Fatdog64-630 & 631 Final (May 12 2014)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Billtoo

#181 Post by Billtoo »

Ted Dog wrote:oh did you wish the current session was written to DVD and then later reloaded or does newer suspend start doing that now? I am confused. When I suspend it does not write to anything. Suspend to RAM is the default or it sbould be since we are running from RAM.
I'm running the DVD+RW on my desktop not a laptop and I don't want to leave it running 24 hours a day but instead have it suspend until I want to use it again.
I have another DVD+RW running on a laptop and suspend is working okay on that one.

Ted Dog

#182 Post by Ted Dog »

ok I see what you wish to do... interesting idea on non laptop but makes you wonder why they could or would be doing the same concept already. It actually makes better economic reasons to do this on everything regardless of form..
On a different persons thread he wanted a timed multisession shutdown like a sleep mode that shut itself down after running a slide show. Could be tbe same like a screen saver mode to force a session and then turn itself off.
But that would power machine off..

Ted Dog

#183 Post by Ted Dog »

Also would be good to burn a session daily or on a schedule just incase of power failure. I sometimes forget to power down larger desktop unit for days. And its a business server type which will auto power up once a power problem is corrected. Also can be timed turned on which I never had a use for until your idea.

gcmartin

#184 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Billtoo for the laptop idea. I have not tried it yet but, this is very good news, indeed.

Also, the idea of a suspend-resume sequence that works similar to a laptop would have good basis because a PC always has power, thus, could go for a longer period in RAM suspend mode than an unpowered laptop would.

Hopefully an answer or an understanding will surface on this thread regarding this possibility.

Cheers!

Wognath

Bug? Deb packages install but won't uninstall

#185 Post by Wognath »

deb packages install just like pets and show up in the list of installed packages. You can mark them and click uninstall, but the packages don't go away. I have tried this in 620 and 630.

nooby

#186 Post by nooby »

Thanks to Kirk? James Bond Ted Dog and all of you
caring about FatDwayBut my brain due to easting habits
is too dense and confused. Keep it up fun to follow the progrss
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

DrDeaf

#187 Post by DrDeaf »

I have to say that I don't feel that spot (or not) is really a problem. I have never encountered anything that I could not fix by just changing what I am doing. Having a choice is nice.

When something just suddenly doesn't run though, it is more difficult. Here's an example...

I always boot my notebook off of USB one of two ways. One is to use Grub4Dos, and just choose the partition I want to boot. Never a problem with this, with any Pup I have tried. "It just works".

The second way is to install Easy2Boot and simply toss the freshly downloaded ISO to it and go! It doesn't get any cleaner than this.

A problem with Easy2Boot is that some Pups hang in the middle of bootup. LH64 does this ("LH64-602.sfs not found"). However, until 630, FD has always booted with Easy2Boot. Now with 630, it hangs a bit earlier than other Pups.

Using 630, Easy2Boot works as usual, copies to RAM and then hangs with this line: Booting the kernel.

What changed to cause this in 630? Can it be fixed?
Thanks in advance!

kpfuser

#188 Post by kpfuser »

gcmartin wrote:The DVD boot problem
You MUST, at the boot-time menu select the option for multi-session. I have, in the past, found that for some odd reason when 620 emerge something began to work differently than earlier 600 did for Multisession. Dont remember what though, but I did insure thereafter to begin using multisession after the first boot.

Doesn't that work?.
It did work! After trying about 5 times in a row before it finally booted from the DVD (why the reluctance?), it booted OK copying the save files I had created a few days ago reproducing the system as per my modifications. Success, I should say, but based on what I have experienced so far, I cannot help it but recall one irrefutable law of Murphy's, i.e., "if you think that everything is going smoothly, you have obviously overlooked something." Will it be the case once again? Well, time will tell. Meanwhile, a big THANKS goes to gcmartin and all the others who helped with Ted Dog at the top of the list.

gcmartin

#189 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @DrDeaf.

I think both LIghthouse and FATDOG ISOs can be booted. but, to do so, could require a MNU file as describe in item 3 under "Introduction" section on here.

The contents for the BootManager that the paragraph references is similar/same an one that JamesBond provided for ISO booting earlier that I do not have a my fingertips right now. I also seem to remember that he may have made a FATDOG webpage to so such, too. In fact, over the years, I remember he has provide ISO boot instructions for 2 different Boot Managers with GRUB4DOS being just one of them.

Should do the trick. Post us should you have any success. I feel that E2B is a very good solution for both, boot, testing and running, of the various 64bit PUPs and other PUPs that are cropping up in the community.

Here to help

gcmartin

Bridging in FATDOG

#190 Post by gcmartin »

Hello FATDOG development

I, too, have need of bridge guidance for KVM use to allow a QEMU's VM guest(s) to access the LAN's DHCP host to acquire and directly access the LAN services directly thru one of the VM host's adapter.

Also, Kirk's "fix" to allow the system at initial boot to access and use the 2nd LAN adapter (as he had this working in prior FATDOGs) would also be helpful. If there is a "fix bucket" where this fix is contained, I would use it.

Any guidance for these 2 post's requests would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

prehistoric

video problems + boot with peculiar BIOS

#191 Post by prehistoric »

I can now report that all the problems I previously reported with an old nvidia machine are tied to the driver. Using the framebuffer driver not only got rid of the invisible cursor, which turned up after running for hours, and the problems in starting xwin which turned up on some boots, but also restored the video blanking screensaver which was failing under those other nvidia drivers.

My current installation on this machine is adequate for daily use, but I maintain a test installation for future tests with better video drivers.

----

On a different machine, the HP Elitebook 6930p, I have had no video problems at all, and few other problems, but the blankety-blank BIOS doesn't want to boot much except Windoze. Linux Mint is able to insert its own multiboot using GRUB2, but I have had no luck in modifying that to add an entry for Fatdog. Even when I have risked a direct Fatdog installation on the disk with the W7 installation I have ended up booting into W7 afterward. (Before installing Fatdog, it was doing a GRUB2 multiboot with Linux Mint 16. My problems with that are that some developers have gone hog-wild with complicated shell scripts for what is essentially a very simple process. I don't find any explanations for why things should be this way in Linux land convincing.)

This BIOS appears to have been an early step on the way to a UEFI BIOS used for high security on laptops of businesses and government contractors. It is not exactly fish or fowl. There is apparently no straightforward way to turn off secure boot.

(This is considered SMBIOS version 2.4, and BIOS HP 68PCU Ver. F.18, 3/16/2010)

This isn't doing a great deal for security, as I have had no trouble getting access to any files I want inside the W7 system. It would be hard to find a better way to motivate people to become system crackers.

I want to make it clear that I own this machine, and have a bill of sale. The OS was upgraded by the original owner and activated. There is an OEM product ID. I've photographed this to have a record which cannot be deleted by a computer crash or malicious software.

To forestall comments by others: I like to keep one machine with Windoze so I can reproduce problems reported by those still under the thrall of the monster of Redmond. (Another one of these friends has just retired, so this motivation is weakening.) It is also necessary to run some programs from other sources, like self-extracting files, though I don't use many. I routinely use Linux systems like Fatdog myself, and try to keep these from being polluted by Windoze. The ideal way is to boot off devices which are not even connected to the machine when W7 is running.

The efforts to keep people from booting alternative OSes are having the effect of making machines dedicated to Windoze less desirable and marketable. I already see economic consequences. Good.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-630 Final (February 11 2014)

#192 Post by Billtoo »

I have a DVD+RW running on my Acer Laptop.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Tue 4 Mar 2014 on Fatdog64 630 Linux 3.12.9 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 68e0
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: PARK 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver: fglrx
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.12618 Core Profile Context 13.251

# glxgears
26368 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5273.495 FPS
26274 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5254.410 FPS
26475 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5294.949 FPS
#
Suspend works fine, life is good :)

I made a pcmanfm-1.2.0-x86_64.sfs and will upload it to the contrib
repository when possible, it's not possible yet.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(86.09 KiB) Downloaded 475 times

Atle

#193 Post by Atle »

Hi...

Have installed Scribus 1.4.1 from PPM.

Then it requested libpython 2.6.so.0.1, but there is just python 2.7.5

I use Fatdog64-630 Final.

Any hints?

Atle
Attachments
feilmelding.jpg
(39.77 KiB) Downloaded 247 times

kirk

#194 Post by kirk »

Atle,

Python 2.6 is part of the devx sfs file, so you can install that and it should work. I'm out of town right now, I'll check into the missing pet package when I get back.
"

Sunny

Question on fd64-devx_630.sfs

#195 Post by Sunny »

Question about fd64-devx_630.sfs ...

There is a directory called /usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 in this sfs file that contains two subdirectories (gdk-pixbuf & gdk-pixbuf-xlib).

These two subdirectories also show up in /usr/include/gtk-2.0 in this same sfs.

I would note that the files in these pixbuf subdirectories are not the same. Which are the right ones?

jamesbond

#196 Post by jamesbond »

Atle wrote:Hi...

Have installed Scribus 1.4.1 from PPM.

Then it requested libpython 2.6.so.0.1, but there is just python 2.7.5
There is python 2.6.6 (which is the python from devx) in the FPM. Unfortunately they are listed in two different categories so it is not so obvious: so click "hide categories" checkbox at the bottom of the FPM then search for python. You will then see both versions.

Wognath, I never install debs myself. The script that install debs are old. Let me check it later.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Atle

#197 Post by Atle »

Thanks JamesBond...

Worked PERFECTLY.. :D [/quote]

jamesbond

Re: Bibletime

#198 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911 wrote:Hi Kirk and James,

Your latest Fatdog64-630 is working great, however my favorite program, Bibletime, has numerous updates since your last update of it. Please consider updating it for Fatdog64-630. We Bibletime users really appreciate your continued support for this fine program with your great operating system.
Hi Jim,
I've just uploaded Bibletime 2.10.0 (latest as of today) to the repo. If you already run the previous version, uninstall:
- older bibletime
- older sword.
- but keep the clucene.

I have bundled the sword library together with the bibletime package. I have only done minimal testing (ie it launch and I can download the BBE bible and read it). Let me know if you have any problems with it.
sunny wrote:I would note that the files in these pixbuf subdirectories are not the same. Which are the right ones?
Both are the correct ones. They are part of gdk-pixbuf (generic pixbuf interface and the Xlib-specific implementation). As for which ones to you - that depends on what you want to do with it.

@prehistoric, thanks for the note.

DrDeaf, I don't use Easy2Boot so I can't really tell why. Nothing seriously changed between 621 and 630 in terms of booting scripts or anything.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

neerajkolte

#199 Post by neerajkolte »

DrDeaf wrote:I have to say that I don't feel that spot (or not) is really a problem. I have never encountered anything that I could not fix by just changing what I am doing. Having a choice is nice.

When something just suddenly doesn't run though, it is more difficult. Here's an example...

I always boot my notebook off of USB one of two ways. One is to use Grub4Dos, and just choose the partition I want to boot. Never a problem with this, with any Pup I have tried. "It just works".

The second way is to install Easy2Boot and simply toss the freshly downloaded ISO to it and go! It doesn't get any cleaner than this.

A problem with Easy2Boot is that some Pups hang in the middle of bootup. LH64 does this ("LH64-602.sfs not found"). However, until 630, FD has always booted with Easy2Boot. Now with 630, it hangs a bit earlier than other Pups.

Using 630, Easy2Boot works as usual, copies to RAM and then hangs with this line: Booting the kernel.

What changed to cause this in 630? Can it be fixed?
Thanks in advance!
I have installed Fatdog64-630 on my usb stick using many methods( yummi, universal installer, fatdogs own installer, even have used dd.) never had problem in booting.
After reading your comment I downloaded easy2boot and installed it on my usb.
I have successfully booted both Fatdog64-630 and precise puppy from it.
Also I have made e2b usb from both windows7 and my fatdog64. Both times it worked and boots fine. Are you using latest version of e2b. Because I even didn't have to worry about .mnu file I just placed my ISOs in mainmenu folder. I have also tested them by placing in Linux folder.
I didn't encounter any prob.
Last edited by neerajkolte on Fri 07 Mar 2014, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Sunny

Question on fd64-devx_630.sfs

#200 Post by Sunny »

Both are the correct ones. They are part of gdk-pixbuf (generic pixbuf interface and the Xlib-specific implementation). As for which ones to you - that depends on what you want to do with it.
Thanks for that reply jamesbond, but I understood that part of it. What seems to be the problem is that the subdirectories gdk-pixbuf and gdk-pixbuf-xlib are included in /usr/include/gtk-2.0 ... but they are also in /usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0

For example, the individual files in /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf have the same names as the files in /usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/gdk-pixbuf ... but the files are different.

If I had to hazard a guess, it seems to me like the subdirectories (gdk-pixbuf & gdk-pixbuf-xlib) should not be in the directory /usr/include/gtk-2.0 (I believe this is where the old versions of gdk-pixbuf put them, but the newer versions are putting them in /usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0)