working pretty well.
Attempted upload the the contrib repository failed, problem with
Captcha (whatever that is)
Attachments
qupzilla.jpg
(36.99 KiB) Downloaded 781 times

DrDeaf

#152 Post by DrDeaf »

I use the googletalk plugin sometimes and previous FD64 versions (seamonkey browser) have worked with the 64 bit deb package.

FD630 has firefox and the plugin breaks it completely. Firefox will not start.

I don't have any suggestion about why but it would be helpful to make it work if possible.

prehistoric

Re: Fatdog64-630 Final (February 11 2014)

#153 Post by prehistoric »

Billtoo wrote:...
Attempted upload the the contrib repository failed, problem with
Captcha (whatever that is)
CAPTCHA.

kpfuser

#154 Post by kpfuser »

I am new to fatdog64-630. In fact I have only tried the live cd so far. Because I intend to run fatdog as a live cd only, I need to familiarize myself with its remastering process. In the past, I have remastered and run as live cds several versions of NOP but it appears that the remastering method for fatdog is different than the one for NOP variants. So far Ted Dog has been very helpful by giving me a lot of useful info on how to go about it. However, since this would be the first attempt at remastering fatdog, I need to clarify a few thing first. The first of these is the following: Once I begin the remastering process, can I abort it without running into problems? If I remember correctly, this is not the case with remastering NOPs (once you start, you must finish). Is it the same with remastering fatdog?

gcmartin

#155 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @DrDeaf

You may want to install SeaMonkey to your setup from the FATDOG Package Manager. Or, another option, too, is Chrome.

Hope this helps

gcmartin

#156 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @KPFuser

This post does NOT answer your question directly. But, instead, offers an options where Remaster is NOT needed.

If you intend to run via DVD (this is the ONLY way FATDOG620+ is supported). you can allow the system to save-session to the DVD at shutdown. In my years of using FATDOG via DVD, I have NEVER run out of space in my use. So, Remaster has not been needed as my total FATDOG experience, year to year, is via the same DVD. (BTW, I have run into several problems in my personal use of remaster, as changes to certain libraries operating in the running system are NOT replicated in the Remaster, causing a hit-or-miss effort in replication of the running system).

Hope this helps

jamesbond

#157 Post by jamesbond »

ss7box wrote:05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
Did you try to enable broadcom-wl service from the Control Panel --> Service Manager?
Ted Dog wrote:James Bond could you post the link for running 32bit iso side by side here.
It's here.
Ted Dog wrote:I can't save as under Android so it needs to be in a package format.
Why do you want do download it to Android? Anyway, done. Just add ".gz" to the URL.
Also could the same idea run Quirky6 In the package form its given for download by BK?
Indeed. Remember my teaser picture here? It was done with Fatdog64 with no need for unsquashing the SFS file.
DrDeaf wrote:I use the googletalk plugin sometimes and previous FD64 versions (seamonkey browser) have worked with the 64 bit deb package.

FD630 has firefox and the plugin breaks it completely. Firefox will not start.

I don't have any suggestion about why but it would be helpful to make it work if possible.
Just tried to install it in a pristine 630, and it works, but apparently the install script doesn't work properly.
I need to remove that DEB-compatible install script.

Here's how to get it up and running. Download the plugin, choose 64-bit deb. Save it. DO NOT run from from the browser.
When finished downloading, DO NOT CLICK on the file. Instead, open the terminal containing the .deb files, and we will expand it manually.
From terminal:
1. undeb google-talk-plugin-amd64.deb
2. mv opt/google /opt
3. mv usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/* /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
Restart browser. When I have time I will prepare a pet package that does all of this.

Btw 630 comes with *both* seamonkey and firefox. You can start seamonkey by typing "seamonkey" or "seamonkey-spot" on the usual Alt-F2 run dialog; or from terminal.
The first of these is the following: Once I begin the remastering process, can I abort it without running into problems?
Didn't try to do that myself; but if your question is "will it break the running system" then the answer is "no". At worst it will leave some temporary files which will be wiped out the next time you reboot.

EDIT: typo.
Last edited by jamesbond on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 07:32, edited 2 times in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Ted Dog

#158 Post by Ted Dog »

android phone required a data plan so I use it to download linux stuff and save trips into town for internet. Can download package formats fine but text just displays in browser without option to save to memory.. Im cheap sorry fixed gov income.
Second suprised my most common 64bit machine and newest one has vm abilities turned off in hardware firmware. I did not know it could be removed so it was a shocked.
Could not do that as you discribed using VB.

jamesbond

#159 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:android phone required a data plan so I use it to download linux stuff and save trips into town for internet. Can download package formats fine but text just displays in browser without option to save to memory.. Im cheap sorry fixed gov income.
No that's not an excuse :lol: I recently had to get my internet through GPRS as well through android phone; so what I did was I enabled "portable hotspot" and let the phone work as a router. All my usual access is from the laptop. Worked quite well and sometimes the speed is faster than my regular internet (!), what was killing me is the low data quota ... :oops:
Second suprised my most common 64bit machine and newest one has vm abilities turned off in hardware firmware. I did not know it could be removed so it was a shocked.
I think it has been a while. If you have access to BIOS you can usually enable them.
Could not do that as you discribed using VB.
I thought VB can run even without hardware VM capabilities? It has been a while since I tested that, though.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Ted Dog

#160 Post by Ted Dog »

yes you can easily upgrade phone plan to gain hotspot and wired tethering for an additional 20 bucks a month. America will charge you extra any way they can. even if the remove the built in methods and then charge you to turn them on..

jamesbond

#161 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:yes you can easily upgrade phone plan to gain hotspot and wired tethering for an additional 20 bucks a month. America will charge you extra any way they can. even if the remove the built in methods and then charge you to turn them on..
Ouch! I didn't know about that, sorry :oops:

gcmartin

#162 Post by gcmartin »

@Ted Dog has shared in the past that he has sometimes been able to download stuff to his phone when away from home, then load it on his home system when he returns. In doing so, he uses WiFi connections when away from home so as not to use his "Cell" component's data plan.

This is normal and customary. Telcos charges are incurred for any traffic, voice or data, that goes over the cell network. And do not charge when smartDevice is used via a WiFi connection.

I do the same thing.
BTW: 01Micko describes a smartPhone implementation where the phone is a modem on behalf of a PC when wired to the PC. Click here.

Ted Dog

#163 Post by Ted Dog »

yep network of friends and family and coffee shops supply my internet needs :D so a little heads up when you release a fatdog64 version I rush to town to download it. Even if it requires me to download it from a friends drive way using their wifi after I already left once before...
Cops do stop to remind you that stealing wifi without permission is against the law. Twice so far I have been talked to. :twisted: Android has been a G-d send the iPhone my family forced on me as a gift since I could not get those cute kid or dog pictures on my rotary phone.. just kidding I had a brick phone with big real buttons.
I have no need to shell out 40 bucks to see a pic or facetime with family whatever that is.. :wink: So Im on a family plan and they pay for me the forced dataplan.

kpfuser

#164 Post by kpfuser »

gcmartin wrote:Hi @KPFuser

This post does NOT answer your question directly. But, instead, offers an options where Remaster is NOT needed.
Maybe what follows does not answer my question directly, but in terms of solving my problem it is right on the mark indeed!
If you intend to run via DVD (this is the ONLY way FATDOG620+ is supported). you can allow the system to save-session to the DVD at shutdown.
But of course! This is as brilliant as it is simple!!! This is a fantastic work-around to remastering! Just save the sessions that result in system changes and dump the rest! Wow! My puppy experience has turned promising again!
In my years of using FATDOG via DVD, I have NEVER run out of space in my use. So, Remaster has not been needed as my total FATDOG experience, year to year, is via the same DVD. (BTW, I have run into several problems in my personal use of remaster, as changes to certain libraries operating in the running system are NOT replicated in the Remaster, causing a hit-or-miss effort in replication of the running system).
I do not anticipate any space problems either as I intend to save to the DVD only the sessions that introduce changes in my system, i.e., software installation, personalization, etc. In all other cases I will go for the "don't save" option, something that I have done all along, relying on removable media or online storage for saving useful data generated in a given session.
Hope this helps
You bet it has! A very big THANK YOU indeed!

toomanyquestions

QT Theme Config Tool?

#165 Post by toomanyquestions »

Is there is a config .pet?
Last edited by toomanyquestions on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 16:46, edited 4 times in total.

neerajkolte

#166 Post by neerajkolte »

Ted Dog wrote:Can download package formats fine but text just displays in browser without option to save to memory..
Hi Ted I also use android to download when at work and tether my net connection to my pc through wired or wifi hotspot wen at home.
I use ucbrowser mini on my android. I just pess n hold on link and select "save as" from the context menu that appears it will save the text file insted of opening it.
Ted Dog wrote: yes you can easily upgrade phone plan to gain hotspot and wired tethering for an additional 20 bucks a month. America will charge you extra any way they can. even if the remove the built in methods and then charge you to turn them on.. .
I have never came across any android with tethering restricted in India. Do you have rooted phone? If yes, I am sure there might be a way to turn it on yourself, I don't think telcos will detect it. But got to do research first. ;)
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-630 Final (February 11 2014)

#167 Post by Billtoo »

I burned the Fatdog64-630.iso to a DVD+RW.
It took several sessions to add pets,set password,and setup the
wireless network.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sat 1 Mar 2014 on Fatdog64 630 Linux 3.12.9 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 6611
oem: AMD ATOMBIOS
product: OLAND 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver: fglrx
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 8570
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.12618 Core Profile Context 13.251

# glxgears
19559 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3911.749 FPS
31398 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6279.513 FPS
29510 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5901.985 FPS
#

It's working great so far.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(61.1 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
image-1.jpg
(26.63 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Re: Fatdog64-630 Final (February 11 2014)

#168 Post by gcmartin »

wrong sited post

WillM

#169 Post by WillM »

These are sfs files for jdk1.7u51, jre1.7u51, and apache-ant-1.93.
The java environment is set with a file placed in /etc/profile.d
It is necessary to restart or restart X server to load the java environment.. The Java plugin for Firefox is not included.
The sfs are in this directory:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

md5sums:

Code: Select all

38fcc5ee134fd59ae4b22f4307e53b9a  jdk17u51_64_630.sfs
ef3164e84a5087760d544b169720384d  jre17u51_64_630.sfs
5516073adb383206170e53ee8128b60c  apache-ant-1.9.3_630.sfs

kpfuser

#170 Post by kpfuser »

gcmartin wrote:Hi @KPFuser

If you intend to run via DVD (this is the ONLY way FATDOG620+ is supported). you can allow the system to save-session to the DVD at shutdown.
Well, as I mentioned in a previous post, the idea sounds great. However, something went amiss during implementation. To be specific, I downloaded the Fatdog64-630.iso and burned it to a DVD+R leaving it open session. Then I booted (with some difficulty, my system ignored the DVD in the drive a few times preferring to boot from hd instead) and spent some time making some changes to the system including a wallpaper change to make it obvious for future bootups that my changes have been incorporated into the system. At shutdown I created a save file on the DVD, which file (two files actually) I am able to see by mounting the DVD. However, upon booting from this DVD, the save file(s) is ignored and I get the original fatdog with none of my system changes in sight. Next I repeated the process by creating the savefile on a usb drive with identical results upon reboot. What am I doing wrong?