KingSoft Office

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
musher0

#31 Post by musher0 »

Hello, all.

I chanced upon a bug in KSO Spreadsheets. You cannot have the listing "- Automobile" in
KSO Spreadsheets! It says the name is undefined... Try it, you'll see!

Or is it just me? Maybe KSO doesn't like the make of my car? :P hehe.

But no problems in KSO's "Writer" yet.

BFN.

musher0
Attachments
KSO-Spreadsheet-Automobile.jpg
(28.5 KiB) Downloaded 1192 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

nmlkngdm

#32 Post by nmlkngdm »

i'm leaving mine up. you're not stealing business from them, just allowing more people the chance to use the free version of their software--you're helping them advertise, if anything...
I'll follow suit with Puppus Dogfellow. Thanks for the notice though musher0, and if I do get a notice to take it down, I have no problem taking it down even though it would be unfortunate. It's never the lastest version that they provide on wps-community.org - right now it's 4244 from them, then for windows it's 4480 for free version, and 4490 for professional version (maybe as long as they don't compile the latest versions, it doesn't breach any legalities?)

@keniv
You could try the lupusuper iso if you haven't done so already (precise kernel - 3.2.48 or above) and see if Kingsoft works on that, unless glibc and other libraries remain a constant throughout rerwin's builds (not an expert on glibc). There's nothing wrong with using Softmaker.
Last edited by nmlkngdm on Wed 08 Jan 2014, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

nmlkngdm

#33 Post by nmlkngdm »

musher0 wrote:I chanced upon a bug in KSO Spreadsheets. You cannot have the listing "- Automobile" in KSO Spreadsheets! It says the name is undefined...
Try using a single quote in front of "- Automobile" - e.g. type in '- Automobile (add that single quote in front, without it I believe Spreadsheets thinks you're using that cell for a formula or number)

musher0

#34 Post by musher0 »

nmlkngdm wrote:
musher0 wrote:I chanced upon a bug in KSO Spreadsheets. You cannot have the listing "- Automobile" in KSO Spreadsheets! It says the name is undefined...
Try using a single quote in front of "- Automobile" - e.g. type in '- Automobile (add that single quote in front, without it I believe Spreadsheets thinks you're using that cell for a formula or number)
Your trick works, thanks. However, I had a whole listing with a dash in front of them and the "- Automobile" entry was the only one singled out. Strange.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#35 Post by musher0 »

Also thanks, guys, for your input on the copyright issue.

@nmlkngdm: I hadn't thought that this is a "community" issue.
I guess we're in the clear because of that.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#36 Post by musher0 »

@keniv:

FYI, Médor, from the French side of the forum, has had success loading KSO in Lucid 528.

He opened the sfs, included the libstdc++ library from Precise in it, and then redid the sfs
without the xz compression (which ups the weight of the sfs to ~95 Mb).

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

nmlkngdm

#37 Post by nmlkngdm »

musher0 wrote:@nmlkngdm: I hadn't thought that this is a "community" issue. I guess we're in the clear because of that.
I hope you're right.
musher0 wrote:I had a whole listing with a dash in front of them and the "- Automobile" entry was the only one singled out. Strange.
Try different variations or if you're not too far into your file, try on a new spreadsheet.
' - Automobile (space in front of the hyphen/after the quote)
'-Automobile (no spaces)

musher0

#38 Post by musher0 »

@nmlkngdm

Thanks for the text formatting tips.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

NickAu

#39 Post by NickAu »

KingsoftOffice-9.1.0.4244~a12p3_i386.pet 202MB

Working on 5.7.1 Precise (fatty)
Installed to hdd

Thank You
[b]Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro Fatty Edition. Hp Compaq 2510p 2x Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Cpu U7700@ 1.33 ghz,2 gig ram Booting from 8 gig micro USB + 32 gig SD card instead of HDD[/b]

makropo

#40 Post by makropo »

As a matter of interest, Kingsoft Writer shows Thai text formatted in a way which is very difficult to read. The software seems to break up clusters of letters randomly. Until this is fixed, it won't make much headway in this country. I tried both the full sfs and musher0's version with only western fonts and got the same result with both. I wonder if this happens with other non-western and non-Chinese texts.

slavvo67

#41 Post by slavvo67 »

It also does not do a true conversion of Word dox (i.e. spacing issues with fonts, etc.). It's a nice little product that I recommend on tablets. I still prefer ABI Word (must be 2.8.6) for Puppy (light and does the job).

musher0

#42 Post by musher0 »

makropo wrote:As a matter of interest, Kingsoft Writer shows Thai text formatted in a way which is very difficult to read. The software seems to break up clusters of letters randomly. Until this is fixed, it won't make much headway in this country. I tried both the full sfs and musher0's version with only western fonts and got the same result with both. I wonder if this happens with other non-western and non-Chinese texts.
On this subject of characters, I'll add that KingSoft does not allow typing French accented
characters.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

slavvo67

#43 Post by slavvo67 »

To correct my previous post, after serious consideration about ABI Word, I find it has too many flaws for anything but light editing. See my other posts in the forum about the Delete Button issue. It's a major flaw! Kingsoft's not the one for serious everyday use, either.

zagreb999

KSO-western, Problem insert number pages

#44 Post by zagreb999 »

Thank you very much for
Western Kingsoft O. It is great!
Much better than MS Office.

But it is impossible to insert
number of pages.
Can you resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Greetings.

Tombombadil

Looks nice,but too many issues. Better: SoftMaker FreeOffice

#45 Post by Tombombadil »

Tried out Kingsoft Office, ui looks great, but it has many quirks ... it's English and Chinese only - locales, dictionaries and supported standards. There are problems with regional standards, e.g. spreadsheets cannot be used in Europe, because it's hardcoded to use dot instead of comma for decimal separator. It also changes Windows regional settings at every launch of any Kingsoft Office app, making big problems for other apps... just to name a few ... and its interoperability with Microsoft Office is unsatisfactory (especially when it comes to larger xml files).

My preference amongst all free office suites is still SoftMaker FreeOffice (freeoffice.com) - compared to Kingsoft Office, ui looks unspectacular, but it is effective and comfortable. No issues, no quirks and oddities, it works fast and reliable. And, above all, it provides the best import and export filters for Microsoft Office formats.

gampr01

Re: Looks nice,but too many issues. Better: SoftMaker FreeOffice

#46 Post by gampr01 »

Tombombadil wrote:My preference amongst all free office suites is still SoftMaker FreeOffice (freeoffice.com) - compared to Kingsoft Office, ui looks unspectacular, but it is effective and comfortable. No issues, no quirks and oddities, it works fast and reliable. And, above all, it provides the best import and export filters for Microsoft Office formats.
Softmaker free office had an issue with copy/paste of images on my end - e.g. if you copy a piece of webpage containing an image only text would be pasted into their text editor application.

Kingsoft office still has some bugs, and some functionality, e.g. charts in Excel, is still not there, but it works acceptably quick and i had no issues of compatibility with MS Office, except for the charts.

Bthw, a newer Patch4 to the KSO is available on their website, hope another one will be coming soon - seems they issue patches once in 3-4 months.

bjn

#47 Post by bjn »

Just letting everyone know that the latest free version of KIngsoft/WPS Office supports saving in MS Word Document .docx format.

rek769

Kingsoft 9.10 4961 A18P1

#48 Post by rek769 »

I have made an sfs file of the subject software and am using it on Tahr 6.0.3 without issue so far. If anyone is interested in obtaining it just send a PM. (97 MB)

perdido

#49 Post by perdido »

Kingsoft Office now called WPS Office (Write-Presentations-Spreadsheets)

This is an SFS file of WPS Office for Linux Alpha19 Patch1 dated 2015-08-19 using wps-office_9.1.0.4975~a19p1_i386.deb as source.
The default language is english. This is the 32bit version.

See---> THIS THREAD for current versions

Official site --> http://www.wps.com

Additional information.
Chinese templates removed (saved 7MB)
Removed the environmental variable %f when launching programs.
Copied appropriate icons to /usr/share/pixmaps/ for menu icons.
Installed 5 missing ttf fonts due to error on initial run of program. Now starts with no errors.

As mcewanw-William suggested (and I forgot) you can copy the microsoft truetype core fonts to the directory /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/
Get them here-->http://sourceforge.net/projects/corefonts/files/

WPS Office for Linux Alpha19 Patch1 [2015-08-19]
http://wps-community.org/download.html

Spellchack Dictionary for WPS Office - multiple (20) languages
http://wps-community.org/download/dicts

WPS community
http://wps-community.org/

Runs fine in Puppy Precise 5.7.1
Not for version 4.xx puppies.

Last edited by perdido on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 17:56, edited 5 times in total.

mcewanw

official deb package installs directly on MintPup

#50 Post by mcewanw »

EDIT: Aah, but I've just read that it puts watermark on printed docs after 30 days? I don't know if that is the case ... but if only on printed docs watermark, could still be useful. Also, I can't see that issue mentioned for this version - maybe they removed that limitation?
EDIT2: Well, I changed the date to over a month from now on my system with:

Code: Select all

date -s "2015-11-25 $(date +%H:%M:%S)"
And checked WPS print preview and certainly no watermark there, and also no watermark after export to pdf... (I don't have actual printing set up on my system) so only missing function may be VBA macro support?
EDIT3: I installed cups-pdf to substitute for my not having a printer... and printed and still no watermark. Perhaps watermark only on windows version of the software! :-) This looks like a very good, very fast loading, office suite in that case.

Hi,

I have also installed wps onto my MintPup installation. I expect your sfs package could be loaded onto MintPup, but since I wanted a permanent install I just installed the deb package itself from:

http://wps-community.org/downloads

Note that both a 32bit and 64bit version is available.
Would probably work fine in DebianDog also.

After downloading the deb, installation I completed the installation by entering the following commands into a terminal (at directory I stored the wps deb file in):

dpkg -i  wps-office_9.1.0.4975~a19p1_i386.deb
apt-get install -f
apt-get install xdg-utils
The last line of the three above was required to complete the installation (to do with the startup menu I think).

Just for completion, I also copied some MS ttf fonts (aerial, calibri, courier new, georgia, palantino, symbol, tahoma, times new roman, verdana, webdings, wingding) into MintPup directory /usr/share/fonts/msfonts. I could have used

apt-get install msttcorefonts
to get the fonts from Mint/Ubuntu repository, but that has python 2.7 dependency, which I didn't want, and I only wanted a few fonts. I therefore simply just copied the fonts over from my MS Win7 windows/fonts directory as an alternative method...

Very nice looking office suite (Writer, Spreadsheet, and Presentation) actually and fast too. Gives choice of MS office ribbon type user interface menu or traditional older-style top menu. Works well with docx (but doesn't handle open office odf formats, though I don't use these anyway - apparently can export to odf, and to pdf of course). I haven't checked if the free download has any major limitations otherwise, but seems fine for my needs anyway.

EDIT4: No thesaurus in wps, but worth installing great thesaurus artha for that anyway (like windows wordweb). In DebianDog or Mintpup use:

apt-get install artha

EDIT5: For users of Puppy there is the same version (currently) of artha available in Carolina repositories (needs the wordnet dotpet to complete it), which may or may not work in other Puppies:

http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packag ... -1.0.3.pet

http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packag ... et-3.0.pet

William
github mcewanw