Abiword 2.9.4 included in Slacko 5.6 is unstable

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Hmm well i tried qtconfig for both 3 and 4 but perhaps its looking elsewhere since it mentions chrome.... I do remember kde had some mysterious setting that could pass over gui settings to gtk...possibly related to that magic....libreoffice also plays the 'use system theme settings game' too but like all things linux its a free for all and standards don't apply.

If someone was bored they could fire up a kde based distro...and play with settings and then try and find what file gets altered then use a copy of that... plan b...ask softmaker.

mike

rufwoof

#17 Post by rufwoof »

Tried mounting rather than union'ing the softmaker sfs

mkdir /mnt/softmaker
mount softmaker.sfs /mnt/softmaker -t squashfs -o loop

in

/mnt/softmaker/usr/share/freeoffice

ran

./textmaker

and it starts up the text editor ok, but throws out a

sh: getconf: command not found

error. Puppy doesn't have a getconf in bin nor busybox (that I know of), which could be the problem.

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

Hmm don't have getconf on here either...so you thinking its running blind so won't pick up any desktop managers config? After all gnome and KDE are different beasties.

A sneaky way might be to find out which font it is using then alias a larger one....looks like its using a fallback X bitmap but thats just a guess.

mike

rufwoof

#19 Post by rufwoof »

No luck. I installed getconf and still the same.

There are loads of fonts already in their sfs. Which one's to swap !!! (I'm not going to spend any time trying to figure that one out).

I also tried a 2002 (Lucid) version - ran ok under slacko, but still the same again (spell check disabled in that version - I guess as encouragement to register. Did have an additional OS2 choice of theme, but that wasn't any better than any of the others).

For me, looks like using Softmakers spreadsheet and Libre Word processor are a nice combination. I find that Libre tends to stutter when arrowing around a spreadsheet whilst softmaker doesn't, but the small menu fonts make Softmaker less comfortable than Libre for word processing.

slavvo67

#20 Post by slavvo67 »

I don't see a problem with Gnumeric. It seems very stable and converts the excel spreadsheets fine, I think. I've used pretty advanced Excel spreadsheets in Gnumeric without issue.

By the way, I'm running Libre Office 4.2 (there's a thread with different pets around here somewhere) on Fluxpup (PAE on one pc, non-PAE on the older) with old Dell hardware and I am experiencing little to no lag. Very, very happy with this combo. I kept ABI and Gnumeric on the same distro and 2 browsers (Opera and Seamonkey) with no issues. I also have Chromium (non-root) on the PAE version). I just can't decide on a browser... :roll:

rufwoof

#21 Post by rufwoof »

I've had a few charts in worksheets open up as massively wide under gnumeric. Adjust save, then edited by another spreadsheet program and reopen with gnumeric - to have to adjust the charts again.

Just downloaded Libre 4.2.3 sfs (http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85915) and scrolling/arrowing around/through charts does seem to be a lot better. Thanks Slavvo

gjuhasz

Unstable in Windows, too

#22 Post by gjuhasz »

Hi
I tested Abiword versions from 2.9.1 to 2.9.4 to decide which one should be included it in Puli http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88691.
Unfortunately, only 2.8.6 and 2.9.1 are able to open my favorite single-page docx file (screenshot attached) but the rest of versions, from 2.9.2 to 2.9.4 fail.
Same behavior under Windows 7.

Finally, I did not remove Abiword 2.8.6 from Puli but added SoftMaker FreeOffice 2012 and LibreOffice 4.2., that run from the memory flawlessly.
However, in FreeOffice, the response time drops dramatically if the number of applied font types are more than eight, while Abiword and LibreOffice remains fast.

Later I tested Abiword 3 in Lubuntu 14.04 LTS. Opens and saves various formats of more complex documents nicely.
Attachments
Test.jpg
(177.74 KiB) Downloaded 498 times

slavvo67

#23 Post by slavvo67 »

These are interesting findings. Thank you. I'll need to look closer at that!

Pelo

Abiword default text processor : fine !

#24 Post by Pelo »

Using Libre office or Soft Maker does not help improving Abiword.
Abiword is the right tool pour everyday usage of Puppy's user. If you need more install SFS. Try the last version 3.0.0 here
completely agrre with Wilhelm about not installing unstable versions.
Newbies escape the puppy distro because of that !
Windows is competitive vs Puppy using Suites Office. JRE included. Libre Office and Open Office are free of charge too.
Puppy offers everything in light apps. That is the reason of its succes. Don't change that

Pelo

Abiword 2.9.4 Slacko > use 2.8.2

#25 Post by Pelo »

"However, due to the lack of time and people to contribute to the documentation effort, it is far from complete, and does not cover all features, including many of the new features available in the 2.x release series"

All versions 2.9 are instable. this version was for test by users and roots.
Use last version stable 2.8.2 for Slacko. Just add the pet joined.
administrators (root) had to inform Abisource to issue a new stable version. I hope they did it and that version 3.0.0 is safe.
Nevertheless the fact of having coloured borders instead of blacks ones for inserted tables is not a so important thing.
technosaurus abiword provides the pets for UK citizens, ASRI will furnish frenchies
Abiword fit the needs of common users. because they don't have a lot colleagues, they have only their wife (sometimes).
Those who need a full suite for slides, database,spreadsheets, can add their 150MB SFS with Abiword 4MB installed. et vice-versa.
Attachments
vokoscreen.jpg
maquette 2.8.2
(61.05 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
wv-1.2.4-i386.pet
(161.52 KiB) Downloaded 244 times

pcalvert

#26 Post by pcalvert »

I've been using Abiword for years without any serious problems on Debian Stable. In case it helps, the current version of Abiword in Debian Stable (Wheezy) is 2.9.2+svn20120603-8.

See:
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/abiword

Phil