kost@s

#18 Post by kost@s »

kost@s

#19 Post by kost@s »

starhawk

Re: Reported "Memory Corruption" under Vanguard on Dell E6400

#20 Post by starhawk »

mikeslr wrote:Hi kost@s & All,

As I reported here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 655#824655 , we finally have a Pup which is fully functional on a Toshiba Satellite L775. Carolina-Vanguard was run from a USB-Key. Because of its ability to use google-chrome-cast extensions, I had hoped to be able to run Chromium under Carolina-vanguard on the Toshiba. I haven't gotten that far yet.

As I explained, the Toshiba is my wife's computer. I try to minimize as much as possible any risks. Consequently, I customize and tested the Carolina-vanguard Pup on the USB-Key while it's plugged into my Dell Latitude E6400. Later, after plugging the key into the Toshiba, all I usually have to do is re-establish wifi connections.

As far as I know, the Chromiums you've built are the only ones which function under Carolina 1.3 (with upgraded glibc) and Carolina-Vanguard. I've successfully run versions 37, 39 and 40 from both on my desktop.

When, however, I tried to run any of these under Carolina-Vanguard on the Dell E6400, it wouldn't start. Attempting to start any via terminal command generates the following report:

*** Error in `/usr/lib/chromium/chromium --user-data-dir --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/chromium/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=16.0.0.291': malloc(): memory corruption: 0xb7aa5ce0 ***

I've attempted the following: Fresh install; fresh install with only Chromium added; copy of "successful" SaveFile from Desktop to USB-Key; copy of "successful" SaveFile to the Dell E6400's hard drive.

If it matters, I have LxPupTahr, TahrPup and OB-precise on the Dell and can run some version of Chromium from them.

Any ideas?

mikesLr
I realize this is an old post -- but I know exactly what the problem is. peebee, and kost@s as well (I think) do not actually compile Chromium from source -- they're using packages from a Slackware fellow named alienbob ('alien' for short). The problem with these packages is that they only really work in Vanguard if you're running an AMD CPU. With Intel's stuff you're basically SOL -- right now, in Puppyland, nobody is compiling Chromium from source AFAIK.

Real Google Chrome runs with the --disable-setuid-sandbox flag -- but it also puts up a little tan whine bar at the top of the page when you open it, complaining about the flag. Easily dismissed, but I'm easily annoyed I guess.

For what (presumably little) it's worth, I contacted alienbob by email and he was abrasive, abrupt, snippy, rude, and phenomenally holier-than-thou -- and I'm pretty sure I'm leaving out a few relevant adjectives, at that! (He must be real fun at parties.) Needless to say, his packages are absolutely perfect and should only be used with Slackware and... ugh, what a guy :roll: Makes me glad I'm not running *that* distro...

kost@s

#21 Post by kost@s »

hello starhawk

The only difference from the original package (chromium slackware-14.1) it is /usr/bin/chromium.sh
the chromium i have test to my netbook (acer aspire One D250 KAV60) and my desktop amd 4200+ and works well.

now how to help you? (if i can help) I dont know what puppy distro linux you use, what the linux-kernel, what is your cpu name?

ETP

Chrome

#22 Post by ETP »

@starhawk
Real Google Chrome runs with the --disable-setuid-sandbox flag -- but it also puts up a little tan whine bar at the top of the page when you open it, complaining about the flag. Easily dismissed, but I'm easily annoyed I guess.

Had that issue when working on Chromebook Pup. Google call it an "infobar" :lol: :roll:
Fix is as follows:

Code: Select all

--disable-setuid-sandbox --disable-infobars
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

starhawk

#23 Post by starhawk »

ETP, thanks! I call it a 'b*tch bar' because it's Chrome b*tching at me when it shouldn't!

kost@s -- the problem is the source material. I tracked down the original TXZ packages from where you get them -- same problem.

I have tried it on four systems. This is in the current (RC2) version of Carolina Vanguard, which is my Pup of choice.

My desktop...
HP t610 Plus "Flexible Thin Client" (really a low power desktop) -- AMD G-Series G-T56N CPU, 4gb RAM, 256gb SSD. Integrated graphics and audio.

My mother's desktop...
Upgraded Compaq Presiario SR2173WM -- AMD Athlon 64 5000+, 3gb RAM, 200gb (?) HDD. Integrated audio. I don't remember what graphics card it wound up with (had some adventures there) but it's an ATi/AMD something.

My Dell laptop (actually a gift from a friend)...
Dell Latitude E4310 -- Intel i5-540M, 4gb RAM, no HDD at the moment. Integrated graphics and audio.

My beloved netbook...
ASUS EeePC 1000HE -- Intel Atom N270 CPU, 2gb RAM, 32gb SSD. Integrated graphics and audio.

The two desktops (both AMD systems) run Chromium fine -- yours or peebee's. (peebee gets his the same place you do -- you're actually duplicating your efforts.) Well, OK, it complains a little bit in Terminal about some garbage BS junk, but it does start and run. However, on ANY Intel-based system that I can get to (the laptop and netbook) -- bang, boom, pow, no-go. It bombs out, usually with a malloc() memory corruption error.

On TahrPup 6.0.2, it works (glibc 2.19). On X-Slacko 2.2, it, well, sort of works... the glibc is a little old (2.15). On X-Slacko 3b7, it does not work (glibc 2.17). On Carolina Vanguard, it does not work (glibc 2.20).

I am no programmer. I don't know why it doesn't work, beyond what I've told you. I just know what I've told you.

I do have a copy of the terminal output from one of peebee's packages, basically identical here. I seem to recall that it's Chromium 37... if that's any help I'll gladly post it.

kost@s

#24 Post by kost@s »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 932#843932

ok upgrade my post, upload chromium-37.0.2062.94 & 43.0.2357.65

kost@s

#25 Post by kost@s »

hanzf

#26 Post by hanzf »

I just downloaded and installed it. Runs only with --disable-setuid-sandbox option. Chromium says this option affects security and stability. Can I do anything about that?
Precise 5.7.1 frugal with .2fs
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1000 MB RAM

starhawk

#27 Post by starhawk »

peebee provides more up-to-date packages of this browser...

Also, what Pup are you running, and on what hardware...? That is likely to be at the root of this.

hanzf

#28 Post by hanzf »

Hello starhawk,

I'm using chromium-43.0.2357.132.sfs from where this thread started, and I also installed the above mentioned lib6+libstdc6-4.9.2.pet.
What do you need to know about my hardware, apart from what my signature says?

yours, Hans
Precise 5.7.1 frugal with .2fs
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1000 MB RAM