Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Oct 2018, 03:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Build scripts for small debian live images (similar to woof)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 9 of 11 [155 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
efgee

PostPosted: Fri 28 Feb 2014, 18:16    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
SLIM is the smallest but unfortunately it does not work well for IceWM, OpenBox, JWM.
I would suggest to test xdm and nodm (both the same size) and a little bit bigger but working without problems lightdm.

Toni

Thank you for the info.
Will try to work with lightdm as I'm not after smallest size.
I'm more after "it just works" Very Happy
efgee

PostPosted: Fri 28 Feb 2014, 19:05    Post subject:  

emil wrote:
Quote:
Every time I want to disable "root" and enable "user" on startup

efgee, for building a CAT with being user after autologin you have to add the following line to the nodm-hooks.chroot in modules/CAT/hooks

Code:
sed -i 's/^NODM_USER.*/NODM_USER=user/g' /etc/default/nodm

That's what I did and the result was X11 with an X as a cursor.
No window manager was loaded.

emil wrote:

If you want to change this in running CAT (with persistence enabled) please edit file

/etc/default/nodm

change NODM_USER=root to NODM_USER=user

cheers Cool
emil

At this point in time I am creating/recreating the iso with persistence disabled.
Want to see how "healthy" my settings are.
konaexpress

PostPosted: Sat 01 Mar 2014, 23:42    Post subject:  

Keep it up boys, looking forward to testing/using this.

I can't do what you guys do but I can test and make graphics so let me know.

Icons, wallpapers or logos......give me an idea.

Best hopes,

John
emil

PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar 2014, 12:18    Post subject:  

Hi konaexpress,
you can alread test, I am using CAT-041 on my working laptop. There are some usability quirks, but it is definitly usable.
If you want to contribute Wallpapers, logos or icons feel free to do so. There were already ideas about naming different builds, CAT themes offers a lot of possibilities, just think of Tiger, Lion or Jaguar.
I also liked sickguts names for varios desktop items (like "meow" for start menu or "kitty litter" for trash. So there is room for creativity!
kind regards
emil
efgee

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar 2014, 19:24    Post subject:  

As a follow up:
I know it's not the Puppy way, but being a normal user with sudo capabilities fits my needs.
(instead of being root all the time)
Tried to get a normal user working with this script but to no avail.

Started using the original sagedebianlive script and to my surprise beeing a normal user (not root) works just fine.
Instead of wasting more time in trying to figure out what changed (and why the cat script does not work in this regard) I will use the original sagedebianlive script while moving forward.

Many thanks to all involved that intruduced me to the cat script, debian live and the work the sagedebianlive guys did.

Will post my progress (if it's OK with you guys).

Keep up the good work!
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2014, 02:34    Post subject:  

Hi, Efgee.
efgee wrote:

This is strange because the Cat-0.2 script (the first one) auto-login as user and the new build iso have working user account. Here is download link if you like to try.
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/sdl/Debian-light-builder.tar.gz
And the resulted iso which has default user auto-login.
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/sdl/CAT-0.2.iso
Quote:

Please, post the results you have. I'm too busy with Light-Wheezy changes at the moment but I read this thread regular and will continue testing the Cat build-scripts.

Toni

emil

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2014, 09:59    Post subject:  

in File nodm.hooks

for autostart with root user (CAT 0.41):
Code:
sed -i 's/^NODM_ENABLED.*/NODM_ENABLED=true/g' /etc/default/nodm

while for autostart with "user" user (CAT 0.2 and sagedebianlive):
Code:

that is all that changed,
cheers
emil
efgee

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2014, 15:17    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
Hi, Efgee.
efgee wrote:

This is strange because the Cat-0.2 script (the first one) auto-login as user and the new build iso have working user account. Here is download link if you like to try.
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/sdl/Debian-light-builder.tar.gz
And the resulted iso which has default user auto-login.
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/sdl/CAT-0.2.iso

Only tried the lasted version not the first one.

saintless wrote:

Quote:

Please, post the results you have. I'm too busy with Light-Wheezy changes at the moment but I read this thread regular and will continue testing the Cat build-scripts.

Well, I said:
Quote:

because with removing the autologin to root the project I'm working on lost all similarity with Puppy or the CAT script as the sagedebianlive script is not in sync with the CAT script (actually it's the other way around, the CAT script is not in sync with his parent...).
This being said, don't want to annoy anyone in this friendly forum with postings that don't relate to a pure Puppy project.
efgee

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2014, 15:25    Post subject:  

emil wrote:
while for autostart with "user" user (CAT 0.2 and sagedebianlive):
Code:

that is all that changed, ...

This is exactly what I changed.
However, every time the new iso is booted I end up with a X11 screen and an X as a cursor.
No openbox, nothing.

A new iso that is built with the sagedebianlive script (from trunk) boots as user with openbox.
So I will keep experimenting with this one.

Take care
slackfan

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 04:09    Post subject: shrink the base  

wunderfull!

did someone yet try to shrink the 130-mb-base a bit more (why a full developed browser and some tiny browser like links2, links or retawq can arrange enough for a minimal web service, easy download and not more) and give to the minimal system a menu management system as Puppy did always have since it is stable (archpup as tiny it was did manage extensions)?

alternative option would be to say, if a full developed browser, go the secure way, only vim as editor and xxxterm/xombrero as browser, and erase the other: using apt-get the user can easy add his lovely editor or maximal browser!

next idea would be to use the SID branch because it is probably more simple to manage an actual rolling base, the most modern, than a derivated last stable version beeing sentenced to be replaced soon by a new stable...

and we found in the SID depository all app's. also app's being searching the way to become a stable Debian release of that application (SID offers the widest pool of apps actually accessible in Linux!)
emil

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar 2014, 13:45    Post subject:  

Quote:
did someone yet try to shrink the 130-mb-base a bit more (why a full developed browser and some tiny browser like links2, links or retawq can arrange enough for a minimal web service

Dear slackfan,
creating such a minimal system is possible and not difficult. Everyone would prefere a slightly different configuration, choosing a successful one is an art. But feel free to edit the script to build your favorite.
regards
emil
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) Acer Laptop emachines 2 GB RAM AMD64. franco-/germanophone, +/- anglophone

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2014, 06:17    Post subject:  

hi

is that

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08381

a competitor for Puppy Linux (a very interesting thing to see that other American authorities than NSA are worried over spying on the web Rolling Eyes !) Question

under 300 MB that can be compared with Puppy of course and 440 MB including Office it is the real weight of Puppy with that equipement Idea

a script building a small debian live image in Puppy styling and organisation with an high security choice of applications (security browser Xombrero and, of course Vi and gvim instead of all other editors as Xombrero uses the short cuts of Vi? and perhaps latex and a vi compatible latex editor as Office: Emil did spend us a relatively short time ago a great collection of good *.SFS for Latex and Lyx! (* 1) would certainly be very interesting!

did some one build new configurations with the script since the last message from Emil?

greetings

(*1 I did test now for the new PC of my wife (I use myself only an Android flyer in the next time) as her old mouse was not USB connected Ubuntu 13.10 with ratpoison instead of XDM/GDM/KDM! It is really good: you log in in console mode and enter the graphic mode using ratpoison ^t + ^. and the Debian menu of Ubuntu appears (as far you have installed the package "menu", of course): The last item of the Debian menu is "other window managers": simply hit on the UP key + enter. you can try TWM if you add it in the Debian menu (is always installed with Xorg but not connected properly in the menu). Background picture: use Xli (small and flexible). You also can install JWM or somewhat other! Ratpoison + Debian menu package, that is great for minimalist systems! and as small Debian live images can include aptitude (or synaptic, as Emil did do in his fat version), you get a very expendable minimal system needing no mouse obligatory...
Bindee

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jun 2015, 03:10    Post subject:  

Emil seems to have vanished.
emil

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jun 2015, 04:21    Post subject:  

Hi,
just lurking Very Happy
Bindee

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jun 2015, 05:48    Post subject:  

Kewl , I'll send you a PM Very Happy
Page 9 of 11 [155 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: