Improve Puppy Linux execution

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
mistfire

Improve Puppy Linux execution

#1 Post by mistfire »

Upon observing Puppy Linux application execution. I noticed that the CPU usage spikes into 100% then suddenly back to normal. When processing commands and data it spikes instantly to 100% CPU usage which can cause hanging of other applications.

This explains the sudden high CPU usage in some applications (in my opinion). Puppy Linux process data on the application which is on focused. When it performs loop operations especially the nested loops or recursion it spikes up the CPU usage that can cause hanging. In order to prevent spiking CPU usage. The CPU must process other task while waiting the loop operations to finish. It must be like asynchronous method of processing task in a program.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

I noticed that the CPU usage spikes into 100% then suddenly back to normal.
Where are you looking at the CPU usage? In the tray? If your window manager is JWM then you're probably not seeing what you think you're seeing - see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28483.
When processing commands and data it spikes instantly to 100% CPU usage which can cause hanging of other applications.
Please provide more details if you are experiencing problems. What is happening, when? What hardware are you running Puppy on?
This explains the sudden high CPU usage in some applications (in my opinion). Puppy Linux process data on the application which is on focused. When it performs loop operations especially the nested loops or recursion it spikes up the CPU usage that can cause hanging. In order to prevent spiking CPU usage. The CPU must process other task while waiting the loop operations to finish. It must be like asynchronous method of processing task in a program.
No, I think you are quite off track here. Linux is exceptionally good at multitasking.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

menu->System->CPU Frequency Scaling Tool

Settings with this can affect CPU usage.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

That just limits your CPU speed (if your machine supports it), to save power.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Sounds to me like either those drive icons if every 2-4 seconds or the usb save if every 30 minutes... the info is a bit vague.

In either case its bad code (script) that should be removed/replaced but thats another story.

Puppies execution of software is no different to any other distro...its all linux.

mike