs next to your pup_save.3fs, it is auto installed on a reboot. A quick check is to look in your /usr/ folder for "i486-slackware-linux" folder. if it's there, your good. Be aware of your free space, the little monitor in the tray is ok. Get rid of anything you are not using, if it seems to be running too low. After untarring the downloads you can store them away to save space. I know these instruction are not the best, so if you have any problems, please ask, and we will try to clear it up. This is novice level stuff, we learn by doing.

I have not had to enlarge the pup_save. 3fs for these apps to be compiled, but some may.

Good Luck, Kal