Can't boot from hard drive

Booting, installing, newbie
hounddog2

Can't boot from hard drive

#1 Post by hounddog2 »

I tried loading info into LILO to boot puppy 2.01, no dice. Then I tried loading GRUB from puppy that didn't work either. Finally I went into Mandriva2006 as su and changed LILO to GRUB from there. I then loaded the info into GRUB from isolinux.cfg to start puppy 2.01. All I can get is 'error 15' and the system hangs. What is 'error 15' and what do I do to fix the problem so I can boot from my hard drive with GRUB?

#2 Post by avatar-man »

hi hounddog2 Don't know if this will solve your problem or not but I had similar issues with GRUB not configuring itself automatically and with Puppy not wanting to install properly to my hard drive until I used Gparted from within the Puppy Live CD session to create the partiton for Puppy and a swap file.

I also used an old MS DOS boot floppy to do a fdisk /mbr

After I did that I booted back to the Puppy Live CD and from a terminal session formatted the partition Puppy would be installed to.

After I did that Puppy installed just fine and the GRUB was set up for me automatically from the Puppy install script.

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

hounddog2,

more information required!

1) what's is the current configuration of your hard-disk and on which partition is puppy?

2) is puppy installed frugally or as option2?

3) where is grub installed to?

4) could you post an extract of your grub menu.lst file?

hounddog2

GRUB boot

#4 Post by hounddog2 »

muggins
I installed Puppy using the install on the Live CD. I don't know if that installed frugally or as option2. It is installed on hdd5 whicih is formated in FAT32. GRUB is loaded in the MBR of hda1 and works fine with everything else. GRUB was installed and is maintained in Mandriva2006, I haven't found a listing of all the info in GRUB and can not get into it from Puppy. GRUB sees Puppy but can't fine a file it needs to start.
Hounddog2

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Hound dog, how much RAM have you, and do you have a swap file?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

hounddog2

GRUB boot problem

#6 Post by hounddog2 »

Flash
I have 512 meg of ram as for swap files I have 512 meg for Windows and 512 meg for Mandriva but I did specify any for Puppy. It didn't say anything about createing a sway file. The boot crashes long before it looks for a sway file. It seems to be looking for a file to start the boot process.
Hounddog2

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

It appears to me that GRUB is working. I think it doesn't have the correct instructions in menu.lst to boot Puppy.

How about posting the booting lines from menu.lst?

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

hounddog2,

as you say it's on fat32 it must be a frugal install, where puppy just copies 3 files, (vmlinuz, initrd.gz & pup_20x.sfs for 20x pups or vmlinuz, image.gz & usr_cram.sfs for 1.xx pups), to the partition. It's about the first, or second?, choice the install script offers you, whether you want option 1 or 2, so you must have missed it.

as you already have a pre-existing grub install on you mbr, when puppyinstall asked you whether you wanted to install grub, you must have just pressed enter & the script terminated. It's then that you have to edit your menu.lst file, (which is usually located as : /mnt/hda1/boot/grub/menu.lst , to reflect where you've installed puppy).

e.g. if installed to hda5 you would add this to menu.lst:

title Puppy
rootnoverify(hd0,4)
kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd (hd0,4)/initrd.gz

(N.B. if vmlinuz & initrd.gz are in /boot then it would be:

title Puppy 2.01 frug (on /dev/hda9)
rootnoverify(hd0,8)
kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.gz

)

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

hounddog2,

as you say it's on fat32 it must be a frugal install, where puppy just copies 3 files, (vmlinuz, initrd.gz & pup_20x.sfs for 20x pups or vmlinuz, image.gz & usr_cram.sfs for 1.xx pups), to the partition. It's about the first, or second?, choice the install script offers you, whether you want option 1 or 2, so you must have missed it.

as you already have a pre-existing grub install on you mbr, when puppyinstall asked you whether you wanted to install grub, you must have just pressed enter & the script terminated. It's then that you have to edit your menu.lst file, (which is usually located as : /mnt/hda1/boot/grub/menu.lst , to reflect where you've installed puppy).

e.g. if installed to hda5 you would add this to menu.lst:

title Puppy
rootnoverify(hd0,4)
kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd (hd0,4)/initrd.gz

(N.B. if vmlinuz & initrd.gz are in /boot then it would be:

title Puppy
rootnoverify(hd0,4)
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.gz

)

hounddog2

GRUB can't boot puppy

#10 Post by hounddog2 »

Thank you all for your help. While tring to get GRUB to start Puppy I decided to try going back to LILO. Mandriva checks all entries in LILO before accepting them. It came back with a message that it couldn't find the files on hda1. I then realized I had to add /mnt/hdd5 so it would look in the right place for the files. Once it knew were to look everything worked. Thank you all for you assistance.
Hounddog2