Fatdog64-630 & 631 Final (May 12 2014)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
beau_tox

Re: ATI Catalyst pet not working[SOLVED]

#226 Post by beau_tox »

Ted Dog wrote:
Need the xserver.pet to pair up the changes. install the xserver first, reboot. May take two reboot cycles for the correct setting to apply..

Changed to different xserver., works now.

fglrxinfo

display: :0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics
OpenGL version string: 4.3.12618 Compatibility Profile Context 13.35.1005

glxgears

11267 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2253.265 FPS
11487 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2297.212 FPS
11360 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2271.864 FPS

thank you
Fatdog64 802
Frugal install to 8 Gbyte SDHC with savefile
Zotac AD03 BlueRay AMD E350 (1.6 GHz Dual Core) ATI Radeon HD 6310 GPU
8 GB RAM, Diskless

jeff-nelson

LXC works. It's alive!

#227 Post by jeff-nelson »

I was able to get a LXC sandbox to setup a network bridge. Yeah! The instructions I followed were at https://wiki.debian.org/LXC/SimpleBridge which worked almost word for word once I figured out the meaning of the parameters.

The isolation appears much higher than CHROOT, to the extent that proc, devices, and networks are also sandboxed. Still playing with it.

hammad

Fatdog64-630 Final (February 11 2014)

#228 Post by hammad »

Can I install fatdog on android device based on Telechips Processor ? If yes then how can I flash rom with fat dog.

nooby

#229 Post by nooby »

If it is the same ARM CPU version that they use
if not then you have to learn compiling from the
sources?

cpu vrif not then you are on your own
having to compile the code from sources.

The CPU you name does it not have a ARM number tile ARM 10
or similar.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Ted Dog

hybrid mode mbr uefi disaster..

#230 Post by Ted Dog »

Got A little too brave and tried to setup the illogical mix mode harddrive. My USB flashdrives seem to work fine. But once my laptop windows8.1 got into game it self destructed after a day of wasted effort. Windows got stuck in Automatic Repair Mode. And loop and looped for ever. :!:

I am guessing that is why nobody recommends doing this... lessons learnt.

nooby

#231 Post by nooby »

Ted Dog very good that you report this.
It is also why I have postponed the frugal install
of Puppy on the device that I have. A Packard Bell

I wait until I personally get what is needed to be done
and in what order it should take place :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

neerajkolte

Running Windows in Virtualbox (solved)

#232 Post by neerajkolte »

Sorry for delay in reply, yesterday I was busy due to festival. (just throwing coloured water filled baloons at whoever comes my way ;) )

I tried to install win7 64bit home premium. The installation exited after compliting 98 percent. The only error message it gave me was 'invalid system settings found'.
Got to fiddle with settings.
Will do that when I get home from work today and add solved to subject description as soon as widows7 boots.
Ted Dog wrote:yes sfs multisession saves can be renamed and used much like a regular sfs
gcmartin wrote: My gut feel is "yes you can", but, I feel something might be missing in my view.
Thanks Teddog, gcmartin I will try that and report back.

Thanks nooby for reminding me about faq and savefile boot options.
Last edited by neerajkolte on Thu 20 Mar 2014, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Ted Dog

#233 Post by Ted Dog »

I used fatdog64 630 with many many multisession blueRay data discs and backed up three hardrives and what did not fit was copied to a less used harddrive for safe keeping. One of the hardrives was played with and killed my windows8.1 :D after almost two days of updates... Had to scrub that mismatched mess I made and rebuild now back to windows8 and only 43 more updates to go. Did hide the preloader to 8.1 upgrade update.. Never planning to go that route again 8.1 only made it even worse.
:roll:

Im having Fatdog64 withdrawl :wink:

neerajkolte

Running Windows in Virtualbox 4.2.4 (solved)

#234 Post by neerajkolte »

Well not from 4.2.4 but from 4.3.8.

I now have

1) windows7 64 bit home basic (Office 2010, Tally9, and few games installed),

2) ubuntu 13.10,

running successfully in my fatdog.

Only thing remains is making Virtualbox-4.3.8-64bit.sfs :D
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

betamax

How to update Firefox nightly.

#235 Post by betamax »

kirk wrote:
How to change Firefox from nightly to default one?
If you compile your own Firefox you're supposed to get permission to use the official branding. Since we compile it and don't use official Mozilla binaries it's called Nightly.

My Question: If there is no way to remove nightly, how do we at least update it? This version 27 does not have the update button on the about page.

Hope you could help, cheers!

jamesbond

Re: How to update Firefox nightly.

#236 Post by jamesbond »

betamax wrote:
kirk wrote:
How to change Firefox from nightly to default one?
If you compile your own Firefox you're supposed to get permission to use the official branding. Since we compile it and don't use official Mozilla binaries it's called Nightly.
My Question: If there is no way to remove nightly, how do we at least update it? This version 27 does not have the update button on the about page.
1. Download official firefox version (remember to download 64-bit Linux version)
2. Close all your browser windows
3. Open terminal, and from within terminal (as root):
a) rm -rf /usr/lib64/firefox
b) tar -xf /path/to/downloaded/firefox-28.tar.bz2 -C /usr/lib64
4. Restart your browser.
That's it. You are now running official firefox version, which you can update as you wish.

If you ever want to switch back to the built-in firefox (nightly):
1. Open terminal, and from within terminal (as root):
b) ln -s firefox-27.0 /usr/lib64/firefox
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

ally

#237 Post by ally »

hi guys

sorry to be a pain, I have fetched out my desktop which has an nvidia geforce ge6600gt graphics card

I run two monitors and have tried installing the nvidia legacy 304.88-3.8.7 from ppm but it fails xorgwizard and I have to fall back to modsetting

advices please...

ta

:)

Billtoo

#238 Post by Billtoo »

ally wrote:hi guys

sorry to be a pain, I have fetched out my desktop which has an nvidia geforce ge6600gt graphics card

I run two monitors and have tried installing the nvidia legacy 304.88-3.8.7 from ppm but it fails xorgwizard and I have to fall back to modsetting

advices please...

ta

I think this might be the one that you need:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... 3.12.9.pet

ally

#239 Post by ally »

billtoo - thanks dude

thought I was going crazy, all sorted..........

pentajazz

How to run Slacko Puppy side-by-side with Fatdog64

#240 Post by pentajazz »

this is a nice one feature, impressive openness for a very fast , although fat dog!
How to run Slacko Puppy side-by-side with Fatdog64
http://jamesbond3142.no-ip.org/wiki/wik ... koInFatdog

used it with some puppy distros with mixed results. Slacko is ok, lighthouse64 also ok.
Is there a way to load a save file for the secondary "hosted" distro in the script and use it as a permanent save state solution for it (manual or auto save)? Is it also possible to load some sfs files from the script and how? "Thanks!"

betamax

Re: How to update Firefox nightly.

#241 Post by betamax »

jamesbond wrote:
betamax wrote:
kirk wrote: If you compile your own Firefox you're supposed to get permission to use the official branding. Since we compile it and don't use official Mozilla binaries it's called Nightly.
1. Download official firefox version (remember to download 64-bit Linux version)
2. Close all your browser windows
3. Open terminal, and from within terminal (as root):
b) tar -xf /path/to/downloaded/firefox-28.tar.bz2 -C /usr/lib64
4. Restart your browser.
That's it. You are now running official firefox version, which you can update as you wish.

If you ever want to switch back to the built-in firefox (nightly):
1. Open terminal, and from within terminal (as root):
b) ln -s firefox-27.0 /usr/lib64/firefox
Solved! and thanks bigtime. Bookmarks and add-ons instantly updated, didn't even have to sync online.

Jim1911

Bibletime 2.10.0

#242 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi James & Kirk,

Thank you for your continued support of Bibletime in your outstanding Fatdog64 operating system. :D

The latest version, available from your repository, works great although it's not available yet in your Package Manager. One slight problem, Bibletime.desktop needs to point to the correct icon at /usr/share/bibletime/icons/bibletime.png.

Thanks again for compiling the latest version Bibletime 2.10.0 to work with your OS.

Regards,
Jim
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(64.93 KiB) Downloaded 898 times

prehistoric

dual-boot using GRUB 2

#243 Post by prehistoric »

Others here will have read of my struggles with one special laptop, an HP Elitebook 6930p. I have been able to use Linux Mint 16 to boot into Fatdog 630. I still don't know why Fatdog fails to fool W7 into dual-booting, and Linux Mint 16 succeeds.
The difference between Linux Mint 16 GRUB 2 configuration and older examples is that they now use an executable text file to insert menu entries in grub.cfg, which is generated by scripts. Here's an example:

Code: Select all

cat <<EOF
menuentry "Fatdog Linux 630 on sda5"{
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /FD/vmlinuz psubdir=FD
initrd /FD/initrd
}
EOF
I originally inserted this in /etc/grub.d/11_fatdog. This needs to be made executable before you run update-grub as root. (This is inside Linux Mint, not Fatdog.)

After I had it working, I changed the numbers on these files to change order in the boot menu, then ran grub-update again. Nothing unusual here, but it is an example of how brittle boot configuration using scripts can be. I tried a GRUB configuration utility with a GUI inside Linux MInt, (Grub Customizer 4) but it gave me an error message.

None of these other Linux systems will detect a frugal Puppy or Fatdog installation as Linux. You can edit grub.cfg yourself, ignoring warnings, but in that case your edits will mysteriously disappear if grub-update is ever run again.

Maybe one of our experts can find out why Linux Mint 16 was able to deal with dual-booting W7. I've had enough trouble with W7, etc. I'm quite happy with Fatdog 630 on that machine, and could now delete Linux Mint if I needed space. This still falls short of my original goal of having a Fatdog installation on a removable SSD I could boot without modifying the W7 installation at all. That BIOS has outwitted me. I have such a SSD, but the BIOS apparently checks carefully to see if I am booting Windows, unless I'm booting from CD/DVD.

(Yes, I know it is easier to avoid Windoze entirely, but I need such a system available to reproduce problems reported by friends. It is also nice to be able to test things under a more mainstream Linux once in a while, including programs not yet available on Fatdog, so I'll keep Linux Mint around.)

Wognath

Bootup delay

#244 Post by Wognath »

When I boot Fatdog, after "Starting X Desktop" I get 35 seconds of black screen before the desktop appears. The cursor appears about half way through. Since this is over half of the total bootup time, I'm wondering if there is anything I could do to optimize my configuration and speed things up. If I quit X server, then type xwin, desktop returns almost instantly. If I quit X and try xorgwizard, xwin stops working.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Fatdog 620, savefile, Lenovo s12 netbook, Via processor, video card is VIA Chrome 9 H3 IGP. [I get exactly the same behavior in 630, so I think it's reasonable to ask here.]
Fatdog doesn't like this computer much. Some of the 500 series wouldn't boot at all, but I'm nicely settled in to 620 now. Thanks for the great work, Kirk and James.

kirk

#245 Post by kirk »

Code:
cat <<EOF
menuentry "Fatdog Linux 630 on sda5"{
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /FD/vmlinuz psubdir=FD
initrd /FD/initrd
}
EOF
I don't use grub2 much, Arch has a nice page here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB

Check that (hd0,5) is correct, that's hard drive 1, partition 6. Also the "psubdir=FD" is a Puppy boot code, not used in Fatdog64. You would want something like savefile=direct:device:sda6:/FD/fd64save.3fs. Better yet make a directory /FD/fatdog64 and then use savefile=direct:device:sda2:/fd600/fatdog64 no save file needed. That's assuming it's a linux partition, not FAT or NTFS.

Wognath,

There's a good chance we don't support your video card. We have OpenChrome in there, but I don't know if it supports yours or not. Anyway, could be that or just the whole system is running slow.