WEBM and Puppy Precise question

Using applications, configuring, problems
divisionmd

WEBM and Puppy Precise question

#1 Post by divisionmd »

Hello,

- I have Puppy Linux Precise here and want to test/view/watch: WEBM/VP9 and HTML5 HD movies.

- When i test with different browsers:

Opera, Chromium or Seamonkey - i dont get good quality playback of the movies.

Been testing alot of different test sites/urls/youtube web/html5 test movies.

But same result everywhere.

- I have an Nvidia card in the computer and want to watch movies without any stuttering.

Got the correct Nvidia drivers running (nvidia) - and for example vdpau and flashplayer works.

- So what do i need to do - to get HTML5/WEBM movies working with hardware acceleration?

- Read about "gstreamer" and "opera" - but that was a very old post. Someone said that gstreamer is now built into the latest browsers?

otherwize there are alot of "gstreamer" packages in the puppy package management system - but not sure if i need to download any of them?

Would gladly pay for help if needed,

Thanks,

Best regards,
Johan

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

I may be wrong but is gstreamer for sound handling ?

Well according to one person he watches webm content using 1% cpu.

When I tried a webm video downloaded and played with mplayer outside of any browser it used more cpu than watching using the flashplayer.

I assume you need a driver that can use hardware decoding withing the video card if available for vp8/9 data to get these 'magical' figures as other wise it seems very cpu intensive making h264 look light in comparison.

It would be nice to separate myth from fact here with working repeatable results and methods for making it work..

mike