Fatdog64-630 & 631 Final (May 12 2014)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Billtoo

Fatdog64-630 & 631 Final (May 12 2014)

#436 Post by Billtoo »

I installed the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.17.run proprietary driver,
it's a little difficult because the screen scrambled when it's
compiling but once finished it's working fine.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(39.77 KiB) Downloaded 503 times

gcmartin

#437 Post by gcmartin »

jamesbond wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Thanks
Nice work, tested on a single adapter machine. Will Kirk's network updates be added back in for multi-adapter motherboards?
I can't find the post related to that. Please give the link so I can review what you mean.
@Kirk had provided this for community after I raised the flag in FATDOG5xx days, as I remember.

Maybe its best to refer this to Kirk for resolution.

What occurs is that when system boots, upon arrival at desktop the system has not sensed that the "active" adapter (the one with the ethernet cable plugged in and connected to the switch). In fact, now, in recent versions, the design appears to ONLY DHCPD the eth0 disregarding any other (this behaves as if it is hardcoded to ONLY look one way and ignore others. Thus, one can conclude that all other options were discarded for some reason.).

In this case, the "active" adapter is eth1, even though eth0 is present. (eth0 is inactive and actually used for another mission and is not the normal FD path to DHCP router)

Again, maybe @Kirk should address this as he did understand the resolution and solved it before.

Pavan

Re: Fatdog64-630 & 631 Final (May 12 2014)

#438 Post by Pavan »

Billtoo wrote:I installed the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.17.run proprietary driver,
it's a little difficult because the screen scrambled when it's
compiling but once finished it's working fine.
What Nvidia card are you using and any problems with tearing or ripples?

:?:

Billtoo

Re: Fatdog64-630 & 631 Final (May 12 2014)

#439 Post by Billtoo »

Pavan wrote: What Nvidia card are you using and any problems with tearing or ripples?
:?:
This is from hardinfo:

OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Version 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.17
Direct Rendering Yes

It's working well, no tearing etc.
Attachments
youtubescreen.jpg
(32.66 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
screenshot3.jpg
(41.14 KiB) Downloaded 414 times

Pavan

#440 Post by Pavan »

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates-text&pps=120

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates-text&pps=240

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates-text&pps=360

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates-text&pps=480

Billtoo

Just to confirm you can run the above browser tests and the text scrolls perfectly flat, smooth and readable with out any judder,ripple lines or stutter ?

Thanks

Billtoo

#441 Post by Billtoo »

Pavan wrote: Just to confirm you can run the above browser tests and the text scrolls perfectly flat, smooth and readable with out any judder,ripple lines or stutter ?
Thanks
I ran the tests, there was no tearing but there was ripple lines, scrolling was smooth.

EDIT:
I just booted up my Quirky Tahr install and ran the test using the 32bit driver on the same computer, the results were the same.
Attachments
32bitinQuirkyTahr.jpg
(67.84 KiB) Downloaded 391 times

Wognath

A forum topic for Fatdog questions

#442 Post by Wognath »

Hello Fatdog users,
Recently, I have posted a few nuts-and-bolts questions about Fatdog, but I was perplexed about where to put them. I'm still using 620, so the 630 thread didn't seem to be the right place, while the 620 thread is pretty old. Anyway, my questions were general and not about a particular release. I finally posted in "Users (For the regulars)", but I didn't get any replies.

So let me suggest establishing a forum sub-topic, or at least a thread, for general Fatdog questions. What do you think?

*Thanks to James and Kirk for this great OS.*

jamesbond

#443 Post by jamesbond »

JustGreg wrote:No, it happens with network-setup.sh. If you open network-setup.sh in terminal mode with the menu and just exit, I found that the dhcpcd stopped. Using network-setup.sh activate eth0 re-started everything as it soon.
Hmm, that's odd. First - I can't replicate the problem here, secondly - when I trace the code, I don't see any code that try to kill dhcpcd.
Again, maybe @Kirk should address this as he did understand the resolution and solved it before.
As you wish ;)

@Pavan, @Billtoo, try launching firefox, then at the URL bar type "about:config", click OK to bypass the warning, then in the display that comes out after that do a right-click, choose "New" --> "Boolean", then in the preference name type "layout.paint_rects_separately", then set the value to "true". Restart firefox, and see if the problem still happens. It fixed one of my screen corruption problem in firefox, it may help yours.

@Wognath, thank you for your kind words.
Wognath wrote:So let me suggest establishing a forum sub-topic, or at least a thread, for general Fatdog questions. What do you think?
Agreed. I prefer a subforum rather than a thread, though, because I feel that a long-running thread (e.g. puppeee or puppy 2.14 that went hundreds of pages) is not effective, the same questions get repeated over and over again because nobody bothers to read the previous hundred pages or so (I know I don't).

To get a subforum you need to ask John Murga, though, not me. I'm just a guest here, just like you and everybody else :) Just for your info, sometime ago q5sys asked John Murga to create a 64-bit sub-forum. It didn't happen, because he was too busy. You can try to ask him again.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Pavan

#444 Post by Pavan »

@ Billtoo

Thanks for confirming you have scroll ripple like me and the others , Had hoped the latest driver would fix it but alas not. :(

@ JamesBond

Thanks for the paint layout tip , I'll give it a go over the weekend when i get home , though i can't imagine if it will make any difference to flash player ripples unless that also uses paint layout.

I will also try that suggestion Kirk gave to Wilbert for trying the nouveau drivers with Vblank enabled to see if it's any different but i do already have it enabled in the Nvidia proprietary drivers but that seems to do nothing.

Annoying thing about the nouveau drivers is there are no desktop controls for Brightness and colour so you can leave the monitor settings alone.

Pavan

#445 Post by Pavan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xkNy9gfKOg

Billtoo

If you go to the cog settings at the above youtube clip and set it to 1080p full screen do the lines stay straight or do the run rippled and jagged?

You might have to restart the clip when you choose 1080p

Thanks

*edit*

@ JamesBond

At first i thought layout.paint had fixed it but it only works on scripts like the test one when the scroll is at a constant speed in one direction.

If you go to a normal busy website like http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

That is full of different size text and pictures and move the side scoll bar up and down it still ripples like before and it makes no difference to flashplayer.

:(

Wilbert

#446 Post by Wilbert »

kirk wrote:That's not going to help. Video tearing is a video driver problem. I guess from your past couple posts you have an nvidia card. If you're using the included nouveau driver, you might try turning on GLXVBlank. Create a file called /usr/X11R7/lib64/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nouveau.conf and put this in it, and then restart X:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia card"
    Driver "nouveau"
    Option "GLXVBlank" "true"
EndSection
In VLC player it stopped the intermittent ripple only to end up with a intermittent judder.

Made no difference to webpage scroll of flashplayer ripples. :(

Pavan wrote:http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates-text&pps=240

Just to confirm you can run the above browser tests and the text scrolls perfectly flat, smooth and readable with out any judder,ripple lines or stutter ?
Ripple fest
jamesbond wrote:try launching firefox, then at the URL bar type "about:config", click OK to bypass the warning, then in the display that comes out after that do a right-click, choose "New" --> "Boolean", then in the preference name type "layout.paint_rects_separately", then set the value to "true". Restart firefox, and see if the problem still happens.
I can confirm the same as Pavan that it Fixed the ripple on the script applet but at standard rendered websites like bbc news with manual scroll the ripple is just the same.
Pavan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xkNy9gfKOg

do the lines stay straight or do the run rippled and jagged?
Jag fest , yet in windows including a very old low spec XP machine the lines are straight and in sync.

I don't understand why people say Linux is so superior to Windows when you can't even do something simple as scroll webpages or watch media without glitches.

That's not meant to sound rude and it wasn't aimed at fatdog the developers but i'm just so frustrated and fedup.

Sigh!

kirk

#447 Post by kirk »

I don't understand why people say Linux is so superior to Windows when you can't even do something simple as scroll webpages or watch media without glitches.
That's because someone else configured your Windows install for you. If you just popped in a Windows install disk and installed, your video would be awful, probably worse than this. You would need to install the video driver Nvidia makes. Nvidia does not support the open source Nouveau video driver, that included in Fatdog, in anyway. That's unlike ATI or Intel, so Nvidia is the most problematic video card for Linux. Like I said before, I would try the proprietary Nvidia driver. If you look at the first post of this thread there is information there about the two proprietary Nvidia drivers available.

gcmartin

#448 Post by gcmartin »

@Kirk, check your PM for a video offer.

Here to help

Wilbert

#449 Post by Wilbert »

kirk wrote:
That's because someone else configured your Windows install for you. If you just popped in a Windows install disk and installed, your video would be awful, probably worse than this. You would need to install the video driver Nvidia makes. Nvidia does not support the open source Nouveau video driver, that included in Fatdog, in anyway. That's unlike ATI or Intel, so Nvidia is the most problematic video card for Linux. Like I said before, I would try the proprietary Nvidia driver. If you look at the first post of this thread there is information there about the two proprietary Nvidia drivers available.
No one has ever configured my windows install but myself from the mid 90s windows 3.1 onwards.

Like Pavan i'm already running proprietary Nvidia driver and the Vblank doesn't seem to do anything enabled or disabled.

JustGreg

#450 Post by JustGreg »

James Bond wrote
JustGreg wrote:
No, it happens with network-setup.sh. If you open network-setup.sh in terminal mode with the menu and just exit, I found that the dhcpcd stopped. Using network-setup.sh activate eth0 re-started everything as it soon.

Hmm, that's odd. First - I can't replicate the problem here, secondly - when I trace the code, I don't see any code that try to kill dhcpcd.
I agree I can not see it in the code either. It may be the Compaq hardware, which is very low budget. I know about the effect and will not do it unless I really have to change something. Thank you for looking at it and we can consider this one closed.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Pavan

#451 Post by Pavan »

kirk wrote:

How can we install the proprietary Nvidia drivers and configure them when we already have and pointed out on here that it makes no difference ???

Billtoo has installed the latest Beta and confirmed he still has ripple.

Are we supposed to buy radeon cards just so we can use Fatdog?

If so then it should be promoted as a AMD/ATI only OS.
Wilbert wrote:I don't understand why people say Linux is so superior to Windows when you can't even do something simple as scroll webpages or watch media without glitches.
I couldn't agree more.

It's as ridiculous as people braggin that 4k TV electronics are better than 1080P electronics but what is the point if you can't actually watch it without the picture tearing , Because it doesn't matter how superior the technology is if what you actually look at is inferior.

Infact someone with a radeon card needs to confirm they don't have any scroll ripple or youtube tearing because i'm gonna be truly pissed if i spend $600 changing my workstations to Radeon cards to find out it's exactly the same.

Linux isn't free when you waste this much time on it.

Ted Dog

5.7M EQ Alaska just reported

#452 Post by Ted Dog »

tried with older version of fatdog64 621 did not see ripple.and my rtusb wifi dongle worked where it did not in fd631

Abdulrahman

#453 Post by Abdulrahman »

Not just Nvidia cards :(

i5-2500 & i5-3570

Using integrated graphics with a led backlit Dell IPS

Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"

When i slide the scroll bar on the right side of firefox i get horizontal warped lines which means i can't skim read webpages without stopping which is highly annoying and it is very distracting.

hardware acceleration , Smooth scrolling and "layout.paint_rects_separately" enabled or disabled makes no difference to the warped lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xkNy9gfKOg

The above tear test from youtube that Paven posted looks like a torn up chequerboard instead of straight black and white lines and i also get intermittent horizontal warped lines when playing youtube music videos.

None of the above are problems with Vista 32 bit or Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Lucky for me that i noticed this thread as i was about to buy a new 750 ti , so i also need it confirming that a radeon card does not have the above problems as i can't afford to keep changing hardware.

Abdulrahman

Yoni

#454 Post by Yoni »

Abdulrahman wrote:Not just Nvidia cards :(
Well that sucks

Thanks for letting us know as i had planned on trying the intel onboard GPU but now it's pointless so you saved the hassle.

devx loaded at boot.
Is DevX a PET file that needs to be installed ?

Thanks

LateAdopter

#455 Post by LateAdopter »

hello Pavan Wilbert Abdulrahman

You may be debating your tearing problems in the wrong forum. There is a lot of information on this in the media player forums. But I doubt that there is the same level of expertise here.

One issue that comes up a lot currently, in the XBMC forum, is the backing store, which needs to be disabled.

I'm not sure whether this relates to a new bug in the xserver, the nvidia driver, or whether the distros have changed the default configuration.

Also, I don't know whether it is enabled in Fatdog.

The other thing that needs checking is whether VDPAU hardware acceleration is configured and working in the browser. I think Fatdog has all of the bits necessary for this on Nvidia and Radeon UVD >=2.2 but my Radeon GPU is UVD 2.0, so I can't try it.

Kirk is right though. If you have a recent GPU and a recent version of Windows this was all tested and sorted out for you. So it would work straight away.

EDIT

This seems to be a problem with Xorg 1.15 which has reimplemented the backing store via the composite extension and has broken SDL 1.2 applications.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... disabled-/