System stops booting from CD-R/W

Booting, installing, newbie
wackjob

System stops booting from CD-R/W

#1 Post by wackjob »

I'm new to this distro but have used LiveCD's before(Knoppix, for one). I burned the ISO of v1.0.3 that I got from http://goosee.com/puppy & tried booting from it w/ the CD in my burning drive. I get an initial, very hard to identify grey/black screen at which time I hit "Enter". The system begins to start up, I can see it indentifying my system hardware etc. but it halts at a line just after it has read some information regarding USB. As nothing happens for awhile, I'll hit enter again but still nothing happens, page will just drop 1 line. I tried to type something like "logon" but then an error message seems to indicate a problem with "scancode of keyboard"??? I have a wireless USB keyboard, could that be the problem? At this point I don't think I'm able to type commands; all that is accepted is the "Enter" key. Text will show but apparently has no other effect.

Please help! :cry:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It may be your USB keyboard, but not because it is wireless. I have a wireless keyboard that works fine with Puppy, but it is PS/2 (I think that's what it is called.)

I seem to recall other reports in the forum of trouble with USB keyboards at boot. If you can find an old PS/2 keyboard, try it and see what happens.