Fatdog64-630 & 631 Final (May 12 2014)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Moat

#391 Post by Moat »

Step -

Another great FF addon is Quick Java (screenshot attached), with small toolbar buttons of your choice to toggle on/off Java script, Flash, animated images, cookies, etc... even the option of re-loading the page when toggled.

As to the .desktop file issue - I'd open your new .desktop file in the text editor, and open another existing .desktop file alongside it - one that is already displaying itself properly from the menu category you're shooting for - then compare the 'Categories' entries of both and tweak your new one's text line there to "look" like (even copy) the existing one.

I believe the menu system references that specific text line at boot/starting X to determine where to place an item - if it's not a recognizable line, or points to a non-existent category, it won't show up in the menu. Then running 'fixmenus' in CLI or re-starting X should do the trick.

Bob
Attachments
Quick Java FF addon.jpg
(7.56 KiB) Downloaded 560 times

Pavan

#392 Post by Pavan »

Pavan wrote:Can anyone tell me how to install Nvidia 64bit drivers for fatdog as i have this annoying ripple / bar that appears when i fast scroll.

I also occasionally get blocks when playing VLC.

I don't ever get either of these problems when using windows , hope it's just a video driver as i want to use Fatdog all the time now.
Sorry to bump this but i've been sitting here for hours hoping to try and resolve this. :(

Ted Dog

#393 Post by Ted Dog »

download reboot and 8t should work fine. However I still get a line sometimes WITH NV drivers. After installed and rebooted find the blank on sync or something like that to redues line.

Pavan

#394 Post by Pavan »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/600/

I couldn't find a pet for the latest 331.79 version but i tried the ones in the above link on 3 different computers and i get the same error everytime that X desktop refuses to restart.

I tried nvida-xconfig at the prompt and it said it had altered X conf but it still refuses to start.

So i tried xorgwizard and only option that would work is the nouveau at 640x480 so i had to shutdown.

Sigh!

Sage

#395 Post by Sage »

I'll see if there is a newer flash version, if I find one we'll make a pet out of it (or give the instructions to use it)
@jamesbond, flash is the usual suspect,
Yes, FP is a serious issue for FD. But it may not be a newer version that's needed as we already know that the v.10 advocated by Terryphi many years ago for 32bit solves all the problems, esp. BBC iPlayer. So yes, again, find the v.10 beta or 'instructions' on its use or someone who can reverse engineer how Mint manages to make v.11 work. The importance of a working flash is that one not only has a PC-TV but also TV-on-demand (time lapsed) without more boxes and cables.

Pavan

#396 Post by Pavan »

Well i found out what i was doing wrong. :oops:

I needed to make a save file at shutdown rather than trying to restart X to get the Nvidia drivers to work and load.

Though it hasn't made any difference and i still get this annoying ripple when the screen is scrolling or you move a web page up and down , It's like the graphics are going over a hump.

It even does it when running VLC when the picture moves up and down it makes a ripple / tear and i've tried changing all the settings in the Nvida control panel without any success.

I'm totally lost as it does the same on 3 different computers with different Nvidia cards and 3 different brands of Monitors. :headscratch:

Yet running Windows they are all as smooth as glass.

I'm close to tears with fustration as i thought i'd found my perfect OS yet this is totally ruining it and i have no idea if or how it can be fixed.

:cry:

Ted Dog

#397 Post by Ted Dog »

did you change refresh rate? out of the box the rate is set for European 50hz besure it matches whatever it is in your region. Also sounds like interference wave.

Ted Dog

#398 Post by Ted Dog »

Also use a fresh new save file between testing different versions of same named but different dated pets. Things get goofy between pets. Which version of fatdog64? 630 needs a xwindows update pet as well where 631 does not.

Pavan

#399 Post by Pavan »

631 and i'm saving between changes.

Just checked all the computers and they all say 60hz refresh and they have all chosen the correct resolution 1080p / 1920x1200 etc etc.

Odd that it is the same across all computers , it's like a thin horizontal band of the screen is going past one of those magnifying rulers and it's never in the same place.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... SX300_.jpg

http://www.magnifyingglasses.co.uk/acatalog/bar1.jpg

When i get a chance i'll try Mint , Ubuntu and puppy 32 to see if it's the same.

neerajkolte

#400 Post by neerajkolte »

Pavan wrote:Anyone tried BleachBit with FatDog64?
I installed Bleachbit from source as per instructions on it's site. Had to install pytgtk (not sure about the name, it's a gtk frontend for python, I am at work now).
It ran ok cleaned many files. Gave message of 24Mb space saved (my save file is quite newer).
Fatdog was running ok with no apparent damage.
Will investigate further.

Thanks

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

gcmartin

#401 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Neerajkolte

Is there any chance you can present your Bleachbit-v1.0 as a PET for the FATDOG REPO?

Thanks if you can.

Pavan

#402 Post by Pavan »

neerajkolte wrote:
Pavan wrote:Anyone tried BleachBit with FatDog64?
I installed Bleachbit from source as per instructions on it's site. Had to install pytgtk (not sure about the name, it's a gtk frontend for python, I am at work now).
It ran ok cleaned many files. Gave message of 24Mb space saved (my save file is quite newer).
Fatdog was running ok with no apparent damage.
Will investigate further.

Thanks

- Neeraj.
Thanks for the feedback

Do you know if the install took a lot of space?

grump

Google Chrome cannot be run as root

#403 Post by grump »

This got a thread of it's own but I thought I was putting it in the PhatDag thread, so I'm reposting.

I've installed Google Chrome from the PhatdogPM and it works nicely thank you. I dragged and dropped it's icon from the menu to the desktop, but when I clicked the icon to start Chrome it told me this:

"Please start Google Chrome as a normal user. To
run as root, you must specify an alternative -user-
data-dir for storage of profile information."

What do I need to do to get Chrome to run from the desktop and save myself two clicks?

Yoni

#404 Post by Yoni »

Just noticed that i have the exact same problem as pavan. :shock:

When i slide the side scroll bar up and down in firefox i also get bands of horizontal distorted ripples. :(

I disabled smooth scolling and hardware acceleration but it made absolutely no difference.

It seems to be the actual desktop itself rather than a firefox issue as i also get the same problems with VLC as pavan is having , yet the same 1080p file plays smoothly in windows with no horizontal bands of distortion or tearing.

Isn't there any V-sync , H-sync settings to force desktop sync?

:?:

neerajkolte

#405 Post by neerajkolte »

gcmartin wrote:Hello @Neerajkolte
Is there any chance you can present your Bleachbit-v1.0 as a PET for the FATDOG REPO?
Thanks if you can.
All I did to run Bleachbit was,
downloaded the tarball and simply ran these commands:

Code: Select all

tar xvjf bleachbit-1.0.tar.bz2
cd bleachbit-1.0
make -C po local
python bleachbit.py
I haven't yet got around to learn how to make pets I keep on planning to learn though. :wink:
Actually I have read and know the steps but I don't know what exactly "configure", "make" do exactly so I thought I should learn that first.

Anyway I did this after "make -C po local"

new2dir make install
cd ..
dir2pet bleachbit-1.0-x86_64
And I am uploading the pet that it created. (I dont know what to trim from it so it may be fat. It's my first attempt to make pet. Also I was confused when dir2pet asked about dependancies as I know it required pygtk but I suppose it might also need python as I had dev sfs loaded, it didn't ask for it while running. So I kept dependencies blank)
Pavan wrote:Do you know if the install took a lot of space?
the un-tarred folder weights 4425K, The pet I created says it will acquire 1736K space.
I don't know how much space in savefile it acquires (can't check now as I have deleted save file, yes I do that sometimes on whim). I also had to install pygtk.

Edit: Sorry friends don't download the pet yet. The menu entry it creates in system section dosen't run it. And If I type bleachbit in terminal it gives

# bleachbit 

** (process:21709): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GMountMountFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:21709): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GDriveStartFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:21709): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GSocketMsgFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/bleachbit", line 47, in <module>
    import bleachbit.GUI
ImportError: No module named bleachbit.GUI
I don't know what I should do. (This is why I should have learned basics first)
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

jamesbond

Re: Google Chrome cannot be run as root

#406 Post by jamesbond »

grump wrote:This got a thread of it's own but I thought I was putting it in the PhatDag thread, so I'm reposting.

I've installed Google Chrome from the PhatdogPM and it works nicely thank you. I dragged and dropped it's icon from the menu to the desktop, but when I clicked the icon to start Chrome it told me this:

"Please start Google Chrome as a normal user. To
run as root, you must specify an alternative -user-
data-dir for storage of profile information."

What do I need to do to get Chrome to run from the desktop and save myself two clicks?
Edit the /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop, change the "Exec" line from "/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" to "/usr/bin/google-chrome".

EDIT: Fixed and re-uploaded this in the SFS and re-upload. The fix runs chrome as "root" by default. If you want to run as "spot", use /usr/bin/google-chrome-spot instead.

For Pavan and Yoni, I'm sorry I can't help you much, I only have old Nvidia card that can only run with nvidia-legacy drivers (and it works well with the open source drivers too). I may be able to package the newer drivers but that's as much as I can do as I don't have the hardware to test newer drivers. I hope that other Fatdog users can help you with this.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

JustGreg

#407 Post by JustGreg »

I use an Ethernet connection for networking and not a wireless one. I disabled the wpa-gui and used the network wizard in control panel. I noticed it is not original network wizard (/usr/sbin/net-wizard.sh) of Puppy. I got DHCP to work. At next boot, DHCPD was not running. I checked the FAQ for the network and followed the instructions. The same results.

It is not clear how to set up an Ethernet connection with auto DHCP assignment of an IP address.

At this time, I am using the following code in a file (ip-get) located in the startup folder:

#!/bin/sh
## modify this script to include your interface name
## Setups DHCP on Fatdog 64
## 3 June 2014 JustGreg
# echo "Running dhcpcd address service"
 if [ -e /var/run/dhcpc/*.pid ]; then rm /var/run/dhcpc/dhcpcd-*.pid; fi
 rm /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-*.*
 dhcpcd -t 30 -d -h fatdog64  eth0
This is not a real problem for me, but. I thought I would post it. As always, thank you for your efforts on FATDOG64. For me, it is still the best 64 bit version of Puppy.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

jamesbond

#408 Post by jamesbond »

JustGreg, thank you for your kind words. Yes, the "network-wizard" is new, replaced with a console-based version to ensure that it can be setup and run even when GUI is not running. Anyway, to create auto-dhcp connection for eth0 - just launch network-setup.sh, choose "configure ip address", then "eth0", then "autoconfigure". If this doesn't work for you, you have hit a bug - and I will need to look at it.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Ted Dog

#409 Post by Ted Dog »

Yoni wrote:Just noticed that i have the exact same problem as pavan. :shock:

When i slide the side scroll bar up and down in firefox i also get bands of horizontal distorted ripples. :(

I disabled smooth scolling and hardware acceleration but it made absolutely no difference.

It seems to be the actual desktop itself rather than a firefox issue as i also get the same problems with VLC as pavan is having , yet the same 1080p file plays smoothly in windows with no horizontal bands of distortion or tearing.

Isn't there any V-sync , H-sync settings to force desktop sync?

Oh that issue with firefox. happens on textbox and white backgrounds has nothing to due with video drivers besure the spell checking dictionary matchs your country code and try a standard build. Increase default cashe size. I have battled that issue for a while it acted fixed but do not now. Seems to happen witb me if I have auto corrected on and make lots of mistakes..
I think fatdog is still setup as Great Britain English.
:?:
opps I hate when it does that my reply is last paragraph :wink:

gcmartin

#410 Post by gcmartin »

Can anyone contribute any insights to the problem that @Neerajkolte is having?