Fatdog64-630 & 631 Final (May 12 2014)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
betamax

Re: How to update Firefox nightly.

#241 Post by betamax »

jamesbond wrote:
betamax wrote:
kirk wrote: If you compile your own Firefox you're supposed to get permission to use the official branding. Since we compile it and don't use official Mozilla binaries it's called Nightly.
My Question: If there is no way to remove nightly, how do we at least update it? This version 27 does not have the update button on the about page.
1. Download official firefox version (remember to download 64-bit Linux version)
2. Close all your browser windows
3. Open terminal, and from within terminal (as root):
a) rm -rf /usr/lib64/firefox
b) tar -xf /path/to/downloaded/firefox-28.tar.bz2 -C /usr/lib64
4. Restart your browser.
That's it. You are now running official firefox version, which you can update as you wish.

If you ever want to switch back to the built-in firefox (nightly):
1. Open terminal, and from within terminal (as root):
a) rm -rf /usr/lib64/firefox
b) ln -s firefox-27.0 /usr/lib64/firefox
Solved! and thanks bigtime. Bookmarks and add-ons instantly updated, didn't even have to sync online.

Jim1911

Bibletime 2.10.0

#242 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi James & Kirk,

Thank you for your continued support of Bibletime in your outstanding Fatdog64 operating system. :D

The latest version, available from your repository, works great although it's not available yet in your Package Manager. One slight problem, Bibletime.desktop needs to point to the correct icon at /usr/share/bibletime/icons/bibletime.png.

Thanks again for compiling the latest version Bibletime 2.10.0 to work with your OS.

Regards,
Jim
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(64.93 KiB) Downloaded 898 times

prehistoric

dual-boot using GRUB 2

#243 Post by prehistoric »

Others here will have read of my struggles with one special laptop, an HP Elitebook 6930p. I have been able to use Linux Mint 16 to boot into Fatdog 630. I still don't know why Fatdog fails to fool W7 into dual-booting, and Linux Mint 16 succeeds.
The difference between Linux Mint 16 GRUB 2 configuration and older examples is that they now use an executable text file to insert menu entries in grub.cfg, which is generated by scripts. Here's an example:

Code: Select all

cat <<EOF
menuentry "Fatdog Linux 630 on sda5"{
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /FD/vmlinuz psubdir=FD
initrd /FD/initrd
}
EOF
I originally inserted this in /etc/grub.d/11_fatdog. This needs to be made executable before you run update-grub as root. (This is inside Linux Mint, not Fatdog.)

After I had it working, I changed the numbers on these files to change order in the boot menu, then ran grub-update again. Nothing unusual here, but it is an example of how brittle boot configuration using scripts can be. I tried a GRUB configuration utility with a GUI inside Linux MInt, (Grub Customizer 4) but it gave me an error message.

None of these other Linux systems will detect a frugal Puppy or Fatdog installation as Linux. You can edit grub.cfg yourself, ignoring warnings, but in that case your edits will mysteriously disappear if grub-update is ever run again.

Maybe one of our experts can find out why Linux Mint 16 was able to deal with dual-booting W7. I've had enough trouble with W7, etc. I'm quite happy with Fatdog 630 on that machine, and could now delete Linux Mint if I needed space. This still falls short of my original goal of having a Fatdog installation on a removable SSD I could boot without modifying the W7 installation at all. That BIOS has outwitted me. I have such a SSD, but the BIOS apparently checks carefully to see if I am booting Windows, unless I'm booting from CD/DVD.

(Yes, I know it is easier to avoid Windoze entirely, but I need such a system available to reproduce problems reported by friends. It is also nice to be able to test things under a more mainstream Linux once in a while, including programs not yet available on Fatdog, so I'll keep Linux Mint around.)

Wognath

Bootup delay

#244 Post by Wognath »

When I boot Fatdog, after "Starting X Desktop" I get 35 seconds of black screen before the desktop appears. The cursor appears about half way through. Since this is over half of the total bootup time, I'm wondering if there is anything I could do to optimize my configuration and speed things up. If I quit X server, then type xwin, desktop returns almost instantly. If I quit X and try xorgwizard, xwin stops working.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Fatdog 620, savefile, Lenovo s12 netbook, Via processor, video card is VIA Chrome 9 H3 IGP. [I get exactly the same behavior in 630, so I think it's reasonable to ask here.]
Fatdog doesn't like this computer much. Some of the 500 series wouldn't boot at all, but I'm nicely settled in to 620 now. Thanks for the great work, Kirk and James.

kirk

#245 Post by kirk »

Code:
cat <<EOF
menuentry "Fatdog Linux 630 on sda5"{
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /FD/vmlinuz psubdir=FD
initrd /FD/initrd
}
EOF
I don't use grub2 much, Arch has a nice page here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB

Check that (hd0,5) is correct, that's hard drive 1, partition 6. Also the "psubdir=FD" is a Puppy boot code, not used in Fatdog64. You would want something like savefile=direct:device:sda6:/FD/fd64save.3fs. Better yet make a directory /FD/fatdog64 and then use savefile=direct:device:sda2:/fd600/fatdog64 no save file needed. That's assuming it's a linux partition, not FAT or NTFS.

Wognath,

There's a good chance we don't support your video card. We have OpenChrome in there, but I don't know if it supports yours or not. Anyway, could be that or just the whole system is running slow.

prehistoric

#246 Post by prehistoric »

kirk,

That code posted was actually working!

GRUB 2 has changed the partition numbering scheme again, (hd 0,5) really means partition sda5 in this case.

I was a little taken aback by your comment about psubdir, until I realized I had never placed the save file in the subdirectory. I'd like to be able to keep things in savefiles in subdirectories at present. I'm still dealing with machines that expect FAT or NTFS file systems. I want to keep experimenting with moving the save file between devices until I find a way around those limitations.

Frankly, I don't find the Fatdog means of addressing savefiles as convenient as telling Puppy to search a particular directory when I am dealing with multiple versions. You must default to a savefile in the base (root) directory of a partition on your own machines, or use save to directory exclusively.

I'll admit I haven't tried the save to directory since some time in the distant past on Puppy. If I used nothing but Fatdog this might be the way to go.

neerajkolte

DuelHead Fatdog

#247 Post by neerajkolte »

Hello everyone,

My friend just returned my 10 year old 17" samsung syncmaster 753s CRT monitor.
My board has both VGA and DVI outputs.
I was already using wide 22" LCD connected to DVI port with resolution 1920x1080.
I connected 17" to VGA.
My 17" is physically placed to the right of 22".
I set it so in zarfy tool in control panel. Display resolution of 17" is set at 1024x768.
I don't know why zarfy shows my DVI as HDMI. It works anyway.

At first panel shifted to my 17" keeping desktop icons on 22".
So I configured panel to appear on my 22" which is shown as desktop2.
Is there any way to get panel on both monitors.

Also applications by default run on my 17" Then I drag them to 22".
Is there any way to make my desktop2 the default.
Also any popups should open on same desktop where original program resides. When I click for playlist in vlc on my 22" it opens in 17"
Better yet I would like if I could run 2 separate desktops not the extended version and switch between them using Ctrl-F1/F2.

I have read some tutorials about running two xorgs on same machine, I am not sure if thats what I want. Also they use 2 graphic cards 2 mice 2 keyboards. where as I have only one of each.

So any thoughts...
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

gcmartin

#248 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Neerajkolte

One way to run is to run 2 X sessions. 1 session on the 22" and a 2nd login on the 17". This is done thru a separate profile for the 17" vs the default on the 22". That would allow each screen to be independent is both operations and services.

The problem that may need to be addressed in this arrangement is how to "jump" the keyboard-mouse from desktop1 to desktop2 (and vice-versa) when needed?

Another Idea is the running a VM host on desktop1 which launches a VM guest on the 2nd desktop. That does NOT require keyboard jumping as any work done in the guest would be totally operational in desktop2 and when not working in the guest, you are on desktop 1.

(kinda like having 2 PCs in front of you at the same time.)

These are some ideas for your wanting to have isolation for what is happening on one screen vs the other.

Hope this is helpful for some useful ideas.

Hope this helps

neerajkolte

DuelHead Fatdog

#249 Post by neerajkolte »

Thanks gcmartin for reply.
gcmartin wrote: One way to run is to run 2 X sessions. 1 session on the 22" and a 2nd login on the 17". This is done thru a separate profile for the 17" vs the default on the 22". That would allow each screen to be independent is both operations and services.
I am googling about running 2 x sessions. I am yet to find how to make saperate profiles and enable them.

But I came across http://ask.slashdot.org/story/10/01/28/ ... inux-and-x

on this some users suggests using enlightenment wm as
Enlightenment e17 handles this brilliantly. Each screen gets its own set of virtual desktops. Switching VTs on one does not change the current VT on the other.

With Xinerama you can drag windows from one screen to the other.
Got to research more....
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Ted Dog

saved 24M on remaster with squashfs settings

#250 Post by Ted Dog »

Saw that a command line change for squashfs improved compression by 24M in fatdog64 630. :shock:

line 439

-b 1024k -comp xz -Xbcj x86

same changes for fatdog-split-intrd.sh and .save-multisession.sh

kirk

#251 Post by kirk »

Saw that a command line change for squashfs improved compression by 24M in fatdog64 630. Shocked

line 439

-b 1024k -comp xz -Xbcj x86
Yes, but slower too. The -b 1024k means to use 1MB blocks. That means that for any small file opened the kernel has to decompress 1MB. I haven't played with -Xbcj, James says he did use that with the arm stuff, don't know yet how that might impact speed. Something to look into for 700. There are options for using fragmented blocks as well, but probably for a price. Anyway there's a trade off between compression and speed, at least until the kernel caches the file.

gcmartin

#252 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Neerajkolte, this is courtesy of @Kirk or @JamesBond circa 2009 (cannot remember which).

It will get you a 2nd X FATDOG desktop simultaneously with the 1st. To get to either, it is done by using the Ctrl-Alt-Fn to switch between the 2 desktops.

#!/bin/ash
# While running on FATDOG's desktop
# type Ctrl-Alt-Fn, where n is any number greater than 2 and less than 4!
# This opens a prompt for login as root
# After login type the following or run this script to the 2nd X-session
xinit -- /usr/bin/X :1
I have used it variously for tests.

Again, I don't have a 2nd screen to test or target. This process could be better explained should you have success you are looking for.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Horst

OPenSSL TLS

#253 Post by Horst »

Hello,

how about updating OpenSSL/TLS. ( On http://www.golem.de/news/sicherheitslue ... 05685.html they posted something about the possibilitiy, to get private keys )
http://www.openssl.org/news/vulnerabilities.html
Is it enough to install openssl_1.0.1g-1_amd64.deb?

Ted Dog

#254 Post by Ted Dog »

Thanks Horst.. but that has been well known and hard to pull off in real life.. Sometimes pa5ching a small hole makes it worse... IE I do not trust the new method. Can't pin point it but seems off to me..

WillM

#255 Post by WillM »

Fatdog64 uses libssl 1.0.0g
What versions of the OpenSSL are affected?

Status of different versions:

OpenSSL 1.0.1 through 1.0.1f (inclusive) are vulnerable
OpenSSL 1.0.1g is NOT vulnerable
OpenSSL 1.0.0 branch is NOT vulnerable
OpenSSL 0.9.8 branch is NOT vulnerable

Bug was introduced to OpenSSL in December 2011 and has been out in the wild since OpenSSL release 1.0.1 on 14th of March 2012. OpenSSL 1.0.1g released on 7th of April 2014 fixes the bug.
http://heartbleed.com/

Ted Dog

#256 Post by Ted Dog »

see that is what makes open source work well..

Ray MK

#257 Post by Ray MK »

Absolutely superb new FD64 - so easy to setup.

Love the new wifi setup module.
Minor issue finding control panel. (Maybe consider a menu entry too)

Did a manual frugal to an old usb stick that had FD521 on it.
Running on an older HP laptop that has an AMD Athlon X2 proc. and 2gig of ram.

(Not mine - a neighbour's - W7 was completely scrambled)

First impressions of FD630 are extremely good.

So many thanks again to JB & Kirk and all for producing this outstanding Puppy - Much appreciated.

Very best regards - Ray.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Ted Dog

#258 Post by Ted Dog »

looks like openSSL version in Fatdog64 is safe from bug.. Its more a host issue. What I was referring to was the general weakness of having keys as files passed and available to transfer if OTHER hacks where used.. Not the buffer being hacked as this appears.
Needed to get my passwords changed anyway forgot the admin pass for puppylinux.net and one other site with a prepaid host acct. which I host my hobby stuff.
Finally talked Into upgraded internet plan that sbould allow me to uoload stuff finally and check my email.

neerajkolte

#259 Post by neerajkolte »

Thanks for reply gcmartin. Sorry for late reply, was away from internet for some time.(haven't received my android's spares to repair it). My friend loaned me his Huawei E1550 modem and I am good to go.....
gcmartin wrote: It will get you a 2nd X FATDOG desktop simultaneously with the 1st. To get to either, it is done by using the Ctrl-Alt-Fn to switch between the 2 desktops.

#!/bin/ash
# While running on FATDOG's desktop
# type Ctrl-Alt-Fn, where n is any number greater than 2 and less than 4!
# This opens a prompt for login as root
# After login type the following or run this script to the 2nd X-session
xinit -- /usr/bin/X :1[/quote]

I found the same thing on net while googling but after doing this what I get is first x sessions on both monitors at ctrl+alt+F4 and another x session on both monitors at ctrl+alt+F5.

What I want is one X session on first monitor second X session on second monitor.
Both visible at the same time but using ctrl+alt+F4/F5 to swich between them for mouse and keyboard inputs.
It might be just around the corner, some really small thing missing in code or I might be doing really stupid mistake gonna recheck n research. Thanks.

Also Has any one installed Mobile partner in Fatdog64. I have downloaded and installed version 21 it said installation successful also creates menu entry but only shows flash screen for few seconds and exits.
I would really like if any one could help me as I want to make calls sms and ussd through my e1550 modem as my android is broken.
(Edit: I got version 15 mobile partner installed and working. But it only can send sms, no calling or ussd support. :( )

One shocking thing is,
My 22" lcd is connected to dvi and 17" crt to vga.
In openbox after some time (around 1hr) screen on 17"crt gets blurry  can't read anything on it.
This dosen't happen in Jwm.  :shock:
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

jamesbond

#260 Post by jamesbond »

Thanks WillM for clearing the air about openssl issue.

As per the second post update:
multi-monitor setup using radeon driver:
There was a bug enabling multi-monitor setup using the radeon driver for certain Radeon chips. It was a kernel bug and open for quite sometime; and is only recently fixed. Here is the bug report: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=58121. The bug manifest itself by the inability to display laptop panel and VGA output at the same time; and here is the updated module (it is a pet that you need to install): http://www.smokey01.com/jamesbond/fatdo ... 3.12.9.pet.

Depending on the problem faced by neraajkolte, this may fix it.
I found the same thing on net while googling but after doing this what I get is first x sessions on both monitors at ctrl+alt+F4 and another x session on both monitors at ctrl+alt+F5.
I have not been following the discussion (because I didn't use multi-monitor setup myself so I have nothing intelligent to add before): but why do you want to do this?
Why don't just run one X session for both monitors?
Also Has any one installed Mobile partner in Fatdog64.
What is mobile partner?
One shocking thing is,
My 22" lcd is connected to dvi and 17" crt to vga.
In openbox after some time (around 1hr) screen on 17"crt gets blurry can't read anything on it.
I no longer have any CRT, so I can't say. But with dual-head setup I have now is LCD VGA + laptop panel. We'll see how long it will last :)
I suspect it may be related to screen refresh issue; older CRTs can't stand fast refresh rate for too long. You can use zarfy (aka "display properties" from control panel) to change it.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]