Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 28 Aug 2014, 23:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Linux and the comitment to yet another Linux distribution
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
labbe5

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 15:36    Post subject:  Linux and the comitment to yet another Linux distribution
Subject description: a personal opinion

Hi,

I am a faithful user of Linux distributions, Puppy is the one i use the most because of its lightweight, ease of use, and the vitality of its community.

But i cannot help wondering why on earth so much effort is put into doing yet another OS in the same family, and not stick to one, and only one, making it better and better with time.

Puppy is my prime example of this tendency toward doing the same thing time and time again, under different guise, be it Slackware, Precise, whatever. It's like, eh! why not reinvent the wheel, each three to four months. Apps are all the same or at least doing more or less the same thing. For exemple, SimplicityOS, based on Puppy. I discovered 13.01, they got it right the first time, but keep up doing new OS : Carolina-based, Slakware-based, etc. So much effort and time. I guess i miss something here, some obsession i cannot understand toward replicating efforts done by others before, each three to four months. My best guess is to keep up the momentum, the desire to commit oneself to the task of doing something hard to learn et to put to practice : coding for free and open-source software in an ever-changing environnment. Focusing is not the order of the day, i think. But, let's say variety is the best protection against malware of any kind.
Thanks to everybody who commit oneself to the task of delivering OS.
RSH

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 16:03    Post subject:  

Quote:
So much effort and time. I guess i miss something here, some obsession i cannot understand toward replicating efforts done by others before, each three to four months.

I think you have missed something more.

Let's have a look at the Ubuntu based puppies. Current official Ubuntu based Puppy is Precise Puppy. It is currently at version 5.7.1 and it has officially started at 5.4 (iirc). Precise is based on Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.xx.

The previous official Ubuntu based Puppy was Lucid Puppy, which has started at version 5.0 (iirc) and has evolved to version 5.2.8 (001 - 006).

Ubuntu Lucid was a 2010 Linux and Ubuntu Precise is a 2012 Linux. I have not followed the Slacko thread, but I think it is similar or nearly identical.

Other Puppies are build by other developers, but these Puppies aren't official Puppies (afaik).

So there isn't done the same effort each three to four months - it's about two years, as the Ubuntu example is showing clearly. Also because of this, Puppy is always around one year back/behind to other Linux Systems.

Development of Linux Kernel continuous permanently and if Puppy shall be able to run newer or the newest hardware, a new build with a newer kernel has to be done.

NickAu

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 22:07    Post subject:  

Personally I love the choices. Yes there are some standard things on all puppies but thats cool too, I also understand the version numbers , eg, 5.6 5.7. or 5.7.1. They are updates of kernel and assorted fixes.

Quote:
But i cannot help wondering why on earth so much effort is put into doing yet another OS in the same family, and not stick to one, and only one, making it better and better with time.

Microsoft is over there>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lol

You get lots of choice over there don't you, So what would you like WIndows 7 or the even better Windows8 oh and by the way sir that will be 300 bucks for the Os. Oh yes and sir, the pc you own is too old to run W7 or W8 please spend 1000 bucks plus on a new 1. Need office with that? thats another 150 bucks min.

SORRY I am just being an a**hole now.

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: