Fatdog64-630 & 631 Final (May 12 2014)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Wilbert

#541 Post by Wilbert »

Wilbert wrote:Fatdog intel video driver

Does it have it's own brightness and contrast controls ?
Anyone?

A friend is thinking of building a low powered intel setup with fatdog.

Windows intel drivers often have brightness controls so wondered if fatdog intel drivers have the same?

kirk

#542 Post by kirk »

If we're talking about a laptop, then yes there are brightness controls for intel. But the details very depending on the laptop. See:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... tness.html

Wilbert

#543 Post by Wilbert »

not a laptop a desktop

i3-2120T 35w

Intel® HD Graphics 2000

kirk

#544 Post by kirk »

Might still apply to a desktop, don't know. Every desktop monitor I've seen has controls on it.

Wilbert

#545 Post by Wilbert »

kirk wrote:Every desktop monitor I've seen has controls on it.
So does your TV but you don't expect to have to walk across the room to change it.

If you have a dark picture on a page ( for example astronomy ) you shouldn't have to keep getting up from your computer chair to a wall mounted monitor 4 feet away to change the brightness back and forth.

:?:

Bindee

#546 Post by Bindee »

Exploit emerges for LZO algo hole for Firefox and Linux

gecko-mediaplayer being straight-up vulnerable.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/11 ... x_lzo_rce/

Is this a problem for fatdog users?

Thanks

Yoni

#547 Post by Yoni »

Does fatdog have any other players apart from VLC as standard?

Wonder if this exploit will be a problem with the VLC firefox plugin as a lot of people are talking abut this hack online.

LateAdopter

#548 Post by LateAdopter »

Yoni wrote:a lot of people are talking abut this hack online.
I think, if you filter out the noise, the few people who understand the code say that it only affects 32bit applications.

Pavan

#549 Post by Pavan »

LateAdopter wrote:
Yoni wrote:a lot of people are talking abut this hack online.
I think, if you filter out the noise, the few people who understand the code say that it only affects 32bit applications.
Thats only the kernal

https://www.mail-archive.com/langsec-di ... 00192.html

Linux kernel LZO
NOTE: Only i386/PowerPC are impacted at this time

But when using the media exploit.

Libav LZO
NOTE: ALL ARCHITECTURES/PLATFORMS are RCE capable

FFmpeg LZO
NOTE: ALL ARCHITECTURES/PLATFORMS are RCE capable

All users of FFmpeg, Libav, and projects that depend on them, should
consider themselves at risk to remote code execution.

Bindee

#550 Post by Bindee »

Yoni wrote:Does fatdog have any other players apart from VLC as standard?

Wonder if this exploit will be a problem with the VLC firefox plugin as a lot of people are talking abut this hack online.
I was concerned with the firefox VLC plugin.

Bindee

#551 Post by Bindee »

When running ram only does fatdog have any type of limit.

Will it see 32gb DDR3 as usable temp space?

:?:

neerajkolte

#552 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi Everyone,

I user TJK wanted to run puppy from external usb3 solid state hard drive (SSD) but also wanted to use latest kernel 3.15. See the discussion HERE.

So I suggested him to use stemsee's Fatdog64-631 with stable kernel 3.15.1.

Now he is has a problem
TJK wrote:Thanks everyone for your comments and suggests...

Neeraj, I decided to install the Fatdog64 that you suggested. I liked everything about it -- even an option to use a non-journaled Ext4.

One big problem, when quitting Fatdog64 I was given several options:
1) I was presented the root password and I chose to change it to one of my own.
2) I was given the option of various systems -- I chose non-journaled ext4 and I checked encrypted
3) I was asked to enter password for encryption
I think that was it...It powered down without incident.

Here's the problem, when I boot the computer into FatDog (using the USB bios option), FP does not locate the USB SSD!! I tried saving and quitting FP in different ways and same result. Anyone have a suggestion on how I can get FatDog64 to find the USB (and saved data)?
could anyone help.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

kirk

#553 Post by kirk »

Here's the problem, when I boot the computer into FatDog (using the USB bios option), FP does not locate the USB SSD!! I tried saving and quitting FP in different ways and same result. Anyone have a suggestion on how I can get FatDog64 to find the USB (and saved data)?
Probably need the waitdev boot parameter:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... tions.html
Will it see 32gb DDR3 as usable temp space?
Yep, minus what it sets aside for the main sfs and kernel.

pcpunk

#554 Post by pcpunk »

I am new to fatdog64 and don't know what this all means about the end of support or what ever. I am also trying to install but don't know where to put the "Save File" can some one help? Can't find much info on fatdog accept for this thread.

gcmartin

#555 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @PCpunk

If you have booted from a DVD, simply allow Fatdog to save back to the DVD. On reboot, Fatdog will take care of EVERYTHING for you without your need to do anything placing you in desktop as if you never left. Everything that FATDOG would ever need, resides on that DVD. It will not change any other peripherals your PC might have. Safe and stable!

If you attempt to change to other media from DVD, then some user planning is involved.

Hope this helps

kirk

#556 Post by kirk »

I am new to fatdog64 and don't know what this all means about the end of support or what ever. I am also trying to install but don't know where to put the "Save File" can some one help? Can't find much info on fatdog accept for this thread.
There's a few ways to do that. Generally it's best to put it on the root of a partition.

See:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/faq.html

and more specifically:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... drive.html

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... tions.html

You can specify where your savefile or save folder is located:

Code: Select all

Some examples:

savefile=direct:device:sda1 --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of /dev/sda1, save directly to it
    savefile=ram:device:sda2:/fd600/fd64save.3fs --- use savefile named fd64save.3fs located in /fd600 directory of /dev/sda2, use RAM layer
    savefile=ram:usb --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of the first found usb device, use RAM layer
    savefile=direct:multi --- use multisession on device /dev/sr0 

neerajkolte

Internet Data Counter

#557 Post by neerajkolte »

Can anyone suggest me any Data counter I can use in Fatdog.

I connect my droid by USB tethering, or sometimes I use my Huawei 3G modem.

I am on tight leash (only 1Gb/month plan).

I would like to keep informed how much I have used in my billing cycle.

Can a simple script be made?
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

gcmartin

#558 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Neerajkolte

You may want to use an app on your droid with an alarm built-in to signal milestones. Java apps can be made to work, too.

I'm not sure, but why tether with a cable? Could you wifi as a "spot" for your PC(s) to route thru?

We have begun to reach an age of integration beginning with marriage of these at home,

Hope this helps

neerajkolte

#559 Post by neerajkolte »

Thanks for reply gcmartin,

I don't have a wifi dongle that's why I tether through cable. Also wired brodband and wifi here are considerably costlier.

My droid is duel sim. One sim I use for cheaper calling and sms, other for cheap 3G internet.
Sometimes when I go out and somebody at home wants to use net, I remove the other sim and use the Huawei 3G modem for them.
That results in data traffic that droid can't count.
Of course when I get home I can put the sim back in my droid and dial USSD code to check from service provider.

But in my plan as it's cheaper, even slight data overage costs me more than the original plan itself.

I will be taking a dedicated sim for my computer then while using the 3G modem I will need something that will set monthly data limits.
Right now I need something that will set daily limit.

I have downloaded two software's source codes, namely vnstat-1.11.tar.gz and ntm-1.3.1.tar.gz.

I will give compiling them a try. I don't know if they will suit my needs, that's why I asked if somebody knows any software that's any good and previously used in fatdog.

By the way the Huawei 3G dongle that I use comes with a software called 'Mobile Dashboard', which works great in windows. I can set data limits, make and receive calls, sms and even dial USSD codes through it.
It also has Linux version which people on Ubuntu's forum claim works nicely. But I have failed to make it work in Fatdog. (see the discussion a month ago few pages back).

Thanks.

- Neeraj
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

Keef

#560 Post by Keef »

Wilbert wrote:
So does your TV but you don't expect to have to walk across the room to change it.
You want to get one of those new fangled remote controls. They are the next big thing apparently.