Media Transfer Protocol MTP (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
01micko

#61 Post by 01micko »

New pet for the mtp_device script.

Please read this post carefully.

Now all androids should be auto detected and pupcamera should be suppressed. Works ok here with my 4 test devices and my camera still works with pupcamera.

NOTE: do not install the pup-camera pet unless you have one of the recent slacko alphas from woof-CE

For precise, carolina, racy etc please add the code in my previous post to the top of /usr/sbin/pupcamera just above "export TEXTDOMAIN=pupcamera".

Like so:

Code: Select all

PIDOFMTP=`pidof mtpdevice`
[ "$PIDOFMTP" ] && exit # exits if mtpdevice process starts to tame udev rule 88-puppy-autodetect.rules

export TEXTDOMAIN=pupcamera
Should now work in FatDog. A pinstall.sh removes old '51-android-mtp.rules' file if there.

Have fun !

EDIT: new upload after 2 downloads
Attachments
mtp_detect-0.8-exper-noarch.pet
Uninstall old version if you wish. Files get removed/overwritten anyway.
(12.49 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
pupcamera-bugfix-0.1.pet
ONLY for latest slacko alphas
(3.08 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sylvander

#62 Post by Sylvander »

Did the necessary as above [added the code plus installed the MTP pet], but when I connect Samsung Galaxy tab-2 10.1 [or run "Menu->Filesystem->MTP"], I get on the desktop a red warning that "go-mtpfs is not installed". :(

Tab-2 runs Android 4.0.
Running Precise-5.6.1 on a 2012 desktop.

01micko

#63 Post by 01micko »

Read the previous page Sylvander

I'll link it to the post at the top in bold.

It supports xfe too (I hope). Pet is updated after 2 d'loads.

Geoffrey

#64 Post by Geoffrey »

01micko wrote:For precise, carolina, racy etc please add the code in my previous post to the top of /usr/sbin/pupcamera just above "export TEXTDOMAIN=pupcamera".
Carolina's /usr/sbin/pupcamera doesn't have a line "export TEXTDOMAIN=pupcamera" .
Attachments
pupcamera-carolina.gz
For 01micko to parooze
(3 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

tempestuous

#65 Post by tempestuous »

Since this is an international forum, "parooze" is an Australian (and also probably American) phoneticism of the word "peruse".

can8v

#66 Post by can8v »

@Tempestuous
Yes American, as well.

Geoffrey

#67 Post by Geoffrey »

tempestuous wrote:Since this is an international forum, "parooze" is an Australian (and also probably American) phoneticism of the word "peruse".
:wink:

With the new 69-libmtp.rules added, my bauhn android tablet no longer mounted, I added a new rule.

# Bauhn Android tablet (Qualcomm, Inc.)
ATTR{idVendor}=="05c6", ATTR{idProduct}=="f003", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/sbin/pupautodetect android-device"
It now works again, these tablets were/are sold at Aldi stores throughout Australia.
Last edited by Geoffrey on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

can8v

#68 Post by can8v »

Geoffrey wrote:
tempestuous wrote:Since this is an international forum, "parooze" is an Australian (and also probably American) phoneticism of the word "peruse".
:wink:

With the new 69-libmtp.rules added, my bauhn android tablet no longer mounted, I added a new rule.

# Bauhn Android tablet (Qualcomm, Inc.)
ATTR{idVendor}=="05c6", ATTR{idProduct}=="f003", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/sbin/pupautodetect android-device"
It now works again, these tablets where/are sold at Aldi stores throughout Australia.
@Geoffrey
I am assuming you are using Carolina for that test. Could you please report the time needed for the autodetect?

Billtoo

Media Transfer Protocol MTP

#69 Post by Billtoo »

I installed the two pets, go-mtpfs-20130628.pet and
mtp_detect-08-exper-noarch.pet in peebee's lxpup 180114.
After plugging in the usb cable and mounting the device xfe popped up
and I transferred an album to it.
I unmounted the device and unplugged the usb cable, the only way to
get the music to stop playing was to power off the nexus, I usually
just put it in standby.
I've powered up the nexus7 again and standby is working now.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that there were permission errors when it copied the album to the nexus but the files were copied.
Attachments
nexus7.jpg
(26.83 KiB) Downloaded 662 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 02:51, edited 2 times in total.

Geoffrey

#70 Post by Geoffrey »

can8v wrote: I am assuming you are using Carolina for that test. Could you please report the time needed for the autodetect?
A count of 18 then the gui appears asking to mount, I can live with that.

can8v

#71 Post by can8v »

Geoffrey wrote:
can8v wrote: I am assuming you are using Carolina for that test. Could you please report the time needed for the autodetect?
I cannot live with that and have spent several hours today exhausting my options. I think the only options left is a kernel change or not use udev.
--Edit--
I am wondering how I might do monitoring the system log entries from dmesg to detect when my MTP devices are plugged in.

Geoffrey

#72 Post by Geoffrey »

can8v wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
I cannot live with that and have spent several hours today exhausting my options. I think the only options left is a kernel change or not use udev.
Has it been tried in Saluki to see if it's any quicker, I'll test in Carolina non-pae,.

I tried just running it from the menu entry, that mounts instantly, though if I run that with no device connected it still say's that it found my Android and would I like to mount it.

Geoffrey

#73 Post by Geoffrey »

I tested in SalukiNOP 0.23 and Carolina non PAE, still takes around 18 seconds to run the mounter, that's three different kernels, it has to be something else.

Has Wary and Racy been tried by anyone ?, I don't have any copies at present to test those.

Oh! I used the latest mtp_detect-0.8-exper-noarch.pet and it worked without me adding a rule :?

tempestuous

#74 Post by tempestuous »

I don't have an MTP device, myself, but I installed 01micko's mtp_detect-0.8-exper-noarch.pet
and I had a look at the on-screen prompt which invites the user to mount their device. Makes sense to me.
But I'm mindful of the earlier post by Moose On The Loose -
Moose On The Loose wrote:When the camera is plugged in, the situation should be the same as for when a USB memory stick is plugged in. An icon should appear on the desktop and an device should appear in pmount.
Ooh, that's a nice idea. Could we modify the desktop drive icon function (/sbin/pup_event_frontend_d ?)
to autodetect MTP devices when connected, and then generate an icon for them on the desktop?
An on-screen prompt would then only pop up once the user clicks on the desktop icon.
Attachments
phone_mobile.png
(823 Bytes) Downloaded 583 times
onscreen-appearance.jpg
(5.52 KiB) Downloaded 580 times

greengeek

#75 Post by greengeek »

tempestuous wrote:"parooze" is an Australian (and also probably American) phoneticism of the word "peruse".
Dunno about your side of the Tazzie, but over here Parooze is the capital of France.
:)

01micko

#76 Post by 01micko »

tempestuous wrote:I don't have an MTP device, myself, but I installed 01micko's mtp_detect-0.8-exper-noarch.pet
and I had a look at the on-screen prompt which invites the user to mount their device. Makes sense to me.
But I'm mindful of the earlier post by Moose On The Loose -
Moose On The Loose wrote:When the camera is plugged in, the situation should be the same as for when a USB memory stick is plugged in. An icon should appear on the desktop and an device should appear in pmount.
Ooh, that's a nice idea. Could we modify the desktop drive icon function (/sbin/pup_event_frontend_d ?)
to autodetect MTP devices when connected, and then generate an icon for them on the desktop?
An on-screen prompt would then only pop up once the user clicks on the desktop icon.
pup_even_frontend_d is now written in BaCon (basic to C converter) and I don't have the first clue about basic.. anyone? The change was in June last year.

Geoffrey.. I checked and 05c6:f003 is not there, so I wonder how that worked? I have fixed the mechanism for auto generation anyway to the new format in 69-libmtp.rules so if anyone does have an obscure device at least they can have a rule generated for it and see if it works. There are bound to plenty of cheap Chinese tablets and phones out there that are not covered.

Billtoo., any bug encountered with go-mtpfs should be reported to the developer. https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs/issues

can8v

#77 Post by can8v »

Geoffrey wrote:I tested in SalukiNOP 0.23 and Carolina non PAE, still takes around 18 seconds to run the mounter, that's three different kernels, it has to be something else.

Has Wary and Racy been tried by anyone ?, I don't have any copies at present to test those.

Oh! I used the latest mtp_detect-0.8-exper-noarch.pet and it worked without me adding a rule :?
Are all of them using udev ver. 167.

Billtoo

Media Transfer Protocol MTP

#78 Post by Billtoo »

I tried the new pet in Slacko64 and everything went without errors,
copied another album to the nexus7,standby works too.

I plugged in a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and an earlier version of
the pet (0.5) saw it as a Research but couldn't mount it, the latest
pet (0.8 ) doesn't see it at all so I still need Windows to transfer
files to the PlayBook.

Anyways, it's working great with the nexus7 in Slacko64 :)
Attachments
nexus7.jpg
(27.87 KiB) Downloaded 709 times

can8v

Re: Media Transfer Protocol MTP

#79 Post by can8v »

Billtoo wrote:I tried the new pet in Slacko64 and everything went without errors,
copied another album to the nexus7,standby works too.

I plugged in a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and an earlier version of
the pet (0.5) saw it as a Research but couldn't mount it, the latest
pet (0.8 ) doesn't see it at all so I still need Windows to transfer
files to the PlayBook.

Anyways, it's working great with the nexus7 in Slacko64 :)
Blackberry Playbook, might need some very special attention. I have seen forum post in a great many forums for many different distros and they all seemed to have problems with Playbook. It apparently uses MTP, but I wonder if it holds to the MTP standards. I have seen many post of unhappy Playbook owners that were unable to mount their devices in Distros that were using Libmtp/GIO, libmtp/FUSE, etc. There is about a dozen different ways to accomplish mounting MTP devices and it doesn't seem to matter which is used by the various distros, somebody is posting about their Playbook not mounting.
You might use lsusb to see what the manufacturer and product IDs are and manually make a rule for it and see if you can get any love that way. If not try connecting it and mounting it per the direction Tempestuous first gave out for mounting at the CL, no auto detection that way, but at least you might be about to get files to and from the device.

Billtoo

#80 Post by Billtoo »

@can8v
Thanks for the info on the PlayBook.