How to use 3G wireless dongles in Puppy?

Fabio T

Option GTM382

#16 Post by Fabio T »

I've a Sony Laptop equipped with an embedded OPTION GTM382 3G card.

It works up to 3.4 Kernel Version, after that none Puppy flavor can recognize it.

lsusb at command lline says (to 3.4 Kernel)

bus 001 device 005: ID 0afo:7601 Option Globetrotter

Kernel above this (from 3.6 to actual) cannot see any Option device with lsusb command.

Last Kernel that works fine with this laptop is 3.2.29.

I would use Puppy 64 bit new kernels on this laptop for higher operative speed but only fatdog 610 I've tested has really working 3G.

On Internete forums it seems that option.ko and usbserial.ko driver don't recognize hardware wireless switch state (it is in front of keyboard).

This empasse do not exists on different Option 3g model card ) e.g. GTM378

Any idea?

Thanx4all

Fabio

davelectronic

3G wireless dongles

#17 Post by davelectronic »

Hello again after a long time now, with the passage of time i have found a compatible dongle for 3G with Puppy Linux using the latest Tahr pup. My daughter gave me a dongle she no longer needed a Huawei hyper link dongle, this worked with the simple network connection LAN option, only as it connects automatically when plugged in to usb, on other distros it auto starts and lets me get online with Puppy, still no luck with the ZTE models though, just a heads up on this auto connect feature that works with Puppy, i did see a mention of it earlier in this thread, but had not come across this dongle unil my daughter no longer needed it, in addition this auto connect model has given me speeds up to 6.5Mbs speeds, twice as fast as the ZTE models i have used, anyway Happy new year to you all here on the forum :wink:Image

PS tonights test in the UK using the above dongle