Using Gnomad2 to manage file transfer to Nexus 7 (solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
wildsi

Using Gnomad2 to manage file transfer to Nexus 7 (solved)

#1 Post by wildsi »

Hello,

Its been a while since I've had a computing problem, but I've got one now, caused by the Nexus 7!

I've recently bought a Nexus 7, foolishly assuming it would behave as a USB storage device, but this is not the case. Instead it is a MTP based device which is fine if you use Windows. Fortunately I use Puppy Linux.

I have been using Gnomad2 to manage transferring files (eg Movies, pictures) to the Nexus. I am having problems with large movie files of > 4GB. Gnomad2 simply does not see the files. I can overcome this by making the movie files smaller (in FFConvert,using the AVI MSMPEG4 MP3 preset) which reduces the file size down to < 1GB. However I would rather stick with the higher quality large file. Is there a maximum file size and if so, is there a way to increase it?

I have looked at other methods of transferring files: PupCamera using PTP causes the PC to lock up, Airdroid is too slow for large files. Are there any other methods of connecting up the Nexus 7?

Thanks,

Simon
Last edited by wildsi on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

4GB is currently the filesize limit of the underlying libmtp library.

Since all connections to MTP devices with Linux and Mac OSX rely on libmtp, this will remain a problem until the libmtp developers update their code. It's a feature request on the libmtp developers mailing list, and has been accepted, so it's just a question of time.
In the meantime your options are:

i) use Windows (ouch!) to do large file transfers.
ii) root your Nexus 7, and connect an external USB flash drive or miniSD card via OTG cable.
iii) use smaller media files! Although the N7 has a screen resolution of 1280x800, the small physical screen-size limits the value of HiDef media files. Standard-def resolutions of 720x480 or 720x576 should look just fine on a 7 inch screen, and movies encoded at these resolutions should be no larger than 2GB, and even less if encoded with lower data rate settings.

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Update - I just learned that gPhoto2 can access MTP devices, as well as digital cameras.
With the hope that gPhoto2's underlying libgphoto2 library has no filesize limitations, I suggest you try it -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37453

wildsi

#4 Post by wildsi »

Hi tempestuous,

Thanks for the information and suggestions. It is a shame about the 4GB limit. In response to your suggestions:

i) I really don't want to use Windows. I last had Win 98 at home and I have enough of XP at work
ii) Bit scared about rooting the Nexus. I could try OTG cable + Nexus Media Importer which would not require the Nexus to be rooted
iii) It takes ages making movies smaller! Is there a recommended preset in FFConvert?
iv) gPhoto2. I've had a play around with it. It can access the Nexus in MTP mode. However, I've not had much success. For example, entering:

gphoto2 --list-files

gphoto2 lists 286 files then stops with an error message:

*** Error (-8: 'Fixed limit exceeded') ***

I'm a bit stuck to be honest!

Simon

don570

#5 Post by don570 »

It's possible to attach keyboards and USB sticks to nexus7

http://www.amazon.ca/Asuxtek%C2%AE-Nexu ... B008ZBGC5S

Here's a review..

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars OTG good ta go!
This little cable lives up to it's name. Works fine on a rooted Nexus 7 combined with stickmount app to add much needed USB storage to the tablet. You can't go wrong for $6.00 free shipping. You just have to wait two weeks for it to get here from Hong Kong.
This is same cable (I believe)

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1099

wildsi

#6 Post by wildsi »

Thanks don570. The lead is reasonably priced

don570

OTG cable

#7 Post by don570 »

Here's an interesting video on how to make
an OTG cable with a female end rather than
the normal male plug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COkLEJGo6vo

wildsi

#8 Post by wildsi »

Ingenious!

DaveS

#9 Post by DaveS »

Wildsi, I have had total success with this problem using ftp. You need a WiFi network of course. I use andftp and ftpserver on the N7, both free from the play store and gftp which is built into Puppy (from the internet menu). If you are sending a file TO the N7 run andftp, if you are sending FROM N7 use ftpserver. I have transfered one GB files this way no problem. Its fast too.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

wildsi

#10 Post by wildsi »

Thanks for your help.

I must admit I have struggled with FTP.

I am instead using Nexus Media importer with an OTG cable.

rmcellig

#11 Post by rmcellig »

Hi DaveS

It seems like the ftp solution you mention is the most straight forward way in Puppy Linux. I downloaded the two FTP apps you mention in your post but am not sure where to go from here, like in how I set this all up. I have an OTG cable on order so in the meantime I need to transfer files from/to my Nexus 7. I can always boot into Xubuntu 13.10 whick works with my Nexus out of the box but I prefer to see how puppy deals with devices such as the Nexus 7.