#31 Post by L18L »

joaomcteixeira wrote:Code:
# cd /usr/share/dropbox/
# ls
dropbox
# ./dropbox
sh: ./dropbox: No such file or directory
#

And I got that "No such file or directory" error...

it happened the same for firefox. (later I installed nighty from repos)

any clues why this error??
Executables are usually not under /usr/share/

Code: Select all

# which firefox
/usr/bin/firefox
# 
try

which dropbox

jamesbond

#32 Post by jamesbond »

RE: Catalyst drivers - I think you guys got it lucky with it up and running (without the promised acceleration perhaps, but at least up and running). All I got here in my dual-radeon laptop is a black screen :( Anyway, as Kirk said, it is a beta driver ...
prehistoric wrote:With other systems there are workarounds for invisible cursor syndrome. Do these apply here?
Do you have links for these? I do have a desktop that uses embedded nVidia graphics (an old one by today's standard) but I don't run it long enough for this to happen.
As I recall from past experience with other systems on this motherboard this does not happen with official nVidia drivers. It would be nice to have those when possible.
Yes, it's coming, but don't get your hopes too high. We use a very recent Xorg version (1.15.0) and in the recent past all attempts to build a working package has failed (smokey can attest to this).
The terminal commands "update"/"updatedb" which is suppose to support the locate command do not work
EDIT: You need devx installed for this to work.
Added additional desktops before entering ControlPanel>Localization>SetLocale; upon setting selected the option to allow X resttart. When desktop restarted, additional desktops were reset to the 2 at startup.
Yes, this is a regression, as L18L pointed out in post before and after yours. Your chosen locale is in fact used, but every time the choose locale will always show "C" as your current locale.
L18L wrote:No. We can I have done it.
I was being an idiot for not seeing the obvious. Fixed.
Each item I select in Control Panel gets X restart Localizations, Hostname, etc. (Maybe an option for BarryK's "FirstRUN" where all of this is set in a single screen may be a good future option for FATDOG)
You can always say "No" to the prompt and only restarts them on the final change ...
chiron wrote:closing the lid works fine, puts the machine into suspend. Opening the lid up again, disks spin up, screen flickers, screen stays black with backlight on
I get the same result as you. I never get "resume" to work with my radeon-based laptop. Kirk has been more successful with Intel graphics. I don't have a solution here unless you can point out a version of Puppy (Slacko, Dpup or whatever) that has the suspend feature working for you; and perhaps we can apply the lesson from them.
One question, what distro's repositories can I use (inside the FD paket manager) to get additional software?
Fatdog is not based on any other distro. Thus there isn't any other distro list in the Package Manager. You may be able to use Debian amd64 packages from the time of Fatdog64 600 was first built (early 2012) - can't remember the series name now. Download them, then click to install the DEBs --- do not attempt to install directly from the browser.
...I miss some blinking globe or something to tell me I'm online...
There may be a way to re-create that blinking network icon.
Last edited by jamesbond on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

joaomcteixeira

#33 Post by joaomcteixeira »

there is no dropbox on which.

The thing is,

I am trying to run an executable file from a folder, which I can see in the file manager and in the terminal and than I get the error

"No such file your directory"

I can see the file, but when I go to run the systems says the file is "not there".

never got this error before..

the problem with firefox was similar. I downloaded the firefox.tar from the website, unpacked it, ./firefox (like allways).... "No such file your directory".

:shock:

jamesbond

#34 Post by jamesbond »

joaomcteixeira wrote:there is no dropbox on which.

The thing is,

I am trying to run an executable file from a folder, which I can see in the file manager and in the terminal and than I get the error

"No such file your directory"

I can see the file, but when I go to run the systems says the file is "not there".
Where do you install the dropbox from?
never got this error before..

the problem with firefox was similar. I downloaded the firefox.tar from the website, unpacked it, ./firefox (like allways).... "No such file your directory".

:shock:
Which firefox did you install? Are you sure you get the 64-bit version?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

L18L

Re: fix for quote in Fatdog package manager script

#35 Post by L18L »

prehistoric wrote:Here's the simple fix to get downloaded file names in the message box of the package manager script. Single quotes prevent evaluation of $FILE. I've included the first few lines to show context. The fix is a one-liner.

download_file() {
	local wgetpid progress
	local FILE MSG
	FILE=$1
	MSG="$(eval_gettext 'Downloading '$FILE '...')"
Don't know what you want to fix....

But here is a working fix for line 195 of /usr/sbin/fatdog/package-manager.sh:

#		gtk gtk_progress_bar_set_text $DL_PROGRESS "$MSG" $progress
		gtk gtk_progress_bar_set_text $DL_PROGRESS ""$MSG"" $progress
and let

download_file() {
	local wgetpid progress
	local FILE MSG
	FILE=$1
	MSG="$(eval_gettext 'Downloading $FILE ...')"
untouched.

Attachments
FPM_downloading_FILE.png
file name permanently in progress bar now
(10.9 KiB) Downloaded 1925 times
Last edited by L18L on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

joaomcteixeira

#36 Post by joaomcteixeira »

I installed it from here

http://sourceforge.net/projects/puppyst ... /Internet/

you were right... it was a 32-bit version hmmm :oops: :oops: :oops:

sorry, just new on 64-bit systems..

:?: would fatdog64 deal with dropbox_1.6.0_amd64.deb :?:

gotta try...

chiron²

#37 Post by chiron² »

chiron wrote:closing the lid works fine, puts the machine into suspend. Opening the lid up again, disks spin up, screen flickers, screen stays black with backlight on
I get the same result as you. I never get "resume" to work with my radeon-based laptop. Kirk has been more successful with Intel graphics. I don't have a solution here unless you can point out a version of Puppy (Slacko, Dpup or whatever) that has the suspend feature working for you; and perhaps we can apply the lesson from them.

FD600 works fine, for example ;) And did from the ground up. Same machine.
One question, what distro's repositories can I use (inside the FD paket manager) to get additional software?
Fatdog is not based on any other distro. Thus there isn't any other distro list in the Package Manager. You may be able to use Debian amd64 packages from the time of Fatdog64 600 was first built (early 2012) - can't remember the series name now. Download them, then click to install the DEBs --- do not attempt to install directly from the browser.

The way I did in FD600 sometimes succesful, sometimes less so. It's a pain in the lower back to trace dependencies manually ;)

After having installed some KDE Science Apps (including, of course, KDE...) with just a few clicks in slacko, I was wondering, if there might be some automated process in FD, too.

joaomcteixeira

#38 Post by joaomcteixeira »

Other question:

How can I manually save my session (from RAM to savefile) if I don't have the big red button on the desktop?

prehistoric

#39 Post by prehistoric »

Still having mysterious hangs on some boots. Also, non-repeatable problems with USB mouse on KVM switch. Some boots I don't get it recognized, some I do. Currently using two mice.

DC

pipelight

#40 Post by DC »

Hi,
Firstly things working fine from my point of interest.
NFS for NAS box
DVB with VLC
Conky 1.6.1
Libreoffice 4.2

Has anybody tried to get Pipelight working in any puppies? I've had it working for a test page in slacko 5.6 but can not get it working with BTsport (UK). In Mint 16 BTsport plays fine with pipelight 5.0

edit:
Also got it working in Mint 16 64bit using Ubuntu install

I'd like to get it working in Fatdog.

thanks
dc
Last edited by DC on Fri 14 Feb 2014, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
a little bit of knowledge and I'm dangerous

joaomcteixeira

#41 Post by joaomcteixeira »

Hi there,

a naive question:

why is that fatdog continuously runs kswap0 (consumes 25% of my CPU) and puppy linux precise does not?

is there any way to disable this process? can that even be done?

I am using Folding@Home in FatDog with 3 cores performing continuously. With kswap0 consuming also the remaining core.. things go a bit slowly sometimes and CPUs heat up ...

regards

kirk

#42 Post by kirk »

why is that fatdog continuously runs kswap0 (consumes 25% of my CPU)
I don't have that. Is there some sequence of events that will trigger that for you or does it do it all the time and immediately after booting? Hmm...there does seem to be a lot of google hits for that.
Has anybody tried to get Pipelight working in any puppies?
First I've heard of it. I'll take a look.
get the same result as you. I never get "resume" to work with my radeon-based laptop. Kirk has been more successful with Intel graphics. I don't have a solution here unless you can point out a version of Puppy (Slacko, Dpup or whatever) that has the suspend feature working for you; and perhaps we can apply the lesson from them.

FD600 works fine, for example Wink And did from the ground up. Same machine.
This is usually a kernel bug in one module. If you can find which module is causing it to hang then you might be able to unload the module before suspend and reload after. The script to modify would be /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh. You might get some clues by looking in /var/log/messages.old after you reboot. If it's radeon hanging it, you're probably out of luck.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-630 Final (February 11 2014)

#43 Post by Billtoo »

Installed to a 16gb SDHC card, computer is a lenovo ThinkCentre.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Fri 14 Feb 2014 on Fatdog64 630 Linux 3.12.9 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GT216 Board - 0682vb12 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.15.0
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 220/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.119

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2003 1: @2003 MHz

So far so good, I got the proprietary nvidia driver installed.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(46.74 KiB) Downloaded 1647 times

Ted Dog

#44 Post by Ted Dog »

there is a issue with icon on last partion on a usb flashdrive (quirky6 tahr on flfs ) flashes on off continues til reboot not happens everytime..Also a modprobe for a pci:?????????? errors out repeatively. Shows up on full terminal during shutdown. :x
Tested 621 with all ati extra drivers and all had issue and turns out newer 630 works better then past and next kernel number is said to fix speed with ATI to unheard of levels without anyone able to figure why.

prehistoric

#45 Post by prehistoric »

I've switched to frame buffer graphics on this machine with embedded Nvidia video. I never could avoid either video hangs on some boots or having the cursor disappear after some hours. A compiled Nvidia driver would be nice.

When I tried the screensaver option on the desktop, it said it was already set to 600 seconds, and blanking by turning the display off, but this never happened. Tried to turn it off and back on, in hopes this would trigger an event which would start it working, but nothing happened.

My post about the missing message in the package manager may have been in error because I was testing on different displays. It is possible my edit changed the format so that the file name was visible, when it was previously too long to show because of initial whitespace.

I confess I was quite happy with the ugly but informative command line window in Puppy package managers, so I may be prejudiced.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-630 Final (February 11 2014)

#46 Post by Billtoo »

Installed to a 16gb usb 3.0 flash drive, computer is an Acer laptop.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sat 15 Feb 2014 on Fatdog64 630 Linux 3.12.9 x86_64
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 0166 (rev 09)
oem: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0
X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.15.0
dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.0.3

Working well.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(31.49 KiB) Downloaded 1209 times

don570

#47 Post by don570 »

Nice feature of Fatdog is built in wacom tablet driver
that works out of the box :lol:

Just plug in tablet and set the mtPaint preference
stylus to screen etc.

Tick the opacity etc boxes

prehistoric

#48 Post by prehistoric »

@don570,

Nice, now all I need is desk space for that 18"X12" tablet.

----

Minor problem: when I click download arrow on the Nightly toolbar, and ask to open the Download folder, I get three windows. Can anyone guess why?

Positive note: no more video problems while using FB driver.

Never had problems on the machine with Intel graphics.

jamesbond

#49 Post by jamesbond »

prehistoric wrote:@don570,

Nice, now all I need is desk space for that 18"X12" tablet.

----

Minor problem: when I click download arrow on the Nightly toolbar, and ask to open the Download folder, I get three windows. Can anyone guess why?

Positive note: no more video problems while using FB driver.

Never had problems on the machine with Intel graphics.
Prehistoric, I posted nvidia drivers - nvidia-legacy and nvidia. I tested nvidia-legacy, it worked (ie it boots and youtube plays fine). I see that Billtoo has compiled his own nvidia drivers (the legacy version) and it also works fine. I don't, however, have any hardware to test the new nvidia driver, so YMMV. They are in the FPM (or you download directly from ibiblio/nluug as usual).
FD600 works fine, for example Wink And did from the ground up. Same machine.
Not fair ! :lol: FD600 is using (by today's standards) ancient kernel; a lot have changed between then and now. You need to find an example that works with a recent kernel. As kirk said, it's probably one of the kernel modules.
After having installed some KDE Science Apps (including, of course, KDE...) with just a few clicks in slacko, I was wondering, if there might be some automated process in FD, too.
No, sorry, because nobody has compiled (either from scratch or from other distros) KDE and KDE related apps yet ... :roll: I missed stellarium too.

Fabio T

Network connection works badly

#50 Post by Fabio T »

Version 630 final works well, it is easy to fix all little bugs in it.

I like very much the option of filesave not packed in .sfs file (no risk to hang system when install a large package).

I would to list some little problems:

-QuickApps link that is in root directory don't works. Fix is to create a link with fatdog-quickapps.sh in this directory but without delete QuicKApps directory otherwise link no longer works;

-Bluetooth finally works out of the box (in FatDog64 630 RC2 it was necessary to create a little script in directory Startup that starts bluetooth service) but BlueTooth icon in taskbar after a few reboots is disappearing... perhaps conflict with an .SFS?

-The more annoying problem is losting of configuration of wireless Wi-Fi network: I must enter at EVERY REBOOT the configuration in net-setup.sh and after i must launch Puppy Network Wizard and to set same parameters to obtain Wi-Fi working.

I have a hidden network with restricted access (MAC) and WPA2 encryption (it was recognized as a WPA). but unfortunally, wpa_gui and Puppy Network Wizard work better in FatDog 630 RC2 (I don't like net-setup.sh)

I would to get rid of wpa_gui and net-setup.-sh: there is a chance to obtain a copy of Frisbee (It works fantastically to me in LightHouse)?

Thanx

Fabio