MTPconnect 0.9

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
can8v

MTPconnect 0.9

#1 Post by can8v »

I completely abandoned my old design in favor a fully automatic model. This application automatically detects everything that gets plugged into USB, then test whether or not it is MTP compatible. Each device is only tested once as it records whether the device passed or failed. There is NO need to have a list of MTP compatible devices to make detection possible. That pretty much future proofs the application. I have tested this application in several versions of Puppy and Lubuntu, just for grins. I have also tested it with 9 different MTP enabled devices and 12 devices that do not use MTP, with each computer and distro that I tested. Under the stated test conditions this application is bug free. Now that I am releasing this into the wild I would appreciate it if you post any bug you might possibly find here.

***Install go-mtpfs first***
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 442#752416
Usage: after installing go-mtpfs and this pet package, restart your computer OR start the script /root/Startup/MTPconnect.sh
Then plug in an MTP device.
within a second or two your file manager will display the contents of your device.
use your file manager OR the command line to manage your files as you normally do.
After all files on the device are closed (ie. you are no longer copying, moving, streaming, etc.) unplug the device. There is no need to unmount first. The data integrity on your device will not be harmed.
Within a couple seconds of unmounting the application corrects all conditions left by unplugging your device, so that no errors are generated in the FUSE or go-mtpfs layers (ie. the file systems of the device and your computer are left error free).
Data integrity on the device can be compromised if you unplug your device while you still have files open (ie. copying or moving). You have been warned.
On the other hand my test have shown that using the fusermount -u command to unmount while a file is open produces at best a "device or resource is busy" error that is sometimes only curable by rebooting the computer and at worse causes data integrity issues on the device.
another event that can cause the "device or resource is busy" error is to cancle a move or copy before it completes. This is the case whether or not you use this application to automount and/or autounmount your device.

Note: This application is not compatible with my other MTP automounter application, 01micko's similar application, or Geoffrey's script that is included in Carolina 1.2. In the case of my previous application and 01micko's application, simply uninstall the PET package before installing trying this one and if you if you want to switch back, then uninstall this package, before reinstalling whatever you were using before. In the case with Geoffrey's script, there is no need to uninstall his script, just don't use it while this package is installed. If you don't have any of the packages mentioned in this note, then just use the simple install instructions mentioned above.

Edit:
If you are interested in an explanation as to why it is safe to unplug your MTP device after all the files are closed, without issuing an unmount command. I explain this here in response to the second question from Sylvander:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 504#756656

***Edit***
I have tested MTPconnect with a friends phone that has a custom Android ROM and discovered a problem. His phone mounts perfectly the first time each session, but on each subsequent time that I plug his phone in I have to unplug and plug it in a second time before it will mount. I don't know the issue yet, but I will figure it out and include a fix in version 1.0. For now if you experience something like this just unplug, then plug in again.then post your experience here (please include model and which ROM if you are using a custom ROM). I think this might have something to do with the custom ROM on this phone, but I am not entirely sure yet.
***Blackberry***
It is known that Blackberry playbook and possibly other blackberry devices do not work with go-mtpfs. there is nothing I can do about this, as MTPconnect does not modify go-mtpfs in any way. At the time of this writing I do not know of any good solutions for Blackberry Playbook, but if I come across something I will start a new thread for the topic
Attachments
MTPconnect_0.9.pet
Install this package after you install the go-mtpfs package from Tempestuous, I linked to above.
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 2260 times
Last edited by can8v on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 17:02, edited 3 times in total.

Sylvander

Re: MTPconnect 0.9

#2 Post by Sylvander »

can8v wrote:Note: This application is not compatible with...01micko's similar application...in the case of...01micko's application, simply uninstall the PET package before installing trying this one...
PROBLEM:
I installed 01 micko's pet's [and they are functional], but they don't show in the PPM, or "Check dependencies", so how should I uninstall them?

Is it essential to uninstall them prior to any attempt to installing yours and using it?

Billtoo

MTPconnect 0.9

#3 Post by Billtoo »

I installed the pets in Quirky Tahr 6.0 then rebooted.
Seems to be working fine.
Attachments
nexus7screen.png
(74.27 KiB) Downloaded 5964 times

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Question
Is this version applicable to 64bit PUPs as well as the 32bit PUPs?

can8v

#5 Post by can8v »

gcmartin wrote:Question
Is this version applicable to 64bit PUPs as well as the 32bit PUPs?
It should not make any difference if you are using a 64 or 32 bit puppy.
Edit: Just to be clear. MTPconnect doesn't care if you are using a 64 or 32bit operating system, but you do need to get the correct version of go-mtpfs. They are both available at the link in the first post of this thread. I know that you are already aware of this, but I thought I might include it for other peoples benefit.
Last edited by can8v on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

version2013

#6 Post by version2013 »

Using precise 5.7.1

I install go-mtpfs-20130628.pet

After installing MTPconnect 0.9, starting /root/Startup/MTPconnect.sh, plugging in my device, a new directory appeared: /mnt/M470BSA
A green dot on the directory icon indicating it is mounted.

I unplug my device. /mnt/M470BSA does not go away. I right-click>unmount.

I uninstall MTPconnect 0.9.
I install (like I have done before):
mtp_detect-0.11-exper-noarch.pet
mtpstatus-0.3-i486.pet

I plug in my device. The directory (with the dot), /mnt/M470BSA appears, but none of the contents are accessible.

A dialog appears (at the same time as /mnt/M470BSA appears) that offers to mount my M470BSA. Sometimes it mounts successfully, other times mounting fails. Even if mounting is successful, the contents are not always accessible.

I am not sure what is going on here.

EDIT:
After I uninstalled MTPconnect 0.9., /root/Startup/MTPconnect.sh was still running. Two instances of it actually. After I used sigterm on them, then mounting of my device, and accessing the contents, appeared to work correctly.

EDIT:
I was writing the first edit when this post was replied to. Thanks for the info can8v.
Last edited by version2013 on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 04:16, edited 2 times in total.

can8v

#7 Post by can8v »

version2013 wrote:Using precise 5.7.1

I install go-mtpfs-20130628.pet

After installing MTPconnect 0.9, starting /root/Startup/MTPconnect.sh, plugging in my device, a new directory appeared: /mnt/M470BSA
A green dot on the directory icon indicating it is mounted.

I unplug my device. /mnt/M470BSA does not go away. I right-click>unmount.

I uninstall MTPconnect 0.9.
I install (like I have done before):
mtp_detect-0.11-exper-noarch.pet
mtpstatus-0.3-i486.pet

I plug in my device. The directory (with the dot), /mnt/M470BSA appears, but none of the contents are accessible.

A dialog appears (at the same time as /mnt/M470BSA appears) that offers to mount my M470BSA. Sometimes it mounts successfully, other times mounting fails. Even if mounting is successful, the contents are not always accessible.

I am not sure what is going on here.
The two programs are not compatible as stated in the release notes. It sounds like MTPconnect installed and functioned correctly, then you uninstalled it and reinstalled Mick's program, but did not stop the MTPconnect process first. That is an easy step to miss as it runs in the background and is invisible to the user. Simply open a task manager and kill the MTPconnect.sh program and Mick's program should once again function normally.

I suspect that Mick's application wasn't fully uninstalled when you tried MTPconnect either, as it does not have a right click unmount option, it simply unmounts automatically after you unplug your device. Unfortunately if there is a way to have PPM kill a programs running processes during uninstall I don't know what it is. I will look into this possibility.

can8v

Re: MTPconnect 0.9

#8 Post by can8v »

Sylvander wrote:
can8v wrote:Note: This application is not compatible with...01micko's similar application...in the case of...01micko's application, simply uninstall the PET package before installing trying this one...
PROBLEM:
I installed 01 micko's pet's [and they are functional], but they don't show in the PPM, or "Check dependencies", so how should I uninstall them?

Is it essential to uninstall them prior to any attempt to installing yours and using it?
It is important to not only uninstall, but also to kill the running processes or restart your computer. Since you have the other packages installed and they work, you might try booting with the pfix=ram option to ensure it is not installed then install go-mtpfs and MTPconnect, try it out. If you like this approach better, then we can figure out how to uninstall the other package. Although I cannot imagine why Mick's program doesn't show up in the PPM. That question might be better addressed by him. Using that approach if you decide you don't want to keep using MTPconnect then, just reboot normally and you will be back to your usual setup.

Sylvander

#9 Post by Sylvander »

1. Just now occurred to me that I have a stack of 6 Puppy CD's [with matching pupsave files on the internal HDD], 5 of which don't have any such stuff installed as yet.
So...

a. I installed...
To "Slacko-5.5.91"...
go-mtpfs-20130628.pet
And...
MTPconnect_0.9.pet
Then...

b. When I plugged in the tablet, the Pupcamera window appeared, then an Xfe window appeared.
I used the Xfe window to navigate to the folder/file system under the /mnt/GT-P5110/Tablet folder.
At 1st view there was no content, but as soon as I did something it seems the view refreshed and the content appeared. :D

c. I copied all of the folders/files to a backup folder on a [USB connected] external HDD.
That worked just fine.
So I now have a backup of the content on the tablet. :D

d. Right now, the tablet is still connected, and [all "Copy to" having completed, and having shut down the only Xfe window, and then re-run Xfe] the content can still be seen.
I'm somewhat wary of un-plugging the tablet [without dis-mounting it], even though all operations have completed and all Xfe windows closed.
Can you re-assure me that it's OK to disconnect?
To play safe, I'll close Puppy down and power-off before disconnecting.

can8v

#10 Post by can8v »

Sylvander wrote: At 1st view there was no content, but as soon as I did something it seems the view refreshed and the content appeared. :D
This is because when the application opens your file manager for you it opens it to the mount point. The mount point is actually the parent directory to the directory that contains the content of your device. For example when I plug in my phone The MTPconnect detects the product name as "ANDROID_PHONE" (not real creative on the part of the phone manufacturer), therefore MTPconnect creates the mount point (a directory same as any other) at /mnt/ANDROID_PHONE. The mount point does not contain the actual content of the phone, but rather a content directory (a child directory of the mount point) call NAND_FLASH. So the path to the content is /mnt/ANDROID_PHONE/NAND_FLASH that is where I find my Movies folder for example. So "as soon as [you] did something" it would make sense that you would see some content appear, as you likely opened the content directory. In your case (based on your post) I would say your content directory is "tablet".
Sylvander wrote: I'm somewhat wary of un-plugging the tablet [without dis-mounting it], even though all operations have completed and all Xfe windows closed.
Can you re-assure me that it's OK to disconnect?
To play safe, I'll close Puppy down and power-off before disconnecting.
By making MTPconnect totally automatic I had hoped to spare the end user what I am about to share with you, as most users will never want to know this much detail. It is however, very rational for somebody who has been using computers over the last decade to be skeptical about unplugging a device without unmounting it first, especially Linux users. Linux users tend to be more educated about such issues as they are more exposed to there computer's OS and hardware and its software doesn't generally hide such things in background processes as much as other operating systems. That said. i will briefly explain the reason for unmounting and why it does not apply here.
Until relatively recently almost all devices that stored media that plugged into a USB, FireWire, eSATA, or other such port were block devices. Devices that use MTP are not block devices. They are not mounted as block devices. Each file is mounted individually on an as needed basis. This is why once all files are closed on the device it is safe to unplug it, because essentially it is already unmounted. When the file is closed, that file is essentially unmounted. When all files are closed the device is completely unmounted. This is a purposeful part of the design of the system. This provides one major advantage; both the device and the computer it is connected to can access the NAND flash or SD card at the same time. The inherent disadvantage however, is that say your device deletes or moves a file, your computer will not be aware of the change until the device is remounted (though this is not particularly true in the reverse ie your computer deletes a file your device will see the change).
So why does the go-mtpfs/FUSE layer have an unmount command (fusermount -u)? Linux was not designed with MTP in mind, this is a MS protocol. Linux excpects to mount block devices. go-mtpfs/FUSE layer helps *nix type operating systems mount MTP in much the same way that it mounts block level devices, an adapter or translator if you will. This is why even though your device does not require your computer to unmount prior to disconnection and is just as happy if you don't, your computer is going to experience I/O errors (ie. Transport end point not connected, Symbol look up, and other such errors are quite common). Throughout the course of developing my first automounter for go-mtpfs I encountered 5 different types of errors fairly regularly (if I didn't mount unmount exactly the way prescribed in Tempestuous' original post on go-mtpfs). The go-mtpfs development site states clearly that it is safe to unplug when your files are closed without "unmounting", but that I/O errors will occur. Through the process of testing, retesting and testing hundreds more times I discovered that to be the truth. I never experienced any data integrity problem on my device or my computer if the files were closed prior to disconnecting regardless if I used the fusermount -u command (because if the files are closed the files essentially are not mounted). This did however, cause the expected I/O errors.
That is why I created MTPconnect. MTPconnect completely automates the mount proceedure, detects the protocol of all devices (as either MTP or not MTP) and records that data, so that it only needs to be done once. And most importantly cleans up all of the conditions left on your computer after you unplug your device that would otherwise cause I/O and other errors. With these conditions cleaned up your computers file system is completely accessible. If those conditions are not cleaned up, then the parent directory of the mount point and all of its subdirectories could be rendered inaccessible until they are cleaned up. In our case the mount point is always a sub directory of /mnt that means if these errors are not cleaned up then /mnt and all of its subdirectories would be inaccessible until the error causing conditions are corrected.
On the bright side the FUSE layer comes with all the tools necessary to correct these conditions. The average user however, is not going to go study FUSE, then go to the command line and correct these conditions. I personally don't think that the average user should have to go to that much trouble either. That is why I included this in MTPconnect.
While this is probably more than most people ever wanted to know about MTP, hopefully it will be informative for some people and put your anxiety about unplugging your device without issuing an unmount command to rest. Just to be clear though I am only suggesting this be done with MTP devices. ALL block devices should be unmounted prior to unplugging them, but MTP devices are not block devices.

Sylvander

#11 Post by Sylvander »

1. "The mount point is actually the parent directory to the directory that contains the content of your device".
I was aware of that when trying to find the content, but [at 1st viewing] there was only an EMPTY "tablet" folder, with NO SUB-FOLDERS [or files] below.

2. "it would make sense that you would see some content appear, as you likely opened the content directory".
When I first opened the "tablet" content directory, it was empty....
So I did something [can't remember what]...
Possibly I closed the Xfe window, then re-opened an Xfe window...
And next time around, the content was there. :D

3. "Devices that use MTP are not block devices. They are not mounted as block devices. Each file is mounted individually on an as needed basis. This is why once all files are closed on the device it is safe to unplug it, because essentially it is already unmounted. When the file is closed, that file is essentially unmounted. When all files are closed the device is completely unmounted."
Thank you for the detailed explanation.
I read it a couple of times, and believe I understand.
I certainly get the general idea.
Nice to hear that your program cleans up afterward, and there will be no nasty after effects from un-plugging the tablet.

slavvo67

#12 Post by slavvo67 »

It worked in Quirky 6.1.4 (non-Tahr) with my Amazon Kindle Fire HD. Great work!

Thank you,

Slavvo67

can8v

#13 Post by can8v »

slavvo67 wrote:It worked in Quirky 6.1.4 (non-Tahr) with my Amazon Kindle Fire HD. Great work!

Thank you,

Slavvo67
Thank you, and your welcome.

slavvo67

#14 Post by slavvo67 »

In using MTPconnect, it initially made a directory under root/my-applications/bin with the Kindle and all of its sub-directories. The second time, the same directory was blank so I kept rebooting to try and fix ... no luck. Then, after about 5 reboots, I noticed through Rox-Filer that the Kindle mounted as mnt/Kindle (which it may have been doing all along). Is this an error of some sort or it MTPconnect designed to do this? I actually liked the folder showing up in root (for carving purposes) but it's not a big deal. I just didn't know it was mounting until I went into Rox-Filer to check.

Best,

Slavvo67

can8v

#15 Post by can8v »

MTPconnect never mounts under root. It will always mount under /mnt/(product_name). Think perhaps you just didn't realize the actual mount point the first go around. At any rate simply unplugging your Kindle and plugging it back in should cause ROX to open to the mount point.

slavvo67

#16 Post by slavvo67 »

I see. So it was probably the go-mtpfs that did something in the root. No worries. I'm just glad it works!

Best,

Slavvo67

gcmartin

#17 Post by gcmartin »

slavvo67 wrote:...something in the root. ...
Hi @Slavvo67,

You could alway create a relative link of the /mnt/Kindle in your root folder. That, I'm sure, will achieve your needs, too.

Hope this helps

Ted Dog

#18 Post by Ted Dog »

bump to top for Raj to find MTP :D

can8v

#19 Post by can8v »

slavvo67 wrote:I see. So it was probably the go-mtpfs that did something in the root. No worries. I'm just glad it works!

Best,

Slavvo67
That is a possibility, I know the first go-mtpfs that Tempestuous put out creates a folder /root/MTP (or similar, just going off memory). The new one creates /mnt/MTPdevice. MTPconnect however, doesn't use either of those directories. I decided two things a little late in the development cycle:
1.) That the mount point should include the device name reported by the device in the directory name.
2.) As soon as the device is disconnected the mount point should be cleaned up and the directory removed completely.
The reason for number 2 above that noncomputer savvy users or even nonlinux savvy users my see the empty directory after the device is disconnected and assume the computer think the device is still connected. Since most of these devices are WiFi enabled it entirely possible for people to even think the device is somehow still connected. They could even put files in that folder, then when MTPconnect would try to remount the device the next time they plug it in, it wouldn't work because there is a safety feature to keep you from mounting to a nonempty drive. This process of only have the mount point exist as long as the device is connected solved all of those problems.
Though I am wondering if your file manager is opening to the mount point of your device when you plug it in or if you are having to manually open it. Also which file manager are you using. I included support for most of the filemanagers in the Puppy landscape, but if it doesn't automatically open to the correct folder for your device then I may missed one.

can8v

#20 Post by can8v »

gcmartin wrote:
slavvo67 wrote:...something in the root. ...
Hi @Slavvo67,

You could alway create a relative link of the /mnt/Kindle in your root folder. That, I'm sure, will achieve your needs, too.

Hope this helps
This is a good point. I put the mount point under /mnt so it would be where all the other hard drives, CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, SD cards, Flash Drives, External drives, Cameras, etc. are mounted. I personally thought it made since to keep it together, but I know of at least one other person that als prefers it under root. I personally removed many of the folders in root and moved them outside the save file, so I no longer have to worry about it filling up all the time or constantly moving files, so it doesn't fill up. Also on my system any scripts that I write I keep outside of the save file, and symlink them into the /root/my-applications/bin directory or Startup directory, so that they not only don't take up space in my save file, but also are available to every pupppy I have installed (currently three of them). Sym linking things to your /root directory can be very beneficial.