Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Sep 2014, 03:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Youtube Challenge
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
itisix

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun 2014, 09:22    Post subject:  

But shouldn't HTML5 run smoother?
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun 2014, 10:38    Post subject:  

IF you have a video card supporting it otherwise I find it uses more cpu than flash....but hey its marvellous for those that do Very Happy . Bit like web pages that need hi speed broadband , this weeks browser and a quad core to be seen .

Amazing really that say streaming xvid can play smoothly full screen on a pentium 3 but methods chosen for the web require considerable techinical resources...small rant there. Its more about market control (google vs MS vs adobe etc) than the best system for the job.

Mike
itisix

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2014, 14:54    Post subject:  

Sad to say, but my puppy experience has been a total flop. Not only did I not get to play youtube videos decently, the drive mounting on the dvd player and USB is, at best, poor. Half the time puppy doesn't even know they are there. I was thinking about xbmc with this tiny win xp I use, but xp has been dropped by xbmc. I'll try openelec and maybe android on the pc (maybe... no java). Puppy looks and feels good, but in this case it has not suited me.

Thanks guys
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2014, 16:28    Post subject:  

Quote:
but xp has been dropped by xbmc.

are they working for microsoft Very Happy ..open source that would make bill G proud...

no problem...in the end you go with what works

mike
itisix

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2014, 05:57    Post subject:  

Quote:
As you may have read, the official Microsoft support for Windows XP will ended at April 8th, 2014. This means the end of life for this 13 years old operating system which has fulfilled it’s purpose. After this date there will be no more updates any more, plugging possible security leaks. At the same time we have also ended support for Windows XP in the upcoming XBMC 13.0 release. It’s time to let go and move on. Some of you may still be using Windows XP including XBMC and are now becoming vulnerable in near future.
What are the options

There are several options to explore which vary in costs and difficulty depending on your skills. So let’s sum them up.

The most expensive is throwing away the hardware and just buying a new one. In this day and age it’s better to save a few bucks and keep using the old hardware of course. Be mindful that when you think you are savings some cash you might actually be spending more than you think. Older hardware have the tendency to be more power hungry than newer and smaller devices. So it could be, that after a few months you would have been better of buying new hardware. Especially when you are going to use it as a HTPC, that will be running couple of hours a day or longer. All this of course depends on the hardware you own, want to buy and your specific needs.

endofxp_to_win7-8_linux

Either way, you have to decide which operating system you are going to be using, except of course if you are buying an Android device. You could choose again for a Windows based solution and buy a Windows 7 or 8 license. Another option is to go for one of the free Linux distributions available that have become more user-friendly for the less technical people. Each option has their pros and cons. The internet is filled with information to help you go through this.

Disclaimer: There are a many pros and cons on what flavour operating system you should use and everyone has their own opinion. We will not venture into this territory. Please do your own research on the web as there are many reviews and tutorials out there. We simply want to point out the options available to replace the old Windows XP when you want to keep using XBMC “safely”.
HTPC use only

DL_Icons_Linux-newIf you are planning to use your hardware as an HTPC only device, we would highly advice to use one of the available Linux options. This saves you the cost of purchasing a Windows license and they almost fulfil the same purpose. If you still want to have some desktop environment you could go for Ubuntu or our own XBMCbuntu which has XBMC pre-packaged into it. This saves you some hassle if you are not Linux familiar. There are cases you still need Windows. For example when you need to play encrypted bluray discs, for which you need an external player or need Microsoft Silverlight to play some web content.

openelec_logoIf you don’t need any desktop environment, the best option is to install OpenELEC. It’s a small, fast and easy to install Linux distro which includes XBMC as a dedicated media centre. The installation is quite simple when following the tutorial. OpenELEC boots directly to your favourite media centre software which is XBMC within seconds (depending on hardware). Development of OpenELEC is in close connection with Team XBMC and general support for it is great. They not only offer it for regular hardware, but also for the immensely popular Raspberry-Pi. If you are eager to try it out but are reluctant to completely wipe you current operating system to install it? No worries. You can just install it on some empty USB stick or SDCARD (given that’s adequate in size), plug it in in your computer and you are set to take it for a test drive.

Important:

http://xbmc.org is the only official place anything XBMC related. This includes news, announcements, information or any XBMC installation downloads. There are of course manufacturers who also provide support with customized XBMC versions, tailored for their devices. Should you have purchased from them it would be wise to first check if it’s a known issue with that specific version. Any other third-party websites, offering you XBMC installations, or people offering you pre-installed devices, are not officially supported by Team XBMC and may contain unwanted and unsupported additions, changes and add-ons. Installing these versions is at your own risk. XBMC does not provide any media content on it’s own and comes with no add-ons installed regarding this. Should you have problems please contact the correct add-on developer or website should you experience any issues.

In the end, compatibility is always going to be the key issue. Even tough android doesn't run java, I find that some os the apps (especially youtube) are quite interesting in the way they make use of little resources. Computing is changing and the new generation iOS, Android and such are taking the fore. Linux (in general) was a little slow to react but I'm sure we can expect good things in the future. Microsoft was also slow to react and they have big, big pockets.
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2014, 16:01    Post subject:  

But building a win32 app that works on anything is not really that hard and the security thing is bollocks. The causes of insecurity are not fixed through updates but a removal of insecure systems. A lame reason for dropping support with third party software. And not everyone went for the pentium 4 and similar power guzzlers either... a dead end of cpu design and Intel knew it but they wanted to squeeze more money out of the design.

Whatever..I care not and save a fortune while remaining safe and there plenty of good software out there without those who decide what we the end user should be using...isn't that our choice? Move on to what..same software performing the same function using the same apis?

androids etc..well getting away from the intel mindset/hardware can only be a good move..more efficient processors will produce better results....as long as it does not become a one company domain like the PC did for so long.

what was the question Very Happy

mike
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug 2014, 13:45    Post subject:  

Forum member yamnaka has an interesting thread here regarding viewing youtube videos on a k6 450MHz machine running Puppy Arcade.
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug 2014, 16:38    Post subject:  

Yeah greengeek...I just realised he was transcoding...seems way over the top for the job and I think he just needs either a way to download or a newer media player...its how made it work on a pentium 2....I feel spoilt with pentium 3's Very Happy

mike
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug 2014, 19:55    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
.I just realised he was transcoding...seems way over the top for the job and I think he just needs either a way to download or a newer media player.
Humour me and slap me with a wet fish - what is this transcoding thing? and where is it being done? I just had a look at his post on the french forum and I think he is suggesting to pass a different url to the slower PC so that it is receiving a different data stream from a different website that is doing some on-the-fly recoding of the YT vid on behalf of his cpu. Is that whats happening??
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug 2014, 05:15    Post subject:  

Yes ...he is using vlc on a fast machine to download and transcode and re-transmit to the machine that cannot handle the videos directly.... pretty sure thats what he is saying.

mike
stevielee

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 20:42    Post subject: A few responses in one conenient package  

On the subject of these youtube videosa - I do not think that it is possible to use an old processor to simultaneously handle downloading a video, transcode it, decode it, and render it while running the OS and the media player. Please correct me if I am wrong . I am trying to understand digital video myself. My Pentium 3 takes all day to scale down a 20 min 720p video to 480p via ffmpeg. Maybe the user can take advantage of his graphics card in this case somehow.

Does anyone think that Linux is behind the times relative to the ARM-based platforms? And can one play flash videos on Android or not?

Also, there was an early mention of WYSE thin clients at the start of this thread. I hate those things - just my own personal opinion - you can't start Puppy on a flash drive in such a situation. So any public access like at a library or such is dead in the water.
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug 2014, 04:33    Post subject:  

Quote:
And can one play flash videos on Android or not?

yes....badly.
You have to jump through hoops to get it working and the results are poor.
Those devices are pretty much locked into google and its webm stuff. If you spoof android on a PC you get a taste of it Very Happy
In other words ONLY watch TV from us.....

I had an Android for a week... a fancy one it seems cos it could use an SD card !!! ...that was enough for me. I sold it and got a Lenovo .... which incidentally converts videos real fast.

Pentium 3... yes no way... he was using a separate fast machine to do that...the slow machine was only playing the reduced result.

mike
Page 4 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: