Media Transfer Protocol MTP (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
SnoopPup

#196 Post by SnoopPup »

Can you tell me where the file/database is that holds the config/info for various Samsung phones?

Perhaps then I can edit that file to add my phone?

Semme

#197 Post by Semme »

Then, no guarantees >> try this. Or if you wanna try'n add your phone, see this udev rules post.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

SnoopPup

#198 Post by SnoopPup »

yeah, thanks. Just got off the phone,let me take a look at these.

SnoopPup

#199 Post by SnoopPup »

So, I am getting new activity.

I uninstalled everything and installed the following:

go-mtpfs-20130628.pet
mtp_detect-0.10-exper-noarch.pet
mtpstatus-0.3-i486.pet

After plugging in, mtp_detect reports MTP device detected, but TEST reports no device found.

but when I proceed anyway by selecting YES, mtp_detect reports that device successfully mounted in a pop-up box. This is new. Never saw that.

Then ROX runs displaying /mnt/MTPdevice with a green dot, which I'm pretty sure is new. But no files in that folder.

Should I be in Debug Mode on my phone? MTP is apparently running on phone b/c MTP-detect reports an MTP device detected. It even says it successfully mounted it, but no files.

btw, my phone is rooted, and I run Adblock Plus on it, but have gotten rid of most of my other root utilities and root file managers. Android 4.0.4 (ICS).

Seems like it might be a software issue on my phone, because MTP-detect is now reporting a successful mount.

rcrsn51

#200 Post by rcrsn51 »

SnoopPup wrote:But no files in that folder.
Here is a tip for using ROX. Click the Rescan button on the toolbar (the blue Recycle icon). It will sometimes make files appear.

SnoopPup

#201 Post by SnoopPup »

I just also noticed a new icon on my tray. A little phone with a green dot. When I click it, it says "go-mtpfs not running". Can also right click it and it gives me an option to browse device, but displays no files when selected.

SnoopPup

#202 Post by SnoopPup »

So clicking on that little phone icon says go-mtpfs not running, so I started go-mtpfs in terminal with go-mtpfs MTPdevice & to keep it running with the & (I believe) but clicking on the phone icon still says it's not running.

Process manager was reporting gphotofs still running, so I killed it, then fired up go-mtpfs in terminal but process manager still says it's not running.

SnoopPup

#203 Post by SnoopPup »

So after I killed gphotofs, it looks like I can no longer even get the "Mounted successfully" box or the little phone icon in tray.

SnoopPup

#204 Post by SnoopPup »

UPDATE:

So now I'm getting an MTPdevice folder with Orange Triangle with an Exclamation Mark ICON in my /mnt folder. When I click it, it says doesn't exist:

smokey01

#205 Post by smokey01 »

In tahrpup-CE-6.0 MTP works out of the box. When I plug in my Samsung Galaxy S4 the PupCamera GUI pops up recognising my phone as a camera. Click on the Open button to mount and it sees both the internal memory and microSD card.
I can copy files back and forth.

SnoopPup

#206 Post by SnoopPup »

ROX is now locking up as well. Like the scan button will scan once and then freeze the screen. had to restart graphical interface once.

SnoopPup

#207 Post by SnoopPup »

smokey01 wrote:In tahrpup-CE-6.0 MTP works out of the box. When I plug in my Samsung Galaxy S4 the PupCamera GUI pops up recognising my phone as a camera. Click on the Open button to mount and it sees both the internal memory and microSD card.
Yeah, that's a good idea. Just upgrade to latest to see if better. tahrpup-6.0 is not much larger, is it?

smokey01

#208 Post by smokey01 »

SnoopPup wrote:
smokey01 wrote:In tahrpup-CE-6.0 MTP works out of the box. When I plug in my Samsung Galaxy S4 the PupCamera GUI pops up recognising my phone as a camera. Click on the Open button to mount and it sees both the internal memory and microSD card.
Yeah, that's a good idea. Just upgrade to latest to see if better. tahrpup-6.0 is not much larger, is it?
Tahr=199 Slacko=161

Slacko is great but I find tahr just a little more complete as it has vlc, my favourite media player.

SnoopPup

#209 Post by SnoopPup »

smokey01 wrote:
SnoopPup wrote:
Tahr=199 Slacko=161

Slacko is great but I find tahr just a little more complete as it has vlc, my favourite media player.
vlc is my favorite player too. I was surprised not to see it in Slacko 5.7. I can stream music/movies from pc to phone with vlc, to anywhere really. Now that I know how to install through puppy pkg mgr a little, I see that it is there. Not sure what version. I'm still on a learning curve. I got a Red Hat distro up to a prompt almost 15 years ago, but it's been about that long since I have used Linux, well, besides using it every time I'm on the internet connecting to an Apache server, etc., but I don't have to do much besides mash Windows icons.

Anyway, downloading 6.0 iso now. Is there an easy way to just add it to my hard drived installation MBR or bootloader or wherever it is it should be?

SnoopPup

#210 Post by SnoopPup »

WOW, just wanted to say that my first reaction to booting up tahrpup 6.0 and running the default Pale Moon browser is that it seems blazing fast compared to Slacko 5.7, which itself seemed pretty fast compared to XP on a Pentium 4 with 2 gigs. I think it's more than the browser because opening a few apps like vlc, sysinfo, etc seems much faster.

Now on to getting my phone connected, hopefully. Either way, thanks for pushing me to try to 6.0. I was planning to try out the different distros eventually, but now is better than later.

SnoopPup

#211 Post by SnoopPup »

lol...I think tahrpup 6.0 is tooooo fast..lol

which reminds me of a suggestion: it would be helpful to slow down some of the pop-up boxes that present during various installations. Sometimes an error box will pop up and disappear before I can read it. I will also add this to the suggestions thread I saw the other night.

Semme

#212 Post by Semme »

Do yourself a favor and get a factory cord. Those after-markets are poorly made and anything but reliable.

Firsthand experience tells me it's not the software that's holding your phone back, it's the lousy cord.
ROX runs displaying /mnt/MTPdevice with a green dot..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Semme

#213 Post by Semme »

Potential aids: updated firmware *or* this dudes mod. Note the FOUR follow-ups.

SnoopPup

#214 Post by SnoopPup »

Since I moved to tahrpup 6.0, I'm getting zero connection.

I'll go ahead and pick up a new cord, but my hunch is that that is not the problem.

The thing about Samsung cables is that the phone connector wire breaks pretty quickly, broke 2 in 6 months. Got electrical tape on this one, but it's just a power cord from an old Samsung phone, not a data cable.

Anyhoo, thanks for the help. I'm not giving up on Puppy, 6.0 is too damn fast. I have a hunch it is more stable than Slacko 5.7 too, I mean, I was surprised that I ever had to reboot Slacko 5.7, but I did have to a couple of times. Not sure what caused that, but I was a little surprised. Might've been screen res though,but it did lock up a few times. So far, no lock ups on 6.0 and none in sight. :)

Semme

#215 Post by Semme »

No dice, huh? Both libs grabbed my phone aboard Tahr.
Eventually I got it fixed by inserting a tiny jewelers flat head screw driver into the very narrow side of the micro usb port on the phone and very gently bent the piece in the middle so the contact points would be bent towards the contact points on the usb cable.
Odd, here you list "e" >> Dev ID [04e8:685e].. Your ss says otherwise.

Not that it matters much @ the moment.. I was merely bringing your info to the forefront.
Attachments
sp-pid_mtp.jpg
(134.82 KiB) Downloaded 746 times