How to write to NTFS partition?

Booting, installing, newbie
Ylon

How to write to NTFS partition?

#1 Post by Ylon »

It's this possible with Puppylinux? need to know how-to; thanks everyone

Canadianpride

#2 Post by Canadianpride »

I don't know if it's possible with puppy 2.xx yet but it is with 1.XX I belive. http://puppylinux.org/user/downloads.php?cat_id=12 If you follow that link about halfway down the page is a zip file you can dowload. These are the instructions to use it If your hard drive is partitioned with a single NTFS partition you will need this.
Bootup Windows XP, download the file, unzip it (and you will then have a single file called pup001) and move it to C:\ (the top-level in the C: drive). Now reboot the Puppy live-CD and Puppy will use the pre-existing pup001 file as your home data file to keep all your personal files and settings.

You could also run a multisession cd or use a usb key to store your data if you want to use 2.xx
Hope this helped.
Matthew

MU

#3 Post by MU »

no.
Puppy1 had the option, to use pup001 or other files including their own Linux-filesystems on a ntfs-drive,
But you have to put them there from within Windows.

Puppy then does not write in the ntfs-filesystem, but in the ext-filesystem in that file.
Puppy2 has no such support think? Try it with loop.

See here for more:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7482
Mark

billstclair

#4 Post by billstclair »

Puppy 1 can only write to NTFS via a looped file system stored in a file that is created in Windows.

Puppy 2 can write to NTFS file systems, with some limitations on how much you can grow files. Don't remember the details. But it won't work with the regular "mount" command, used by the desktop icon. You have to use "ntfsmount". So, assuming your NTFS file system is on /dev/hda2, as mine is:

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/hda2
ntfsmount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
Does pretty much what the desktop icon does, but the result is writeable.

I don't know how buggy the write support is, though. You may munge your NTFS file system.

I have successfully written to a looped file system this way, and nothing bad happened, but I haven't tried creating or extending NTFS files from Puppy 2.

raffy

Puppy 2.01

#5 Post by raffy »

Start - Control Panel - Gparted will let you shrink an NTFS partition for creating swap and ext2 partitions for Puppy. Just defrag and surface-scan your hard disk in Windows, then do a normal shutdown. Load Puppy 2.01 and Gparted, and go! More on partitions here.

The ext2 partition will be used by Puppy for saving at shutdown time.

SnowDog

#6 Post by SnowDog »

Amen to Raffy's post.
I just did this very thing today on wifes pewtr so I could play on there ...she's got a better chair than me ;-). Works like a charm and way faster (seems like anyway) than booting into knoppix or mepis to do a similar thing.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.