Best thing you like about Puppy Linux????

Using applications, configuring, problems
whoguy

Best thing you like about Puppy Linux????

#1 Post by whoguy »

Hi all,

Just want to put this question out there, before I start, I'd just like to thank all you developers, in particular, Barry Kauler for making the best Linux OS in the world!!!!

I want to know what you think the best things about puppy linux are?

In order of best to worse, my personal best things I like about puppy are,

1. Frugal install which allows me to back up my save file. This gives me the ability to have my 5 puppy computers back in action in less than 2 minutes should anything go wrong!!! Try that with any other distro!!!!

2. Extremely fast - now I only buy second hand latptops and can have a super productive system!!! Oh and save money too.

3. Very very stable in comparison to windows- speaks for itself.

4. Abundance of small and powerful applications packaged with puppy linux- Sometimes I’ve had to format, ftp, chat, author, burn, rip, whatever... and then realise puppy already has all the tools to do virtually anything!!!

5. Small size - Great for quick downloading and be carried on usb!!!

Thanks for reading... please post what you like most... do you use frugal install or full?

Cheers

Brian

nic007

Re: Best thing you like about Puppy Linux????

#2 Post by nic007 »

whoguy wrote:Hi all,

Just want to put this question out there, before I start, I'd just like to thank all you developers, in particular, Barry Kauler for making the best Linux OS in the world!!!!

I want to know what you think the best things about puppy linux are?

In order of best to worse, my personal best things I like about puppy are,

1. Frugal install which allows me to back up my save file. This gives me the ability to have my 5 puppy computers back in action in less than 2 minutes should anything go wrong!!! Try that with any other distro!!!!

2. Extremely fast - now I only buy second hand latptops and can have a super productive system!!! Oh and save money too.

3. Very very stable in comparison to windows- speaks for itself.

4. Abundance of small and powerful applications packaged with puppy linux- Sometimes I’ve had to format, ftp, chat, author, burn, rip, whatever... and then realise puppy already has all the tools to do virtually anything!!!

5. Small size - Great for quick downloading and be carried on usb!!!

Thanks for reading... please post what you like most... do you use frugal install or full?

Cheers

Brian
Yes, frugal install is great. Puppy is a nice backup system for the world famous Windows XP Pro. I'm back using Windows XP Pro but that does not mean Puppy is no good. Puppy is very good too and well worth the effort. What I like most about Puppy is that all the necessary drivers (mostly) are included. A true plug and play system. Oh yes and on your first point -.for a Puppy system I run on one specific computer I never use a save file. Just remaster with your personal settings and there you go without a save file and thus removing the possibility of a corrupted save file. Alternatively use a very small save file after your remaster to allow for small changes you want to make. My save file has never been more than 32MB.

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

What I like best about Puppy:
All in your list PLUS...

I have my Puppy set up so I can CHOOSE whether/when "to save or not to save" the session changes.
[Auto-saving during the session is set to zero]
Normally I don't save...
Neither during the session, nor at shutdown/reboot.
But sometimes I do, if there's a good reason to do so.

whoguy

#4 Post by whoguy »

Thanks for replying nic007 and Sylvander...I've remastered as well... it can take me ages customising a puppy till I'm happy.

Just recently, like yesterday, I've put all my changes into a pet so if I upgrade to a later version, I can just load my pet and all my settings are back.... Yippeee!!!!

I've not turned Autosave off.. but it does sound interesting if I make my Perfect puppy and don't want it ruined!

Cheers guys

wboz

#5 Post by wboz »

That it can run from a USB without running like a dog :P

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

I experiment with it ... was not on the list but my main use for it.

mike

off to get the lightening catcher sorted.....

Sylvander

#7 Post by Sylvander »

whoguy wrote:I've put all my changes into a pet so if I upgrade to a later version, I can just load my pet and all my settings are back...
How about giving detailed instructions for doing this? :D
I wonder if I'm good enough to do it?

whoguy

#8 Post by whoguy »

Sylvander wrote:
whoguy wrote:I've put all my changes into a pet so if I upgrade to a later version, I can just load my pet and all my settings are back...
How about giving detailed instructions for doing this? :D
I wonder if I'm good enough to do it?
Hi Sylvander,

This is what I did...

1. Download all your pets that you usually install when you remaster.

2. Use "pet2tgz petname.pet" to convert the pets to a tar ball.

3. Extract each tar ball to it's own folder.

4. Create a directory, example "MySettings0.1"

5. Go into each extracted directory of your pets and drag everything into your directory you've created. (Click Yes to merge... and keep going)

6. Copy all your config files (that you're happy with) from your root directory to your "Mysettings0.1" .... you might have to create the root directory and sub directories to do this. NOTE: Some config files may be located in OPT depending on the applications you choose to install

7. Once you are happy with your "Mysettings0.1" directory and it has everything you want in it, including all your config files.... Use "dir2pet Mysettins0.1" to turn it all into a pet....follow the prompts...

8. To test it... start with stock puppy. Install your pet... reboot and save...Then see if it comes back with everything as you wanted it.

This worked for me.... I'm using the precise line of puppy and the pets I included in my settings work on all versions of precise.

There is also another easier, but messier way to do it... which I haven't tried, but thought about it...

1. Create a directory "Mysettings0.1"

2. Go into /initrd/pup_rw and copy everything into Mysettings0.1 directory.

3. Use "dir2pet Mysettins0.1" to turn it all into a pet....follow the prompts...

This should work, but it might be a tad messy and shonky.

Good Luck!!!

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

a tad messy .... lol...well my sfs save does just that but some folder filtering is a good idea.... and doing it at shutdown .... and wearing clean underwear....

I like puppy cos it makes my whites wash even whiter....until I discovered smirnoff...

mike

ardvark

#10 Post by ardvark »

Two things I really like about Puppy are....

1. One of the most lightweight distributions out there.

2. You're automatically logged in as root, no having to type in "sudo" (or log into a separate root account) all the time! :D

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

Uten

#11 Post by Uten »

* Encrypted personal file if I need it. Usually I mount an encfs encrypted folder to my-documents to save my work.
* Compatibility with major distro.It is so easy to grab what you need.
* sfs files. Could not live without them. browser updates, Java, wine, not to mention devx loaded when I need it with a simple click in ROX.
* Frugal install pfix=ram, Just ditch anything at the end of the day and start fresh tomorrow.
* Running on old computers ( almost ) never get to old. Even for web surfing.

Thanks to all and everyone who has contributed to make puppylinux what it is today..:o)

Happy new year to all.
Uten