L18L

Fatdog64-630 Final (February 11 2014)

#16 Post by L18L »

Code: Select all

export TEXTDOMAIN=fatdog
# performance tweak - use "C" if there is no localisation
! [ -e $TEXTDOMAINDIR/${LANG%.*}/LC_MESSAGES/$TEXTDOMAIN.mo ] &&
! [ -e $TEXTDOMAINDIR/${LANG%_*}/LC_MESSAGES/$TEXTDOMAIN.mo ] && LANG=C
That means without a fatdog.mo you cannot ad locale neither. en_AU nor en_US.UTF-8. Right?

Billtoo

#17 Post by Billtoo »

kirk wrote: Yes, check that your Radeon card is a HD5000 or newer. It is a beta driver from AMD, but it's the only one that supports the Xserver that's included.
Quirky Tahr reports that my ati card is:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 12 Feb 2014 on Quirky Tahr 6.0.4 Linux 3.12.6 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Oland [Radeon HD 8570 / R7 240 OEM]
oem: AMD ATOMBIOS
product: OLAND 01.00

The only OS that supports it fully so far is Windows 8.0/8.1 and I
don't use that much.
Ubuntu 13.10 has hardware acceleration but there is a small square in
the lower right of the screen saying unsupported graphics card.
Fatdog 630 ati pet gives fglrx driver but no hardware acceleration so
partial support.

jamesbond

#18 Post by jamesbond »

kirk wrote:
The FAQ link on top doesn't work as in ends with htm rather than html.
Can't duplicate that, make sure you're using a new save-file.
Kirk, that was the link on the first post of this thread. I fixed it :)
L18L wrote:That means without a fatdog.mo you cannot ad locale neither. en_AU nor en_US.UTF-8. Right?
Yes. To get a proper localisation one has to:
a) download the glibc_locales
b) have the fatdog.mo
Otherwise it won't work anyway so may as well optimise it out. Actually it will only affect the stuff in the script itself since LANG isn't exported; the rest of the commands (grep awk sed etc) will still run with the original LANG. Hmmm perhaps I should export LANG too ...
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Ted Dog

#19 Post by Ted Dog »

machine is newish Win8 laptop.

what command does the report..

0.0 VGA com.... :?:

I have both on the laptop..

Billtoo

#20 Post by Billtoo »

Ted Dog wrote:machine is newish Win8 laptop.

what command does the report..

0.0 VGA com.... :?:

I have both on the laptop..
Here's a link to the pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 97&t=69326

Gobbi

#21 Post by Gobbi »

Billtoo wrote:

Fatdog 630 ati pet gives fglrx driver but no hardware acceleration so
partial support.
I confirm that too...

After installing the pet I can see the Catalyst GUI only once... VLC and Xine with hardware acceleration made X crash...

Razor Panel on the other side is solid and stable. I miss the blinking of Network Status Monitor , but I could install and run the Frisbee pet for that...
WpaGui didn't see the usb wireless device until the first restart of the network , but after that it worked just fine as usual.
I wonder why integrating both browsers though...
I also observed that the two windows that invite to make a savefile were not affected by Gtk-theme change...
Attachments
windows with theme not changed.jpg
(92.24 KiB) Downloaded 1434 times
catalyst.jpg
catayst seen once
(78.4 KiB) Downloaded 1444 times

Ted Dog

#22 Post by Ted Dog »

AMD Radeon HD 7290 Graphics
from Catalyst Control Center within new Fatdog64 630

Billtoo

Fatdog64-630 Final (February 11 2014)

#23 Post by Billtoo »

Installed to a 16gb usb 3.0 flash drive.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 12 Feb 2014 on Fatdog64 630 Linux 3.12.9 x86_64
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller (rev 09)
oem: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0
X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.15.0
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Desktop
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.0.3

Working well so far.
Attachments
image-4.jpg
(186.83 KiB) Downloaded 1146 times
screenshot.jpg
(52.93 KiB) Downloaded 1309 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

prehistoric

#24 Post by prehistoric »

Now running essentially everything on 630, mostly without problems.

One problem has turned up with the embedded nVidia graphics in the M2NPV-VM motherboard. When I leave it running for hours in a room at ordinary room temperatures the cursor disappears. Restarting the x server is not enough to recover, I have to reboot. I'm pretty sure the timing shifts as the chip heats up, but this does not stop it from coming up fine on immediate reboot.

As I recall from past experience with other systems on this motherboard this does not happen with official nVidia drivers. It would be nice to have those when possible.

In the meantime, this is not a killer. If I'm not doing anything important I can just hit crtl-alt-backspace to go to a console, then type reboot. I've had some fairly amusing problems working with the invisible cursor when I'm in the middle of an operation I don't want to terminate. If I'm only running for a short time, I never see this. It only happens when I leave the machine running Fatdog 630 for hours.

With other systems there are workarounds for invisible cursor syndrome. Do these apply here?

gcmartin

#25 Post by gcmartin »

As fast as ever.

6 issues:
  • Openshot: "Fails to open" an mp4 video for edit - Resolved: User error.
  • @Kirk resolved this over 3 years ago. My ethercard for DHCP is eth1. Where the system used to start correctly over eth1 for the past 3 years, it has ceased
  • The terminal commands "update"/"updatedb" which is suppose to support the locate command do not work
  • Dont know if its intentional, but no way to Control Panel on Main Menu; must hit mouse 2 on desktop to find it. But, did notice its icon on the taskbar
  • Added additional desktops before entering ControlPanel>Localization>SetLocale; upon setting selected the option to allow X resttart. When desktop restarted, additional desktops were reset to the 2 at startup.Repeated same procedure and got the same results. The procedure Right-click desktop>Openbox>Add New Desktop (several times for multiples) THEN enter Control Panel as described.
  • Each item I select in Control Panel gets X restart Localizations, Hostname, etc. (Maybe an option for BarryK's "FirstRUN" where all of this is set in a single screen may be a good future option for FATDOG)
Testing has just started.

L18L

Re: Fatdog64-630 Final (February 11 2014)

#26 Post by L18L »

L18L wrote:

export TEXTDOMAIN=fatdog
# performance tweak - use "C" if there is no localisation
! [ -e $TEXTDOMAINDIR/${LANG%.*}/LC_MESSAGES/$TEXTDOMAIN.mo ] &&
! [ -e $TEXTDOMAINDIR/${LANG%_*}/LC_MESSAGES/$TEXTDOMAIN.mo ] && LANG=C
That means without a fatdog.mo you cannot ad locale neither. en_AU nor en_US.UTF-8. Right?
No.
We can
I have done it.

It was just that if you launch setlocale again you are told that your locale is C.

Here is my fix for /usr/sbin/fatdog-choose-locale.sh:

export TEXTDOMAIN=fatdog

### configuration
#APPTITLE="$(gettext 'Fatdog64 Locale Selector')"
SUPPORTED_GLIBC_LOCALES=/usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
LOCALE_DEF_DIR=/usr/share/i18n/locales
LOCALE_DIR=/usr/lib64/locale
LANG_CONFIG=$FATDOG_STATE_DIR/language	# read by /etc/profile and xwin
CACHE_DIR=/var/cache/${0##*/}
CACHE_FILE=$CACHE_DIR/cache
COUNT_FILE=$CACHE_DIR/count
FIXED_LOCALES_DIR=$CACHE_DIR/locales
WORKDIR=/tmp/${0##*/}.$$

[ "$LANG" = "C" ] && read LANG<$LANG_CONFIG
APPTITLE="$(gettext 'Fatdog64 Locale Selector')"
Attachments
my_current_locale_is_not_C.png
(9.25 KiB) Downloaded 1164 times

chiron²

#27 Post by chiron² »

Downloaded the ISO, extracted vmlinuz and initrd, copied them into a directory and edited GRUB's menu.lst accordingly. No savefile. Started up OK, noticeably faster bootup than 600 (on my machine at least). Screen and graphics recognition are OK. Network: setting up static IP over wireless is a little 'old school', but works OK. I miss some blinking globe or something to tell me I'm online.

Firefox takes more than 5 seconds to start, but that's the case in FD600 and slacko64, too. Probably getting a little bloated.

closing the lid works fine, puts the machine into suspend. Opening the lid up again, disks spin up, screen flickers, screen stays black with backlight on. No reaction whatsoever to Mouse/Keyboard. Hard poweroff and restarting, everything works, need to do everything again, no savefile yet. Creating savefile and rebooting, shutting the lid, opening back up, and almost the same behaviour, but now I get an PCI error, something to do with CPU0, stating 'dazed and confused, but I try to continue', not very succesful. Machine is a ThinkPad R500, Intel Core2Duo, ATI HD3400, 4 GB RAM, frugal install with 1 GB savefile.

One question, what distro's repositories can I use (inside the FD paket manager) to get additional software?

prehistoric

#28 Post by prehistoric »

chiron² wrote:...I miss some blinking globe or something to tell me I'm online...
ditto here.

I'm also getting some hangs on boot up which I have not analyzed because I can't see anything. Could be a problem with console video driver. May not be your problem at all, just asking others to report similar problems. (This only happens on this machine with the ASUS M2NPV-VM AMD/nVidia motherboard, not with the laptop with all Intel chips.)

prehistoric

fix for quote in Fatdog package manager script

#29 Post by prehistoric »

Here's the simple fix to get downloaded file names in the message box of the package manager script. Single quotes prevent evaluation of $FILE. I've included the first few lines to show context. The fix is a one-liner.

download_file() {
	local wgetpid progress
	local FILE MSG
	FILE=$1
	MSG="$(eval_gettext 'Downloading '$FILE '...')"

joaomcteixeira

#30 Post by joaomcteixeira »

(Okay, it looks like now a found the correct topic :P)

Hi there!

I just installed FatDog 630 from 11 February! It looks like a great work! Congratz!! :D

I am having some trouble though.

I am trying to run dropbox,
I installed it from a PET from http://sourceforge.net/projects/puppyst ... /Internet/

Using the menu icon it won't start. so I went to:

Code:
# cd /usr/share/dropbox/
# ls
dropbox
# ./dropbox
sh: ./dropbox: No such file or directory
#

And I got that "No such file or directory" error...

it happened the same for firefox. (later I installed nighty from repos)

any clues why this error??

thank you!

p.s. - why not dropbox in repos? :wink:

L18L

#31 Post by L18L »

joaomcteixeira wrote:Code:
# cd /usr/share/dropbox/
# ls
dropbox
# ./dropbox
sh: ./dropbox: No such file or directory
#

And I got that "No such file or directory" error...

it happened the same for firefox. (later I installed nighty from repos)

any clues why this error??
Executables are usually not under /usr/share/

# which firefox
/usr/bin/firefox
# 
try

which dropbox

jamesbond

#32 Post by jamesbond »

RE: Catalyst drivers - I think you guys got it lucky with it up and running (without the promised acceleration perhaps, but at least up and running). All I got here in my dual-radeon laptop is a black screen :( Anyway, as Kirk said, it is a beta driver ...
prehistoric wrote:With other systems there are workarounds for invisible cursor syndrome. Do these apply here?
Do you have links for these? I do have a desktop that uses embedded nVidia graphics (an old one by today's standard) but I don't run it long enough for this to happen.
As I recall from past experience with other systems on this motherboard this does not happen with official nVidia drivers. It would be nice to have those when possible.
Yes, it's coming, but don't get your hopes too high. We use a very recent Xorg version (1.15.0) and in the recent past all attempts to build a working package has failed (smokey can attest to this).
The terminal commands "update"/"updatedb" which is suppose to support the locate command do not work
EDIT: You need devx installed for this to work.
Added additional desktops before entering ControlPanel>Localization>SetLocale; upon setting selected the option to allow X resttart. When desktop restarted, additional desktops were reset to the 2 at startup.
Yes, this is a regression, as L18L pointed out in post before and after yours. Your chosen locale is in fact used, but every time the choose locale will always show "C" as your current locale.
L18L wrote:No. We can I have done it.
I was being an idiot for not seeing the obvious. Fixed.
Each item I select in Control Panel gets X restart Localizations, Hostname, etc. (Maybe an option for BarryK's "FirstRUN" where all of this is set in a single screen may be a good future option for FATDOG)
You can always say "No" to the prompt and only restarts them on the final change ...
chiron wrote:closing the lid works fine, puts the machine into suspend. Opening the lid up again, disks spin up, screen flickers, screen stays black with backlight on
I get the same result as you. I never get "resume" to work with my radeon-based laptop. Kirk has been more successful with Intel graphics. I don't have a solution here unless you can point out a version of Puppy (Slacko, Dpup or whatever) that has the suspend feature working for you; and perhaps we can apply the lesson from them.
One question, what distro's repositories can I use (inside the FD paket manager) to get additional software?
Fatdog is not based on any other distro. Thus there isn't any other distro list in the Package Manager. You may be able to use Debian amd64 packages from the time of Fatdog64 600 was first built (early 2012) - can't remember the series name now. Download them, then click to install the DEBs --- do not attempt to install directly from the browser.
...I miss some blinking globe or something to tell me I'm online...
There may be a way to re-create that blinking network icon.
Last edited by jamesbond on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

joaomcteixeira

#33 Post by joaomcteixeira »

there is no dropbox on which.

The thing is,

I am trying to run an executable file from a folder, which I can see in the file manager and in the terminal and than I get the error

"No such file your directory"

I can see the file, but when I go to run the systems says the file is "not there".

never got this error before..

the problem with firefox was similar. I downloaded the firefox.tar from the website, unpacked it, ./firefox (like allways).... "No such file your directory".

:shock:

jamesbond

#34 Post by jamesbond »

joaomcteixeira wrote:there is no dropbox on which.

The thing is,

I am trying to run an executable file from a folder, which I can see in the file manager and in the terminal and than I get the error

"No such file your directory"

I can see the file, but when I go to run the systems says the file is "not there".
Where do you install the dropbox from?
never got this error before..

the problem with firefox was similar. I downloaded the firefox.tar from the website, unpacked it, ./firefox (like allways).... "No such file your directory".

:shock:
Which firefox did you install? Are you sure you get the 64-bit version?

L18L

Re: fix for quote in Fatdog package manager script

#35 Post by L18L »

prehistoric wrote:Here's the simple fix to get downloaded file names in the message box of the package manager script. Single quotes prevent evaluation of $FILE. I've included the first few lines to show context. The fix is a one-liner.

download_file() {
	local wgetpid progress
	local FILE MSG
	FILE=$1
	MSG="$(eval_gettext 'Downloading '$FILE '...')"
Don't know what you want to fix....

But here is a working fix for line 195 of /usr/sbin/fatdog/package-manager.sh:

#		gtk gtk_progress_bar_set_text $DL_PROGRESS "$MSG" $progress
		gtk gtk_progress_bar_set_text $DL_PROGRESS ""$MSG"" $progress
and let

download_file() {
	local wgetpid progress
	local FILE MSG
	FILE=$1
	MSG="$(eval_gettext 'Downloading $FILE ...')"
untouched.

Attachments
FPM_downloading_FILE.png
file name permanently in progress bar now
(10.9 KiB) Downloaded 1925 times
Last edited by L18L on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.