Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 30 Aug 2014, 16:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to uninstall WINE .pet?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Raj

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:37    Post_subject:    

Recently I'd installed Wine. Wine & POL are same. In wine you have just to install the .pet. The .pet is available through latest quickpet. While installing Wine, it will ask you for Gecko & if you have internet connection activated, it will be installed automatically (just click on install). As a common man, you can use Wine then, without knowing any editing etc. I installed it & used Minitab14 -- worked perfectly.

And Gecko is nothing but the Wine I.E. (picture given).

The thing that I do not know & ask help for, is how to uninstall Wine. The ususal process should be uninstall any .exe etc first & then uninstall Wine, but it did not work, though system confirmed it. How can it be done?

The other thing is installing Tally6.3 (or other version). How it can be done? I know there are a huge linux alternative of Tally, but specifically I need this software only.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks,
Raj
davids45

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec 2013, 18:28    Post_subject: Manual deletion of installed files  

G'day Raj,

The wine.pet should have created a file in /root/.packages/ listing all its files and where they were installed.

Open as text this file in /root/.packages/ with Rox, and in another Rox window, delete all the files listed by the wine pet from the locations indicated. Quite a few are directories with just wine files so it does not take much time when these can be deleted as directories.

Finally, close and delete the wine file in .packages.

David S.
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jan 2014, 23:09    Post_subject:  

Puppy Package Manager should have it listed in installed packages.
Should be able to uninstall Wine from there.

Dewbie

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2014, 02:17    Post_subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Quote:
Puppy Package Manager should have it listed in installed packages.
Should be able to uninstall Wine from there.

It's pretty common to find Wine artifacts even after uninstalling with PPM.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2014, 22:32    Post_subject: Tally Accounting Software under Wine or Play-on-Linux  

Hi Raj,

Wine is not Windows. Not everything which runs under Windows will work run Wine. Think of it as an automatic translation program --like Google-Translate-- translating something written in Windows to something written in Linux. Sometimes it works fine. Sometimes what comes out is “garbage.” That's the term the Wine Organization uses for windows programs which don't work under wine. That's the term it applied to Tally7.22, the closest version of Tally6.3 they tested. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4722 .
The only version of Tally which received a “Silver” rating was Tally.ERP 9 running under either Ubuntu Precise or Ubuntu Hardy. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bShowAll=true&bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=version&sTitle=&sReturnTo=&iId=18517.

With the exception of XP portable applications, when your Puppy is a Full Install I would never recommend any windows application which hasn't received at least a Gold or Platinum rating from the Wine Organization. Use their search box, and read every relevant post carefully. Try “Silver” ratings at your own risk. If you break a Full Install, you're only option is a complete re-install.
As a general rule, with a Full Install it is still safe to try portable XP applications. That's because –designed to be installed to a USB-Key-- they do not write to Wine's equivalent of Window's Registry. When you run their setup.exe, you merely direct them to install to a folder on your hard-drive. If they don't work, you merely delete the folder. No harm done. I could find no portable versions of Tally. I assume you want Tally because it handles VAT. You might want to look into other accounting software, and –if you already have data stored by Tally-- applications for transferring such data. Again as a general rule, applications created to run under Linux present less problems under Linux than running Windows applications under Wine.
You might also want to consider that even when an application receives a Platinum rating when run under Ubuntu, that does not mean it will run at all under Puppy Linux, even a Puppy Linux built from Ubuntu binaries such as any of the Precise Puppies.
All versions of Puppy Linux are designed to provide a free operating system for most computers, together with applications which most users commonly will want. But they are also designed to efficiently use a computers resources by eliminating much of the “bloat” major distributions consider essential to compete with Windows in providing users with “eye-candy” and “ease of use.” Also eliminated, however, is the feature-rich, complex package management system provided by those major distributions. That package management system keeps track not only of the applications installed, but each component of those applications so that when you desire to install another application it can access its records on your computer to determine which components you will need to run that application. Puppy Package Manager, PPM, does a good, but not perfect job. So, for example, if you are running Precise Puppy –which is a Puppy built using Ubuntu Precise Pangolin binaries-- you can download and install applications from Ubuntu's Precise repositories and, in doing so, may be alerted that you will also have to download some “dependencies.” But PPM may not have identified all dependencies and, in particular, will not have identified components which Ubuntu Precise Pangolin built into its base system and which each of its applications will have assumed to be present.
Consequently, if it is essential that you be able to run Accounting Software and such software is offered for Ubuntu Precise Pangolin [or Ubuntu Raring Ringtail] installing it into a Precise Puppy [or Upup raring] may not be sufficient to get it to run. If you diligent and lucky, you may be able to track down and install every component needed to run it. But in doing so, you may have built within your Puppy Linux almost the entire base Ubuntu system.
You may want to try jejy69's LxPup apt-get-test, http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkmatelxde/files/Lxpup_Test_Aptget/
which includes synaptic the package management system used by Ubuntu. Running it, I was able to download, install and run applications which I could not run in other Puppy versions of Precise. However, by now Ubuntu has gone thru four major revisions and the availability of software formerly in its Precise Pangolin repositories is questionable.
If all else fails, try Zorin or Pinguy, which are true Ubuntu derivatives, designed for windows refugees, and containing OOTB hardware drivers Ubuntu doesn't, itself, include. They use Ubuntu's package manager and provide access to Ubuntu's current repositories. The downside of these distributions is that they will require an installation which uses, or creates, at least three partitions rather than Puppy's Full Install on one. You can, if you want, frugally install Puppy to any of the partitions Zorin or Pinguy need, and dual boot: use Puppy for your general needs and the other for your special needs.

mikesLr

Caution: Before trying to install Windows Applications, make a backup copy of the installation disk, and use that backup disk. Sometimes, to avoid piracy, the manufacturer configures the disk to only allow a certain number of installations. Failed installations count. Installations to wine count.
Raj

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jan 2014, 14:54    Post_subject:  

Thanks a lot Mike, for your detailed writing.

Yes, I need this software because I have had to work with it & it's the only software used in my circle, in terms of accounting.

Also, I'm in love with this distro -- Puppy 5.7.1. I am till a newcomer to this distro & truly I often search in the dark for some helps while using it, but my overall experience is satisfactory. It also has some features which are very handy. And my burner always work efficiently with the Peasydisk (except K3b, it's the only one which can do it).

Yes, I also agree with you that every software/OS has its own pros & cons -- per its philosophy.

So, I am following a middle way -- using dual booting with Windows (& a full installation of Puppy).

Thanks again,
Raj
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum