Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Apr 2014, 05:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
KingSoft Office
Page 1 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
TLM

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2014, 22:02    Post subject:  KingSoft Office  

Just got the latest Kingsoft Office .deb file and it is working great! One small download issue:

1: I tried to save the .deb file 3 times and the download failed, however when I let petget install it, I was able to retrieve the .deb file from my /tmp folder (make sure you copy it out of there before you acknowledge the completion of the installation,otherwise it gets automatically deleted) Download the .deb file here:http://wps-community.org/download.html

So far its working really great on my system. Attached is a screenshot of it running in Precise 5.6. [/img]
KingSoft_Writer.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  KingSoft_Writer.png 
Filesize  86.63 KB 
Downloaded  196 Time(s) 
musher0

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 10:46    Post subject:  

Hello, TLM!

Many thanks for this info. You are really on the button: the date of these *.deb and
*.rpm files is today!

So far all 3 modules (writer, spreadsheets and presentation) are running really great
as well on my upupRaring-3.992.

First impression: woooh! How far this is from abiword, isn't ? Very Happy

If interested, tell me, I can make your package available on limelinks.com as a
Kingsoft sfs file (178 Mb), so it won't eat up any space in the Puppy personal save
(pupsave) file. As well, since an sfs add-on is perfectly adapted to PuppyLinux, it
will solve the installation problem you reported initially.

BFN. (And Happy New Year!)

musher0

nmlkngdm

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 11:57    Post subject:  

Using a HP Pavilion Entertainment laptop
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5850 @ 2.16GHz

OVPrecise-retro 5.8

Upup Raring 3.9.9.2

@musher0
sfs file sounds like a good idea
musher0

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 12:00    Post subject:  

Here you go, people.

I uploaded the file at FileDropper, actually. limelinx.com seem to be down at present.

So, you can download the file < KingsoftOffice-9.1.0.4244~a12p3_i386.sfs > from:
http://www.filedropper.com/kingsoftoffice-9104244a12p3i386

Enjoy!

musher0

musher0

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 12:08    Post subject:  

PS to the above: as I understand it, FileDropper keeps files for 7 days on a free account.
So if someone knows of a more permanent file storage, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

musher0

nmlkngdm

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 19:20    Post subject:  

Thanks for the sfs file musher0
Last edited by nmlkngdm on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 10:31; edited 1 time in total
technosaurus

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 19:35    Post subject:  

Yet another proprietary Linux app that uses unnecessarily new versions of glibc and libstdc++. (Chrome and many others do too)

It would be a lot smaller if the 100+Mb of fonts were separate or the standard open source libs were separated.

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 20:06    Post subject:  

i'm hosting musher0's Kingston Office sfs and a pet made from it. (i also have the previous versions if anyone's interested. they work in Precise 5.5-5.7 and they're just as large).

KingsoftOffice-9.1.0.4244~a12p3_i386.pet 202MB

KingsoftOffice-9.1.0.4244~a12p3_i386.sfs 178MB
musher0

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 20:10    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
Yet another proprietary Linux app that uses unnecessarily new versions of glibc and libstdc++. (Chrome and many others do too)

It would be a lot smaller if the 100+Mb of fonts were separate or the standard open source libs were separated.

Hello, technosaurus.

Hm... interesting remark. I see approx. 30 Mb's of Qt 4.7.4 in the main folder and
162 Mb's of TTF fonts in /usr/share/fonts/wps-office. Ouch, that's 192 Mb's out of
472 (approx. 40 %).

I wonder if we can separate those Qt libs and fonts, or it they are etched into their
executables.

Then again, OpenOffice | LibreOffice editions provide their own fonts and libs. Is it
fair to hold that against KingSoft?

Sorry for the newbie question, but if one uses Qt, does one use glibc, etc. as well?
What filenames are we looking for?

If we can produce a smaller Puppy sfs for this package, all users will benefit.

Best regards.

musher0

musher0

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 20:12    Post subject:  

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
i'm hosting musher0's Kingston Office sfs and a pet made from it. (i also have the previous versions if anyone's interested. they work in Precise 5.5-5.7 and they're just as large).

KingsoftOffice-9.1.0.4244~a12p3_i386.pet 202MB

KingsoftOffice-9.1.0.4244~a12p3_i386.sfs 178MB

Many thanks, Dogfellow!

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 20:14    Post subject:  

you're very welcome, musher0!
musher0

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 21:03    Post subject:  

@technosaurus and all.

There are also 43 Mb's of templates in Mandarin, which obviously a Westerner would
have no use for, since templates for en_US are also provided. So we'd have a "slim
Western" package of KingSoftOffice 9.1.0 about half the original "weight" in Mb's.

We'd have to use a separate sfs or pet for Qt-4.7.4 or higher, of course (+/- 28 Mb's),
but still, overall, that's a sizeable difference for distributing a package.

I already removed the Chinese fonts, and all entities work. I'll test some more without
the above-mentioned components and see if it works.

BFN.

musher0

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 21:42    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:
@technosaurus and all.

There are also 43 Mb's of templates in Mandarin, which obviously a Westerner would
have no use for, since templates for en_US are also provided. So we'd have a "slim
Western" package of KingSoftOffice 9.1.0 about half the original "weight" in Mb's.

We'd have to use a separate sfs or pet for Qt-4.7.4 or higher, of course (+/- 28 Mb's),

I already removed the Chinese fonts, and all entities work. I'll test some more without

BFN.

musher0

cool.
Very Happy

regarding qt, on my installations, it seems it can break itself (and the some of the things dependent on it ) if it's installed when it or a version or itself is already installed. this is just an observation; i don't have the computer savvy to know what it means, just think that maybe keeping it separate's a pretty good idea for this type of reason. is that what you meant by the "of course," or is there something abnormal going on with my systems when i experience that type of problem? (fwiw, audio/studio programs seem most afflicted by this...). do the versions of qt overwrite themselves or pile up?

hope that's not too off topic.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 23:44    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:

Hello, technosaurus.

Hm... interesting remark. I see approx. 30 Mb's of Qt 4.7.4 in the main folder and
162 Mb's of TTF fonts in /usr/share/fonts/wps-office. Ouch, that's 192 Mb's out of
472 (approx. 40 %).

I wonder if we can separate those Qt libs and fonts, or it they are etched into their
executables.

Then again, OpenOffice | LibreOffice editions provide their own fonts and libs. Is it
fair to hold that against KingSoft?

Sorry for the newbie question, but if one uses Qt, does one use glibc, etc. as well?
What filenames are we looking for?

If we can produce a smaller Puppy sfs for this package, all users will benefit.

Best regards.

musher0

C++ mangles template (funcion) names when compiled, so sometime this makes versions or even different compiles of the same version incompatible
libstdc++ does depend on glibc but its unlikely to need a version greater than 2.6 - building against newer versions unnecessarily precludes its utility in older linux distros (redhat enterprize, many pups and other LTS versions)
... but to answer the main question just use ldd <binary/library>

Just because mozilla, open/libre office, chrome, webkit and other large projects use a crappy build process, doesn't make it better. Sometimes it is because they make incompatible changes to the original, but usually it is just to minimize dll-hell for "regular users"

Ideally each language, font, template, clipart collection or whatever should be an optional addon that can be added/removed in a "custom intall". Debian enforces this fairly strictly

musher0

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jan 2014, 03:18    Post subject:  

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
musher0 wrote:
@technosaurus and all.

BFN.

musher0

cool.
Very Happy

regarding qt, on my installations, it seems it can break itself (and the some of the things dependent on it ) if it's installed when it or a version or itself is already installed. this is just an observation; i don't have the computer savvy to know what it means, just think that maybe keeping it separate's a pretty good idea for this type of reason. is that what you meant by the "of course," or is there something abnormal going on with my systems when i experience that type of problem? (fwiw, audio/studio programs seem most afflicted by this...). do the versions of qt overwrite themselves or pile up?

hope that's not too off topic.

Hi, Puppus.

I don't think so. It's about ways to make a better sfs for the package in the title.

I have done a couple of tests, and it would seem that the Qt 4.7.4 libraries provided with
KingSoftOffice need to stay where they are. If I strip down the package and load Qt 4.8
sfs in parallel, the KingSoftOffice executables do not load, and I get "symbol x missing"
messages and the like.

Maybe it's just me (likely), or this Puppy (unlikely), or this machine (pardon me, old girl).
An expert (technosaurus ?) Wink would have to confirm this. I do not have the expertise
to detect if the KingSoft people have edited the Qt 4.7.4 libs for their suite of programs.

Anyway, at this point I have an 80 Mb sfs running ok, just by removing the Chinese
fonts and templates. (No offense intended to any Chinese person, I simply never use
those fonts and templates.)

BFN.

musher0

Page 1 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Jump to: