Portable SeaMonkey

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Sky Aisling

Portable SeaMonkey

#46 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hil Philb,

I updated using the right click option.
Portable 5 still activates Seamonkey 2.6.1.

Sky Aisling

Portable SeaMonkey

#47 Post by Sky Aisling »

Here's update screen.
Attachments
capture5953.png
(37.18 KiB) Downloaded 631 times

Sky Aisling

Portable SeaMonkey

#48 Post by Sky Aisling »

I have partial success.

After doing the Portable 5 update I rebooted.
Seamonkey 2.39 did download into Portable 5.

However, now when either the desktop icon or Portable icon is activated the Portable update box activates and keeps updating Portable 5 unless I say, 'run now'.

How to get rid of the update panel?
I'm writing this on another machine.
I'll go see if I can send a screenshot.

Thank you.

edit: No go. Seamonkey crashes when I attempt to bypass the update box.
Last edited by Sky Aisling on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

Sky Aisling

Portable SeaMonkey

#49 Post by Sky Aisling »

OK, I've found a work-a-round.

I go to /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey and activate the work gear icon.
This gives me Seamonkey 2.39 without the Portable 5 update box and with my bookmarks transfered.
I've put that icon on the desktop then set a Seamonkey icon logo on it.

I'll go play with the 2.39 and give an update to this post in a few minutes.
Last edited by Sky Aisling on Sun 24 Jan 2016, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#50 Post by Semme »

I know I've mentioned /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey to you before.

Bkmrks were picked up because your settings folder remained intact.

Sky Aisling

Portable SeaMonkey

#51 Post by Sky Aisling »

Semme writes:
I know I've mentioned /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey to you before.
Yes, you have. And, I regularly use /usr/lib for reference.
However, as I've explained in this thread several times.
Prior to using Shinobar's Portable 5, I attempted the standard download of Seamonkey 2.39 tar file. The file was extracted and placed in /usr/lib, but, when activating /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey Seamonkey 2.6.1 still activated. That is the issue that brought me to Portable 5 as a possible fix.
It was only after Portable 5 update that /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey activated SM 2.39.

Sky

Semme

#52 Post by Semme »

With SM portable in the mix, you don't learn, you rely.

As soon as support disappears, most novice users are lost.

I try to uncover for peeps the behind the scenes principles that allow them to take the reigns for themselves.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Semme

#53 Post by Semme »

No comment? That's OK.. I'm sure PhilB will follow-up.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Sky Aisling

Portable SeaMonkey

#54 Post by Sky Aisling »

Semme,
I try to uncover for peeps the behind the scenes principles that allow them to take the reigns for themselves.
Yes, and, you do offer so much good help, thank you, Semme.

Taking the reigns is the way I prefer to work also.

Here is an update:

Seamonkey 2.39 is installed in the Toshiba Satellite 1415-S115 with maximum RAM of 512Mb.
The browser is running miserably slow, I'm guessing because of the low RAM. 512Mg of RAM is as much as the machine will take.
Too bad, because Seamonkey 2.6.1 which came in the original .iso of Wary 5.5 was running moderately fast.
I'd keep the Seamonkey 2.6.1, but, the ads completely clutter the screen. The user has eyesight issues and is tech adverse. If he sees an ad that says, 'click here and buy now', he's likely to believe it and follow through on the ad because, 'the computer told me too'.

I'll give the machine to him tomorrow, but, I'll recommend he get a newer, faster machine if he is to use contemporary connections. He is currently on a Dial Up system.

666philb and Semme
Thank you so much for the help.

gcmartin

Portable Seamonkey announces an error on any update attempt

#55 Post by gcmartin »

I am running portable Seamonkey on a 32bit Laptop. No matter which 32bit PUP I boot, I merely drag the portable executable to the desktop and run.

One problem is that I cannot update it. Whenever I attempt to using SeaMonkey's utility, I get the following message.
Is there a way to re-establish Seamonkey's ability for update-in-place for the portable version?

Semme

#56 Post by Semme »

You're gone? Nevermind..

Semme

#57 Post by Semme »

The Net say it's a certs issue. SM's *about* says you're running which version?

Semme

#58 Post by Semme »

:mrgreen: What? You put your pants on one leg @ a time?

gcmartin

#59 Post by gcmartin »

Update is solved by
  1. Shutting down all Seamonkey browser sessions
  2. right-click on the Seamonkey icon on the desktop
  3. Select Update ...
  4. Hit the Enter or OK on the Window that pops up
  5. When for coffee
  6. Click completion window to run
On another note, it appears someting is wrong with @Shinobar's site with the latest version of the portable Seamonkey utility. I cannot download it. I get a 0b file. And attempting to use wget results in unsuccessful loop attempts.

Are you having the same problem?

d1k

#60 Post by d1k »

Is it possible seamonkey works with latest youtube?
or is there a way someone explain how to use Shinobar-sans portable files to setup the latest Firefox or Opera VPN (Virtual Private Network looks good as I along with many not intereseted in Google products even Chrome as its used to violate our privacy and rights)

Semme

#61 Post by Semme »

The standard SM pkg works fine.

Eathray

#62 Post by Eathray »

Shinobar,

Thank you for making this. I used the portable installer 0.5 and with some trial and error found SeaMonkey 2.20 to perform very well on my older machine with an older Puppy, and render a bunch of sites for me that nothing else was fully rendering. This solved a bunch of troubles for me.

Can anyone advise me on where would be the best place to put this portable for remastering? I want to make it the default browser of my Puppy, and then I want to clean it up, get rid of everything unnecessary, and remaster it into a new iso. Where should I permanently park this portable SeaMonkey for remastering?

Thanks

Eathray

Mike Walsh

#63 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Eathray.

Semme can probably confirm ( or otherwise!) this for you, but I would think /usr/lib...where the FireFox directory usually lives, along with a regular bunch of other stuff.

Otherwise, park the entire thing in /mnt/home, and sym-link to the appropriate location.....either that, or point Pup to /mnt/home. The idea of the portables is, after all, that they don't occupy 'Puppy-space', in your save-file/folder.

I guess my browser installs count as 'portables' in a way. Every one of my browsers lives in sda1 (which is one of my 'Data' partitions), along with Grub4DOS and various other 'shared' stuff. They've all been painstakingly sym-linked to the appropriate locations in each Pup in the kennels, in such a way that the Pup thinks they're 'local' installs.....

Mike. :wink:

Eathray

#64 Post by Eathray »

Hey Mike,

Yeah it's actually in /mnt/home right now, but when I clean up all the clutter and remaster after all the changes I've made, I don't think it will be picked up from that location during a remaster. Once I do the remaster, I can always copy it out to /mnt/home again for use with other puppies, but I want this to be the default for this particular Pup, meaning inside the system. /usr/lib sounds right... hoping someone will confirm that's a good location.

I know, I'm actually using the portability benefit for a different purpose, a newer functional browser in an older puppy... but it's working LOL

anikin

#65 Post by anikin »

Eathray wrote:... Can anyone advise me on where would be the best place to put this portable for remastering? I want to make it the default browser of my Puppy, and then I want to clean it up, get rid of everything unnecessary, and remaster it into a new iso. Where should I permanently park this portable SeaMonkey for remastering? ...
In accordance with FHS guidlines the best place to put Seamonkey will be /opt. That's where mx/mepis/antiX installs it. That's also where Palemoon installs by default.
http://serverfault.com/questions/96416/ ... var-or-opt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesyste ... y_Standard